55 Years Ago Today

SoFlaJets

46 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The Ice Bowl-perhaps the greatest NFL Game (next to SB III of course) I ever saw. In my mind's eye I can see myself sitting in the living room with my Pop. There are a few things that being old gives us. The 60's were an amazing time to be alive in America.

Thank god for NFL Films or I wouldn't have experienced any of it. As a kid I used to set my VCR to record all of the Super Bowl replays and anything else NFL FILMS put out. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The Ice Bowl-perhaps the greatest NFL Game (next to SB III of course) I ever saw. In my mind's eye I can see myself sitting in the living room with my Pop. There are a few things that being old gives us. The 60's were an amazing time to be alive in America.

Remember it well also. Was just a great time to watch sports. You and I are from the same era . Just turned 65 last week, and am now a proud member of teamMedicare.? Happy New Year fellow Geezer.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Amazing game.  Both teams were absolutely staked with great coaching.  It was a war of attrition.  

13 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I can still see that QB sneak by Bart Starr going over Jerry Kramer

Starr is one of the most overlooked all time great QB's in NFL history.   6 playoff games 15 TD's 3 INT's with a QB rating over 104.  Unheard of numbers in that era.  He elevated his game against the best in the biggest spots.  

In that game he was under tremendous pressure.  He was sacked 8 times.  Didn't turn it over, threw for 2 passing TD's with 111 QBR in absurdly bad playing conditions. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Starr is one of the most overlooked all time great QB's in NFL history.   6 playoff games 15 TD's 3 INT's with a QB rating over 104.  Unheard of numbers in that era.  He elevated his game against the best in the biggest spots.  

In that game he was under tremendous pressure.  He was sacked 8 times.  Didn't turn it over, threw for 2 passing TD's with 111 QBR in absurdly bad playing conditions. 

It was like playing on frozen shards of sharp rocks. The one thing that has changed the least about the game of football is the quarterbacking position. Put Bart Starr and his style of play on the Packers tomorrow and he would still throw for 250 yards and complete 20-25 passes. Lenny Dawson too, their styles are still the prototypical models of what a pro QB should look and play like. Of course there just weren't many of those type of guys around back then, it was more like Bob Berry, Norm Snead, Joe Namath and his 48.5 comp %, but the position was harder to play then, QBs were allowed to be killed, (kinda like the Jets QBs have been over the past 20 odd years) and also the running game was much more important and impactful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I remember like it was yesterday I listened to the first half sitting in the back seat of my dad’s car with my family on the way to my grandparents house in Brooklyn.

When we got there and watched the second half, it was eerie. You could almost feel the cold. (maybe watching in black and white added to it?)

That game, and a championship between the Giants and Bears are the only two that I can remember, until the Jets drafted Namath (and John Huarte). Up until then I was all about baseball.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I remember like it was yesterday I listened to the first half sitting in the back seat of the car with my two sisters on the way to my grandparents house in Brooklyn.

That game, and a championship between the Giants and Bears are the only two that I can remember, until the Jets drafted Namath (and John Huarte). Up until then I was all about baseball.

For some reason I thought that THAT was my first pro football game that I watched.(I also remember it like it was last week), but my memory was off because I THOUGHT that it was the last NFL Championship game and the NEXT year was when they started the Super Bowl games. I was wrong because I clearly recall watching every Super Bowl Game up until the last Bills one of the 4 they lost. That game I had other priorities (ahem-don't ask) than watching Buffalo choke-again.

The Ice Bowl I watched with my father on that ice cold NJ afternoon-a memory forever etched in my mind.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

It was like playing on frozen shards of sharp rocks. The one thing that has changed the least about the game of football is the quarterbacking position. Put Bart Starr and his style of play on the Packers tomorrow and he would still throw for 250 yards and complete 20-25 passes. Lenny Dawson too, their styles are still the prototypical models of what a pro QB should look and play like. Of course there just weren't many of those type of guys around back then, it was more like Bob Berry, Norm Snead, Joe Namath and his 48.5 comp %, but the position was harder to play then, QBs were allowed to be killed, (kinda like the Jets QBs have been over the past 20 odd years) and also the running game was much more important and impactful.

Bart Starr’s style of play?  The thing about those Lombardi teams was they ran the same plays over and over and dared the defenses to try and stop them. Lombardi was all about execution.  Starr’s style was that he knew the name of the game was to win and didn’t care about flashy QBs numbers.  Those will come with wins.

and don’t diss joe willy and put him with the likes of bob berry or stormin Norman. Namath revolutionized the position with his passing ability. And when he needed to he could play the ground and pound game.

7 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Wait til MW get us into the post season, you'll forget about those games. Lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Bart Starr’s style of play?  The thing about those Lombardi teams was they ran the same plays over and over and dared the defenses to try and stop them. Lombardi was all about execution.  Starr’s style was that he knew the name of the game was to win and didn’t care about flashy QBs numbers.  Those will come with wins.

and don’t diss joe willy and put him with the likes of bob berry or stormin Norman. Namath revolutionized the position with his passing ability. And when he needed to he could play the ground and pound game.

Joe was my idol back then Range. Some of the best football games I ever saw Joe was the QB in

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I remember like it was yesterday I listened to the first half sitting in the back seat of my dad’s car with my family on the way to my grandparents house in Brooklyn.

Same exact story here.  Remember the car ride to Brooklyn like it was yesterday.  

• Upvote 1