DeAndre Hopkins

42 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hard pass

Expensive, over the hill and physically breaking down 

Save the money for Derek Carr

GW is your chain mover 

What the Jets really need is a lid-lifting deep threat to open up the running game

Hopkins can still play but the injuries and wear and tear have caught up to him. Plus we need to save cap room for a qb

The top 2 WRs in the draft Johnston and Addison are as can’t miss as it gets I’d rather just draft one of them

Hopkins is light years better than Corey Davis and has always produced whether the qb is DeSean, Davis Mills, Murray, or Colt Mccoy. 

Faaak yeah I'd bring him in. 

Aaron Rodgers, Garret Wilson, Hopkins, Breece, and we are instant SB contenders. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, August said:

We’re not a Hopkins away from being a contender. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

No one is saying he is by himself.

1 hour ago, August said:

I never said anyone said that 

lol what is this?

1 hour ago, August said:

It means we should focus on building with young players. 

We already have quite a few  young, talented players, and will continue to add more.  Are we never supposed to add quality veteran players?  I don't get it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol what is this?

We already have quite a few  young, talented players, and will continue to add more.  Are we never supposed to add quality veteran players?  I don't get it.

Receiver is not a problem for this team. A QB to get them the ball is a greater need. 

7 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s quite easy. Hopkins is expensive, injury prone, we need the cap space to sign a QB, and Quentin Johnston will be available when we pick

@Barry McCockinner laid out in the OP from the jump why Hopkins' cap # wouldn't be prohibitive of, well, anything the team wants to do.  

What is happening in this thread?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Barry laid out in the OP why Hopkins' cap # wouldn't be prohibitive of, well, anything the team wants to do.  

What is happening in this thread?

We have about $12-15 mil in cap room depending on the cap increase.  Carr or Brady will want in the neighborhood of $20-25 million per year 

We can’t afford Hopkins right now with zero viable QBs on the roster.  You guys are laughably delusional if you think adding Hopkins fixes Zach.  We could have prime Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice here and Zach would still suck

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Aaaand......what's stopping us from getting Hopkins AND re-shaping the QB room?  Are you operating under the belief that the offseason ends once Hopkins is acquired?

Receiver is not a need it would be a luxury at this point. If we were a contender that would be one thing. Our biggest need is QB. 

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We have about $12-15 mil in cap room depending on the cap increase.  Carr or Brady will want in the neighborhood of $20-25 million per year 

We can’t afford Hopkins right now with zero viable QBs on the roster.  You guys are laughably delusional if you think adding Hopkins fixes Zach.  We could have prime Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice here and Zach would still suck

Cap is a lot less rigid than it seems

• Upvote 1

Those saying we don't need any more WRs:  Uh, yeah we do.

Moore is going to operate almost entirely in the slot.  Corey Davis and Berrios are strong candidates to be let go.  We need another receiver on the outside. 

No, we don't need a high-end, pricey guy across from Garrett Wilson.  But it sure would be fun, no?  Why bring in some mid-tier guy who is barely better than Corey Davis if Hopkins is there for the taking?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Dude, the cap is barely even real.  Teams pay QBs and WRs big money all the time and still have money left over to make other improvements. 

And Douglas, for all his faults, has been very good at signing players onto team-friendly deals that are easy to get out of or restructure.  Lots of cap room can be freed up through a bit of creativity.

Come on with this.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, August said:

Receiver is not a need it would be a luxury at this point. If we were a contender that would be one thing. Our biggest need is QB. 

We desperately need a possession receiver/RZ weapon. Could be a TE or a WR. But he is not currently on the roster.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you can't find an elite QB, the next best thing might be to load up on elite receiving talent and pair them with a decent QB, no?

I think we have very good WR talent at the moment. Relatively cheap also. We could cut Davis to save 10 I think. So Hopkins at 10 more would be a huge upgrade. I looked recently and we're 15 million under next year. I just don't know where the money is for a veteran QB also, when Q Williams should get the biggest deal in Jets history.

That said I don't understand the cap BS at all. After last year and Saints being like 60 million over and somehow adding more people it all seems made up

• Upvote 1