Benigno can't stop talking about drafting Trevor Lawrence and it's asinine

59 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is exactly correct.  If we have the #1 pick, we take Lawrence, because you don't get the#1 overall pick by accident.  Even if Darnold misses the season, you take Lawrence, because, then 3 seasons in, Darnold still hasn't played a full one.  Whoever has the #1 overall pick will do the same, so there's no trading for him.

Or, if you're not sold on Lawrence, you trade down for a sh*t ton of picks while targeting a QB (either in that class or the next one) who you DO like.

Either way, ending up with a top 5 pick would be evidence enough that its time to find a new QB.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Or, if you're not sold on Lawrence, you trade down for a sh*t ton of picks while targeting a QB (either in that class or the next one) who you DO like.

If I'm at one, and there's a QB I want not named Lawrence, I don't think I'd get cute.  I'd just take that QB.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

IF there is an NFL season in 2020 and IF Sam Darnold fails to deliver a decent season and numbers, the NY Jets do not have a choice but to consider it. 

For once, spot on.

I cannot imagine that JD would ignore the possibility IF (huge if) Sam Darnold has an under-performing or disappointing 2020 campaign.

If Darnold leads a meh effort team, goes 6-10 or the like, and ends up the 25th ranked QB in production in 2020......yeah, JD is absolutely going to look at the QB position and what that haul could do for him.  He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't. 

Easy enough to end such thoughts...Sam Darnold needs to truly perform at a Franchise QB level in 2020.  If he is elite, he needs to play elite.  Then no one will be talking about drafting another QB.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

You're not a finished product by 25, but you usually know what you got...

Lamar Jackson (23) - Elite

Deshaun Watson (24) - Great 

Goff (24) -  above average

Baker (25) - inconsistent

Sam Darnold (23) - inconsistent

Tribusky (24) - terrible

Let's pump the brakes on Lamar.  What would you have said about RG III after his first season?  Probably "elite".  What would you have said about Goff and Baker going into last year?  Probably that they both could be great.  A year later, they're both question marks. 

I still predict that, by next year, Sam will be viewed as a better QB than Lamar.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Let's pump the brakes on Lamar.  What would you have said about RG III after his first season?  Probably "elite".  What would you have said about Goff and Baker going into last year?  Probably that they both could be great.  A year later, they're both question marks. 

I still predict that, by next year, Sam will be viewed as a better QB than Lamar.

I was never all that impressed with Goff; even in the year they reached the Super Bowl.  Neither are a lot of Rams fans out there.

That's not the case with Lamar Jackson.  He's a very underrated thrower.  He could limit his carries to 5 or less per game and still be a stud QB.  The RG3 comparison is just silly.  Apples and oranges comparison.

In the end, I believe Sam Darnold is going to prove all of the doubters wrong.

It cannot be overstated how poor of a supporting cast Darnold had around him in his first two seasons.  When Darnold has not played, the Jets are 0-6 which is an accurate representation of one of the worst teams in the league.  The running game has been non-existent, the offensive line has been as bad as I have ever witnessed in my decades of watching football, and the skill position players have left much to be desired.  He is the most pressured quarterback in the NFL.

Despite all of the factors going against him, Darnold managed to hold his own and improved in every major statistical category in his second year.  Most other quarterbacks would have crumbled (mentally and physically) by now.  He is hanging in there and continues to progress.  He went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck as a rookie, and he beat a far superior Dallas Cowboys team last year.  I expect such examples to continue in the years to come and become more consistent occurrences as he gains experience.

I firmly believe that if Joe Douglas puts a legitimate team around Darnold he is going to prove to be a legitimately great quarterback both statistically and in terms of wins.  The sky is the limit.

My biggest concern right now is the injuries and illnesses.  He has yet to play a full 16 game season, and he seems to have a knack for some peculiar injuries, albeit minor.  He needs to stay on the field and continue to shine as the team around him is improved.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I am not sold on Darnold. When I see him put the team on his back, I will be sold. 

Since drafting Darnold, the Jets are 0-6 when he doesn't play.  They are 11-14 when he plays.  It doesn't get much more black and white in terms of one player putting a team on his back.

His numbers are far from great.  His record is sub .500.  But he has been carrying a team that talent wise may be the worst in the NFL and is doing his best to give them a puncher's chance.

Things need to be analyzed with some perspective.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I still believe nobody is trading the right to draft Lawrence. I don’t care if the chiefs somehow end up with the top pick and Mahomes is perfectly healthy and fine. They’ll draft him to be the greatest backup in history.

lawrence is the best qb prospect since Peyton. You can’t punt on him. And if there is a trade by some miracle, it’ll take much more than what we got because the team with the top pick will have a bidding war in their benefit.

Joe Benigno is a moron who desires never to be happy. Actually, he’s happiest in a constant state of misery. 

The jets roster is bad enough we could easily compete for #1 if sam isnt ballin.. but i agree no one is trading Lawrence. He is legit the best prospect since Luck. In terms of hype,ability and production. 

That being said Sam looks like his in terrific shape im hoping this is the year. He take step and becomes the BEST player on the field for us week and week out . Not just the most important. 

I love Joe and listened all the time for years, but I agree that he's become hard to listen to in recent years, and as a result, I have become (at most) an occasional listener. 

It doesn't help that I have always found Evan to be incredibly irritating - a know-it-all who, like all know-it-alls, doesn't really know it all. 

As for the premise of drafting Lawrence, a couple of things about Lawrence:

1) I don't love how much hype he has. I wonder if he is really as can't miss as everyone seems to think. 

2) You aren't getting him unless you have the number 1 overall pick because whichever team ends up with the number 1 pick will almost definitely not have a QB in place that it believes in more than Lawrence. Now, if the Jets landed the number 1 pick, it would either mean that Darnold seriously regressed, or that he was injured. In either case, if you thought Lawrence was the guy, you would have to take him. 

3) The Jets aren't getting the number 1 overall pick. (end discussion)

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I am listening way less to sports radio now that there’s podcasts and all this other stuff out there. Beningo before he became a Jamal Adams groupie schill was a great listen.  Mike Francesa I liked listening to but he grew tired of the prank calls

I think when he saw the outpouring of support the first time he left WFAN, he (wrongly) assumed he could turn that into a lot of money with his overpriced ($8.99/mo) app.  Aside from the fact that he was behind the times, he also was really lazy.  He talked about "immediacy" with the app but didn't seem to go live after games like he promised he would (I wasn't a subscriber but that was the impression I got from reading about it).  I remember he was criticized for not "going live" after a Yankee playoff game.  He made some excuse that he would've gone live but the game was a blowout so he didn't need to.

IIRC, he also joined Twitter at that point and Funhouse relentlessly (and hilariously!) started mocking him.  People started to pick up on it and they started to try to "one up" each other.  That's when the pranks really kicked into full gear.  He also gave fans a ton of "ammunition" with his absolutely atrocious year of football predictions (not to mention his predictions about everything else!)

Francesa was really kind of a phenomenon.  There was definitely a time when he was liked for his sports talk but there has always been an undercurrent of laughing at him for both his "lawn guyland" accent and his pomposity.  I remember him talking about how he showed up to a Francesacon (which was created as a way to poke fun at him) and wished everyone could experience something that amazing at least once in their lives.  He was so clueless about what was going on but it was that exact lack-of-awareness that people loved about him and the whole thing fed unto itself ("NUM-BUH  ONE!  NUM-BUH  ONE!")

Eventually, of course, the "Francesa bubble" popped when he became cranky and joyless.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was never all that impressed with Goff; even in the year they reached the Super Bowl.  Neither are a lot of Rams fans out there.

That's not the case with Lamar Jackson.  He's a very underrated thrower.  He could limit his carries to 5 or less per game and still be a stud QB.  The RG3 comparison is just silly.  Apples and oranges comparison.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but let's revisit the topic in a year.

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's an MVP QB.. so nah he's miles better than Goff and Baker ever where

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just curious, but how do you see that shift happening?

As in, what will Sam have to produce (and how little will Lamar produce) to cause that kind of a shift?

Sam was a 7-6 QB with bottom 5 production in 2019.  

Lamar was a 13-2 QB with top 10 production in 2019.

So in 2020, are you predicting this will flip, than Sam will be top 10 in production and a big winner, and Lamar will be bottom 5 or so, and a .500 or so QB?

I'm just having trouble seeing in real terms how your prediction is going to come true.

2 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

If we're picking in the top 5 and he plays the majority of the games of the season, then we're drafting a new qb. It's that simple. It would be asinine to do anything else. Darnold has yet to show why his job should be secure.

Even if we pick top 5 because Darnold gets hurt, it means we can't count on him to stay healthy, and should be looking for a new QB regardless.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if we pick top 5 because Darnold gets hurt, it means we can't count on him to stay healthy, and should be looking for a new QB regardless.

Yeah this is true. You have to figure a new coaching staff is going to want there own guy. Plus Darnold hasn't shown anything that should prevent us from drafting a new guy top 5. His rookie contract is also expiring. Problem I have with Darnold is I don't expect him to ever be a top 5 guy. I could see him being an average starter and breaking into the top 10, but that's the territory of guys like Flacco, Dalton, etc. Don't really see Darnold ever being a Mahomes Rodgers, or Luck.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Yeah this is true. You have to figure a new coaching staff is going to want there own guy. Plus Darnold hasn't shown anything that should prevent us from drafting a new guy top 5. His rookie contract is also expiring. Problem I have with Darnold is I don't expect him to ever be a top 5 guy. I could see him being an average starter and breaking into the top 10, but that's the territory of guys like Flacco, Dalton, etc. Don't really see Darnold ever being a Mahomes Rodgers, or Luck.

I still like his ceiling to be top 15, and you can win a lot of games in this league with a guy like that.  It's also hard to find a top-half QB so I'd be hesitant to move on too quickly. 

So much is riding on this season when it comes to the future at QB.

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, but how do you see that shift happening?

As in, what will Sam have to produce (and how little will Lamar produce) to cause that kind of a shift?

Sam was a 7-6 QB with bottom 5 production in 2019.  

Lamar was a 13-2 QB with top 10 production in 2019.

So in 2020, are you predicting this will flip, than Sam will be top 10 in production and a big winner, and Lamar will be bottom 5 or so, and a .500 or so QB?

I'm just having trouble seeing in real terms how your prediction is going to come true.

I think Sam steps up his game now that he has an OL (though weak WRs).  He won't necessarily put up huge yardage numbers but I think he'll be seen as "clutch" and "a winner".  Meanwhile, I think teams will probably get more creative in defending Lamar plus there's always a chance he'll get hurt.  In any case, if they turn him into more of a dropback QB (e.g. if he takes a big hit and the HC demands he change his style) then I think he takes a step back.  I still feel that odds are that every runner takes a big hit once in a while.  It felt like Lamar was very clever about not taking big hits last year.  We'll see if he can get away with it again this year.  His scrambling is the key to his game.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Since drafting Darnold, the Jets are 0-6 when he doesn't play.  They are 11-14 when he plays.  It doesn't get much more black and white in terms of one player putting a team on his back.

His numbers are far from great.  His record is sub .500.  But he has been carrying a team that talent wise may be the worst in the NFL and is doing his best to give them a puncher's chance.

I'm going to pretend that you didn't use an 11-14 record as an argument for putting a team on your back. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Sam steps up his game now that he has an OL (though weak WRs).  He won't necessarily put up huge yardage numbers but I think he'll be seen as "clutch" and "a winner".  Meanwhile, I think teams will probably get more creative in defending Lamar plus there's always a chance he'll get hurt.  In any case, if they turn him into more of a dropback QB (e.g. if he takes a big hit and the HC demands he change his style) then I think he takes a step back.  I still feel that odds are that every runner takes a big hit once in a while.  It felt like Lamar was very clever about not taking big hits last year.  We'll see if he can get away with it again this year.  His scrambling is the key to his game.  

A very well thought out and rational answer, thank you.

I don't see it happening (the Sam considered a better QB than Lamar), but kudoes for having thought it out and having a rational basis for your view, that makes this a rare post on JN these days, lol! +Rep Indeed!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Darnold is going to be a serviceable to above average QB for his career. I haven't seen anything from Darnold that leads me to believe that he will ever be elite. I sure hope that I am wrong and have to eat crow. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think when he saw the outpouring of support the first time he left WFAN, he (wrongly) assumed he could turn that into a lot of money with his overpriced ($8.99/mo) app.  Aside from the fact that he was behind the times, he also was really lazy.  He talked about "immediacy" with the app but didn't seem to go live after games like he promised he would (I wasn't a subscriber but that was the impression I got from reading about it).  I remember he was criticized for not "going live" after a Yankee playoff game.  He made some excuse that he would've gone live but the game was a blowout so he didn't need to.

IIRC, he also joined Twitter at that point and Funhouse relentlessly (and hilariously!) started mocking him.  People started to pick up on it and they started to try to "one up" each other.  That's when the pranks really kicked into full gear.  He also gave fans a ton of "ammunition" with his absolutely atrocious year of football predictions (not to mention his predictions about everything else!)

Francesa was really kind of a phenomenon.  There was definitely a time when he was liked for his sports talk but there has always been an undercurrent of laughing at him for both his "lawn guyland" accent and his pomposity.  I remember him talking about how he showed up to a Francesacon (which was created as a way to poke fun at him) and wished everyone could experience something that amazing at least once in their lives.  He was so clueless about what was going on but it was that exact lack-of-awareness that people loved about him and the whole thing fed unto itself ("NUM-BUH  ONE!  NUM-BUH  ONE!")

Eventually, of course, the "Francesa bubble" popped when he became cranky and joyless.

Let’s be honest.  Sour Shoes ended Mike Francesa

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Yeah compare that to Luck's rookie season where he took a 2-14 team to 11-5 his rookie year.

Well they went 2-14 because Peyton missed the season, and Indy didn't see value in adding a competent backup.  Essentially, they tanked.

That wasn't a 2-14 roster with a decent backup.  More like 6-10 or so.

Still impressive that Luck was probably worth, say, +5 wins right out of the gate.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Well they went 2-14 because Peyton missed the season, and Indy didn't see value in adding a competent backup.  Essentially, they tanked.

That wasn't a 2-14 roster with a decent backup.  More like 6-10 or so.

That team went 10-6 in 2010 and made the playoffs and came pretty close to beating us.  Luck was a great player but he didn’t exactly take the ‘08 Lions to the playoffs 

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Stop stating straightforward facts that show Sam is actually being underrated by the ignorant media dammit

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Joe and Evan are crapping on Trout now. These are two nobodies know very little about sports. Choose not to except analytics, and people look up to these bozos as if their word was gold.

Didn’t he hit 2 HRs last night?