Sheldon Rankins 4/13 Press Conference

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

Says he's 100% healthy and can everything he did before injuries.  If Jets get the 2018 Rankins before the injuries.  It's going to be fun watching him and QW  on the inside.  With Lawson on the edge.

Download video

It’s been two years. 100% now may be very different to what 100% was in 2018.

It’s a gamble and we just have to hope he’s healthy with the same abilities. The idea of him at his best next to Q is pretty awesome though. Absolute wrecking balls.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s been two years. 100% now may be very different to what 100% was in 2018.

It’s a gamble and we just have to hope he’s healthy with the same abilities. The idea of him at his best next to Q is pretty awesome though. Absolute wrecking balls.

And...if Jets could somehow manage drafting Jaelan Phillips to join this posse of bad intentions...

I Surrender All. Maybe. Not Really. Okay. Yes! | LifeWords ...

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

And...if Jets could somehow manage drafting Jaelan Phillips to join this posse of bad intentions...

The only defensive guy I wouldn’t hate at 23. 

The thing that would worry me with Phillips is the concerns that exist with his health if he’s even there when we pick. It would mean the NFL teams thinks there’s a serious risk because he’s a top 10 talent.

But yeah the idea of Saleh having that front 4 is mouth watering. Yes please.

• Upvote 2

Nice interview- seems like a good dude

the only defensive players I’m on board with at 23 would be jaelen Phillips, Farley, Kwity, Azeez- al kinda question marks but all with huge upside at premium positions. Getting talent at CB or edge- I want to support Zach but upside at value positions is ok with me.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jaelen Philips and Kwity Paye types coming into the league are the reason we need to upgrade guys like Van Roten and Fant.

I've been experimenting with my mock simulations to try and see if it's possible to draft a player like Jaelen Phillips, and still get a stud OL player in rounds 1-2.   And in addition trying to fit into the mock a quality TE.  

OL guys like Slater-Humphrey-Jenkins.  TEs like Freiermuth and Tremble.  Also we need a playmaker TE.  Herndon in year 4 could be his last here.  He's been disappointing.  And Jets certainly not going to franchise him if he has a decent year and hits the open market.

Edge with Phillips or Paye

The cake I would love to mock-bake along with Wilson...would be Slater-Phillips-Freiermuth.   

Hope JD is a master chef and can cook up something like this.

33 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

I've been experimenting with my mock simulations to try and see if it's possible to draft a player like Jaelen Phillips, and still get a stud OL player in rounds 1-2.   And in addition trying to fit into the mock a quality TE.  

OL guys like Slater-Humphrey-Jenkins.  TEs like Freiermuth and Tremble.  Also we need a playmaker TE.  Herndon in year 4 could be his last here.  He's been disappointing.  And Jets certainly not going to franchise him if he has a decent year and hits the open market.

Edge with Phillips or Paye

The cake I would love to mock-bake along with Wilson...would be Slater-Phillips-Freiermuth.   

Hope JD is a master chef and can cook up something like this.

Slater is a wet dream.  No way he makes it past 15 in my opinion.  Some analysts even think he could be better than Sewell (I don't but that tells you how highly Rashawn Slater is thought of).  I'm not sure there's any way JD could land a Wilson, Slater and Jaelen Philips in this Draft without trading away a lot of capital to move up.

If JD wants to move up from #23 for Slater he'd like have to use in #34 to do it.  That makes the chances of getting a 3rd elite player in this Draft (after Wilson and Slater) borderline impossible unless he's going to trade 2022 picks.... which I don't want him to do.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Slater is a wet dream.  No way he makes it past 15 in my opinion.  Some analysts even think he could be better than Sewell (I don't but that tells you how highly Rashawn Slater is thought of).  I'm not sure there's any way JD could land a Wilson, Slater and Jaelen Philips in this Draft without trading away a lot of capital to move up.

If JD wants to move up from #23 for Slater he'd like have to use in #34 to do it.  That makes the chances of getting a 3rd elite player in this Draft (after Wilson and Slater) borderline impossible unless he's going to trade 2022 picks.... which I don't want him to do.

He could use the picks from the Darnold and Adams trades too. A lot of teams want more picks next year because it will be easier to have full evaluations. With 5 QBs in Top 10, there is a good chance a really elite player falls into trade up range for the Jets that would not be exhorbitantly expensive. I half expect the Jets to trade up

• Upvote 2

I'm not completely opposed to going Edge at #23 but the one thing giving me pause is the unusual abundance of prospects this year.  In no particular order, there are probably 8-10 guys who could go by the mid-2nd round.

Paye, Rousseau, Phillips, Ojulari, Oweh, Basham, maybe Ossai, Jones, Tryon.  I have no idea how the Jets would tier and rank these guys, but some of them will certainly be available at #34 and some maybe deeper in round 2 where we could jump up from #66 to get one.

OL is deep as well though so I think there will be talent available at #34 and #66 as well.  It's just the same question of how they get tiered and ranked by the Jets.  It feels like we should go with any 2 of OL, DE, CB in those #23 and #34 picks, with WR being a dark horse.  I honestly have no idea what will or even should happen beyond that though.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He could use the picks from the Darnold and Adams trades too. A lot of teams want more picks next year because it will be easier to have full evaluations. With 5 QBs in Top 10, there is a good chance a really elite player falls into trade up range for the Jets that would not be exhorbitantly expensive. I half expect the Jets to trade up

Nope.  Nada.  The Jets aren't at a point where we can roll the dice on one guy.  The bust rate is still around 50 percent to be a good GM.  Mike Mac was rolling at around 36 percent.  Idzik was lower.  Lets pick more guys and hope JD is who we think he is.  50 percent of his picks will probably bust.  It would be better if rounds 5-7 are driving the rate, not rounds 1-3 like previous administrations.  

Yes, Slater would be a good pick.  But if he wants a RT to groom, there will be options in later rounds.  OL seems to be a place where the 5-7 picks seem to work out better then QB's, WR's, edge guys, etc.

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Nice interview- seems like a good dude

the only defensive players I’m on board with at 23 would be jaelen Phillips, Farley, Kwity, Azeez- al kinda question marks but all with huge upside at premium positions. Getting talent at CB or edge- I want to support Zach but upside at value positions is ok with me.

Thats a perfect list. I would replace Azeez with Zaven Collins. I don't see the same type of upside with Azeez as with the rest of these guys. But Zaven Collins just has sky high potential and no injury concerns. He's a OLB but really an Edge player. He would serve as a strong side LB in the 4-3. Now, the Jets just got Davis who projects to play that position, however Colinns fits more naturally in that role, so they might just slide Davis to the weak side. Davis is plenty fast enough. That would also fill a position of need. Just like anyone of these guys, if he slips to 23, I seriously consider taking him.  

13 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Isnt Phillips the guy that USC medically disqualified because of multiple concussions so he went to UM?    Seems like he is one good hit from retirement

42 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Nope.  Nada.  The Jets aren't at a point where we can roll the dice on one guy.  The bust rate is still around 50 percent to be a good GM.  Mike Mac was rolling at around 36 percent.  Idzik was lower.  Lets pick more guys and hope JD is who we think he is.  50 percent of his picks will probably bust.  It would be better if rounds 5-7 are driving the rate, not rounds 1-3 like previous administrations.  

Yes, Slater would be a good pick.  But if he wants a RT to groom, there will be options in later rounds.  OL seems to be a place where the 5-7 picks seem to work out better then QB's, WR's, edge guys, etc.

Lets not forget that we have over an extra drafts worth of additional picks and way more value than an entire draft. Even if we hit on 50% we are adding 10 starters next 2 years so if we have a guy we love moving up makes sense. If we just had only our own 7 picks would be a different story

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lets not forget that we have over an extra drafts worth of additional picks and way more value than an entire draft. Even if we hit on 50% we are adding 10 starters next 2 years so if we have a guy we love moving up makes sense. If we just had only our own 7 picks would be a different story

That's fair.  It depends on what we are talking about.  Like, moving up to get Pitts would mean at least two picks in this draft and one of the firsts next year.  That might be too much.

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

That's fair.  It depends on what we are talking about.  Like, moving up to get Pitts would mean at least two picks in this draft and one of the firsts next year.  That might be too much.

Agree, but one of the receivers or tackles could easily fall into the 11-16 range where it would not be too expensive to go up and get someone that you might even have  top 5 on your board. I could see Darrishaw, Waddle or Devonta Smith falling into this range.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Agree, but one of the receivers or tackles could easily fall into the 11-16 range where it would not be too expensive to go up and get someone that you might even have  top 5 on your board. I could see Darrishaw, Waddle or Devonta Smith falling into this range.

If you posit that the top five QBs will go earlier, then you can make a list of those blue chip guys, some of whom will have to fall into the 11-16 range.

Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Chase, Smith, Waddle, Parsons, Surtain and Horn already put you at 14.  AVT and Darrishaw would still be there in that case at 15/16.  That tier probably does dry up as you get closer to 20 when you get into the thick pile of Edge/CB/WR talent that feels like it flows over into the top of round 2.

I do think there are good arguments for trading either up or down from #23 depending on how the first 12-15 picks go.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

If you posit that the top five QBs will go earlier, then you can make a list of those blue chip guys, some of whom will have to fall into the 11-16 range.

Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Chase, Smith, Waddle, Parsons, Surtain and Horn already put you at 14.  AVT and Darrishaw would still be there in that case at 15/16.  That tier probably does dry up as you get closer to 20 when you get into the thick pile of Edge/CB/WR talent that feels like it flows over into the top of round 2.

I do think there are good arguments for trading either up or down from #23 depending on how the first 12-15 picks go.

Agree in fact I think I like staying at 23 the least of our options. I don't like the choices we have at 23 

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Isnt Phillips the guy that USC medically disqualified because of multiple concussions so he went to UM?    Seems like he is one good hit from retirement

Right.  Guys like Phillips and Farley may not pass JD's meds requirements for drafting.  Phillips in Saleh's D would be just awesome...but not likely to happen.  

Just a dream pick on my part.