Zach isn't the most important thing; getting to the QB is

Maxman

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I've noticed the "Blame LaFleur" argument seems to be the new "Defense of Zach" meme here of late. :-k

Still?   That is so 2021.  I thought that went out the window with the success with Mike White, Joe Flacco and Josh Johnson.  They all seemed to do better than Wilson. 

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its possible that Wilson sucks as well as LaFleur

Its possible that LaFleur sucks as a coach and is not teaching Wilson

Its possible that Wilson sucks as a prospect and LaFleur is actually a good coach.

I have not seen anything from LaFleur to make me think hes a good coach at all, that doesnt make for Wilson defense, as they are two separate topics IMO. For once it would be nice to hire a coaching staff with direct experience and proof of developing a good QB. It why when Reid was available we should have gone after him at all costs/expenses. Its why I preferred McCarthy over Gase although McCarthy has his own challenges.  If you have a staff who has done it before, it partially takes that question and unknown out of the equation. 

If ZW busts, do you let this same staff and GM pick and develop another high QB? I sure as hell don't, because LaFleur was in on the ZW selection, so if he can't develop the guy he selects, why let him select and develop another one?

I absolutely let them continue with another QB.  Might be a vet, might be another draft pick.  I might feel different if we had traded up for Wilson, but we basically were sitting with a choice of picking up the option on Darnold or drafting sombody new, I can't complain. 

#2 overall + Darnold on a big  contract or Wilson + a 4th.  It's not a slam dunk, but a reasonable decision even if you are unsure of Wilson.  If Lance or Fields were lighting it up it also might change my perception.

The fact that White came in and lit it up and even Josh Johnson looked effective makes me think Wilson's problems are more likely to be nature than nurture. 

2 hours ago, football guy said:

The bad news is that we're going to be awful against the run. We were bad last year despite Foley Fatukasi being one of the best run defending DTs in the NFL (played 53% of the defensive snaps, had the 4th highest run stop win rate among DTs at 43%) who is no longer with the team. They will replace his snaps with a combination of pass rush-first interior defensive lineman (Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, John Franklin-Myers, Solomon Thomas) and a somewhat ineffective space-eater in Nathan Shepherd. Quinnen is by far the best and most impactful run defender of the group, but asking for him to shoulder Foley's load plus his own as a play disruptor/pass rusher is a lot. 

That means the 2 games against the Pats are not going to be very much fun.

Just now, jgb said:

The Dolphins are going to be our toughest division games. That team is a perfect match for our weaknesses.

Interesting. I could definitely see their short passing game wrecking us. 

But I'm also still worried the Pats will be able to run on us at will. 

Basically, we have a much better roster, but we still need to prove we can actually compete in this division. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sure, Zach Wilson is the story of the year. Yes. We have to find out what he is all about. I am not debating that.

Looking at the roster though, the most important thing is that they get to the QB.  4 linebackers on the roster right now. A defensive line that is being paid a lot of money. Tons of edge depth to keep guys fresh with this rotation.

If they don't get to the QB often, this defense is going to be terrible again. The secondary is improved but everything is revolving around disrupting the QB.

I hope they can make it happen. Stay healthy Lawson!

Yep.  If they are going to continue running a base one gap 4 -2 -5, getting pressure with a 4 man front is key to making that defense work.  The line has to win 1 on 1.  Sure, there will be the occasional zone blitz or read blitz from the LBs and even the SS here and there, but they have to win man for man up front. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting. I could definitely see their short passing game wrecking us. 

But I'm also still worried the Pats will be able to run on us at will. 

Basically, we have a much better roster, but we still need to prove we can actually compete in this division. 

I don’t have much logic for my position, I will admit. Just a very strong vibration in my red lightsaber.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Dolphins are going to be our toughest division games. That team is a perfect match for our weaknesses.

Dolphins/Jets are always strange games.  Anything can happen regardless of the condition/scheme quality of either team.  It is a really strange matchup to predict year in and year out.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Still?   That is so 2021.  I thought that went out the window with the success with Mike White, Joe Flacco and Josh Johnson.  They all seemed to do better than Wilson. 

I absolutely let them continue with another QB.  Might be a vet, might be another draft pick.  I might feel different if we had traded up for Wilson, but we basically were sitting with a choice of picking up the option on Darnold or drafting sombody new, I can't complain. 

#2 overall + Darnold on a big  contract or Wilson + a 4th.  It's not a slam dunk, but a reasonable decision even if you are unsure of Wilson.  If Lance or Fields were lighting it up it also might change my perception.

The fact that White came in and lit it up and even Josh Johnson looked effective makes me think Wilson's problems are more likely to be nature than nurture. 

If you see enough from the staff outside of QB, I suppose I would be OK with a vet coming in, but thats a big if. A draft pick, particularly high, would be very risky to me with this regime

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Fu**ing Mud Bowl.  That game crushed me.  Was just a tyke and was soooo sure they were going to the Super Bowl.  

I ate at a Shula’s steakhouse once. I jammed paper towels in the bathroom sink drain and left the water running. **** him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I absolutely let them continue with another QB.  Might be a vet, might be another draft pick. 

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

Àla the Steelers. Both Trubisky and Pickett ballin’. No one’s confidence or feelz appear to be hurt.

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

I ate at a Shula’s steakhouse once. I jammed paper towels in the bathroom sink drain and left the water running. **** him.

I hope you left the rain tarp off the bathroom floor.  If that game was played on a dry field the Jets would have won.  Yeah, I know... Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  I also believe the Jets had the style to beat the Redskins. CAUGH...  I mean Commanders

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

I hope you left the rain tarp off the bathroom floor.  If that game was played on a dry field the Jets would have won.  Yeah, I know... Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  I also believe the Jets had the style to beat the Redskins. CAUGH...  I mean Commanders

Sal Alosi is a national treasure. Discuss.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sal Alosi is a national treasure. Discuss.

He actually was.  When he was the S&C guy, the Jets were blessed with very few injuries.  After he left, the injury rate shot up.  I'd be willing to bet he was a big part of the reason there were fewer injuries.   He was invaluable on the kickoff wall too.  

• Upvote 1

Biggest thing for the Jets in 2022 ?

STAY HEALTHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so tired of this team being in the top 5 in injuries 

JD looks like he has done a nice job putting a team together. For the first time since 2016 I am actually looking forward to a season of Jets football instead of just biding my time waiting for the MLB playoffs to start and Rangers hockey.

Not going to worry about the QB. Maybe a little about the coaching, Defense is gonna be good to really good.

Just stay healthy. All I am asking for