FANTastic

hmhertz

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't mind fant either but he is going to be 30 and i think he'd only be good for 2 or 3 season's beyond next.  he'll buy some time at tackle.  at the same time they still need to solidify the guard position and becton can be iffy if the news reports are to be believed.  maybe first round is too high for oline but i think it would be wise to pick up oline before round 4.

Did not realize he is almost 30.  But still, OLs can play at a high level to their mid-30s.   And since Fant has only been a starter the last two years, he should be good for 3 to 4 more seasons.  We have to find a way to keep our good players.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Did not realize he is almost 30.  But still, OLs can play at a high level to their mid-30s.   And since Fant has only been a starter the last two years, he should be good for 3 to 4 more seasons.  We have to find a way to keep our good players.

Agreed.   Even if you add two additional years to Fant, thus having him for the next 3 seasons, he’ll still be just 33 at the end of that deal.   I think we should also see what interest Moses has in returning.  Sign LDT as well.   Then with Becton coming back it takes away any pressure JD may feel to be forced to draft O-line early.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   Even if you add two additional years to Fant, thus having him for the next 3 seasons, he’ll still be just 33 at the end of that deal.   I think we should also see what interest Moses has in returning.  Sign LDT as well.   Then with Becton coming back it takes away any pressure JD may feel to be forced to draft O-line early.  

Agreed.  If we can extend Fant and re-sign Moses and LDT, then forget about my Evan Neal post's in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would take the ND C with our 2nd 2nd or our 3rd. I'll bet he will test extremely well, and has been coached by the best O line staff in college ball.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I get all the circumstances surrounding that draft, but the reality is that JD may only have one legit player from that draft, Bryce Hall.   For a roster that was so depleted, it’s just a horrific look that almost that entire draft class is useless just a year later.  It’s not like there were so many established players that were preventing that class from playing.  The pressure is on the scouts and JD now until late April. 

thats fair, i think this draft is kind of that measuring stick draft.  If he performs well then the 2020 becomes an outlier of sorts in a short career and those circumstances that surrounded the draft prove to be more of a reason for it than not.  

49 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fant is a name you people burned JD to the stake for signing. Fant is one of the guys you all said he whiffed on in FA,

just a friendly reminder we don’t know everything.

dont forget McGovern. they killed him for that signing too. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Lith said:

I guess my thought process around a guy like Neal is that you can win with average QB play and a great OL.  Zach may be good someday (I am skeptical, but its still possible), but we are not likely to get better than average QB play next year.  LDT is a free agent, Moses is a free agent, Becton is a question mark.  If we can add an above average G in FA, then the equation changes.

Right now, given the way the draft board is shaping up and given our current roster, I think Neal is a possbility.  Not saying we have to take him, and there may be better options -- I really hope one of our first two picks is an edge.  But for the other, do you go WR, safety, CB or LB.  Or do you solve for those on day 2 and build the OL.  A lot depends on what we have done in FA, but I think Neal is in the discussion as of now.

he's going to be in the discussion because OL is always going to be important to this team but also because at the draft slot he may be BPA at a position warranting an upgrade. 

i just am starting to see a draft where we need to fill holes as much as possible with premiere talent and as of right now OL is maybe climbing down that list. 

we are going to look back at this gift we had, 5 first rd picks in the top 15 in 3 years and we wasted 3 on the OL. only losers like the Detroit Lions do that.

and the OL is playing really good. good enough for Flacco, White and Johnson to throw for over 300 yds,,, its good enough for Wilson.

no more 1st rd draft picks on the OL. we got too many holes to be wasting these picks. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree.  The most disappointing part of this is that we are even having these discussions after just 1.5 seasons.  I’ll add the Mims draft pick to this as well.   We shouldn’t really have to be looking at using first round draft capital for another OT and WR already.   It’s frustrating having to draft replacements for those guys already.   JD can’t whiff on the 2022 draft like he did in 2020, he needs to be better.  

I agree with this. It’s straightforward to defend most of Douglas’ decisions at the time he makes them because they’re prudent for a rebuilding team and the logic - while it doesn’t jive with what fans want to see - is pretty clear.

But the results aren’t great. The comparison I’ve made is that he’s a better John Idzik, we just don’t know how much better. If he gets axed the team will be in fine shape for the next guy, unlike the disaster Maccagnan left, but although build through the draft is arguably the most effective way to be sustainably good the prerequisite there is drafting well.

This free agent class is big. The defense is absolutely terrible and but I honestly think similar to the OL a couple years ago it’s a quick patchwork job from being around league average and that’s probably what he’s going to get after - along with tight end and WR depth. Improve safety (both starters lost) and linebacker (it’s possible the entire unit is below league average but they’re usually in nickel and only playing two so it should be a quick overhaul), get back Lawson, draft an edge high, sprinkle in some other defenders in the draft and it probably looks a ton different. The Mosley contract is an albatross that probably prevents overhauling the entire LB unit but that’s a thanks Maccagnan situation.

As for the tackle situation, I think it’s important to figure out if Fant’s improvement is development or if it’s tied to him playing on the left side, if it’s left side tied how amenable Becton might be to playing on the right side, and of course get a feel for Fant’s contract demands. He can certainly play into his 30’s - though it’d be Douglas’ first multi year contract taking a guy into his 30’s. Right now honestly it seems like Fant on the left side and Becton on the right is the cleanest on field but is maybe messy off the field. If it’d be messy off the field would be good to stay ahead of that. It would be genuinely nice to not have to worry about tackle though. And to get some continuity on the offensive line.

Yes Fant is going to be 30 years old, but what is interesting is that he did not play football in college, outside of a few snaps at TE his senior year. He was a collegiate basketball player. He was an UDFA by Seattle as a project for his overall athleticism. That may add a few years to his longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app