RIP Jeff Beck

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Beck is the more technical player by far. He's a player's player.  Gilmore reached a lot more people. From the rock/pop genre, consider Bob Mould.  He played a lot of amazingly creative guitar, but few know his name.  Gilmore's non innovative, non technical work had the bigger impact.  Same broad appeal with another player that I consider to be similar to Gilmore.  AC/DC guitarist Angus Young.  All taste and feel.  Not innovative, but so many ears happily consumed his vibrato flavored blues. 

It's a fair debate as far as where the bigger value lies. 

I play bass and I would much rather listen to John Paul Jones, John Deacon or Andy Fraser over Less Claypool. 

So I majored in Bass in college. Played in orchestra BUT play jazz and rock a Fender Precision .  Agreed, never been drawn to the love for Claypool.  

Loved him. His Yardbird period, for me, was my favorite and my influence to start playing. 45 years later I'm still out in the bars gigging.

When the Yardbirds were recording Heart Full Of Soul, they brought in a sitar player to play that famous intro and outro but it sounded terrible. Jeff picked up his Fender Esquire and said "Roll the tape" and played the riff that we know today. After he finished he said,"There's your sitar !" RIP Jeff.

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

It's hard to miss.  Others that you'll be sure to hear stand out in a cameo on a few well known pop/rock songs.   David Gilmour on McCartney's No More Lonely Nights, Eddy VanHalen on Michael Jackson's Beat It and Boz Scaggs on Steve Miller's Abra Cadabra.  All three styles are unmistakable.  Many others, but too tired to list them now.  Beck is inventive, but a lot of his stuff can be hard on the ear.  I feel the same way about Hendrix.  Brilliant, but sometimes harsh on my ears. 

Really hated EVH's Beat It. He didn't come to that song at all, just did his usual thing. Prefer Slash on Jackson's Give In To Me. He gave that song another level.

I remember seeing Beck back in the 70's -- yeah, I'm old -- as he was one of my favorites back then. Interesting thing with Jeff Beck is that he claimed he had a weak left hand. He compensated by developing a unique kind of finger-picking style with his right -- he said he felt using a pick was wasting four fingers. Sort of like Hendrix dropping that right thumb on the low E to free a finger for different chord structures and fills. Billy Gibbon remembered that Hendrix  was listening to Beck's Truth album in the back room on tour and commented, "How does he do that?" LOL. 

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Really hated EVH's Beat It. He didn't come to that song at all, just did his usual thing. Prefer Slash on Jackson's Give In To Me. He gave that song another level.

I remember seeing Beck back in the 70's -- yeah, I'm old -- as he was one of my favorites back then. Interesting thing with Jeff Beck is that he claimed he had a weak left hand. He compensated by developing a unique kind of finger-picking style with his right -- he said he felt using a pick was wasting four fingers. Sort of like Hendrix dropping that right thumb on the low E to free a finger for different chord structures and fills. Billy Gibbon remembered that Hendrix  was listening to Beck's Truth album in the back room on tour and commented, "How does he do that?" LOL. 

Yes, yes and more yes :-)  Agree fully with the EVH solo on Beat It.  It came out of a pull top can.  "EVH solo, open and pour" 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So I majored in Bass in college. Played in orchestra BUT play jazz and rock a Fender Precision .  Agreed, never been drawn to the love for Claypool.  

I dig fully.  Love the P Bass myself.  Actually, PJ is my fav. I have an American active deluxe pj that I like a whole lot.  I have had over a dozen basses but *MY* holy grail bass is a 72 p-bass body that I routered out to take a j-bass bridge pick up to go along with the split coil neck pick-up.  It has a set of EMG PJ pickups and a Warmouth jazz bass neck.  I suppose, thought for playability the key is in the set-up.  For sound, of course, it is the player.  I love the youtube videos of skilled players doing their thing with a $100 Amazon Bass.  That pretty much sums it up regarding the gear you use :-) 

43 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Respect the extraordinary talent, but the music never did anything for me. Blow by Blow was a fun record but outside of that, meh. 

Agree fully.  He's very skilled and innovative but the recorded stuff is not very agreeable to most ears.  Gilmore was mentioned earlier in this thread.  Not nearly as technical or innovative as JB, but his recorded work is wonderfully consumable by most every ear.  Give a straw poll about the best guitar soloes in rock/pop.  You'll see Gilmore, but you wont see JB. 

JB was really a player's guitarist but not a crowd pleaser. 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  He's very skilled and innovative but the recorded stuff is not very agreeable to most ears.  Gilmore was mentioned earlier in this thread.  Not nearly as technical or innovative as JB, but his recorded work is wonderfully consumable by most every ear.  Give a straw poll about the best guitar soloes in rock/pop.  You'll see Gilmore, but yo wont see JB. 

Gilmour has a wonderful ear for melody. Just some beautiful solos. Agree about Jeff Beck. He was influential (daresay Jimmy Page directly stole from him in some early Led Zeppelin numbers) and a dazzling technician. Not much he couldn't do.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Gilmour has a wonderful ear for melody. Just some beautiful solos. Agree about Jeff Beck. He was influential (daresay Jimmy Page directly stole from him in some early Led Zeppelin numbers) and a dazzling technician. Not much he couldn't do.

Yes on Page.  He borrowed a bit.  Still was amazingly creative and great to listen to.  Always slick.  You cant say that Page played the same solo or same riff over multiple albums.  Great combo of creativity combined with taste and understanding of what will hook the listener.  Though, I think a lot more of Page in the studio than on stage.  :-) 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I dig fully.  Love the P Bass myself.  Actually, PJ is my fav. I have an American active deluxe pj that I like a whole lot.  I have had over a dozen basses but *MY* holy grail bass is a 72 p-bass body that I routered out to take a j-bass bridge pick up to go along with the split coil neck pick-up.  It has a set of EMG PJ pickups and a Warmouth jazz bass neck.  I suppose, thought for playability the key is in the set-up.  For sound, of course, it is the player.  I love the youtube videos of skilled players doing their thing with a $100 Amazon Bass.  That pretty much sums it up regarding the gear you use :-) 

I no longer own an electric bass.  I play my Taylor acoustic 810 and I play piano.  I am always asked to play again, play out etc. But at my age, my weekends are valuable and playing in bars etc... is not for me. However, I am thinking about buying an electric bass again for my music room.

Here's a link to me in NO. Bass player Guilted me on stage.  I hadn't played an upright bass in 25 years. Im wearing a Jets shirt to boot!

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I no longer own an electric bass.  I play my Taylor acoustic 810 and I play piano.  I am always asked to play again, play out etc. But at my age, my weekends are valuable and playing in bars etc... is not for me. However, I am thinking about buying an electric bass again for my music room.

Here's a link to me in NO. Bass player Guilted me on stage.  I hadn't played an upright bass in 25 years. Im wearing a Jets shirt to boot!

Very kewl :-)  I never played a string bass in my life.  It would be fun to have one to noodle around with, but I would not use it often enough to go out and buy one.  

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  He's very skilled and innovative but the recorded stuff is not very agreeable to most ears.  Gilmore was mentioned earlier in this thread.  Not nearly as technical or innovative as JB, but his recorded work is wonderfully consumable by most every ear.  Give a straw poll about the best guitar soloes in rock/pop.  You'll see Gilmore, but you wont see JB. 

I can listen to Wayne Krantz, Robert Fripp, Sonny Sharrock and Nels Kline (I have worked on numerous of his instruments) all day, but theres something about Beck’s playing that never caught my ear. Especially later on when he simply wouldn’t let go of the trem arm. It became too G3 for my taste. Still, awesome player. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It's tough to say who stole from who.  "Beck's Bolero" was supposedly written by Jimmy Page.

Another interesting tidbit. Stevie Wonder gifted a song to Jeff Beck for his help on an album. Beck formed the band Beck Bogert Appice and recorded that song. Wonder decided however  to record the song and released it before Beck released his album.

The song: Superstition 

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's tough to say who stole from who.  "Beck's Bolero" was supposedly written by Jimmy Page.

Beck actually asked Page to write the first draft of Bolero for him, as they were working together at the time. On the other hand, "You Shook Me" was recorded by Beck first, then by Zeppelin a short time later. Page stated that he never knew Beck recorded it and chalked it up to them having the same musical taste. But the version are indeed quite different. Zeppelin mostly cribbed, when they did, from older blues artists like Willie Dixon. Of course all the bands in that era happily "borrowed" or stole from earlier blues legends -- the Stones practically lived in the Mississippi Delta for all they reworked out of that region. 

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Beck actually asked Page to write the first draft of Bolero for him, as they were working together at the time. On the other hand, "You Shook Me" was recorded by Beck first, then by Zeppelin a short time later. Page stated that he never knew Beck recorded it and chalked it up to them having the same musical taste. But the version are indeed quite different. Zeppelin mostly cribbed, when they did, from older blues artists like Willie Dixon. Of course all the bands in that era happily "borrowed" or stole from earlier blues legends -- the Stones practically lived in the Mississippi Delta for all they reworked out of that region. 

I do think Page took the intro to Stairway from Spirit but he (and Zep as a whole) added so much to it (including the best parts) that it's their song.   I think that's generally true of Zeppelin.