Cimini article- the 4 QB's the Jets are looking at

faba

Jets meet with Skins QB Ramsey

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets kicked off their search yesterday for a veteran quarterback, meeting with the Redskins' Patrick Ramsey at Weeb Ewbank Hall.

Ramsey is one of at least four quarterbacks being considered by the Jets, who want a starting-caliber player to compete in training camp with injury-plagued Chad Pennington. The others are believed to be Jon Kitna (Bengals), Josh McCown (Cards) and Sage Rosenfels (Dolphins), each of whom is poised to become an unrestricted free agent.

The 27-year-old Ramsey won't be a free agent - he has one year remaining on his contract, with a salary of $1.68 million - but he is being shopped by the Redskins. They gave him permission to speak to teams, with the hope of facilitating a trade. The Skins had been seeking a second-round pick, but they probably will settle for a mid- or late-round choice in next month's draft.

The Lions and Dolphins are also showing interest, and they, too, may arrange visits for Ramsey. If the Redskins can't find a trading partner, they likely will release Ramsey.

Ramsey may have the most upside of the quarterbacks on the Jets' list, but none of the others would cost them a draft choice.

Ramsey, a first-round pick in 2002, has a 10-14 record as a starter. He went into last season as Joe Gibbs' starter, but he was benched in the second quarter of the first game. Ramsey became the odd man out, with Mark Brunell winning the starting job and former No. 1 pick Jason Campbell being groomed to take over.

In four seasons, Ramsey has a 75.0 passer rating, with 34 touchdown passes and 29 interceptions. He has completed only 56% of his passes. The scouting report on him: Strong arm, tough, but takes too many sacks and tends to lock on to one receiver.

After releasing the injured Jay Fiedler, the Jets have only two quarterbacks on the roster: Pennington and Brooks Bollinger. After weeks in limbo, Pennington secured his spot Sunday, agreeing to a $6 million pay cut.

I'd be interested to see what Schott could do with either Ramsey or Rosenfelds. Brees got a lot better once he was around (well, LT and Gates don't hurt either of course), maybe he can do some magic on one of these two guys. Kitna will not be in NY and McCown is a bozo - pass on him.

Jets meet with Skins QB Ramsey

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets kicked off their search yesterday for a veteran quarterback, meeting with the Redskins' Patrick Ramsey at Weeb Ewbank Hall.

Ramsey is one of at least four quarterbacks being considered by the Jets, who want a starting-caliber player to compete in training camp with injury-plagued Chad Pennington. The others are believed to be Jon Kitna (Bengals), Josh McCown (Cards) and Sage Rosenfels (Dolphins), each of whom is poised to become an unrestricted free agent.

The 27-year-old Ramsey won't be a free agent - he has one year remaining on his contract, with a salary of $1.68 million - but he is being shopped by the Redskins. They gave him permission to speak to teams, with the hope of facilitating a trade. The Skins had been seeking a second-round pick, but they probably will settle for a mid- or late-round choice in next month's draft.

The Lions and Dolphins are also showing interest, and they, too, may arrange visits for Ramsey. If the Redskins can't find a trading partner, they likely will release Ramsey.

Ramsey may have the most upside of the quarterbacks on the Jets' list, but none of the others would cost them a draft choice.

Ramsey, a first-round pick in 2002, has a 10-14 record as a starter. He went into last season as Joe Gibbs' starter, but he was benched in the second quarter of the first game. Ramsey became the odd man out, with Mark Brunell winning the starting job and former No. 1 pick Jason Campbell being groomed to take over.

In four seasons, Ramsey has a 75.0 passer rating, with 34 touchdown passes and 29 interceptions. He has completed only 56% of his passes. The scouting report on him: Strong arm, tough, but takes too many sacks and tends to lock on to one receiver.

After releasing the injured Jay Fiedler, the Jets have only two quarterbacks on the roster: Pennington and Brooks Bollinger. After weeks in limbo, Pennington secured his spot Sunday, agreeing to a $6 million pay cut.

All 4 of these guys suck a$$ !!! I'll pass ,i'd rather go down with a rookie than these scrubs.penny at 50% is better than all these guys put together. young is the answer baby hahaha:yahoo:

I think this is just an obvious stopgap. Who knows if Pennington will be able to go when the season starts. The Jets will not be competitive for at least a year so why not get one of these guys who can at least win 3 games. The QB for their future will be drafted or come via trade.

The scouting report on him: Strong arm, tough, but takes too many sacks and tends to lock on to one receiver.

I'll tell you another guy who had lock-on-one-recieveritus, a strong arm, and took too many sacks. Steve McNair. Until Dinger spread out the Titans offense in 2001, McNair would lock in on choice 1 and if he wasn't open, he'd run it like a second tailback. Granted, Ramsey doesn't have all of Steve M's arm and doesn't have the scrambling skills, but I think a guy can be broke from those bad habits with good coaching. I'd love to see him in Green.

All of those potential qbs are definitely better than Brooksie... So once one of them is signed, I expect Brooksie cut.

And then sign someone else for camp or when Pennington can't play? Brooks will be in camp and may make the team depending on the health of Chad. Remember, the Jets haven't drafted a QB, yet. Plus, most teams bring 4 or 5 QB's to camp to lessen the wear and tear on their first line guys in practise. With RoboQb on our roster, Brooks fills an important role. He ain't getting cut.

I really don't like giving up a day one pick for Patrick Ramsey. I kind of like Patrick Ramsey, I think that he still has a chance to become a better QB and a change of scenery could help.

These young QB's are worth a flyer as backups/challengers to the starting QB spot.

Even if The Jets pick up a Ramsey, Kitna, McCown or Rosenfels. These guys are not guaranteed anything.

The interesting part of this is if a Patrick Ramsey gets traded for and is given an extension. That's a strong commitment to a guy who could potentially end up as just a backup. These QB's could be just short term stop gap guys.

I think if The Jets add a veteran QB. The Jets may still draft a QB in april but that draft pick would probably sit for a year. It would also mean that Brooks Bollinger's jet career could be over.

Imagine if you will, The Jets quarterback depth being Chad Pennington, Patrick Ramsey, Jay Cutler, Brooks Bollinger and Kliff Kingsbury. That's going to be alot of money commited to this position. It's better to have options at QB than no options as evidenced by The Jets 2005 QB situation but The quarterback spot could get very crowded with The Jets.

i would give up a 3rd to lock in on ramsey as long as he comes cheap after that. he has the most upside...younger, good arm. he might just need a fresh start and the risk is so so

Terry Bradway is that you? 3rd rounder for a guy that will probably be released? If anything we could get him for a 6th rounder to ensure that he is acquired, if by some chance the Skins find another trading partner (very unlikely) but a 3rd rounder is ridiculous.

The way I see this is that Schott is giving a lot of input into who

the Jets should look at as a vet QB. You just don't bring in guys

for interviews if your not interested. First class airline tickets, hotel, meals..

Now I don't blame guys on here who feel Ramsey is a bust. His record

speaks for itself. But if you bought into the new regime of

MANdelBAUM you have to assume that they feel there is something

about Ramsey that might just help the team.

The draft is still over a month away so they have time to evaluate

every option in deciding how to go with the QB position.

Strike me dead because I agree with TX.

Wow, BZ agrees with me.:eek:

Do we agree on the following:

1). Hermy was a lousy HC.

2) PennyBoy was the biggest mistake in the entire NFL during the last 5 years.

3). Jets gave up way too much for a fat, under-achieving DLineman.

Ramsey locks in, and has trouble checking down, then, his release is very slow. He pats the ball, and as a result, gets far too many avoidable sacks. He is worth a 5 or 6 at best. Can Shotty fix him? I dunno.

McCown is just a dumb loaf of bread. He reminds me of that "Which way did he go George, which way did he go?" cartoon character. Even Warner (they are both bible beaters) couldn't stand the guy.... he'd walk away from him on the sideline when McCown was trying to talk to him.

Sage I haven't seen enough of.

Kitna is the best of the bunch, but Palmer may never play again... best case scenario, he comes back around game 8 next year. Cleveland has plenty of cap and money to keep him. Kitna also likes it there.

Ramsey locks in, and has trouble checking down, then, his release is very slow. He pats the ball, and as a result, gets far too many avoidable sacks. He is worth a 5 or 6 at best. Can Shotty fix him? I dunno.

McCown is just a dumb loaf of bread. He reminds me of that "Which way did he go George, which way did he go?" cartoon character. Even Warner (they are both bible beaters) couldn't stand the guy.... he'd walk away from him on the sideline when McCown was trying to talk to him.

Sage I haven't seen enough of.

Kitna is the best of the bunch, but Palmer may never play again... best case scenario, he comes back around game 8 next year. Cleveland has plenty of cap and money to keep him. Kitna also likes it there.

the assessment of Ramsey reminds me of a former jets qb that wore #7. Also sounds like he has taken a similar number of beatings.

Wow, BZ agrees with me.:eek:

Do we agree on the following:

1). Hermy was a lousy HC.

2) PennyBoy was the biggest mistake in the entire NFL during the last 5 years.

3). Jets gave up way too much for a fat, under-achieving DLineman.

Sorry, you get one agreement every year, so that is it for 2006.

Herm was a good, not great or bad, coach.

Chad is not a mistake, signing him to 64 million was, but there are way bigger mistakes out there for bigger money (Ricky).

D-rob is not fat, just pleasantly plump.

BZ

Archived