The Year of Change! How Defensive Backfield Can Make Jets D Relevant Again.

RCB- DJ Reed, LCB Sauce Gardner, Slot- Michael Carter II, Nickel- Bryce Hall

SS- Jordan Whitehead, Free S- Lamarcus Joyner/ Pinnock

Everyone knows the story on Sauce and his potential. Here is a great article on DJ Reed and what he will bring to shutdown the right side of the field. Top 4 CB in the league last year. Won’t allow me to post article. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/03/18/ny-jets-cb-dj-reed-stats-all-pro/amp/

We have added talent on Edge: Martin, JJ, Clemons and have Lawson, Huff, JFM and Zuniga coming back. 

Between the increase in pass rush efficiencies and pass defense metrics, I expect to see Jets D getting off the field much quicker than the last several years. My only concern is shoring up the run defense. Can the rotation of Rankins, QW, Shepherd, Thomas, Marshall and Smart plug those interior gaps and force the rush outside.

The 1st half schedule will provide a good gauge of where we stand…. Go Jets.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Tight coverage on receivers, coupled with a better pass rush, will force opposing QB's into bad situations:  holding the ball too long, thus making bad throws, scrambling for their lives, or eating dirt.  This is how it should play out.  This is how I expect it to play out.  And I'll leave it at that.  I'm not one who regularly visits the dark side.  Go Jets!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Tight coverage on receivers, coupled with a better pass rush, will force opposing QB's into bad situations:  holding the ball too long, thus making bad throws, scrambling for their lives, or eating dirt.  This is how it should play out.  This is how I expect it to play out.  And I'll leave it at that.  I'm not one who regularly visits the dark side.  Go Jets!

Welcome to the board. Exciting time to be a NYJ fan

• Upvote 1

i don't claim to know a thing about defenses but it seems to me that saleh's defense doesn't rely as much on a shut down type corner as other schemes do.  it seems like he wants the fast line backers, nickel backs and safeties to handles the stuff up front and then use the dline to pressure the qb into making a quick or bad throw.  but i do think picking a top corner in the first round was a good move.  sauce should be able to alleviate some of the pressure on the secondary and buy some additional time for the dline to make a play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i don't claim to know a thing about defenses but it seems to me that saleh's defense doesn't rely as much on a shut down type corner as other schemes do.  it seems like he wants the fast line backers, nickel backs and safeties to handles the stuff up front and then use the dline to pressure the qb into making a quick or bad throw.  but i do think picking a top corner in the first round was a good move.  sauce should be able to alleviate some of the pressure on the secondary and buy some additional time for the dline to make a play.

Regardless of scheme, the CBs are the biggest area of favoritism for the opposing O by the refs since they go flag happy with holding especially and many PI cases for the NFLs opposing QBs. So, to my point, with CBs that show very true solid coverage, it makes it too much of a stink for refs to keep throwing calls for fouls that are not there.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Pleeeeease let that statement actually be true for the first time since 2010 (and the first 16 weeks of 2015).

P l e e e e e a s e

Pleeeeeease Pleeeeeease Pleeeeeease

This will replace J E T S Jets Jets Jets chant at the Meadowlands?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

The one thing Saleh said about that is needing solid man-man on 3rd and short so as to get off the field. Jets we’re horrible giving 5 yard cushion  on on 3rd & 2. Sauce will be inside their jockstrap 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

The one thing Saleh said about that is needing solid man-man on 3rd and short so as to get off the field. Jets we’re horrible giving 5 yard cushion  on on 3rd & 2. Sauce will be inside their jockstrap 

Exactly.  And let's not forget about Jordan Whitehead now underneath at SS when they're playing cover 3.  I was always on the edge of my seat in sheer panic in defensive 3rd down situations.  I fully expect that feeling to continually diminish as the season progresses.

• Upvote 1

Coverage downfield was usually decent last year and/or at least it didn’t feel like we were getting killed over the top.

It turns out we couldn’t stop the quick passing game, or screens.  Hoping the secondary (and LBs) rally better, take better angles and miss fewer tackles.

I’m guessing a lot of teams will focus on quick game vs the Jets since our d-line aggressively gets up the field.  Quick game neutralizes the pass rush and fits the skill sets of QBs like Tia and Mac.  To make progress in the division, defending the quick game will be key.

Ironically, our defense may not see a consistent top notch quick game in practice since that’s an area of opportunity for the Jets offense.

On a positive note, complimentary pass rush and secondary ball skills/ competence should be improved in the downfield pass game, perhaps allowing for better success defending the shorter stuff… put simply we shouldn’t have to protect our secondary as much this year.