NFL rumors: Texans apparently won’t trade Deshaun Watson to Eagles for Carson Wentz — and would only do a deal with Jets

Bronx

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think the 2nd pick and one other 1st of their choice could end up being the deal. if Texans get their backs up against the wall this could honestly be their best offer. Let’s see how it plays out!

Thats along the lines of what I'm thinking. I think there is a chance JD ends up making this happen for #2, Darnold and maybe next years Hawk's pick.

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Watson's no-trade clause is powerful, but doesn't entirely determine where he can go.  If the Broncos and 49ers can't come close to the package of picks the Jets are willing to give, the Texans can ultimately end up telling Watson "it's either Houston or New York", and Watson can make a decision off that. 

As long as he is willing to entertain the Jets as an option and wouldn't flat-out refuse to play here, we're in the hunt.  

And that assumes this report is true, which it may not be.  The Jets will be reported to be low on Watson's list until they aren't, and will look a lot better if his options end up limited.

Watson can still say no to Houston and the Jets.  It could be possible that he can force the Texans into taking less compensation to get to a "better" team like MIami.  They can offer the second best comp and pretty similar to ours.  It comes down to his willingness to hold/sit out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, rayzor said:

Watson can still say no to Houston and the Jets.  It could be possible that he can force the Texans into taking less compensation to get to a "better" team.  It comes down to his willingness to hold/sit out.

We'll see.  The Texans are dumb, and I absolutely could see them taking 50 cents on the dollar just to ensure they're shipping him off to an NFC team.  But its in their best interests to pick among 2-3 teams that can give them close to what they're looking for, and hope Watson doesn't block a trade to all of them.

23 hours ago, chad2coles said:

Watson is the 2nd most valuable asset in football after Mahomes.  If JD can get it done for #2, #34, '22 SEA 1st and '23 1st, it's probably a bigger steal than the Adams trade.

No way I trade 3 first rd picks, plus a high 2nd as well as absorb a $100 million plus contract for ONE PLAYER.  In the NFL there are only 2 things useful in assembling a roster...DP's and Cap space.  Personally, I think too many are not fully considering the cap space implications along with the DP's being tossed around.

This trade makes no sense for the NYJ at this time IMO.  we have too many holes to fill.

A team with a better roster to start with would make it potentially worth it for them...but us?

Not too sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

No way I trade 3 first rd picks, plus a high 2nd as well as absorb a $100 million plus contract for ONE PLAYER.  In the NFL there are only 2 things useful in assembling a roster...DP's and Cap space.  Personally, I think too many are not fully considering the cap space implications along with the DP's being tossed around.

This trade makes no sense for the NYJ at this time IMO.  we have too many holes to fill.

A team with a better roster to start with would make it potentially worth it for them...but us?

Not too sure.

The cap space argument has no merit to it whatsoever.  The Jets have more cap space than they could possibly know what to do with anytime soon, and your argument is to not dare use a fraction of it on the league's single most important position, by an excessively wide margin?  Watson's contract is in reality an absolute steal for a franchise QB, and you can throw around the meaningless total value all you like, but it may just be slightly relevant to point out that deal still has 5 years left on it.

If you don't think he's worth as heavy of a trade investment as the one suggested, that's your prerogative, but trying to argue about the supposed downside of the potential financial cost is laughable at best.

But hey, enjoy all the DPs you can get... no judgment there.