Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So I haven’t been able to do everyone but London’s percentage goes go up to 30% if you remove screen receptions from his “thrown to” total. Chase climbs a bit a well and ends up at 28%. Mims goes up half a percentage so I’m gonna say he stays at 36%. So London stays closer to the good than the bad but it becomes more worrisome.

London scares the sh*t out of me.  His usage and contested catches are risky in today's NFL, where speed and separation win the day, and corners are getting bigger and faster.  Only way I go back to the tall target is for a TE or a WR with generational talent and measurable to go along with production (like Calvin Johnson).  Otherwise, pass.   Too much history with Stephen Hill.  And too important that we get this right.  London has a low floor and is coming off injury; too risky.  You don't get faster as you age.  Let's wait and see his pro day.  May be revealing.

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’d been trying to track down a 3 cone time for Karlaftis and I found this. I can’t verify it but if it’s real… it’s surprising.

I was thinking he'd be slightly above 7, but that's elite numbers if accurate. Anything sub 7 is a tremendous win for him in my eyes. People are criminally sleeping on him, at least on our board.

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

London scares the sh*t out of me.  His usage and contested catches are risky in today's NFL, where speed and separation win the day, and corners are getting bigger and faster.  Only way I go back to the tall target is for a TE or a WR with generational talent and measurable to go along with production (like Calvin Johnson).  Otherwise, pass.   Too much history with Stephen Hill.  And too important that we get this right.  London has a low floor and is coming off injury; too risky.  You don't get faster as you age.  Let's wait and see his pro day.  May be revealing.

Stephen Hill who’s whole thing is low production and being fast worries you when you’re thinking about highly productive, potentially slow Drake London?

20 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I'm a big agility guy for pass rushers. I think Florida State has the pro day today, so we'll find out of he participates in those drills or not. His 40 was good, vertical was ok. It's not the end all be all, but my biggest question mark is on his agility, so that's why I questioned the athletic profile. He's up there in RAS for sure with the other numbers.

That being said, I like the highs with him to your point and then I look at his game against UNC and I am whelmed overall. Might be nit-picky. That's why I want to clarify it's not hate, I just don't like him with a top 10 pick per se.

20 hours ago, derp said:

He didn't have a good vert which tends to be the indicator of explosiveness for pass rushers and ducked the agility drills.

Is the game against Miami impressive? I haven't really taken a dive because of time issues but in his highlights that right tackle he had a couple sacks against looked terribly overmatched. Same with the Jacksonville State team he dominated. See a lot of bull rush -> hesitation move and not a lot of bending the edge. I got the vibe he manhandled overmatched guys last year and the adjustment to the NFL level would be tough.

All that combined with turning 24 late his rookie year...he's still an interesting guy but strikes me as a little overhyped because he had 10+ sacks last year and runs fast in a straight line.

20 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Johnson is great value… at 20. He avoided DE drills at the combine and avoided all agility testing. Combine that with a bad vert and it’s worrisome. He also feasted on Miami’s overmatched tackle that wasn’t Zion Nelson, he got stonewalled consistently by Nelson. 

It’s reported that the Jets are meeting with Karlaftis today. I haven’t heard anything about JJ yet. 

Good stuff my dudes, didnt realize he dodged the agility training.

• Upvote 1

So in my journey to find Karlaftis pro day numbers I found a fullback/ backfield weapon. Remember the whole Ben Mason thing last year? This is like that but actually good. He put up a ridiculous Pro Day, 4.57 40, a 4.25 short shuttle, 35.5 inch vert.

late round flier for a Kyle Juszczyk type seems like a good idea.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Stephen Hill who’s whole thing is low production and being fast worries you when you’re thinking about highly productive, potentially slow Drake London?

Maybe N'Keal Harry would be a better comp.  But at his height, he is already on the lean side, and is slower than other prospects.  He puts on weight, he may be even slower.  Mike Evans put down a 4.5 at 225 pounds.  He can win over the top.

At the same time, for London, the college production is there.  I am not a London hater.  I actually think his route-running skills are under-appreciated, particularly at the top of his routes.  He is more athletic than his 40 time will suggest.  But I think he is a riskier pick, whose ultimate ceiling may be as a possession receiver, not a generational talent.  But I can understand why some folks love him.  His production speaks for itself. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So in my journey to find Karlaftis pro day numbers I found a fullback/ backfield weapon. Remember the whole Ben Mason thing last year? This is like that but actually good. He put up a ridiculous Pro Day, 4.57 40, a 4.25 short shuttle, 35.5 inch vert.

late round flier for a Kyle Juszczyk type seems like a good idea.

Nice find, Rex. 

• Haha 1

Anyone dug into Tyquan Thornton? Looks like a potential home run hitter/field stretcher at WR, which I think they want to add, but may only require day three draft capital. Not suggesting he’s the only pass catcher added of course, but I’d rather take that profile on the third day than in the first round. Found him at least moderately interesting at a glance.

14 hours ago, derp said:

Anyone dug into Tyquan Thornton? Looks like a potential home run hitter/field stretcher at WR, which I think they want to add, but may only require day three draft capital. Not suggesting he’s the only pass catcher added of course, but I’d rather take that profile on the third day than in the first round. Found him at least moderately interesting at a glance.

Considering the amount of Baylor I've watched, I've seen enough of Thornton to not overvalue him. However, if he's available on day 3 he has to be in play in round 4. His testing is absurd and his talent shines in moments. He has a great route on a fade against Oklahoma. I'll try and track it down. He completely shakes the CB for TD. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, derp said:

If was this every play he'd be a first rounder. I doubt he falls too far. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Considering the amount of Baylor I've watched, I've seen enough of Thornton to not overvalue him. However, if he's available on day 3 he has to be in play in round 4. His testing is absurd and his talent shines in moments. He has a great route on a fade against Oklahoma. I'll try and track it down. He completely shakes the CB for TD. 

Makes sense. The speed could certainly push him up to the second day, but I tend to see him ranked more as a day three guy - as you said though if he gets there he almost has to be in play.

I was surprised by how well he plucked away from his body. Not that he’s elite at it, but he’s at least good. I expected a sub 4.3 guy who I see day three to fight the ball a little more than he seems to.

Definitely not a finished product and I get why he’s not a first rounder but there’s some stuff to work with. And like I said I’ll take discounts on speed instead of paying up for it in the first.

So staying on the Baylor theme. Abram Smith, another Jets Senior Bowl guy is interesting. He ran a 4.55 and is a converted LBer. He was effective in the senior bowl and the Baylor scheme is very similar to the Jets outside zone. In fact it’s the BYU offense that Zach played in the year before. Wouldn’t mind a flier being taken on this kid. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So staying on the Baylor theme. Abram Smith, another Jets Senior Bowl guy is interesting. He ran a 4.55 and is a converted LBer. He was effective in the senior bowl and the Baylor scheme is very similar to the Jets outside zone. In fact it’s the BYU offense that Zach played in the year before. Wouldn’t mind a flier being taken on this kid. 

Ironically, I think Smith shredded the BYU defense this past season.  He’s a one cut and go back, doesn’t dance around.   Baylor never throws the ball to the RBs so I’m not sure what he looks like as a receiver.  

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ironically, I think Smith shredded the BYU defense this past season.  He’s a one cut and go back, doesn’t dance around.   Baylor never throws the ball to the RBs so I’m not sure what he looks like as a receiver.  

He had a few drops in some of the games I watched but he’s a strong blocker which was cool to watch. I like his style as a compliment to Michael Carter. Smith had the style for this offense down in that he extends behind the outside tackle and then sticks a foot in the ground accelerates up field. The Jets got a good look at him already so you gotta assume they know if his trades carry over well to the NFL.

Man, catching up on all these NFL Stock Exchange podcasts with Connor Rogers and he seems to be convinced that Ekwonu is really in play for the Jets at #4.  Assuming that Hutch and Thibs are gone he seems to be zeroing in on either Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker or Ekwonu at #4.

He's been talking it and tweeting it for a month now.