MLB trying some new potential changes in the minors this year

section314

1)  limits on some shifts   2) electronic strike zones    3) 15 second pitch clock    4) limited pick off throws    5) larger bases.    Personally, think the pitch clock should be adopted immediately. Can also see big support for the strike zone and the shift ideas. The last two seem pretty stupid.

• Upvote 2

Limiting pickoff throws makes no sense.  You would always have to leave one in your pocket, otherwise guys would take endlessly large leads and steal easy bases.  

None of this stuff actually speeds games up in a tangible way.  No matter what they do, guys are still going to grind out at-bats and try to draw walks.  That more than anything slows the game down, and its not going away any time soon.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Everything else in life has sped up, and yet MLB has allowed their game to slow down to a crawl-walk up music, tons of commericals, stepping out, interminable mound conferences, replays that take forever, ptichers staring in at catchers for signs forever. NOTHING HAPPENS. Personally was once a huge fan, no more. It's slow and boring, the go to TV watching if you want to take a nap. The pitcher/hitter confrontation becomes much less compelling when it takes all night.  And if they simply called a rulebook strike zone, be that a human ump or a computer, that would speed things up. Right now the strike zone msot nights mis the size of a teacup. If you mad it what it is in the rulebook, you would have a lot less walks nor batters grinding for walks. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Limiting pickoff throws makes no sense.  You would always have to leave one in your pocket, otherwise guys would take endlessly large leads and steal easy bases.  

None of this stuff actually speeds games up in a tangible way.  No matter what they do, guys are still going to grind out at-bats and try to draw walks.  That more than anything slows the game down, and its not going away any time soon.  

Guess that is why they are testing it all out in the minors to see the fan reaction.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:37 AM, section314 said:

1)  limits on some shifts   2) electronic strike zones    3) 15 second pitch clock    4) limited pick off throws    5) larger bases.    Personally, think the pitch clock should be adopted immediately. Can also see big support for the strike zone and the shift ideas. The last two seem pretty stupid.

Electronic strike zone although is not my  taste seems almost inevitable in the digital age we live in, the rest are pure garbage (except larger bases, not sure what the benefit for that is). I dislike the shift more than most, wanna end it, learn to hit against it. Pitch clock and limiting pick off throws is just ridiculous 

• 2 weeks later...

Baseball is completely lost none of the changes implemented save more then 5 seconds a game. lol  All they are trying to do is appeal to a younger audience and turning off their actual fanbase.  What they should be doing is banning eggheads from GM positions.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Electronic strike zone would be horrible. One of the true arts of baseball is a catcher that can properly frame and steal strikes for his pitcher. 

On 3/18/2021 at 6:38 AM, Anthony Jet said:

Electronic strike zone although is not my  taste seems almost inevitable in the digital age we live in, the rest are pure garbage (except larger bases, not sure what the benefit for that is). I dislike the shift more than most, wanna end it, learn to hit against it. Pitch clock and limiting pick off throws is just ridiculous 

5 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Ok, Angel Hernandez

Want to know what's funny?  Here's one absurd reason for why experts say the electronic strike zone wouldn't work:  If a pitch hits the dirt and bounces through the strike zone, it would get called a strike.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Want to know what's funny?  Here's one absurd reason for why experts say the electronic strike zone wouldn't work:  If a pitch hits the dirt and bounces through the strike zone, it would get called a strike.

They can’t put in a override for the 1 time per 100 games that might happen ?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, undertow said:

Baseball is completely lost none of the changes implemented save more then 5 seconds a game. lol  All they are trying to do is appeal to a younger audience and turning off their actual fanbase.  What they should be doing is banning eggheads from GM positions.

The longer the games are actually generates more money because it creates more content for ad billing on tv and radio.  It also equals more concessions being sold at games when they do open back up

If they really wanted to shorten games (they don’t) they would get rid of instant replay.  Oh my God that is a waste of time in baseball 

Males 35 and up are still the target demo for advertising.  Broke ass millennials with $100k+ in student loans majoring in smartphones social media don’t spend money

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The longer the games are actually generates more money because it creates more content for ad billing on tv and radio.  It also equals more concessions being sold at games when they do open back up

If they really wanted to shorten games (they don’t) they would get rid of instant replay.  Oh my God that is a waste of time in baseball 

Males 35 and up are still the target demo for advertising.  Broke ass millennials with $100k+ in student loans majoring in smartphones social media don’t spend money

They still have 9 innings, regardless the time of game. They still have the same number of ad spots regardless of how long innings go. So, there is not greater ad revenue based on time of game.

9 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

They still have 9 innings, regardless the time of game. They still have the same number of ad spots regardless of how long innings go.

That’s not how ad billing works. Vendors pay for future ads based previous broadcast ratings and/or possible times the ads are aired

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That’s not how ad billing works. Vendors pay for future ads based previous broadcast ratings and/or possible times the ads are aired

Well, I was in the business, and you are entirely wrong. The length of game has entirely nothing to do with the ad rate. Past ratings, yes. Length of game totally irrelevant. 

You also said originally that longer games “create more content”.  You are all over the place here, and not making any sense. 

14 hours ago, Lith said:

I had forgotten just how much I hated the runner on 2nd extra inning rule.  Then, first game of the season that I watch goes to extras.  Yup, I still hate the extra inning runner on 2nd rule.

It is like beer league softball. I hope this will be the last year for that. Newe CBA next year. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, section314 said:

Quite honestly, Manfred scares the hell out of me. It's almost like he is trying to ruin this game. And that's not even getting into the labor situation. Manfred and Tony Clark make the Dems and Reps look like best pals.

Well, If MLB didn't just commit suicide, its at best filling the bathtub with warm water....

• Haha 1

Here is a new one.  Moivng the pitcher's rubber an extra foot fartther back.  61 feet 6 inches.

Also in the article they mention another Atlantic League change is to the DH rule.  You only get the DH as long as starting pitcher is in the game.  Pull the starter, lose DH and pitcher's hit.  I would have no problem with this one if they go to universal DH.  But don't mess with the pitcher's mound.