7 hours ago, LSJF said:

WFAN

Boomer n Gio ... a good, not great show

Moose n Maggie ... unlistenable drek

beningo and Roberts... average Joey B mailing it in, Evan is excellent

Steve somers... was great, now not so much

Future ..

j jastremski, sal licata, Kim Jones...

The station needs to get their crap together.. i’ll give them a pass till after the pandemic

It's amazing that they haven't developed a new superstar (or even "all pro") at the station in all these years.  To replace Francesa, they brought in Carlin (who was basically a station reject) and they bought in Bart and Maggie out of nowhere.  The only new host they have at the station that seems like he's any good (to me, at least) is Chris Moore.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's amazing that they haven't developed a new superstar (or even "all pro") at the station in all these years.  To replace Francesa, they brought in Carlin (who was basically a station reject) and they bought in Bart and Maggie out of nowhere.  The only new host they have at the station that seems like he's any good (to me, at least) is Chris Moore.  

That whole CMB thing was an unmitigated disaster.  I don’t know how Chris Carlin keeps getting jobs he’s a goofball who belongs on graveyard shift on Saturday night

and Maggie Grace?  Why do these idiots keep trying to push her?  She’s not even a fan of the local teams for Pete’s sake 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I love Joe and listened all the time for years, but I agree that he's become hard to listen to in recent years, and as a result, I have become (at most) an occasional listener. 

It doesn't help that I have always found Evan to be incredibly irritating - a know-it-all who, like all know-it-alls, doesn't really know it all. 

I feel the exact same way with the only except being that Evan (who I initially found "incredibly irritating") got a little less irritating to me over time (though I find him hard to listen to without Joe).   I hate it when he goes into his "outraged voice" (where he angrily raises his voice to emphasize a point).  It's so forced.  I feel like he does it less than he used to (not that I listen that often - just in the car and sometimes via podcast).  The one thing about Evan though is that he definitely watches the games. 

Joe has historically been great but he's really been negative the past year (or couple of years).  He doesn't even hide how much he wants to retire and that they won't hear from him again when he does (unless the Jets win the Superbowl, in which case he'll call in).

• Upvote 1

It's a bad narrative to think that any golden boy is going to come in and solve all your problems.  It's not like the NBA where there are only ten players on the floor and a Lebron and Giannis is a golden ticket (with bad management or not.)  And it's not like Trevor Lawrence is considered a consensus All Pro by everybody across the board.  A good GM can find a good QB.  Regardless.  And we have one.  A bad GM can get a hold of Andrew Luck and Nerf his entire career.  (Hi there Mr. Grigson)

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

He did, but questioning why he is a MVP candidate every year.

Maybe because he's good. And if Omar didn't have googley eyes for Krod and losing their 1st round pick that year, he would be playing in Queens.

I’ve heard them bash Trout before.  Amazing how they think Jamal Adams is the greatest Safety ever even tho the jets stunk the entire time he was here but Mike Trout oh yeah he sucks

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

It's a bad narrative to think that any golden boy is going to come in and solve all your problems.  It's not like the NBA where there are only ten players on the floor and a Lebron and Giannis is a golden ticket (with bad management or not.)  And it's not like Trevor Lawrence is considered a consensus All Pro by everybody across the board.  A good GM can find a good QB.  Regardless.  And we have one.  A bad GM can get a hold of Andrew Luck and Nerf his entire career.  (Hi there Mr. Grigson)

JD’s draft this year looks good and he got a heist in the Adams trade.  Yeah it gonna tough to make a good roster after Idzik and Macagnan stunk it up for a decade but I think we are on the right track

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

JD’s draft this year looks good and he got a heist in the Adams trade.  Yeah it gonna tough to make a good roster after Idzik and Macagnan stunk it up for a decade but I think we are on the right track

Andrew Luck's career should be a test case for how to ruin a QB.  There are a few other too.  But I never blame the QB's for not living up to their potential.  Unless it's obvious they didn't put the effort in.  JaMarcus Russell would have to be given donuts in order to be motivated enough to pay attention in video breakdown.  But a franchise given a potential QB is nothing more then a round in the chamber.,  There is no one factor that you can control that will lead to overall success.  Maybe it's a combination of a lot of things that doesn't.  But somebody like Macc will move on to something else.  And if Sam had gotten hurt from a bad line last year that that $#$#$# was directly responsible for.  The fans would have just gone... OH WELL.  NEXT MAN UP!

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Andrew Luck's career should be a test case for how to ruin a QB.  There are a few other too.  But I never blame the QB's for not living up to their potential.  Unless it's obvious they didn't put the effort in.  JaMarcus Russell would have to be given donuts in order to be motivated enough to pay attention in video breakdown.  But a franchise given a potential QB is nothing more then a round in the chamber.,  There is no one factor that you can control that will lead to overall success.  Maybe it's a combination of a lot of things that doesn't.  But somebody like Macc will move on to something else.  And if Sam had gotten hurt from a bad line last year that that $#$#$# was directly responsible for.  The fans would have just gone... OH WELL.  NEXT MAN UP!

Well they invested in the Oline this offseason.  Becton is going to be really good.  They also got rid of crappy holdovers like Winters

the bigger issue is Gase.  I live in Indianapolis and any Colts fan will tell you what really ruined Luck was him losing Bruce Arians as a rookie and having Chuck Pagano who is a nice guy but a mediocre head coach.  Luck’s OC for several years Pep Hamilton was really bad

Gase looked bad last year.  If he keeps being a pompous JAG HC who gives up on games when he’s down multiple scores  Sam will be similarly ruined

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Well they invested in the Oline this offseason.  Becton is going to be really good.  They also got rid of crappy holdovers like Winters

the bigger issue is Gase.  I live in Indianapolis and any Colts fan will tell you what really ruined Luck was him losing Bruce Arians as a rookie and having Chuck Pagano who is a nice guy but a mediocre head coach.  Luck’s OC for several years Pep Hamilton was really bad

Gase looked bad last year.  If he keeps being a pompous JAG HC who gives up on games when he’s down multiple scores  Sam will be similarly ruined

No idea about Gase.  Either he's somebody who's ideas and methods translate or they don't.  I think it's that simple.  I am beginning to think that they doesn't.  Just my own two cents.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Since drafting Darnold, the Jets are 0-6 when he doesn't play.  They are 11-14 when he plays.  It doesn't get much more black and white in terms of one player putting a team on his back.

His numbers are far from great.  His record is sub .500.  But he has been carrying a team that talent wise may be the worst in the NFL and is doing his best to give them a puncher's chance.

Things need to be analyzed with some perspective.

OIP.R5LFdHnrgLSU-GSi7jmiRAHaE8?pid=Api&r

On 8/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, jetscrazey said:

He brought it up again today.  It's all Benigno talks about now when anyone brings up Darnold.  "Bro I'm not sold on this quarterback" then he talks about flipping these picks to draft Lawrence.

Do people really think this or are these just the ravings of an old lunatic?

You know what has always amused me? When I've heard people that sound like Joe, with that awful, grating New Yawk accent say that Southern accents sound stupid. LOL.

As a kid from Queens that managed to escape New York AND the Southern drawl speaking Army without any accent at all, its amusing... 

"Hey, yo! You from Flah-ridah, right?"

"Howdy, ya'll. Wanna see me ride that there allugater?"

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I always enjoyed listening to WFAN, but their parent company Entercom is an absolute mess right now. 

Traditional sports talk radio to me is somewhat dated. I much rather spend my time listening to podcasts. 

• Upvote 2

WFAN
Boomer n Gio ... a good, not great show
Moose n Maggie ... unlistenable drek
beningo and Roberts... average Joey B mailing it in, Evan is excellent

Steve somers... was great, now not so much
Future ..
j jastremski, sal licata, Kim Jones...
The station needs to get their crap together.. i’ll give them a pass till after the pandemic

I liked Gio’s Francesa imitations. But I guess there’s not much call for them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

On 8/5/2020 at 3:45 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I like Darnold.

I want Darnold to do well.

I think that Darnold has the tools to become a top 10 QB.

I am optimistic about Darnold.

I am not sold on Darnold. When I see him put the team on his back, I will be sold. 

There were more than “glimpses” of that even in his Rookie year.

He had Houston and their Top 5 D beat as he put the garbage squad around him on his back. Toilet Bowles D of course gave the game away in the final drive...that should have been a notch on Darnold’s belt.  JJ Watt congratulated his effort right after the game telling Darnold “you’re going to be a great pro”.

Following week Darnold had Aaron Rodgers and his Packers beat in a ahoot out, putting the garbage squad on his back, and Toilet’s D gave the game away AGAIN in the final drive.

There have been definitely enough instances of greatness seen, and also inconsistencies.

With more protection and maybe some kind of running game there will be a much easier way to analyze and grade Darnold.  I’ve just seen him have to play 1 on 11 far far too often. 

I don’t think that it is possible to evaluate Sam yet.  He had the worst offensive line in the league.  His lead running back was hit behind the line of scrimmage more than any other runner in the league.  Did he  all of a sudden become a bum?  What qb in the history of the league would have succeeded behind the Jets line?

As for making those around him better, how was he supposed to do that?  Was he supposed to block for himself?  Was he supposed to throw the ball to receivers who were not open?     Incidentally, I was not a big fan of Robby Anderson. 

Context is everything. IF The offensive line gives him time and if his new receivers can get open and Sam does not improve, only then is it fair to say that Sam might not be the franchise qb.  

One other point:  Every draft guru that I Have ever heard has stated that what matters most in determining the success of a qb is the situation into which he is drafted.  How good is the coach?  How good is his offensive line?   How good is the front office when he is  drafted?  How is ownership?  I am not saying that Sam is Mahomes, but does anyone think that there would be any doubts about Sam if he were playing with the coach and offensive players that Mahomes has?

As an earlier poster stated, even with the terrible offensive roster, a questionable coach,  and with mono, Sam improved last year!  Context, everyone!   Tell us what qb in the league would have succeeded with last year’s Jets?

9 hours ago, yvj said:

I really like Sam but if you are in position to draft a potential franchise QB (this doesn't ,mean breaking one's back giving up picks for him) unless you have Mahomes you do it.

So you dont think that Sam is a potential FQB, because if he is you dont do it.

Makes no sense to do it if you believe.

And its apparent that JD does 

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And that same colts roster went 10-6 the year before, your point?

That's with Peyton Manning tearing up the league. Not exactly selling your point of having a decent team around him when they went 10-6 with Peyton Manning. For comparison the last time they went 10-6 with Manning was in 2002. Every year after 2002 they went 12-4 or better. And they might have well been the Lions considering how the team ended Luck's career by getting him repeatedly injured with that turnstile offensive line they put in front of him. Completely wasted Andrew Luck's career.

8 hours ago, JoeFan said:

I don’t think that it is possible to evaluate Sam yet.  He had the worst offensive line in the league.  His lead running back was hit behind the line of scrimmage more than any other runner in the league.  Did he  all of a sudden become a bum?  What qb in the history of the league would have succeeded behind the Jets line?

As for making those around him better, how was he supposed to do that?  Was he supposed to block for himself?  Was he supposed to throw the ball to receivers who were not open?     Incidentally, I was not a big fan of Robby Anderson. 

Context is everything. IF The offensive line gives him time and if his new receivers can get open and Sam does not improve, only then is it fair to say that Sam might not be the franchise qb.  

One other point:  Every draft guru that I Have ever heard has stated that what matters most in determining the success of a qb is the situation into which he is drafted.  How good is the coach?  How good is his offensive line?   How good is the front office when he is  drafted?  How is ownership?  I am not saying that Sam is Mahomes, but does anyone think that there would be any doubts about Sam if he were playing with the coach and offensive players that Mahomes has?

As an earlier poster stated, even with the terrible offensive roster, a questionable coach,  and with mono, Sam improved last year!  Context, everyone!   Tell us what qb in the league would have succeeded with last year’s Jets?

I mean where you get drafted is important, but the elite guys tend to show up no matter what. Look at the situation Watson is in, anyone want to seriously tell me O'brien is a good coach? Or look at Luck and dumpster fire he was in. Was still able to rise to the occasion despite playing for a terrible organization that ended his career.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, jetscrazey said:

He brought it up again today.  It's all Benigno talks about now when anyone brings up Darnold.  "Bro I'm not sold on this quarterback" then he talks about flipping these picks to draft Lawrence.

Do people really think this or are these just the ravings of an old lunatic?

I'm totally  convinced that his whole show is based on making the most controversial statements  possible  and having someone on Jets Nation post a thread about them

2 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

Depends on this year, JD could easily replace him if we end up with a top 5 pick.

No he can’t, you can’t easily replace a FQB drafted 2 years ago for a #1 pick in the 2021 draft.  No one is moving out of the one spot if they need a QB and they probably will, it’s usually why you’re picking 1st.  If not the cost to move up will be too much for a team that just isn’t sure about their QB as opposed to doesn’t have a QB.  Huge difference 

20 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

No idea about Gase.  Either he's somebody who's ideas and methods translate or they don't.  I think it's that simple.  I am beginning to think that they doesn't.  Just my own two cents.

I am willing to give Gase another year but he did not look good last year

His playcalling was vanilla and it was obvious he didn’t prepare the backup QBs once Sam got injured 

6 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

That's with Peyton Manning tearing up the league. Not exactly selling your point of having a decent team around him when they went 10-6 with Peyton Manning. For comparison the last time they went 10-6 with Manning was in 2002. Every year after 2002 they went 12-4 or better. And they might have well been the Lions considering how the team ended Luck's career by getting him repeatedly injured with that turnstile offensive line they put in front of him. Completely wasted Andrew Luck's career.

Dude stop.  That team Luck has as a rookie wasn’t a typical 2-14 team they made the playoffs the year before and did the smart thing and ranked once it was obvious they weren’t going to compete with Curtis Painter at qb

If there is no season, anyone even fathoming drafting a quarterback in 2021 needs their ******* head examined. Experience is by far the most necessary component for a prospect and a recent year of play if 100% required for drafting a QB high. Two seasons as a starter is usually fine but if we're talking giving up multiple assets to move up and draft someone that did not play their junior and senior seasons that would be the Jetsiest thing ever done.