Can Morgan become the next Brady?

Bronx

11 hours ago, fltflo said:

Well let’s see Flacco has won a super bowl, James Morgan was a 4th round pick, OMG he couldn’t beat out old joe after 3months in the weirdest preseason and season in NFL history. Why don’t you see the guy in game action before posting stuff like this, then If he craps the pot call him a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Thats the point. The weird preseason and camp become moot points because even when the top 2 QBs went down more than halfway into the season, he couldn’t get himself on the field. And now, we won’t get to see him on the field because we’ll either draft a better QB or trade for a better QB.

I’m not trashing the guy or the player. I’m trashing the pick.

On 2/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, Bronx said:

Stay tuned.

(JD saw something, right?).

LOL. There are A LOT of QBs coming out of college and in the NFL that COULD be the next Brady. They have the adequate athleticism, arm strength and accuracy. But what made Brady great was so much more than that. It was the uncanny pocket awareness. The insane competitiveness. The relentless drive to get better every day. The attention paid to staying healthy and in top football shape. His leadership. The clutch factor that you just can't learn. And then there is the fact that he was developed properly. Put in a position to succeed with a great coach and a great system that fits his skill set and abilities (BB). And let's not forget that to be considered 'the next Brady' you have to win a whole bunch of SB's. I mean, at a certain point that just takes luck. 

So, sure Morgan COULD be the next Brady but he WON'T and there probably won't be another Brady in a really, really long time. Even Mahomes won't be the next Brady and he is not only 5x athletically more gifted but already has a SB win under his belt.  

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Just mediocre.  Not Hack bad but not good

Outside of Becton, Mims and Hall JD’s first draft is meh

Talking out of what part of your body?  No one has a single clue as to how he looked on the practice squad. You out of your imagination know what he looked like as a rooking, without camp on the practice squad.  Like he actually played any significant amount of football outside of classroom work.  But really not only decide what he is but add him into the draft class and downgrade it.

Pure crazyness, wait until they prove what they are or arent.  When will people learn

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Thats the point. The weird preseason and camp become moot points because even when the top 2 QBs went down more than halfway into the season, he couldn’t get himself on the field. And now, we won’t get to see him on the field because we’ll either draft a better QB or trade for a better QB.

I’m not trashing the guy or the player. I’m trashing the pick.

Missing the point.  

Because of COVID-19 teams had to carry an extra "COVID-19 QB".  Carrying 4 QBs instead of the usual 3 meant that the 4th QB would receive 0 snaps during the season and if a rookie no chance that he would ever see real playing time. That was based on practice and readiness to play not because of talent or ability.  A rookie who doesnt practice, doesnt know the playbook doesnt play 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Missing the point.  

Because of COVID-19 teams had to carry an extra "COVID-19 QB".  Carrying 4 QBs instead of the usual 3 meant that the 4th QB would receive 0 snaps during the season and if a rookie no chance that he would ever see real playing time. That was based on practice and readiness to play not because of talent or ability.  A rookie who doesnt practice, doesnt know the playbook doesnt play 

Yes, I missed that point. Thank you. Now it’s even more of a stupid reason to blow a fourth round pick on a player who will never see game action for your team. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yes, I missed that point. Thank you. Now it’s even more of a stupid reason to blow a fourth round pick on a player who will never see game action for your team. 

Other than we didnt quite know what the ramifications of COVID would be by the time of the draft.   We would still need a backup QB moving forward so how is it stupid?  Stupid would be passing up someone you like who can be had with only a 4th round pick.  Stupid, to keep to the thread, would have been to pass on Brady because he wound never see action early.  

Have no clue why Morgan "will never see game action" because COVID F'd with year one

You should have left the post the way it was without the edit and with the apology over not realizing he lost playing time because of COVID, not his abilities.  

EDIT:  Other than being a bitch like @Paradis said about another poster earlier, why would @Fantasy Island neg rep this post like so many others he give one to? 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than we didnt quite know what the ramifications of COVID would be by the time of the draft.   We would still need a backup QB moving forward so how is it stupid?  Stupid would be passing up someone you like who can be had with only a 4th round pick.  Stupid, to keep to the thread, wouldhave been to pass on Brady because he wound never see action early. 

Have no clue why Morgan "will never see game action" because COVID F'd with year one

If the premise is that the Jets needed a cheap backup QB, then it’s stupid to spend a 4th round pick on one when the roster needs serious help everywhere and cheap backup QBs are available every single offseason. For reference, see the two Jets backups who were ahead of Morgan on the depth chart. 

As per the no clue part: The Jets will either trade for or draft a better QB in the next few months. In the low likelihood that they don’t, Darnold will get all the QB1 reps.

Using Tom Brady for any argument regarding the draft is entirely pointless and does nothing to help the argument. If anything, it weakens the argument given that you have to resort to a once-in-5-lifetimes example. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If the premise is that the Jets needed a cheap backup QB, then it’s stupid to spend a 4th round pick on one when the roster needs serious help everywhere and cheap backup QBs are available every single offseason. For reference, see the two Jets backups who were ahead of Morgan on the depth chart. 

As per the no clue part: The Jets will either trade for or draft a better QB in the next few months. In the low likelihood that they don’t, Darnold will get all the QB1 reps.

Using Tom Brady for any argument regarding the draft is entirely pointless and does nothing to help the argument. If anything, it weakens the argument given that you have to resort to a once-in-5-lifetimes example. 

Its not stupid.  Cant agree that trying to build towards the future is stupid.  That paying for over the hill backups is the better route.  To keep referencing that there were two ahead of a rookie is pointless.  The natural order would have been for him to be the 3rd QB on the roster unless he showed he was even better than anticipated if there wasnt a COVID season.  

Im really not getting the idea that the Brady argument doesnt work.  You'll never have a Brady situation if you dont draft a Brady type QB.  The idea that there wont be another Brady so why try is actually pretty goofy.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not stupid.  Cant agree that trying to build towards the future is stupid.  That paying for over the hill backups is the better route.  To keep referencing that there were two ahead of a rookie is pointless.  The natural order would have been for him to be the 3rd QB on the roster unless he showed he was even better than anticipated if there wasnt a COVID season.  

Im really not getting the idea that the Brady argument doesnt work.  You'll never have a Brady situation if you dont draft a Brady type QB.  The idea that there wont be another Brady so why try is actually pretty goofy.

JN - the point is not to not try for another Brady. The point is to make smart decisions to find the next Brady. Of course we all want to find the next Brady, but that doesn’t mean that we should spend every 6th rounder on a QB or that we should take every Michigan QB, etc. That’s why using Brady in an argument is goofy - it’s the rarest of rare instances and there is nothing for anyone to try to emulate.

My entire point was and has consistently remained: For all the good JD has done so far, the usage of a 4th round draft pick on a project/back-up caliber QB (regardless of the QB’s name and regardless of the covid situation) was and will always be stupid. In this specific scenario, it’s amplified by the fact that the rest of the roster is a dumpster fire, and that Darnold was going into his critical 3rd year where it was essentially a known strategy that he’d either pan out (in which case we wouldn’t need the 4th round QB) or he’d flame out and JD would be searching for a new QB (current situation). 

I’ve made my points perfectly clear, so I’ll end my part in this thread here. 

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’ve made my points perfectly clear, so I’ll end my part in this thread here. 

And I've made my point perfectly clear.  I wanted Morgan before the draft with a 4th or 5th round pick.  The rumor was he wouldnt make it to the 5th.  JD agreed with me and made the pick.  You wanted a different position in the 4th.  You dont have a problem with Morgan per se, he wasnt on your radar.  Thats fine, thats what the board is all about, different opinions.  No problem, just keep all the other noise about Brady etc out of the equation, its just noise.  I thought it made sense to try for a young backup for Sam at the time, for whoever is the QB moving forward.  I get it, fans want instant gratification and players that are drafted for depth or for down the road arent in their minds.  

We're all entitled to our opinions and you know mine.  You have yours and thats fine.