Benigno can't stop talking about drafting Trevor Lawrence and it's asinine

On 8/6/2020 at 9:15 PM, Bruce Harper said:

I liked Gio’s Francesa imitations. But I guess there’s not much call for them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Gio trolling Francesa with his imitations was gold. The few times he actually poked at Mike enough to get him to call into the show was nothing short of amazing. 

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

Holding his own isn't enough for 3 overall and 3 2nd rounders.  

He's supposed to light the world on fire. 

This defies facts and logic. Sam had an absolute putrid supporting cast around him last year, save perhaps week 1. When your o-line is essentially second/third string due to injury and Maccagnan’s malfeasance and your best WR is a slot wideout - no QB in history could “light the world on fire.” Just impossible. Sure a GOAT like Brady or Manning would’ve performed better - but neither of them would’ve been lighting up the scoreboard with that Jets unit last year (For example look at New England’s offensive output under Brady last year as the season unfolded and injuries mounted - it became one of the weaker units in the league. So by your logic Brady isn’t a good QB?).

Speaking of GOAT QBs: as a rookie Manning like many all-time greats hardly lit the world on fire. What’s he throw like a NFL record 28 INTs leading the Colts to 3-13? So now you’re holding Sam to your own delusional standard? He should’ve come in as a rookie, with an average supporting cast and substandard coaching, and been HOF material straightaway? C’mon. Those who come in gangbusters as rookies - it happens occasionally, but it’s crap shoot, and not always specific to how high they’re drafted. 

If you want to argue the Jets gave up too much for Sam - sure, that’s plausible. As a QB he eventually must be leading the Jets to perennial high seed playoff berths to make good on their investment. 

The thing is, he actually must be in a legitimate NFL offense to do that. Ya know, with an o-line where he’s not running for his life, a fleet of weapons like Mahomes, Prescott, Brady Bucs and other 2020 QBs have, a competent OC, etc. Until he’s in a good NFL offense, it’s virtually impossible for him to reach his potential, whatever it is. 

The hope is Joe D’s o-line makeover and other alterations to the offense provide Sam a sound framework ... and Gase can coach it up. If that’s the case and Darnold underwhelms - only then will your Darnold argument be valid. 

On 8/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, jetscrazey said:

He brought it up again today.  It's all Benigno talks about now when anyone brings up Darnold.  "Bro I'm not sold on this quarterback" then he talks about flipping these picks to draft Lawrence.

Do people really think this or are these just the ravings of an old lunatic?

Joe

Statler and Waldorf

1 hour ago, JetsLife said:

Speaking of GOAT QBs: as a rookie Manning like many all-time greats hardly lit the world on fire. What’s he throw like a NFL record 28 INTs leading the Colts to 3-13? So now you’re holding Sam to your own delusional standard?  

there was a lot wrong with that post but I choose to respond to this part

Peyton Manning's rookie year was a semi-relevant comp after Sam's rookie year

and even more to the point Peyton Manning, even on his worst day, could read a friggin defense

it's year 3, Sam saw ghosts in year 2 

it's not delusional to want the QB with that much draft capital invested to be better than he is 

what's delusional is to expect it just because you bought a jersey at Modells 

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

I never said it wasn't a garbage roster

a guy who has that much draft capital invested in him doesn't also get to have a perfect roster

Darnold is good not special. Managers need everything around them to be excellent to perform. Like Sanchez. 

for the price of  3 2nd rounders and insta-HOF guard Quenton Nelson, 14 had to be special and only jets fans are left hoping he's special 

I don't have anything personal against the guy, he's just not that good

Every one of your overgeneralized "conclusions" is based on an insufficient sample of Sam's work.

You are a full year too early for all this garbage.  Nobody has enough data or even sufficient eyeball tests based on the situations for the Jets.  We'll see if you are even remotely close to being correct by the end of the season.  Meanwhile you and @Losmeister and the Mctrollface should find a brood to go perch yourselves in.   Frankly, Sam's numbers would be a lot better if he would just stop flinging it off his back foot when he is under pressure.  That immature habit of his has to stop and it is a major cause of his piss-poor numbers.

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Every one of your overgeneralized "conclusions" is based on an insufficient sample of Sam's work.

You are a full year too early for all this garbage.  Nobody has enough data or even sufficient eyeball tests based on the situations for the Jets.  We'll see if you are even remotely close to being correct by the end of the season.  Meanwhile you and @Losmeister and the Mctrollface should find a brood to go perch yourselves in.   Frankly, Sam's numbers would be a lot better if he would just stop flinging it off his back foot when he is under pressure.  That immature habit of his has to stop and it is a major cause of his piss-poor numbers.

What up, Dcat?

Am not sure why I am called out but that's cool...   I am just playig Missouri. SHow me. 

I like Sam. Great kid. The last bit is a major concern. His mechanical flaws...    I dunno. We'll see.

I understand perfectly that nothing is yet concluded.