Jon Ledyard Edge Rankings

maury77

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

With the depth at Edge in this draft, I wouldn’t be upset at all if they took Gardner at 4, WR at 10 and a guy like Mafe or Ebiketie at top of RD 2.  

I like Mafe and Ebiketie as round 2 prospects too, honestly even if they take an edge in the first. Wonder if that’s an indication they go in the first haha.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I like Mafe and Ebiketie as round 2 prospects too, honestly even if they take an edge in the first. Wonder if that’s an indication they go in the first haha.

Ebeketie seemed to struggle in the Jets scheme during the Senior Bowl while Mafe thrived. Mafe is stronger and it seems like the coaching staff really values the ability to just win battles by moving the guy in front of you. 

• Upvote 3

That's a great list!  I think he nailed it.

The Jets should be in the market for Hutch, Thibs or Jermaine Johnson in Round 1.  Would love to see a Mafe or Ebikitie in Round 2, although if the Jets pass on Edge rusher at 4 and 10, they should immediately start looking to trade into the back end of Round 1 to grab one of those guys.

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's a great list!  I think he nailed it.

The Jets should be in the market for Hutch, Thibs or Jermaine Johnson in Round 1.  Would love to see a Mafe or Ebikitie in Round 2, although if the Jets pass on Edge rusher at 4 and 10, they should immediately start looking to trade into the back end of Round 1 to grab one of those guys.

I actually prefer skipping EDGE at 4 and 10 and then trading up as I think they are pretty much all 2nd rounder types and 4 and 10 are huge reaches

If Ojabo is there at #38 would you take him?

I think I'd be okay using the fourth pick the Jets have in this Draft (and the second in Round 2) on a talent like Ojabo.  The concern obviously is the injury and recovery.  It just happened a month ago.  He's likely not playing at all in 2022, maybe he gets on the field very late in the season.  The bigger concern for the Jets specifically is that they already have a guy in Carl Lawson coming off a torn achilles.  Can you really bank your edge rush on two guys coming back to at least 95% of what they were from torn achilles injuries?  I don't think we can.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You think all of them including Hutchinson would be a reach at #4 and/or #10 ?

I do. Hutchinson seems the best but even our own coach said at the combine that he does not really see an elite guy at that position but a deep group of players close together. All of them have numerous question marks and some have tons like Walker and KT. "Very good" prospects should not be Top 10 guys. But they are the flavor of the year with other positions really weak this year so they will go high. I desperately want us to trade out of 4.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I do. Hutchinson seems the best but even our own coach said at the combine that he does not really see an elite guy at that position but a deep group of players close together. All of them have numerous question marks and some have tons like Walker and KT. "Very good" prospects should not be Top 10 guys. But they are the flavor of the year with other positions really weak this year so they will go high. I desperately want us to trade out of 4.

I'd love to trade out of #4 as well, just don't think there will be any takers.  If we're stuck then we should simply go with the BPA at a premium position that is also relatively high on the need scale.  That's just the way I'd triangulate the decision.  QB, LT, Edge, CB, and increasingly WR (although I wouldn't put it any higher than those first four) are considered premium positions.  We're in the market for all of them except QB right now IMO.  The best talent at those spots are probably Hutchinson, Sauce Gardner, Ikem Ekwonu in the #4 range.  The other Edge guys and some WRs might start to be appetizing at #10 again but that's about it in this weak overall class.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd love to trade out of #4 as well, just don't think there will be any takers.  If we're stuck then we should simply go with the BPA at a premium position that is also relatively high on the need scale.  That's just the way I'd triangulate the decision.  QB, LT, Edge, CB, and increasingly WR (although I wouldn't put it any higher than those first four) are considered premium positions.  We're in the market for all of them except QB right now IMO.  The best talent at those spots are probably Hutchinson, Sauce Gardner, Ikem Ekwonu in the #4 range.  The other Edge guys and some WRs might start to be appetizing at #10 again but that's about it in this weak overall class.

With picks 4 and 10, you could just take WR at 4 to lock up the top Jets prospect and then take EDGE, corner or OT at 10. 

Giants with 5 and 7 likely take OT and EDGE/Gardner

Carolina at 6 likely QB

Falcons take the #2 WR

Seahawks could go OT/WR or even QB

So depending on what happens 1,2,3 there will still be most likely Sauce, OT, EDGE or Hamilton at 10. 

If we take EDGE we probably are already at WR #3 at 10