DeAndre Hopkins

24 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

This forum is hilarious. Arguably our best player is Garrett Wilson. We have a terrible offensive line and need a veteran QB, don’t have a huge amount of cap space, are significantly more than one player away from being a legit contender, and we are going to trade for a rapidly aging WR and make him our highest paid player? Hopefully JD doesn’t take advise from the amazing minds of this community. 

Yes, deal with it.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And we wouldn’t need him to be so I don’t see the issue.

I was responding to a comment that said Hopkins would be Zach Wilsons legit #1 like Diggs is for Allen....but I also don't think it's necessary or smart to pay a #2 WR 30 millions dollars.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, undertow said:

I was responding to a comment that said Hopkins would be Zach Wilsons legit #1 like Diggs is for Allen....but I also don't think it's necessary or smart to pay a #2 WR 30 millions dollars.

Much better than the money we’ve spent on Corey Davis to be a sh*tty WR1/WR2, or the money we’d spend on his sh*try replacement (if we go mid-tier again), I’d say.

WRs, even WR2s, are expensive.  At least we’d be doing pretty well overall at the position money-wise with Wilson and Moore on their rookie deals.  A vet like Hopkins would be a nice compliment to their skillsets.  We need a dependable possession receiver with good hands right now.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Much better than the money we’ve spent on Corey Davis to be a sh*tty WR1/WR2, or the money we’d spend on his sh*try replacement (if we go mid-tier again), I’d say.

WRs, even WR2s, are expensive.  At least we’d be doing pretty well overall at the position money-wise with Wilson and Moore on their rookie deals.  A vet like Hopkins would be a nice compliment to their skillsets.  We need a dependable possession receiver with good hands right now.

The WR market went bonkers $ wise so much so that Corey could have hung on as the # 2 guy. That being said he plays like a #5 so he is getting cut.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We have about $12-15 mil in cap room depending on the cap increase.  Carr or Brady will want in the neighborhood of $20-25 million per year 

We can’t afford Hopkins right now with zero viable QBs on the roster.  You guys are laughably delusional if you think adding Hopkins fixes Zach.  We could have prime Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice here and Zach would still suck

There is no fixing Zachenerg 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And a Hopkins or Evans really forces defense to play straight up because can’t double Garrett or Hop/Evans … can’t load box to stop Breece. 

even without a top $ FA or trade at qb would kind of unlock the offense no matter who’s at QB as long as they just not afraid to stay in the pocket 

• Post of the Week 1

a little off track but i think interesting.

I met Deandre's grandmother about 7 years ago and had a brief conversation with her. I had asked when did the family know that he had potential to be an NFL caliber player and she told me it was during grammar school. Not sure if they still call it pee wee leagues or maybe it was an age group above but it was prior to high school. Pro scouts were contacting the family and letting them know he was a potential NFL player.

Maybe that is the norm but it floored me that at that young an age, those discussions are occurring.

I would have no issue with him coming here.

• Upvote 1

I dunno, I think I'd prefer to continue committing to building from the draft.  I'm OK with dealing picks for a QB if we have to, but not a 30 year old WR making almost $20M.  Add Carr's $30M and Quinnen's $10M raise and you're looking at $60M gone right off that bat.  Only way we can even do that to begin with would be by cutting all the usual suspects, PLUS Mosley.  Still, you're basically looking at enough to sign a few of your UFAs(McGovern, Rankins, Huff, etc) plus your draft class.  

I bet a solid WR will hit the market that we only have to sign, not trade for, and will contribute just as much for us as Hopkins.  In my mind we just need a reliable #3.  Wilson and Moore are the future, and have proven they can make plays with a competent QB behind a healthy OL.  I don't see the need to spend $20M on a #3, much less lose a 3rd rounder in the process.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I dunno, I think I'd prefer to continue committing to building from the draft.  I'm OK with dealing picks for a QB if we have to, but not a 30 year old WR making almost $20M.  Add Carr's $30M and Quinnen's $10M raise and you're looking at $60M gone right off that bat.  Only way we can even do that to begin with would be by cutting all the usual suspects, PLUS Mosley.  Still, you're basically looking at enough to sign a few of your UFAs(McGovern, Rankins, Huff, etc) plus your draft class.  

I bet a solid WR will hit the market that we only have to sign, not trade for, and will contribute just as much for us as Hopkins.  In my mind we just need a reliable #3.  Wilson and Moore are the future, and have proven they can make plays with a competent QB behind a healthy OL.  I don't see the need to spend $20M on a #3, much less lose a 3rd rounder in the process.

The salary cap part of the equation is pretty much a wash if you move on from Corey Davis & Berrios, which we should anyway. You're swapping out one vet for another. I get not wanting to give up a draft pick but the cap part is kind of a non-factor.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Stark said:

And a Hopkins or Evans really forces defense to play straight up because can’t double Garrett or Hop/Evans … can’t load box to stop Breece. 

even without a top $ FA or trade at qb would kind of unlock the offense no matter who’s at QB as long as they just not afraid to stay in the pocket 

Exactly.  Several teams out there have 3 solid WRs that force the D to cover lots of people at once....AND a really good QB.  Such as:

• Bengals:  Burrow-Chase-Higgins-Boyd
  • Bills:  Allen-Diggs-Davis-McKenzie
  • Chargers:  Herbert-Allen-Williams-Palmer
  • Jaguars:  Lawrence-Ridley-Kirk-Zay Jones
  • Vikings:  Cousins-Jefferson-Thielen-Osborn
  • Buccaneers:  Brady-Godwin-Evans-Jones/Gage

Why can't we?

• Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Several teams out there have 3 solid WRs that force the D to cover lots of people at once....AND a really good QB.  Such as:

Why can't we?

Because Jets fans are not entitled to nice things.  But you already know that.  For the record, I'd be orgasmic if the Jets acquired Hopkins.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The salary cap part of the equation is pretty much a wash if you move on from Corey Davis & Berrios, which we should anyway. You're swapping out one vet for another. I get not wanting to give up a draft pick but the cap part is kind of a non-factor.

It becomes a factor when part of the plan is to bring in a $30M+ QB.  

Regardless of how you want to look at the money, at the end of the day you've got about $12M to sign your UFAs(your starting C, 2 of your starting LBs, one of your starting DTs, your best pass rushing DE, your kicker, and a handful of others); your entire draft class; and a Mosley replacement.  This is assuming you take a FS in the early 2nd and slot them right into the starting lineup, making that a non-need.  

IMO this just complicates things.  No reason why we can't find a solid WR on the market for even half that price....or **** it, just draft Quentin Johnston and go sign McGlinchey to the money Davis was making.  You still have Berrios' money leftover to invest elsewhere.  

Had Zach been the guy, sure.  I'm all in on this move.  We'd have money to spare and could afford to do it.  Even if you sub out Carr for Garoppolo, who will be at least $10M cheaper...I'm in.  If it's Carr though, I just don't see how it works.  In the end we **** ourselves.

28 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Hopkins would be great for this team. A WR that makes the tough catches is really needed.

G Wilson is the playmaker but when its 3rd down, 4th down, or in the red zone a WR with a high catch radius is needed. Corey Davis was supposed to be that guy but he flat out sucks compared to Hopkins

If we are cutting Davis we do need to add a bigger body possession receiver.  I do think Mims showed enough down the stretch that he can get some snaps in that role, and looking around the ~3rd round for someone that fits that mold as well.  

Just now, bonkertons said:

Regardless of how you want to look at the money, at the end of the day you've got about $12M to sign your UFAs(your starting C, 2 of your starting LBs, one of your starting DTs, your best pass rushing DE, your kicker, and a handful of others); your entire draft class; and a Mosley replacement.  This is assuming you take a FS in the early 2nd and slot them right into the starting lineup, making that a non-need.  

IMO this just complicates things.  No reason why we can't find a solid WR on the market for even half that price....or **** it, just draft Quentin Johnston and go sign McGlinchey to the money Davis was making.  You still have Berrios' money leftover to invest elsewhere.  

Had Zach been the guy, sure.  I'm all in on this move.  We'd have money to spare and could afford to do it.  Even if you sub out Carr for Garoppolo, who will be at least $10M cheaper...I'm in.  If it's Carr though, I just don't see how it works.  In the end we **** ourselves.

the cap is a myth. we have a crapload of space in 2024 and these are multi-year contracts where the money gets pushed around like a shell game. there's no reason we can't do both. none.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

The cap isn't real.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Hopkins can still play but the injuries and wear and tear have caught up to him. Plus we need to save cap room for a qb

The top 2 WRs in the draft Johnston and Addison are as can’t miss as it gets I’d rather just draft one of them

I'd say JSN and Addison are the two cant miss WR prospects in that they show low bust potential and should contribute early ....QJ has all the measurables and highest ceiling but has the most bust potential. QJ will get drafted ahead of both Addison and JSN in my opinion, its just a matter of will he reach his potential or go down the Kevin White route to irrelevance.

Some of the red flags for QJ are total production, amount of body catches vs hands catches, and heel striking which can lead to long term foot issues. I want to make him my WR1 in rookie drafts but have not been able to bring myself to. I'll be drafting JSN and Addison ahead of him most likely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why can't we?

we can. I think JD understands this.

this board just has too many people that are over-reactionary and cap space and draft capital "champions"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why can't we?

Hmmm - these teams seem to have something in common but I can't quite put my finger on it ...

5 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Brandin Cooks is available...  '23 $18 mil cap hit is undesirable but draft comp should be minimal in comparison

Seems like Brandin Cooks is available every offseason.  If he's moved again this time around his next team will be his 5th in an 8-year period.  I don't get it.

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

For the cap nazis: Cap numbers for the next 2 years if traded (prorated bonus goes to cards)

2023: 19,450,000

2024: 14,915,000

Cutting Davis & Berrios would save over 15mm in 2023 cap.

He is 30 years old which tends to be sort of a cliff for WR's. Even so, this is a clear upgrade over Davis. I wonder what kind of value he'll pull in trade.

The thing is, if I am cutting Davis and Berrios to clear cap, YES, I need to make sure I replace those guys but I am NOT clearing cap for Hopkins. I am clearing cap for a QB, to re-sign my own FAs or bring in FA O-linemen to shore up our line. I'm looking at Wilson and Moore as the core pieces at WR. Mims is still under contract. I look at the draft for a WR  and I sign a mid level FA to complement Wilson/Moore (slot). 

The cap I free up goes to signing a proven vet QB and patching up the O-line and I am hoping, nay assuming, Moore and Mims become more productive players with a quality QB and improved O-line. 

5 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I'd say JSN and Addison are the two cant miss WR prospects in that they show low bust potential and should contribute early ....QJ has all the measurables and highest ceiling but has the most bust potential. QJ will get drafted ahead of both Addison and JSN in my opinion, its just a matter of will he reach his potential or go down the Kevin White route to irrelevance.

Some of the red flags for QJ are total production, amount of body catches vs hands catches, and heel striking which can lead to long term foot issues. I want to make him my WR1 in rookie drafts but have not been able to bring myself to. I'll be drafting JSN and Addison ahead of him most likely.

After DK Metcalf I don’t think anyone pays too much attention to college production anymore at the WR position