Terrific article on Charley Winner

18 minutes ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

Charley wasn’t a good head coach (vaguely remember him costing us a game vs OJ Simpson & Bills in 72 or 73)

guy is still alive at 97 and lived an incredible life. Check it out 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article80355532.html

Nice article. Thank you. These men are slowly being forgotten 

• Upvote 2

nice story.  okay he wasn't such a great head coach for the jets but at the same time his teams were in transition from the sixties teams.  namath was injured and they just didn't find players to replace all of the vets that left.  maybe a little hard luck in that sense.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:50 AM, Smashmouth said:

I never really hated anyone in sports except for Don Shula I could not stand the man who I like to call the original cheater. Since Charlie Loser went and worked for him after sucking for us I hate him equally as much .

I don’t know. The guy is 97. Shot down over Germany in WWII. Married to Weeb’s daughter for 70 years. Seems like a good man, might be time to get over it. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2022 at 12:50 AM, Smashmouth said:

I never really hated anyone in sports except for Don Shula I could not stand the man who I like to call the original cheater. Since Charlie Loser went and worked for him after sucking for us I hate him equally as much .

were you triggered by the article pic of he and shula "inspecting the turf"?
(i admit i was, but slightly)

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

I don’t know. The guy is 97. Shot down over Germany in WWII. Married to Weeb’s daughter for 70 years. Seems like a good man, might be time to get over it. 

I think it should be pretty obvious I don't dislike the man for his service to our country or his personal life, its sports related and you should be able to figure that out. That being said, I have zero respect for a HC and his new cohort to do what they did in the mud bowl for everyone to see (and everyone knew at the time exactly why they did it to nullify the Jets speed on offense and our pass rush) and suffer no consequences from the league because that cheat just happened to be on the leagues rules committee . Certain people in this world are just able to get away with cheating and others are not and I can name numerous examples in other ways as well but my post will most certainly be taken down. Bottom line is I despise cheaters and Don Shula was the King of cheaters . The effect that game had on our franchise was way more than just the game itself I can go into that as well but this post is long enough already

On 5/10/2022 at 10:01 PM, LongTimeJetFan said:

Charley wasn’t a good head coach (vaguely remember him costing us a game vs OJ Simpson & Bills in 72 or 73)

guy is still alive at 97 and lived an incredible life. Check it out 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article80355532.html

Charley Winner was the only Jets coach in history to have been fired midseason.  He was 2-7 and was fired.  You are correct; not a good head coach.  

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Charley Winner was the only Jets coach in history to have been fired midseason.  He was 2-7 and was fired.  You are correct; not a good head coach.  

He was actually ahead of his time 

Jets were up 7 with under 2 minutes left. Instead of settling for a Pat Leahy 35ish fg attempt he went for it on 4th and 1 and got stopped. Buffalo ending up winning where the game would have been over if they made the fg.

Winner also had to follow Weeb. Not EZ

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think it should be pretty obvious I don't dislike the man for his service to our country or his personal life, its sports related and you should be able to figure that out. That being said, I have zero respect for a HC and his new cohort to do what they did in the mud bowl for everyone to see (and everyone knew at the time exactly why they did it to nullify the Jets speed on offense and our pass rush) and suffer no consequences from the league because that cheat just happened to be on the leagues rules committee . Certain people in this world are just able to get away with cheating and others are not and I can name numerous examples in other ways as well but my post will most certainly be taken down. Bottom line is I despise cheaters and Don Shula was the King of cheaters . The effect that game had on our franchise was way more than just the game itself I can go into that as well but this post is long enough already

Wow, I didn’t mean to strike a nerve. How do you feel about Belichick? If Shula is the King of cheaters then Belly is the master of the universe. 

34 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Wow, I didn’t mean to strike a nerve. How do you feel about Belichick? If Shula is the King of cheaters then Belly is the master of the universe. 

you didn't strike a nerve I didn't mean to come off as angry I just despise Don Shula and maybe went off a little more than I should have on poor Charlie :)

I'm not a fan of Belichick but what Shula did was stick it right in the face of the Jets in front of the entire NFL world, everyone knew exactly what he did and they even talked about it on the broadcast yet nothing was done. Such an important game like the AFCCG should have been cancelled and Shula should have been fined or suspended .  The thing everyone wanted to see was the Sack Exchange vs the Hogs and Riggins and we were robbed of that as well. Keep in mind the blow up of Walt Michaels after the game resulting in his firing and then having to deal with Joe Walton. Just a terrible day all the way around