Another Klecko snub !!!!!!!

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You could argue he wasn't the best on that Dline.

No, I couldn't. Maybe you could.

But I couldn't because I actually saw them play. Gastineau was an idiot. A guy, for all his talent, mostly should be remembered for a very late hit on Bryan Sipe that pretty much cost the best team of that era a chance for a SB.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, phill1c said:

But I couldn't because I actually saw them play. Gastineau was an idiot. A guy, for all his talent, mostly should be remembered for a very late hit on Bryan Sipe that pretty much cost the best team of that era a chance for a SB.

I was there with you.  Winning that game would have only put us in the AFC Championship game, for what it's worth.  The game was won, and our idiot Gastineau blew it.

Why people who never saw them play would argue that Gastineau was somehow better than Klecko seems like these people are bored, and nothing else to do but argue something that they have no knowledge of.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Alka said:

Ok genius, unfortunately you need to delve deeper if you want to be taken seriously.

Let me educate you!  #1  The NFL did not record sacks as a statistic until 1982.  So, if you are a simpleton, and you read the stat sheet, it would appear that Joe Klecko only got 24 sacks in his career. The fact is that Klecko got 51.5 sacks before 1982, so that I one fallacy I must correct.

#2 And this is directed at the other genius, Bitoni!  in 1981, Joe Klecko got 20.5 sacks and Mark Gastineau got 20 sacks that year.  Yes, Klecko got more sacks than Gastineau.; a fact. That year was the year of THE New York Sack Exchange, and the team totaled 66.5 sacks for the year.  

#3 That same year in 1981, Klecko got 107 tackles, with 72 solo tackles.  He also played through a sprained foot that same year. Klecko was named by Sports Illustrated "The NFL Player of the Year" in 1981.  Not too bad for a guy that Bitoni said would be undraftable in todays NFL. According to  Barry Wilner of the Associated Press, "Klecko was the Heart of the Sack Exchange".  Again, not too bad for a guy that Bitoni said would not be able to be drafted in todays NFL.

Just if you are interested, in 1980, Gastineau had 11.5 sacks, and Klecko had 10.5 sacks. So, in two prime years of both of of these players, Gastineau had a total of 1/2 sack more than Klecko, but Gastineau was not 1/2 of the player that Klecko was.

In 1982, Klecko suffered a ruptured patella tendon in his right knee, and that is when things went downhill for Joe Klecko.

Klecko was drafted in 1977, and from 1977 through 1981, those 5 years, Klecko was the man amongst men.

Unless you want to admit you were wrong, please just let this go.  Klecko was my second favorite Jet of all time behind Joe Namath.  It's bad enough that I have to put up with non-Jets fans, you know what I mean?

Pretty ballsy move giving me the sarcastic genius when you credited Klecko with 18 extra sacks in 1984.  Then you give me some fake ass Deacon Jones stat count from 1980.  Hey genius, I saw them  both play.  I also mentioened that Klecko had some nice years before sacks were an official stat, but you decide to act like you are teaching me something.  You give Klecko credit for an extra 51 sacks that conveniently put him right around Gastineau's official career total.  Problem is that you gave Gastineau credit for another 30 in only 2 years. 

Also cool to see you try to twist injury prone into some kind of positive.

11 hours ago, phill1c said:

7 hours ago, Alka said:

I was there with you.  Winning that game would have only put us in the AFC Championship game, for what it's worth.  The game was won, and our idiot Gastineau blew it.

Why people who never saw them play would argue that Gastineau was somehow better than Klecko seems like these people are bored, and nothing else to do but argue something that they have no knowledge of.  

Where was Klecko during that game?   I mean, you guys were there, s.o you probably remember really well. 

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Where was Klecko during that game?   I mean, you guys were there, s.o you probably remember really well. 

You know what I remember; I remember the Jets having virtually winning the game in 1986 against the Browns, but the moron Gastineau couldn't contain himself and got a personal foul after the play was over on the QB.  That play allowed Cleveland to come back and win the game, thus keeping the Jets from the AFC Championship game.  I remember the Jets being up 20-10 in the 4th quarter with like less than 6 minutes left in the game.  

Other than that, I don't remember anything else about the game.  To go one step further, if Gastineau wasn't such an imbecile, I wouldn't have remembered anything about the game, which I would have preferred.

Just now, Alka said:

You know what I remember; I remember the Jets having virtually winning the game in 1986 against the Browns, but the moron Gastineau couldn't contain himself and got a personal foul after the play was over on the QB.  That play allowed Cleveland to come back and win the game, thus keeping the Jets from the AFC Championship game.  I remember the Jets being up 20-10 in the 4th quarter with like less than 6 minutes left in the game.  

Other than that, I don't remember anything else about the game.  To go one step further, if Gastineau wasn't such an imbecile, I wouldn't have remembered anything about the game, which I would have preferred.

Not only that for which we curse Gastineau forever, but the opponent the next week would have been Denver who we destroyed during the regular season, and the Super Bowl opponent would have been the Giants.

Gastineau cost us a Subway Super Bowl.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

It's a shame but I stopped paying attention to individual awards that are voted on when I came to terms that 90 percent of people in journalism are biased clowns who have a baseline understanding of what they are covering....I'm 100 percent in favor of including more people in these voting processes like former players, coaches, and fans.

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pretty ballsy move giving me the sarcastic genius when you credited Klecko with 18 extra sacks in 1984.  Then you give me some fake ass Deacon Jones stat count from 1980.  Hey genius, I saw them  both play.  I also mentioened that Klecko had some nice years before sacks were an official stat, but you decide to act like you are teaching me something.  You give Klecko credit for an extra 51 sacks that conveniently put him right around Gastineau's official career total.  Problem is that you gave Gastineau credit for another 30 in only 2 years. 

Also cool to see you try to twist injury prone into some kind of positive.

I realize that I should just ignore you, but I can't.  Can I ask you a question, "How old were you in 1981?"

That might give me the answer as to why if you did see both players, your memories are at best foggy.

Some fake ass Deacon Jones stat count from 1980?  You are making me laugh, really!  

I am giving you facts, but because sacks were not an official stat until 1982, you want to ignore anything before 1982.  Did you know that Mark Gastineau got 100 sacks through his first 100 games? You won't read that on any official stat sheet, so I guess it didn't happen?

Again, to further educate you, teammates tolerated Gastineau on the team because he helped the Jets win!  They tolerated him; that was the word that Joe Klecko used on Gastineau.  

It is my opinion that Gastineau was the greatest player in the NFL history of getting sacks.  He humiliated lesser offensive tackles.  But that wasn't what this thread is about, it's about Joe Klecko.

And if you or anyone else is going to bring Gastineau into the subject, then there is no discussion if you saw them both play during a time when they both were in their primes and healthy.

Klecko was the heart and soul of the defense, and Klecko was the enforcer on that side of the ball.  You don't see players who played against Gastineau saying he should be in the Hall of Fame, but you do see players who played against Klecko say that he deserves to be in the Hall, and I'm talking about Hall of Fame offensive lineman who played against Klecko saying those things.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not only that for which we curse Gastineau forever, but the opponent the next week would have been Denver who we destroyed during the regular season, and the Super Bowl opponent would have been the Giants.

Gastineau cost us a Subway Super Bowl.

SAR I

Please, I'm trying to forget.  

21 minutes ago, Alka said:

I realize that I should just ignore you, but I can't.  Can I ask you a question, "How old were you in 1981?"

That might give me the answer as to why if you did see both players, your memories are at best foggy.

Some fake ass Deacon Jones stat count from 1980?  You are making me laugh, really!  

I am giving you facts, but because sacks were not an official stat until 1982, you want to ignore anything before 1982.  Did you know that Mark Gastineau got 100 sacks through his first 100 games? You won't read that on any official stat sheet, so I guess it didn't happen?

Again, to further educate you, teammates tolerated Gastineau on the team because he helped the Jets win!  They tolerated him; that was the word that Joe Klecko used on Gastineau.  

It is my opinion that Gastineau was the greatest player in the NFL history of getting sacks.  He humiliated lesser offensive tackles.  But that wasn't what this thread is about, it's about Joe Klecko.

And if you or anyone else is going to bring Gastineau into the subject, then there is no discussion if you saw them both play during a time when they both were in their primes and healthy.

Klecko was the heart and soul of the defense, and Klecko was the enforcer on that side of the ball.  You don't see players who played against Gastineau saying he should be in the Hall of Fame, but you do see players who played against Klecko say that he deserves to be in the Hall, and I'm talking about Hall of Fame offensive lineman who played against Klecko saying those things.

Gastineau was all pro 3 times, Klecko 2.  The reality is Lyons, Abdul "Soldier of Peace" Salam were all very complimentary players.  FYI Salam played NT, LDT, RDT and DE when he was on the Jets.  

Klecko is the only one that deserves to be in the conversation for the HOF from that line.  Again, from my POV, he isn't being snubbed not getting in but it wouldn't be a travesty if he did get in.  He's a borderline HOF player.  

I also don't get the opinion of greatest at getting sacks.  There have been plenty of great DE who could get sacks at an amazing rate if they ignored the run as consistently as Gastineau did.  He was clearly a freakish athlete with great speed, quickness and power.  He also never developed himself as a great DE.  He was a one trick pony. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Gastineau was all pro 3 times, Klecko 2.  The reality is Lyons, Abdul "Soldier of Peace" Salam were all very complimentary players.  FYI Salam played NT, LDT, RDT and DE when he was on the Jets.  

Klecko is the only one that deserves to be in the conversation for the HOF from that line.  Again, from my POV, he isn't being snubbed not getting in but it wouldn't be a travesty if he did get in.  He's a borderline HOF player.  

I also don't get the opinion of greatest at getting sacks.  There have been plenty of great DE who could get sacks at an amazing rate if they ignored the run as consistently as Gastineau did.  He was clearly a freakish athlete with great speed, quickness and power.  He also never developed himself as a great DE.  He was a one trick pony. 

I agree with everything you said.  As far as Klecko only being a all pro 2 times, after his 5th year in the league, he suffered a torn patella tendon in his knee in the 2nd game of his 6th season that prevented him from being the great player that he was at the time of his injury.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree with everything you said.  As far as Klecko only being a all pro 2 times, after his 5th year in the league, he suffered a torn patella tendon in his knee in the 2nd game of his 6th season that prevented him from being the great player that he was at the time of his injury.

That's why he's borderline.  He was great for a short time at a position where there were a lot of great players for a long time.  There's a case to be made that John Abraham is a borderline HOF player.  He put up numbers for a lot of years.  As someone who goes back a long time I think he was possibly the most dominating defensive player on the line we ever had.  He's in the mix with Philbin, Klecko and John Abraham.  

I suspect a lot of Jets fans are like me on Abraham.  He had drinking issues and disappeared in some big spots but he a very disruptive defender and certainly as good as anyone who ever played for the Jets on the front 7.  

On 1/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, phill1c said:

People talk about the sack exchange but on our Bowl team we had Gerry Philbin, John Elliot and Verlon Biggs who created quite a few sacks themselves way before it was a kept stat.. Come to think of it I saw these guys play also..

• Upvote 1