RIP Jeff Beck

30 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

When I was playing out at this bar in Lake Worth there was a fake Jeff Beck who came up and jammed with me-he had the whole area fooled about who he was. It even made the Palm Beach Post

Is there any audio of your band that you'd be willing to share?  (Not necessarily of that show but of any show of yours).

6 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

WHAT?!?!!?   I hope that's true.  If I get another chance to see him, I'm not going to miss it.

EDIT: BBC is reporting that he did, unfortunately, die.  :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64228780

Jeff Beck: British guitar legend dies aged 78

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Little known fact about Jeff Beck is that he played on Bon Jovi's "Blaze Of Glory".

It's hard to miss.  Others that you'll be sure to hear stand out in a cameo on a few well known pop/rock songs.   David Gilmour on McCartney's No More Lonely Nights, Eddy VanHalen on Michael Jackson's Beat It and Boz Scaggs on Steve Miller's Abra Cadabra.  All three styles are unmistakable.  Many others, but too tired to list them now.  Beck is inventive, but a lot of his stuff can be hard on the ear.  I feel the same way about Hendrix.  Brilliant, but sometimes harsh on my ears. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have lost many great musicians  but Jeff Beck was truly a special one. The things he did on guitar were truly ground breaking and this wasn't  just a guy that came on the scene and played, he constantly reinvented himself from Freeway Jam, to We Ended As Lovers, to Led Boots to Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. After he recorded Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, Mingus wrote Beck a letter thanking him for doing it. The guy who is a Jazz Legend thanked Beck for recording his song. The best thing that ever happened to a Stratocaster was Jeff Beck. We really lost a great force in music. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Gilmore is a very solid blues based guitarist but I am sorry, he is not in Jeff Beck's league. As a matter of fact, I think when Gilmore was asked about Beck, he said, there is Jeff, and then there is the rest of us. 

Beck is the more technical player by far. He's a player's player.  Gilmore reached a lot more people. From the rock/pop genre, consider Bob Mould.  He played a lot of amazingly creative guitar, but few know his name.  Gilmore's non innovative, non technical work had the bigger impact.  Same broad appeal with another player that I consider to be similar to Gilmore.  AC/DC guitarist Angus Young.  All taste and feel.  Not innovative, but so many ears happily consumed his vibrato flavored blues. 

It's a fair debate as far as where the bigger value lies. 

I play bass and I would much rather listen to John Paul Jones, John Deacon or Andy Fraser over Less Claypool.