College football thread 11-25

freestater

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Kinda weird I never connected to a college team. Part of the problem of course is living in the northeast. 

kinda almost became an OSU fan because I know an alumni from there but I’m kinda into the whole underdog thing lol. 

any suggestions? Doesn’t have to be an underdog, just not Alabama or OSU

Honestly I've never connected to a team in College because of the short term nature of it, but that's part of why I enjoy it so much. If I don't root for anyone I can just enjoy the pure sport. 

Maybe just find the closest competent team to you. 

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Don’t you get the feeling that if he leaves, Iowa will be like tennessee(besides this year) after Fulmer, or Michigan st after dantoni

and after a few years after ferentz is gone, you’ll be wishing for a 8-4 season again 

I really think this is the best you can do with that program 

Teams like Bama, LSU, even Gerogia and now Tennessee were stuck in the have talent but old school coaching for a years but the coaches for those teams either got canned or realized we have to get modern and they all had some great success.  Iowa can never draw on that kind of talent but if they had any kind of offense the last few years they may have been TCU like. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Kinda weird I never connected to a college team. Part of the problem of course is living in the northeast. 

kinda almost became an OSU fan because I know an alumni from there but I’m kinda into the whole underdog thing lol. 

Totally get it.  NEVER want to root for big time team but now step daughter goes to OSU so I’m in.  My daughters went to NC State and UNC.   So I’m in there too.   Our CEO is a VA tech guy so our conference rooms all have VT names. LOL.    North East…. Syracuse, Rutgers, BC or even ND? 

Totally get it.  NEVER want to root for big time team but now step daughter goes to OSU so I’m in.  My daughters went to NC State and UNC.   So I’m in there too.   Our CEO is a VA tech guy so our conference rooms all have VT names. LOL.    North East…. Syracuse, Rutgers, BC or even ND? 
Never understood rooting for college teams .. there is so little parity .. a handful of privileged institutions that share flip flopping and rubbing each other's backs.

I mean if one were a student there I guess there is some sort of irrational self validation going on ? Like I went to this school and my support somehow affects the team ?

Maybe there is a lot more to it than I am seeing and it deserves a lot more credit ... I admit I only tried getting into it briefly.

But are MICHIGAN, GEORGIA, LSU and OHIO state followers basically akin to Yankees or Patriots fans ?

I will freely admit I never understood the ranking system. Can someone explain it to me?

I mean are they really hand picking teams with a panel of people ???

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

16th ranked FSU rushed the field for barely beating a sh*tty unranked Florida team w/ half their starting line up out.  Enjoy your win, losers. 

JiF ... Seriously .. what is your connection to the schools ... I'm seriously just trying to understand the college football attraction.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

JiF ... Seriously .. what is your connection to the schools ... I'm seriously just trying to understand the college football attraction.

I have a degree in Internet Debate from the University of Florida. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Don’t you get the feeling that if he leaves, Iowa will be like tennessee(besides this year) after Fulmer, or Michigan st after dantoni

and after a few years after ferentz is gone, you’ll be wishing for a 8-4 season again 

I really think this is the best you can do with that program 

It’s quite possible.  That can happen to literally every program in the country.  In the past twenty years alone there were times where Bama, USC, Michigan, Florida, FSU, Texas and several other blue blood or very good programs were mediocre at best.  To that point, I don’t think you can live by the mindset of “well things could get worse”.  

Iowa’s program ceiling is relatively clear to me.  It’s essentially been the same ceiling for 40 years.  They are usually going to be respectful and competitive.  Their most likely seasons are somewhere from 7-9 wins. They have fallen in that range nearly 50% of the seasons for the past 40 years.  But on occasion, on average about once every 4 years, they will have a really good team, top 10 caliber, that can compete for a conference title in earnest.  History has bore that out to be achievable at Iowa, even before Ferentz.  There have been 10 instances of those seasons over the same span.  So in 30 of the last 40 years, Iowa has been good to very good.  

To ultimately answer your question, I think there are plenty of coaches that could maintain that type of success at Iowa.  That’s all I really want.  Once every 4 years get me in the hunt to be a legit Big Ten Title threat and let the chips fall as they may.  I think that’s a reasonable expectation for a school with the geographical limitations Iowa has.

The problem with Ferentz currently is that it seems as though those peaks are over with now and 7-8 wins are now the best he can do, which I don’t believe is the best Iowa can do.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Never understood rooting for college teams .. there is so little parity .. a handful of privileged institutions that share flip flopping and rubbing each other's backs.

I mean if one were a student there I guess there is some sort of irrational self validation going on ? Like I went to this school and my support somehow affects the team ?

Maybe there is a lot more to it than I am seeing and it deserves a lot more credit ... I admit I only tried getting into it briefly.

But are MICHIGAN, GEORGIA, LSU and OHIO state followers basically akin to Yankees or Patriots fans ?

I will freely admit I never understood the ranking system. Can someone explain it to me?

I felt that way until i moved to NC.  BUT I do detest the people who root for say OSU, UNC and DUKE and are front runners from other schools or never went.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

I have a degree in Internet Debate from the University of Florida. 

I throw Florida in the pack of top schools that half the fans couldnt find Gainesville on the map.  Like UNC, Duke, OSU it attracts a lot of non  alumni to be nice at best.  I have cancelled checks from UNC and NCSU so i have a small link to the schools. ?

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Georgia was grad school for me.  So I root for my school.  And Georgia is nowhere close to following the Yankees or Partriots.  1 SEC Championship in about 15 years.  1 National Title in 40 years.  We may be one of the "privileged elite" right now, but we have not been there long.  2 playoff appearances.  1 Title.   I have spent most of my time as a Georgia grad/fan chasing Florida, then Alabama.  

We have not been among the Alabama-Clemson-OSU triumvirate that is there seemingly every year.

And as far as irrational self validation -- isn't being a sports fan in general somewhat irrational.  When the Jets win a game, what have any of us really accomplished, but we react as if we have actually done something.  I can't explain why I am a fan and why I take pleasure in my teams winning.  I just know that I do, and that is good enough for me.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Larz said:

Beilema is building a pretty damn good program in Illinois. 

Georgia was grad school for me.  So I root for my school.  And Georgia is nowhere close to following the Yankees or Partriots.  1 SEC Championship in about 15 years.  1 National Title in 40 years.  We may be one of the "privileged elite" right now, but we have not been there long.  2 playoff appearances.  1 Title.   I have spent most of my time as a Georgia grad/fan chasing Florida, then Alabama.  
We have not been among the Alabama-Clemson-OSU triumvirate that is there seemingly every year.
And as far as irrational self validation -- isn't being a sports fan in general somewhat irrational.  When the Jets win a game, what have any of us really accomplished, but we react as if we have actually done something.  I can't explain why I am a fan and why I take pleasure in my teams winning.  I just know that I do, and that is good enough for me.
Cool .. and please know I'm not discounting it at all .. I didn't go to a big school so I never had that connection ...

... Then I tried to get into it as I felt like I must have been missing out on something ... But then the more I watched the less regard I had for it ...

It just felt like big money was creating an uneven closed system , setup primarily to prop themselves up higher than the rest of the world.

There was no real parity except in this exclusive tight knitted community old schools.

I'm sure.its awesome if you are in the club.

Crazy you say this...I became a Nebraska fan in 83 after watching them play Miami... first college game I ever saw and became a fan... they are on tv in the NY area at least 7 or 8 times a year.. coastal Carolina is another team I started rooting for... nice program in a nice conference... they were one of the few schools that were on during the pandemic and enjoyed watching them

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I throw Florida in the pack of top schools that half the fans couldnt find Gainesville on the map.  Like UNC, Duke, OSU it attracts a lot of non  alumni to be nice at best.  I have cancelled checks from UNC and NCSU so i have a small link to the schools. ?

Sure but if you're from that surrounding areas, you become a fan because approximation.  There is literally, nothing in that part of the state.  Lots of no grad Gators fans in Florida.  It's a mega brand too, so there is that.

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Sure but if you're from that surrounding areas, you become a fan because approximation.  There is literally, nothing in that part of the state.  Lots of no grad Gators fans in Florida.  It's a mega brand too, so there is that.

Agreed and understood. Like OSU, MICH etc.  Half the fans of UNC and Duke could barely graduate HS and I assume its no different for Florida.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, southparkcpa said:

Agreed and understood. Like OSU, MICH etc.  Half the fans of UNC and Duke could barely graduate HS and I assume its no different for Florida.  

100%.  The only difference is in Florida there are more major universities so you dont have like the overwhelming the majority of the state w/ rooting interest like Mich and OSU.  Like for example my High School was a feeder to Florida, FSU and UCF - 50k student body, all potentially ranked Football teams.  However, the biggest example of this The U.  90% of the Miami fans have never stepped on campus or could locate it on a map.  That's a city/brand thingy for sure.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The big game of today is obviously Michigan vs OSU, If Blake Corum can play to his usual standards I'd give Michigan a chance.  If he can't play or his injury slows him this could be a blow out for osu.

The other biggy is USC vs Notre Dame, if USC wins then they probably jump the lose of the osu michigna game?

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The big game of today is obviously Michigan vs OSU, If Blake Corum can play to his usual standards I'd give Michigan a chance.  If he can't play or his injury slows him this could be a blow out for osu.

The other biggy is USC vs Notre Dame, if USC wins then they probably jump the lose of the osu michigna game?

0E3C1BD9-5764-4B7F-9100-C949A11E80E2.jpegGF daughter is junior at OSU.   We’re at the beach cheering. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1