CMart took a large pay cut

tonysxl1200c

Im sorry to bring up an older topic, but I have some new figures on C-Mart's restructure.

His base salary for 2006 is now $2,500,000, down from $6,216,667.

However, to keep his total salary around $4.4M, which is wha't being widely reported, he did not take an additional signing bonus, strictly a pay cut.

If you add his base to his previous yearly signing bonus proration, you get the $4.4M:

$2,500,000 + $1,907,021 = $4,407,021

I know that my signing bonus proration is dead on because the league published C-Mart's total salary as part of the Franchise/Transition document.

http://www.nflpa.org/PDFs/Media/FranchiseAndTransition_2006.pdf

His base last year, which was $3,683,333, plus my proration of $1,907,021, equals exactly the Franchise document 2005 salary of $5,590,354.

I know it's confusing, but there's no other conclusion to make other than Curtis took one for the team in the amount of just over $3.7M. Thanks Curtis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sorry to bring up an older topic, but I have some new figures on C-Mart's restructure.

His base salary for 2006 is now $2,500,000, down from $6,216,667.

However, to keep his total salary around $4.4M, which is wha't being widely reported, he did not take an additional signing bonus, strictly a pay cut.

If you add his base to his previous yearly signing bonus proration, you get the $4.4M:

$2,500,000 + $1,907,021 = $4,407,021

I know that my signing bonus proration is dead on because the league published C-Mart's total salary as part of the Franchise/Transition document.

http://www.nflpa.org/PDFs/Media/FranchiseAndTransition_2006.pdf

His base last year, which was $3,683,333, plus my proration of $1,907,021, equals exactly the Franchise document 2005 salary of $5,590,354.

I know it's confusing, but there's no other conclusion to make other than Curtis took one for the team in the amount of just over $3.7M. Thanks Curtis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great guy. He's the anti-TO.

Martin is the guy that every man should want to be like, not just every football player. Martin cares about his friends, his family, his teammates and his franchise more then anyone else out there. Martin is one of the greatest guys and my all-time favorite football player.

Chad should take a good look at Martin. A HOF player taking a pay cut to help the team he has carried for the last decade.

Chad hasn't done **** and he hasn't earned dollar 1 of that contract. In fact. he never did anything to get that kind of deal to begin with.

Chad Pennington = Mistake

Chad should take a good look at Martin. A HOF player taking a pay cut to help the team he has carried for the last decade.

Chad hasn't done **** and he hasn't earned dollar 1 of that contract. In fact. he never did anything to get that kind of deal to begin with.

Chad Pennington = Mistake

I wonder if you were saying the same thing about Pennington two years ago. I agree he should take the paycut but before he got hurt he was damn good.

I wonder if you were saying the same thing about Pennington two years ago. I agree he should take the paycut but before he got hurt he was damn good.

Even back in the day I think some of us (including myself) who loved Pennington thought 7 years - 64 million was a bit too much for a guy with 1 great season. He could've been a year wonder for all we knew. 7 years - 42 million would've been fine.

Please.

What were CuMar's options?

Refuse to take the cut, get released and try and sign on with another team?

How marketable is a 33-year old RB coming off a knee injury?

He would have ended up like Emmitt Smith did in Arizona.

Even back in the day I think some of us (including myself) who loved Pennington thought 7 years - 64 million was a bit too much for a guy with 1 great season. He could've been a year wonder for all we knew. 7 years - 42 million would've been fine...maybe even less then that.

Before he got hurt? when was that? The shoulder,the wrist?. Ive been bashing Mrs.Pennington since way back.

I hope I cured your curiosity.

Please.

Except Martin still has gas in the tank.

He ran for the NFL rushing title in 2004...how quickly most of you forget about that.

He's still got something left and if he wasn't hurt....**** if he would've played hurt the rest of the way he would've had 1100 yards. Mark my word, Curtis Martin will run for 1200 yards in 2006.

Please.

He could have pulled a Pennington. You are clueless old man. Take a month or 2 off.

Martin is the guy that every man should want to be like, not just every football player. Martin cares about his friends, his family, his teammates and his franchise more then anyone else out there. Martin is one of the greatest guys and my all-time favorite football player.

What else would you expect from someone who two years ago was so dented that he had to be picked up & then lifted back up into the second floor of his townhouse every game by 4 of his offensive linemen.

And you never saw him complain...

That's a hero in my book!

Are you listening Chadwick?!!!:baby:

Except Martin still has gas in the tank.

He ran for the NFL rushing title in 2004...how quickly most of you forget about that.

He's still got something left and if he wasn't hurt....**** if he would've played hurt the rest of the way he would've had 1100 yards. Mark my word, Curtis Martin will run for 1200 yards in 2006.

There has been a little too much of this wishful thinking stuff going on here. Running backs his age are either retired or done. He isn't a bull like Riggins; he ssn't running over people, he cuts back. And he's lost a step and then some and he's been hurt 2 of the last 3 years. If he runs for 1200 yards it would be unprecedented in NFL history. He would be outperforming every other RB at that age except John Riggins. And when you get past all the "warrior" crap that argument is wishful thinking of the silliest kind. He may be a solid performer in an ensemble of backs-that's it. Please-run around the numbers a while and tell me how he's better than Payton, Harris, Emmitt, Riggins. BECAUSE HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THOSE GUYS. he's a Hofer, but he's on the downside.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/rbindex.htm

Make a real sensible argument with some salient facts-like all those big-time games he has put the jets on his back in the 4th and run out the clock. We had 5 years of warrior idiocy. The grownups are now in charge.

And Savage is now going to eat you for lunch. Gitt'em boy!

Unfortunately Martin is not held in high esteem as a player by

Jet fandom. The reasons have been beaten to death on all the boards

so I won't go down that road now.

However most probably agree with what you posted.

There has been a little too much of this wishful thinking stuff going on here. Running backs his age are either retired or done. He isn't a bull like Riggins; he ssn't running over people, he cuts back. And he's lost a step and then some and he's been hurt 2 of the last 3 years. If he runs for 1200 yards it would be unprecedented in NFL history. He would be outperforming every other RB at that age except John Riggins. And when you get past all the "warrior" crap that argument is wishful thinking of the silliest kind. He may be a solid performer in an ensemble of backs-that's it. Please-run around the numbers a while and tell me how he's better than Payton, Harris, Emmitt, Riggins. BECAUSE HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THOSE GUYS. he's a Hofer, but he's on the downside.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/rbindex.htm

Make a real sensible argument with some salient facts-like all those big-time games he has put the jets on his back in the 4th and run out the clock. We had 5 years of warrior idiocy. The grownups are now in charge.

And Savage is now going to eat you for lunch. Gitt'em boy!

Great post Bugg.

Great post Bugg.

I will not argue the veracity of what Martin has left. That is an argument that none of know, and would be foolish to venture.

I have also stated many times here what I think of Martins legacy in teh NFl and where I woudl rank him.

What I will comment on though is some peoples notion of leaning so hard on pure statistical numbers (yards, yards per carry, etc), and determining that is the encompassment of what a player is worth. Tie it up in one neat package if you will.

To do that, is pretty short sighted.

I will not argue the veracity of what Martin has left. That is an argument that none of know, and would be foolish to venture.

I have also stated many times here what I think of Martins legacy in teh NFl and where I woudl rank him.

What I will comment on though is some peoples notion of leaning so hard on pure statistical numbers (yards, yards per carry, etc), and determining that is the encompassment of what a player is worth. Tie it up in one neat package if you will.

To do that, is pretty short sighted.

Dierk,

The statistiscal accomplishments of 33-year old+ RB's in the NFL are facts.

The vast majority (no matter how good they were in their prime) of them hit the proverbial wall and their drop-off in production is drastic once they reach that age.

And you are correct, know one knows exactly what CuMar has left.

But the odds are stacked very heavily against him based on past history.

Martin was as likely to receive a $6.2M from us (or anyone) as McNair was as likely to receive that $50M escalator in his contract. So if McNair agrees to only make $5M this year (as the starting QB), he took a $45M pay cut right??? Sure. Only if someone ELSE was about to give him $50M for the 2006 season. McNair's situation is over the top, but its extreme nature helps to illustrate what should be obvious:

Curtis Martin did not take a paycut. Neither we, nor anyone else in the world, were going to pay him that $6.2M for the 2006 season. Mangini & Tannenbaum know it & you can bet Martin knows it. So unless there was a line of teams wishing to give a 33 yr old RB - coming off season-ending knee surgery - a new deal that paid him $3M or more for 2006, the idea that he gave up money is as valid as saying McNair took a $45M paycut.

The one thing I would say in his favor about this is - that IF he could've made the same money elsewhere (unlikely, but IF he could) - it would've been far worse for our 2006 cap (and only our 2006 cap) if he did.

But he didn't take a paycut. If you said he cut his salary to $1.5M then that would be a paycut since I'd agree SOME team would've put up at least $1.51M.

Dierk,

The statistiscal accomplishments of 33-year old+ RB's in the NFL are facts.

The vast majority (no matter how good they were in their prime) of them hit the proverbial wall and their drop-off in production is drastic once they reach that age.

And you are correct, know one knows exactly what CuMar has left.

But the odds are stacked very heavily against him based on past history.

TX-I said I will not argue any of those points

Martin was as likely to receive a $6.2M from us (or anyone) as McNair was as likely to receive that $50M escalator in his contract. So if McNair agrees to only make $5M this year (as the starting QB), he took a $45M pay cut right??? Sure. Only if someone ELSE was about to give him $50M for the 2006 season. McNair's situation is over the top, but its extreme nature helps to illustrate what should be obvious:

Curtis Martin did not take a paycut. Neither we, nor anyone else in the world, were going to pay him that $6.2M for the 2006 season. Mangini & Tannenbaum know it & you can bet Martin knows it. So unless there was a line of teams wishing to give a 33 yr old RB - coming off season-ending knee surgery - a new deal that paid him $3M or more for 2006, the idea that he gave up money is as valid as saying McNair took a $45M paycut.

The one thing I would say in his favor about this is - that IF he could've made the same money elsewhere (unlikely, but IF he could) - it would've been far worse for our 2006 cap (and only our 2006 cap) if he did.

But he didn't take a paycut. If you said he cut his salary to $1.5M then that would be a paycut since I'd agree SOME team would've put up at least $1.51M.

So, poor job by the Jets hierarchy?

Not at all. It was the obvious move for everyone involved. But people are making it out like either an act of genius by the Jets heirarchy, a selfless act by Martin, or both.

I think they are doing that because the Jets are doing that.

I don't know the precendent here as far as the cut, and how many other players have taken a cut like that at this stage of their careers. Nor do I think that it really matters.

It is football and a business. Both of those facts collided on this issue.

It is just interesting what a big deal the Jets made about it.

I think they are doing that because the Jets are doing that.

I don't know the precendent here as far as the cut, and how many other players have taken a cut like that at this stage of their careers. Nor do I think that it really matters.

It is football and a business. Both of those facts collided on this issue.

It is just interesting what a big deal the Jets made about it.

Last word freak.

I said it before, and I'll say it again:

Curtis Martin was brought here for one reason, and one reason only-

To win a championship. That window of opportunity closed sometime around 2000. Since then, he's been preoccupied with compling stats. Bottom line, he failed to deliver the goods. He didn't do anything Adrien Murrell couldn't have accomplished. It's not his fault though; the circumstances after Hess died, and the fact that the team was without ownership for one year, and then when it finally purchased, the owner didn't have a clue as to how to run the operation. He then hired a novice GM and an unqualified HC, who paid this guy and treated this guy like a sacred cow.

I can't blame Martin for taking advantage of the situation.

yeah right more like teams such as Philly or PIttsburgh would have signed him and rode him like a horse. he would have broken the rushing record in another uniform, now he's going to do it as a Jet (and Savage will owe me a bottle of whiskey!) :cheers:

Not at all. It was the obvious move for everyone involved. But people are making it out like either an act of genius by the Jets heirarchy, a selfless act by Martin, or both.

It may have been obvious, but do you think this would have happened if Bradway and Edwards had remained in charge?

It may have been obvious, but do you think this would have happened if Bradway and Edwards had remained in charge?

Don't make me laugh. Bradway/Edwards would've given him $5M in guaranteed money by converting salary to SB, in addition to his 2006 salary. (Which would also ensure that he's got a paying job the following year since it's impossilbe to cut him...again).

Team player or not, if it was offered I don't think Curtis would turn that down. Money is money and if offered, Curtis wouldn't be dumb enough to give up $5M+ in his pocket to alleviate the Jets' salary cap a little bit.

Ahhh..Another thread kissing the Butt of the Stat Monkey,Tuna's favorite Son!:rolleyes: It's nice to see Tex,Bugg,Spermie and JetMo get it right! Lets look at facts! As Tex said how big is the Market for a 33 year old Back coming off knee surgery?? And 1 question on this Great Guy Team player thing?? Was he a Great Guy when he left the Team that Drafted him and gave him a starting spot as a rookie so he could start his 1,000 yd meaningless stat crap? When he left his Pat Teammates for the Big Bucks Tuna offered was he a Great Guy? Not to mention leaving for the same Money the Pats offered sans the right for the Player to void the Contract after 1 year! The League office didn't think that was Great and declared that illegal in furture Contracts! So in essense what your saying is,even if your best friend was a serial Killer as long as he don't kill you he's a Class Guy! Oh and as far as Cumar being a Great Jet, why is his favorite Game as a Pro playing AGAINST the Jets when he was a Pat?? Hmmmmm:box:

Archived