Brooks no hustling QW 25th best player taken in '19 draft

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Whenever I see "good kid" I get visions of a soft-bodied beta boogie boarding while the girls are all watching the surfers.

If drafting nice kids with limited football abilities was a contest, the Jets would have taken that title about 15 years in a row.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I know the box score doesn't look great, but if you look at the defense as a whole and the way QW has been used, I'm not mad.  Still think he can be a great player.  They've completely overhauled what was a very bad secondary which should help QB.  Although the low reps won't do him many favors.

Like Leo, if that draft draft were to be done over again I seriously doubt he would go as high as he went but he isn't terrible either.

So not in the pantheon of Jets first round "immortals" like Vernon Ghoslton, Dee Milliner or Quinton Coples to name just a few.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Like Leo, if that draft draft were to be done over again I seriously doubt he would go as high as he went but he isn't terrible either.

So not in the pantheon of Jets first round "immortals" like Vernon Ghoslton, Dee Milliner or Quinton Coples to name just a few.

At least all of those were attempts to land impact players at premium positions.

I'd rather swing and miss on players like those than take a nice, safe player friggin # 3 overall who will never move the needle.

F**k Maccagnan.  Tannenbaum >>> Idzik >> Maccagnan.

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Too often, the draft is viewed as a method to fill all of a team’s holes right away.  As if every pick will end up a long-term starter.

No.  It’s about maximizing your odds of coming away with some elite young talent, with premium positions taking priority.  Because you know some/most of the guys will be misses.  

Replacements for some of the skills QW and Mosley bring to the table can usually be found in free agency.  The types of players Douglas drafted in this class usually cannot.  

So, no, I’m not really surprised at all that he elected not to use any of the picks he had on a DT or ILB.  QW and Mosley are both locked in on the roster this year and need to do their jobs.  Replacements can wait. 

Fair enough with Mosley.  But with Williams, IMO you're sort of locking yourself in to a second contract by not drafting a replacement now. His trade value will be higher this year vs. next year, you really can't let him walk since he's worth a lot more than a comp pick, and I'm not sure it makes good $$ sense to franchise him for whatever that number will be.  I think they've limited their options vs. having the flexibility to develop a draft pick.  Clearly if a guy like Ruckert, Mitchell or Clemons turns into an above average starter, I'm wrong...

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

Does anyone want to comment on the fact that this article puts Kyler Murray ahead of Nick Bosa?  Would anyone take Murray over Bosa in any situation?  So there's that...

I was thinking about that, and for a team without a qb, its a tough call.  Bosa has been injured a lot, and K Murray is a top ten qb (closer to ten than 5 but still). 

Gun to the head as a new GM, I probably take Murray just b/c QB.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:25 PM, hmhertz said:

There were 13 defensive linemen & 16 defensive players better

than our star center piece according to Bucky

Where does he say there were 13 defensive linemen & 16 defensive players better?  You know when the entire list is 15 defensive and offensive