Offensive Line - Herbig

THE BARON

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Herbig has proven he's a quality starter in this league. He shouldn't have to look for a starting job elsewhere. When AVT returns, he's either our RT, or our left guard. Just the way I'm looking at it.

I’d be ok with moving AVT back to LG, but I’m not sticking him out of position for Herbig just so they can keep Tomlinson at another $13MM the way he’s played most of this season.

They definitely have options.

My main point was more that inking Herbig to a 2-3 year backup-$ contract isn’t likely one of those options.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’d be ok with moving AVT back to LG, but I’m not sticking him out of position for Herbig just so they can keep Tomlinson at another $13MM the way he’s played most of this season.

They definitely have options.

My main point was more that inking Herbig to a 2-3 year backup-$ contract isn’t likely one of those options.

Good point Sperm. AVT, then at RT, next year. If running the football is key to our success and Wilson's health , then Herbig needs to be out there. He's huge and nasty as a run blocker. Can't believe how well he's done in pass protection. Holds up really well

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, genot said:

Good point Sperm. AVT, then at RT, next year. If running the football is key to our success and Wilson's health , then Herbig needs to be out there. He's huge and nasty as a run blocker. Can't believe how well he's done in pass protection. Holds up really well

He’s was a good pickup no doubt, but this was clearly his best game of the season. There’s a second half to the season before they need to decide. Plus also they see him regularly between games, where we only see him on Sundays, so they’ll have a better idea than we do if he’s just doing a good job as a fill-in or if they think he’s just made Tomlinson more expendable. 

Other than that, why do they need to draft/sign a new RT? 

I mean, maybe they do, but why should the team write off Mitchell’s career as nothing more than a backup after 4 games followed by a midseason injury (from which he’ll return any week now)? 

Center needs to get addressed one way or another, but right now I can easily see the guards/tackles next year being:

• G: AVT + Herbig + sign/draft depth with the savings in going from LT3 to Herbig
  • T: Brown + Mitchell + Becton + ‘23 draft pick (+ AVT as emergency starter again)

Nice thing about keeping Brown over Fant next year is that the latter won’t get bent out of shape & express his displeasure on social media in the offseason if he sees the team draft a tackle in round 1 next year. Brown knows perfectly well he’s 38 and doesn’t have 5 more years left (or even close to it).

He’s a perfect bridge player: can go with him & still make the playoffs with him starting if they draft a bust or a rookie (and Becton again) end up injured early. And if not, their hand isn’t forced in round 1 and they can bring the next tackle in more slowly. OL is harder to do that (absent injury) because - like QB - they just don’t rotate in/out throughout the game like other positions.

I think they’re in good shape at tackle even if/when they let Fant go. Truth is even that is premature talk now, because we don’t know what (if any) injuries will happen in the 2nd half of this season first.

Just enjoy it. They have lots of options & more than one of them seem to be good options where they stand today. ?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Herbig has been such a good pick up. He should sign back with a 2-3 year deal and supply us with starting quality depth behind Laken & AVT.

Move AVT to RT (independent of Herbig) but him playing well is icing on the cake and can step up as a starter next season at RG.

I don't think we can assume Becton is reliable enough to be our long term tackle rt or lt due to his injuries.

If Becton makes a full recovery then we've see AVT has no issue rotating between spots and you play your best 5 OL any given week.

Draft a LT and C next draft to sit behind Brown and McG for a season.

10 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Well, he wouldn't be a backup if they kept him as the starting RG and played AVT at RT.  AVT is good enough to play OT....R or L.  Draft a OC and let's go.  Or have Herbig as a backup G if Mitchell is the real deal and move AVT back inside.

He should be a priority signing post-season.

Another option would be to cut ties with Tomlinson, who, while getting better, has been lackluster the first half of the season (at a very high cap hit), have AVT back on the left side, and Herbig on the right side.

We have options... My mind is blow... 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He’s was a good pickup no doubt, but this was clearly his best game of the season. There’s a second half to the season before they need to decide. Plus also they see him regularly between games, where we only see him on Sundays, so they’ll have a better idea than we do if he’s just doing a good job as a fill-in or if they think he’s just made Tomlinson more expendable. 

Other than that, why do they need to draft/sign a new RT? 

I mean, maybe they do, but why should the team write off Mitchell’s career as nothing more than a backup after 4 games followed by a midseason injury (from which he’ll return any week now)? 

Center needs to get addressed one way or another, but right now I can easily see the guards/tackles next year being:

• G: AVT + Herbig + sign/draft depth with the savings in going from LT3 to Herbig
  • T: Brown + Mitchell + Becton + ‘23 draft pick (+ AVT as emergency starter again)

Nice thing about keeping Brown over Fant next year is that the latter won’t get bent out of shape & express his displeasure on social media in the offseason if he sees the team draft a tackle in round 1 next year. Brown knows perfectly well he’s 38 and doesn’t have 5 more years left (or even close to it).

He’s a perfect bridge player: can go with him & still make the playoffs with him starting if they draft a bust or a rookie (and Becton again) end up injured early. And if not, their hand isn’t forced in round 1 and they can bring the next tackle in more slowly. OL is harder to do that (absent injury) because - like QB - they just don’t rotate in/out throughout the game like other positions.

I think they’re in good shape at tackle even if/when they let Fant go. Truth is even that is premature talk now, because we don’t know what (if any) injuries will happen in the 2nd half of this season first.

Just enjoy it. They have lots of options & more than one of them seem to be good options where they stand today. ?

Nothing wrong with Mitchell being the 3rd tackle on a contending team. Fant is gone. I could see us using our 1st pick on a replacement for Brown. As much as i like and respect Brown. Going into the season with a 38 yrs old LT, concerns me. 

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Nothing wrong with Mitchell being the 3rd tackle on a contending team. Fant is gone. I could see us using our 1st pick on a replacement for Brown. As much as i like and respect Brown. Going into the season with a 38 yrs old LT, concerns me. 

Could be, but there were concerns with him this year at 37. The reigning SB champs started a 40 yr old LT (and did so a year after he missed half the prior season). 

I’d be fine with them drafting a LT in round 1, just like I’m ecstatic they didn’t this year. All the same, they don’t have to do so. Not where they’re sitting today. On paper they’re heading into the offseason with 3 starting tackles on the roster (justified Becton comments notwithstanding). That’s before FA and before the draft. 

This roster is nasty, and in no way about to collapse in cap hell after going all-in on 2022. Even if Wilson reverts to facepalming, the rest of the roster is plug & play with anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be, but there were concerns with him this year at 37. The reigning SB champs started a 40 yr old LT (and did so a year after he missed half the prior season). 

I’d be fine with them drafting a LT in round 1, just like I’m ecstatic they didn’t this year. All the same, they don’t have to do so. Not where they’re sitting today. On paper they’re heading into the offseason with 3 starting tackles on the roster (justified Becton comments notwithstanding). That’s before FA and before the draft. 

This roster is nasty, and in no way about to collapse in cap hell after going all-in on 2022. Even if Wilson reverts to facepalming, the rest of the roster is plug & play with anyone else. 

I need to remember1957080303_OscarMadison.jpg.6be392f801a70ae899a83321e2cfbeca.jpg to put on my glasses reading your posts. When I don't, I develop blurry vision. Not from content, but from the length of them. 

• Haha 1

Sorry, did not see this thread.  Posted another above.  Mods can merge.

They put on a command performance yesterday. 

Brown played another excellent game.  His arrival stabilized the line and we started winning the battles on the line of scrimmage.  We simply cannot give old man Brown enough credit.  He is executing the zone scheme as if he has been playing it for years - which he has.  His play has been contagious. 

Thomlinson played a solid game and his movement skills - he is a pulling guard - were on display when we took it to them in the 4th quarter.  Again, this is an experienced zone scheme lineman.  It is not a surprise that we are beginning to gel. 

McGovern played his best ball since joining the green.  He did not get the glory - see below - but he kept picking up Thomlinson's and Herbig's opponents when we ran that crazy play which really F'ed up the Bills.  Those opponents did not get away.  Some fine play by the Center.  We were tight. 

Herbig is the glue on this line.  His pulls to the left on that crazy LaFleur play (the one with the end around where the WR runs around Zack like a telephone pole) are now the stuff of Jet legend.  Just watch the tape.  He kept smashing the poor bastard with weakside containment.  It was more than a morale crusher.  It was an actual crusher.  That play allows Herbig to take two or more steps before taking on his assignment.  He was blowing guys up.  I would say his play has come out of nowhere but it has not.  He has played well since we put him in the game.  Every team that comes together finds somebody like Herbig. 

The Mighty Og.  Look, I have to sing the virtues of our waiver wire friend.  He is a veteran and the coaches think he is the best guy left.  He has fought back since we put him in the game amidst the groans from all Jetdome (the loss of Mitchell hurt, but to see AVT join him really deflated the bag).  Guys, he has played pretty well.  I expect Fant and/or Mitchell to return after the bye.  So I can tell the Mighty Og this:

For the rest of your career, Jet fans will great you well.  Years from now when you hang them up, we will say your career may be over but you were somebody.  You were not a "never was".  That was a BIG win for the green and you were the starting right tackle. 

The funny thing about yesterday's game was that crazy play I mentioned above.  Somebody needs to post it.  We ran it so often that we used it as a vehicle for wrinkles and play action.  It left the Bills flatfooted and that let the Jets run the ball at them with authority.  One heck of a game.