DeAndre Hopkins

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude, the cap is barely even real.  Teams pay QBs and WRs big money all the time and still have money left over to make other improvements. 

And Douglas, for all his faults, has been very good at signing players onto team-friendly deals that are easy to get out of or restructure.  Lots of cap room can be freed up through a bit of creativity.

Come on with this.  

Derek Carr is not taking a discount to come here.  

Look, I can tell we have some die hard Zach apologists here.  Hopkins is not fixing Zach. Get over it.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Rich Thornburgh said:

Davis sucks.  Draft Johnston or Addison. I’m telling you these guys are can’t miss and will be dynamite opposite Garrett

I’m not sure i would draft a guy and make him the number 2 out the gate. Davis has the drops at times but I trust him in that number 2 role, if we draft someone and he emerges next to Wilson and Moore then okay. 

1 minute ago, August said:

Conklin, CJ, Wilson, Davis and Moore is not bad. 

Moore is a slot guy. Davis likely gone. CJ/Uzomah -- never was a believer although with better QB play we'll get more out of them.

G. Wilson is great but not the big bodied end zone target I'm looking for.

Mike Evans would be so absolutely perfect for this team it's not even funny. Of course, that also means Jets won't do it lol.

Just now, jgb said:

Moore is a slot guy. Davis likely gone. CJ/Uzomah -- never was a believer although with better QB play we'll get more out of them.

G. Wilson is great but not the big bodied end zone target I'm looking for.

Mike Evans would be so absolutely perfect for this team it's not even funny. Of course, that also means Jets won't do it lol.

That’s what the TE are for though. Plus we technically have a big body receiver on the roster, if only we find ways to use him….

Just now, August said:

That’s what the TE are for though. Plus we technically have a big body receiver on the roster, if only we find ways to use him….

Naw, I'll keep thinking big. Small ball not getting it done.

Mike Evans or bust!

Per OTC, any of the following players can be safely cut (I.E. minimal or zero dead cap), as needed, to make room:

• Carl Lawson:  $15M in savings
  • Corey Davis: $10.5M
  • Duane Brown:  $10M
  • Justin Hardee:  $2.4M

We can also free up  $$$, though with a larger dead cap hit, by cutting Mosley, JFM and Berrios.

Like, what are we even doing here, folks?

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Per OTC, any of the following players can be safely cut (I.E. minimal or zero dead cap), as needed, to make room:

• Carl Lawson:  $15M in savings
  • Corey Davis: $10.5M
  • Duane Brown:  $10M
  • Justin Hardee:  $2.4M

We can also free up some $$$, though with a larger dead cap hit, by cutting Mosley, JFM and Berrios.

Like, what are we even doing here, folks?

WE DON'T HAVE A QB!!!!!

• Haha 1

I love Hopkins as a player. The money isn’t terrible for a player his caliber, but it’s not great for a guy who’s your #2 receiver in an offense that wants to be balanced at best, if not built around the running game?  Plus giving a decent pick to do it?  I’m out, I think.

9 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Derek Carr is not taking a discount to come here.  

Look, I can tell we have some die hard Zach apologists here.  Hopkins is not fixing Zach. Get over it.

Yeah that's me, a known Zach apologist.  

What does Derek Carr have anything to do with this?  I want Minshew, personally.  I also want really good players if they're available at multiple positions on the field.  Hopkins is, like, still good at football and stuff.  

Dafuq is wrong with you.  Not every thread is going to be primarily a QB discussion.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow its almost like message boards aren't always predicated on what is likely to happen and are merely for hypothetical discussions.  Who knew!

It's a long offseason dude.  

It’s not even realistic lol. At least Deebo Samuel was a little more realistic. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah that's me, a known Zach apologist.  

What does Derek Carr have anything to do with this?  I want Minshew, personally.  I also want really good players if they're available at multiple positions on the field.  Hopkins is, like, still good at football and stuff.  

Dafuq is wrong with you.  Not every thread is going to be primarily a QB discussion.

nothing wrong with throwing out several lines, either. Try for hopkins and evans and half a dozen other guys in parallel

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, August said:

It’s not even realistic lol. At least Deebo Samuel was a little more realistic. 

Deebo was never seriously on the trade block.  Hopkins, apparently, is.  Logic suggests Hopkins is more realistic than Deebo was.

But go ahead and keep telling us players the Jets won't get all offseason.  You're fun.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Deebo was never seriously on the trade block.  Hopkins, apparently, is.  Logic suggests Hopkins is more realistic than Deebo was.

But go ahead and keep telling us players the Jets won't get all offseason.  You're fun.  

They would’ve traded him if they couldn’t reach a deal. The point is Hopkins number 1 doesn’t fit our timeline. Number 2 is too expensive and old. And number 3 we do not have a QB. 

3 minutes ago, August said:

They would’ve traded him if they couldn’t reach a deal. The point is Hopkins number 1 doesn’t fit our timeline. Number 2 is too expensive and old. And number 3 we do not have a QB. 

Timeline?  Its playoffs or bust this year for this regime.  The timeline is f**king now.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  You create a perennial contender with a strong young core.  But that doesn't rule out adding quality vets along the way to supplement.  

You build the core then you bring in mercenaries to plug holes/fill needs afterwards once you’re a contender.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The 2022 Jets were 7-4 in Week 12 before it all fell apart.  Sounds like the kind of team who could use a few mercenaries.

Technically we’re likely going to have a mercenary at QB next season. Outside of that we’ve done a good job building a core of guys that will grow together. We have good pieces on the oline (health permitting) a beastly CB tandem, good young D line, solid young receivers and TE, and RB. 

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Hopkins can still play but the injuries and wear and tear have caught up to him. Plus we need to save cap room for a qb

The top 2 WRs in the draft Johnston and Addison are as can’t miss as it gets I’d rather just draft one of them

He played 9 games, 1 with his starting QB and had 700+ yards.  Works out to 1360 for the season.  

This forum is hilarious. Arguably our best player is Garrett Wilson. We have a terrible offensive line and need a veteran QB, don’t have a huge amount of cap space, are significantly more than one player away from being a legit contender, and we are going to trade for a rapidly aging WR and make him our highest paid player? Hopefully JD doesn’t take advise from the amazing minds of this community. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, August said:

Technically we’re likely going to have a mercenary at QB next season. Outside of that we’ve done a good job building a core of guys that will grow together. We have good pieces on the oline (health permitting) a beastly CB tandem, good young D line, solid young receivers and TE, and RB. 

Exactly.  So just embrace it!  We’ll be ok if JD can nail this offseason like he mostly did last year.