Reminder: We're Not Unique in how we Think About the Offseason

Warfish

12 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Fact and sadly, I dont think this actually applies to the NY Jets.  The roster is dog sh*t.   Who do the Jets actually have outside of G. Wilson?  Everyone else sucks ball sack.  Oh wait, sorry, they have a guard coming of injury, whoopity doo! like how sad is that?  What fanbase, is like...yo!  peep our talent, we got this WR and this guard, bro, we're trending!!!!  We have no idea what Hall is...he was a flash in the pan for a few games before a devastating injury that could take years to recover from, if ever.  We all thought Michael Carter was good and he regressed to dog sh*t.

Sad reality; the Jets need a lot more than some sh*tty veteran QB who is available for a reason

Add to that Quinnen Williams is going to want to get paid, and he's going to get paid a lot, then couple that with Joe Douglas is going to pay a lot for a quarterback this off-season. Good luck Joe. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

11-6 and lose a tiebreaker? There are only 2 teams with winning records that did not make the playoffs. 

That’s probably true, but it’s not an impossible scenario. The point is, a mandate is short sided and could potentially be a really stupid thing to do.

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Also, just an aside, it is amazing to me how similar the Washington 'Ders and NY Jets actually are.

Same strengths, same weaknesses, same desperations, same plans for this offseason, same complaints about Ownership.

It's eerie actually, at least for me living here and loving the Jets.  Duplicate images of each other, even if some of the details are different (Saleh is a rookie, Rivera a Vet, both not so great and not loved by fans, Wilson a young #2 pick, Wentz and older high pick, both busted hard when they were counted on to change the game for each city, both teams dominated by good Defenses, Jets by a DT and a CB, 'Ders by their D-Line more than anything).

Local word this morning, an Ownership change might shocking happen much faster than anyone thinks.  Like within weeks, and pre-Super Bowl.

The Ders were excited about Chase Young a couple of years ago.  But you can't win with defense anymore.  The NFL has been an offensive league for a while now.  To not have a QB is to not be a serious contender.

And the crap that's on the FA market is obviously going to have flaws or else it wouldn't be there.  And those QBs are going to want to be overpaid because teams that are looking for FA QBs are obviously desperate.

• Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Add to that Quinnen Williams is going to want to get paid, and he's going to get paid a lot, then couple that with Joe Douglas is going to pay a lot for a quarterback this off-season. Good luck Joe. 

Good god, I didnt even think about that and if they cant resign him, there goes that "great" D!.  This team is so ****ed.  

In addition to a quality starting QB, the Jets will need a significant rebuild of the OL.  They've got a LT who is very old and missed some games this year.  The LG was an expensive disappointment.  The C is a free agent mediocrity.  The RG is a potential stud, but missed much of the season with injury.  RT?  Oh boy.  

Becton?  Missed nearly 2 consecutive seasons with knee injuries.  Max Mitchell?  Missed most of the season with multiple injuries, inc. a non football injury (blood clots is the last rumor I read).  Those guys can't be counted on for anything next season.  If either or both end up healthy, that's nice, but the Jets must assume they will not pan out next year.

Swing tackle?  See above. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been teleworking from NY a bunch, but I don't know anybody outside of this thread that has ever called them the Ders.  

It's just what I call them.  :)  

People here, most folks, seem to use the full name.  No short version, no nickname.  No "Commies" or the like.

That or they still call them "Redskins" of course.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, section314 said:

Let’s say there is a mandate next year. You go 11–6 and lose a tiebreaker. See Ya?

No 11 win team will ever miss the playoffs in the new expanded playoffs in a 17 game season.

The last 2 seasons all the tie breakers are on 9 wins. 10 wins is a lock to qualify.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Also, just an aside, it is amazing to me how similar the Washington 'Ders and NY Jets actually are.

Same strengths, same weaknesses, same desperations, same plans for this offseason, same complaints about Ownership.

It's eerie actually, at least for me living here and loving the Jets.  Duplicate images of each other, even if some of the details are different (Saleh is a rookie, Rivera a Vet, both not so great and not loved by fans, Wilson a young #2 pick, Wentz and older high pick, both busted hard when they were counted on to change the game for each city, both teams dominated by good Defenses, Jets by a DT and a CB, 'Ders by their D-Line more than anything).

Local word this morning, an Ownership change might shocking happen much faster than anyone thinks.  Like within weeks, and pre-Super Bowl.

I started a thread on 12/30 titled We are Washington.

You and I talked about the similarities between the two teams then.

?

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

No 11 win team will ever miss the playoffs in the new expanded playoffs in a 17 game season.

The last 2 seasons all the tie breakers are on 9 wins. 10 wins is a lock to qualify.

Again, it was to illustrate the point that if you give a mandate like that and the team has a good season and falls short for a whacky reason, enforcing the mandate would be stupid. 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's just what I call them.  :)  

People here, most folks, seem to use the full name.  No short version, no nickname.  No "Commies" or the like.

That or they still call them "Redskins" of course.

That has been my experience down there.

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

We're not a QB away. 

It's just that in today's NFL, you cannot win anything of merit without a decent QB.

A QB away?  Away from what?  Away from a super bowl?  Probably not.  Away from the playoffs?  Certainly.  They wouldn't have even needed an actually good qb.  Just better than we had.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

That has been my experience down there.

A QB away?  Away from what?  Away from a super bowl?  Probably not.  Away from the playoffs?  Certainly.  They wouldn't have even needed an actually good qb.  Just better than we had.

What available QB will push this team into the playoffs next year?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Was listening to D.C. Sports radio this morning on my commute, and it's worth reminding folks that every idea we have here, EVERY fanbase who missed the playoffs and/or does not have a franchise QB is also thinking about/advocating.

We want Carr?  So do some 'Ders fans.

We what White (or his functional equivalent in Heinike)?  So do 'Der's fans.

Want to trade up for a top 2023 draft QB?  So do 'Ders fans.

What to hold fast and draft the 3rd rated QB at like, pick 10?  So do 'Der's Fans.

We want Sean Payton and want to give him all the power?  Yup, so do 'Ders fans.

Etc. :lol:

Point being this:  Every team that is in the same spot as our team, and there are several, their Owners, GM's, Coaches and Fans are all thinking and saying the same things as us, exploring the same options as us, and dreaming the same dreams as us as we enter the offseason.

There will be several teams inquiring about Carr/Jimmy G, and willing to overpay for/to them

There will be several teams trying to trade up, desperate for a QB.

All these possible options we like will be chased by several teams, raising the cost well beyond the pure trade value of the assets in question.  Cost bloat is real.

And the competition will be real.  We may want Carr, as an example, just like some of us wanted Cousins.....but we didn't get Cousins.  And we likely won't get Carr, even if we all wanted him.  Someone will outbid JD, who isn't known for overspending in his career so far.

Same goes for Jimmy G, trading up to #1, or trying to pry Rodgers from Green Bay (lol).

Dream big, the offseason, like buying a lottery ticket, is all about daydreams and fantasies......

But remember that's all most of these ideas are, fantasies.  In the real world, it's vastly harder to make these things happen in a capped league, 

Our route to a good QB, and a better season, is going to be hard.  There are no easy answers, or quick fixes in the NFL, and nothing comes without having to out-bid five other desperate teams to get it.

You are SO right. Not only do we (arguably) compete during the season, but the competition continues throughout the offseason. We are in competition with every team in the league for every desirable player, coach and GM.

This is one of the reasons I am not keen on replacing Saleh. On paper it may seem like a good move (to some). But who would we replace him with... and could we actually land the guy we want?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, peebag said:

What available QB will push this team into the playoffs next year?

I think JImmy G or Carr would, but I don't know how hard I want to push for them.  I don't know who else is "available" but mediocre QB play = playoffs IMO.  sh*t, if they got the level Darnold played at this year they'd probably be in.