When "learning to win" / anti-tanking goes wrong

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably not.  But they'd have had a pick slot where Herbert was likely going to still be available.  I.E. they could have traded down to someone who DID want Herbert.  

Honestly, if memory serves Herbert wasn’t an especially well liked prospect. Which is pretty funny in retrospect of course. Evaluation of quarterbacks is so bad.

Wonder who might have moved up. Next QB to go was Love to the Packers. That was the year I wanted Hurts as insurance.

Two years after Darnold too, I got thrown by the draft/season lag.

Really the miss that year was the layup in Wirfs who was there at eleven anyway, you sign Fant to not worry about taking a RT, kind of like the miss in 2021 was taking that SF trade. The missed layups are what’s killer about Douglas. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Honestly, if memory serves Herbert wasn’t an especially well liked prospect. Which is pretty funny in retrospect of course. Evaluation of quarterbacks is so bad.

Wonder who might have moved up. Next QB to go was Love to the Packers. That was the year I wanted Hurts as insurance.

Two years after Darnold too, I got thrown by the draft/season lag.

Really the miss that year was the layup in Wirfs who was there at eleven anyway, you sign Fant to not worry about taking a RT, kind of like the miss in 2021 was taking that SF trade. The missed layups are what’s killer about Douglas. 

I agree. It’s not so much where you pick all the time it’s what you do with that pick 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

I agree. It’s not so much where you pick all the time it’s what you do with that pick 

Most of the time - I think with QB’s it’s a little different. The two that really stick out are Matt Ryan and Lawrence. Extra because the Jets just got absolutely nothing out of the picks those drafts.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe?  I'm just following the money here.  QBs make a lot more than coaches do for a reason.  And we all know (or should know by now, at least) that no coach can "fix" or gameplan for a dogsh*t QB.

The salary floor means that all owners have to spend more or less the same on player payroll 

There's no salary cap or floor on staff. The jets have coaches that get busted for dui and gambling. That's got nothing to do with the draft slot 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Most of the time - I think with QB’s it’s a little different. The two that really stick out are Matt Ryan and Lawrence. Extra because the Jets just got absolutely nothing out of the picks those drafts.

Ryan yes but TL, who wasn’t logically attainable, could’ve traded the pick for a boatload of picks and really set the team up for the time we did draft a QB. We went with ZW which turned out to be wrong but in hindsight. The picks was still very beneficial if used right. 

Ryan was just a bad luck year for us 6th pick in a 5 pick draft I remember hearing 

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

Ryan yes but TL, who wasn’t logically attainable, could’ve traded the pick for a boatload of picks and really set the team up for the time we did draft a QB. We went with ZW which turned out to be wrong but in hindsight. The picks was still very beneficial if used right. 

Ryan was just a bad luck year for us 6th pick in a 5 pick draft I remember hearing 

Yeah of course, and the team would absolutely be better than they are currently if they took the SF trade, but they would’ve been even better if they’d lost games once they were 0-13 and had a chance to take Lawrence.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah of course, and the team would absolutely be better than they are currently if they took the SF trade, but they would’ve been even better if they’d lost games once they were 0-13 and had a chance to take Lawrence.

If they had gotten Lawrence, Doug Pederson is probably the HC of the NYJ right now. Notice how long he stayed retired after Urban Meyer flamed out?

Just now, section314 said:

If they had gotten Lawrence, Doug Pederson is probably the HC of the NYJ right now. Notice how long he stayed retired after Urban Meyer flamed out?

Yeah that’s a rock solid point, coaches take appealing jobs on purpose. Sean Payton will never come here now…if the Jets had Lawrence? Who knows.

• Post of the Week 4

38 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah that’s a rock solid point, coaches take appealing jobs on purpose. Sean Payton will never come here now…if the Jets had Lawrence? Who knows.

Yep.  Coaches with options go where the best QBs are (or where they get a good shot at a future FQB in the draft).

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.png.a3a8942a8e87e6ea56774f623a45733d.png

image.png.a43961f1ff91e8a327edce7bbdb0c874.png

image.thumb.png.1ba76d06d0ef7be71dd78fc8db226e68.png

image.thumb.png.faa8700b9b03c4d8783847ace098244e.png

After this game I was so pissed because I knew what it meant....another decade plus of purgatory....

I've tried to be hopeful and entertain the thought of being wrong....with a young QB and some pieces from the last draft, but I knew all along what that game meant for us.....

GFY Braden Mann!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I know he made the pro bowl, but Mosley and the rest of the LBs are kind of trash

They can’t cover sh-t and that was some of the worst tackling I’ve ever seen 

It wasn’t just Walker either 

He’s a baller

When Deejay freaking Dallas has a career high 100+ yards from scrimmage, it’s a sign your defense is broken 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I know he made the pro bowl, but Mosley and the rest of the LBs are kind of trash

They can’t cover sh-t and that was some of the worst tackling I’ve ever seen 

It wasn’t just Walker either 

He’s a baller

When Deejay freaking Dallas has a career high 100+ yards from scrimmage, it’s a sign your defense is broken 

QW is why Mosely made the pro bowl

7 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

I have to give Shahid Khan credit....He didn't hesitate to get Minshew benched for Glennon when he knew he was close to landing TLaw......

Only a clueless bum like Woody doesn't see the opportunity he had at 0-13 and immediately fire Gase and hire whoever on the CS would be willing to empty out the bench in the name of "Player evaluation" 

Wait are we still pretending minshew isn’t horrible?

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Wait are we still pretending minshew isn’t horrible?

Minshew would be the best Jets QB since half a season of Dic Pic Brett. But no, I don’t think he can turn a franchise around. He’s more of a guy you bring in if you want middle of the road QB play.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Minshew would be the best Jets QB since half a season of Dic Pic Brett. But no, I don’t think he can turn a franchise around. He’s more of a guy you bring in if you want middle of the road QB play.

Yep, solid QB1b/QB2.  No one ever said he’s a savior.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

After this game I was so pissed because I knew what it meant....another decade plus of purgatory....

I've tried to be hopeful and entertain the thought of being wrong....with a young QB and some pieces from the last draft, but I knew all along what that game meant for us.....

GFY Braden Mann!!!!!!!!!

the matrix GIF

• Haha 1