"Pressure From The D-Line Was Relentless" | Baldy's Breakdown

Love this DL...getting better every week.

The Giants put consistent pressure on Rodgers.  Lots of it with blitzes.   It forced a lot of quick release short passes.  IMO...Rodgers didn't have a big game against Giants decimated secondary due to that pressure.   Long pass plays success was more due to pass interference calls against Giants then from completions. 
And the game ended with Rodgers inside Giants 5 yard line having his 3rd and 4th down throws batted away due to Giants pressure and penetration.  

It will be interesting to see how the Jets defensive plan is against Packers.  Will they occasionally mix in a call with either Whitehead or Kwon on a blitz?  Or consistently stay with only the DL applying the pressure.  But pressure is definitely the key on defense.  Not allowing Rodgers to get comfortable in the pocket...and get into a rhythm.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Love this DL...getting better every week.

The Giants put consistent pressure on Rodgers.  Lots of it with blitzes.   It forced a lot of quick release short passes.  IMO...Rodgers didn't have a big game against Giants decimated secondary due to that pressure.   Long pass plays success was more due to pass interference calls against Giants then from completions. 
And the game ended with Rodgers inside Giants 5 yard line having his 3rd and 4th down throws batted away due to Giants pressure and penetration.  

It will be interesting to see how the Jets defensive plan is against Packers.  Will they occasionally mix in a call with either Whitehead or Kwon on a blitz?  Or consistently stay with only the DL applying the pressure.  But pressure is definitely the key on defense.  Not allowing Rodgers to get comfortable in the pocket...and get into a rhythm.  

I think the Jets only rushing 4 against the GB is a recipe for disaster,  not because of GBs OL, but because Rogers is about the best pocket navigator in the game right now. He just instinctively  knows where to move and it isn't  running to one side, it is a step this way or a step that way which buys him that extra second to get the pass off. If the Jets want to disrupt Rogers, they have to collapse  the pocket. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I think the Jets only rushing 4 against the GB is a recipe for disaster,  not because of GBs OL, but because Rogers is about the best pocket navigator in the game right now. He just instinctively  knows where to move and it isn't  running to one side, it is a step this way or a step that way which buys him that extra second to get the pass off. If the Jets want to disrupt Rogers, they have to collapse  the pocket. 

I would like to see Ulbrich mix in some blitz calls.  Packers OL was very vulnerable to the Giants blitzes last week.  Jets coverage of Packers receivers should be very solid, to allow Jets to blitz more then usual.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Need to collapse the poster and force him to rush his throws.  
If we can get it with a four man rush the better.  

4 man or 3 and a blitzer, nothings different.  He’s still going to move away from a potential sack by sliding around the pocket.  If we can get pressure like we’ve been getting with the 4 man front, still have coverage in the secondary, advantage Jets.  

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Blitzing top QB's who are quick processors and get rid of the ball quickly is usually a bad idea. They have the advantage when there are fewer guys in coverage.

I haven't seen the Packers play this year.  Is Rodgers having trouble against the blitz?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Blitzing top QB's who are quick processors and get rid of the ball quickly is usually a bad idea. They have the advantage when there are fewer guys in coverage.

I haven't seen the Packers play this year.  Is Rodgers having trouble against the blitz?

Rodgers had major problems last week against Giants heavy blitz packages.  He had to make mostly quick short throws.  The deep throw success only succeeded a couple of times due to Giants called for pass interference.  Last two crucial plays of the game had Packers inside Giants 5 yard line.  And Rodgers had his 3rd and 4th down passes batted away due to Giants penetration. 

When you see how vulnerable the Packers OL was against Giants blitzes.  You would think Jets may mix in some blitz plays too.  With kwon or Whitehead.

We'll see how Saleh-Ulbrich reacts to that game film of that game.  And how it may influence their game planning for Sunday.

• Sympathy 1

My opinion is that against QBs like Rodgers- vets who know how to dissect a variety of defenses, have the mobility, pocket awareness, stay cool under pressure and arm strength to make big plays...you have to put DISGUISED pressure on them and force everything underneath. I'm imagining that is what the Jets will do. They will give Rodgers a lot of different looks but will ALWAYS rush minimum 4. 

You have to blitz him. But again, you can't make it obvious or do it regularly cuz he will burn you. 

You can't sit back in coverage because he will have time in the pocket and when it collapses he will scramble out and inevitably hit a receiver for  along gain. But you could probably rush 4 while sending LBs and into coverage once in a while. 

Finally. Rodgers will rely on the run game. Jets D-line needs to be stout against the run and force Rodgers into long downs and obvious passing situations.      

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He did against the Giants. Their blitz package was good.