Peter King said what about Aaron Rodgers...

53 minutes ago, varjet said:

Oh brother.  As is the Jets would owe Rodgers $110mm if he played 23-24 and $58mm if he played 1 and retired  They can spread that over 2 or 3 years, maybe 4. 

No matter what happens with Rodgers his $110 million would be split over 4 years. Only way it wouldn't is if he were to retire, in which case we would be able to recover a large portion of the money/cap hits in years 2-4

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rodgers was 35/59 for 218 1/1 when they traded Favre.  

Or are you saying that they must know about Jordan Love already? 

And the packers were 6-10 in Rodgers first season but won it all in his third season.  Love has been around long enough for the packers to know something about love. He’s only been in a few games and mostly in relief. Not bad number but also not many.  And maybe lafleur is looking put his stamp on things and Rodgers kind of stands in the way.

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Is it possible for the Jets and Packers to agree to a trade today - let's say 13th overall is involved - and the Jets essentially draft the player Green Bay tells them to draft.  Then on June 1st they ship him and whatever else to Green Bay?  I'm just trying to think of ways we can still get ****ed even if doesn't get traded until after the draft.....this gets my hopes up that we'll actually keep the pick but if something like this is possible, that would really suck.  

why would the Jets ever agree to this?

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Cap hit on the Jets would be an issue I believe. Just easier and less expensive to trade the pick than have draft pick sign contract and then trade 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:
  4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Is it possible for the Jets and Packers to agree to a trade today - let's say 13th overall is involved - and the Jets essentially draft the player Green Bay tells them to draft.  Then on June 1st they ship him and whatever else to Green Bay?  I'm just trying to think of ways we can still get ****ed even if doesn't get traded until after the draft.....this gets my hopes up that we'll actually keep the pick but if something like this is possible, that would really suck.  

5 hours ago, football guy said:

No matter what happens with Rodgers his $110 million would be split over 4 years. Only way it wouldn't is if he were to retire, in which case we would be able to recover a large portion of the money/cap hits in years 2-4

Thanks.  

Doesn't he have a large salary that would have to be paid if he played years 4 and/or 5, on top of the amortization of the option payments.

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $30,415,000 $67,647,138 $10,000,000 $250,000 $105,300,000   $60,615,000   $213,612,138    
2022 39 $1,150,000 $27,333,568 $0 $50,000 $0   $1,150,000   $28,533,568 13.2%      
2023 40 $1,165,000 $15,833,570 $0 $50,000 $14,575,000   $59,465,000   $31,623,570 13.9%  
$99,778,570
($68,155,000)
2024 ? 41 $2,250,000 $8,160,000 $0 $50,000 $30,241,666   $0   $40,701,666 15.9%  
$24,480,000
$16,221,666
2025 ? 42 $15,850,000 $8,160,000 $5,000,000 $50,000 $30,241,666   $0   $59,301,666 21.0%  
$16,320,000
$42,981,666
2026 ? 43 $10,000,000 $8,160,000 $5,000,000 $50,000 $30,241,668   $0   $53,451,668 17.4%  
$8,160,000
$45,291,668

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why would we agree to trade the 13th in any capacity?  Apparently it's a possibility though, as I've been told "pretend this pick doesn't exist".  I've also been told we can't make this trade until June.  I'm just questioning if that's even a possible route they could take, not whether or not we should(we shouldn't....nor should we trade the pick, period)

18 hours ago, football guy said:

This is just conjecture. The speculation is that the Packers would wait until June 1 in order to maximize their cap savings/minimize their dead cap hit. Two things: 

1. If Rodgers were moved June 1, it would absolutely be "agreed upon" beforehand. The primary difference would be that the Packers would likely have to accept compensation in the 2024-25 drafts instead, but that may be deemed advantageous to them as this draft isn't necessarily flush with talent. 
  2. Rodgers has already indicated that he would likely need to restructure his contract and would be open to doing so. This kind of restructure is extremely uncommon, but a scenario does exist where Rodgers can "refund" a portion of his signing bonus which would be credited against the Packers cap. From there, a trade would occur and the acquiring team would restructure his contract to "repay" that refund. It's unprecedented, but the "Barry Sanders rule" kind of provides a framework for how it can work. 

If the Packers value picks in this year's draft, I think they would just bite the bullet and trade ASAP. 

I thought all along this trade would go down in June due to the contract structure, but if they can restructure the deal as you say, there is a line of thinking that makes them want to do it now regardless of how flush the talent pool is. There are 2 things they need to consider, the first is if the Jets finish exactly the same next season as this season and end up with a #13 pick in 2024, teams generally value a pick 1 year in the future as a rd later. So dealing now for a 2024 rd1 #13 is valued as a rd2 #13. The second thing is if they believe as most do that Rodgers will propel the Jets next season in which case that pick could be a late 20's pick or later. In that case, they are looking at getting their hands on a 2023 rd1 #13 or a pick next year that values at a rd2 24-32. Also, if the trade is for 2 years of draft picks, that '25 rd1 would fall back 2 rounds. 

They may just go for it and get the deal done to get that 2023 pick.

I thought all along this trade would go down in June due to the contract structure, but if they can restructure the deal as you say, there is a line of thinking that makes them want to do it now regardless of how flush the talent pool is. There are 2 things they need to consider, the first is if the Jets finish exactly the same next season as this season and end up with a #13 pick in 2024, teams generally value a pick 1 year in the future as a rd later. So dealing now for a 2024 rd1 #13 is valued as a rd2 #13. The second thing is if they believe as most do that Rodgers will propel the Jets next season in which case that pick could be a late 20's pick or later. In that case, they are looking at getting their hands on a 2023 rd1 #13 or a pick next year that values at a rd2 24-32. Also, if the trade is for 2 years of draft picks, that '25 rd1 would fall back 2 rounds. 
They may just go for it and get the deal done to get that 2023 pick.
Don't need to over complicate things .. look what we gave up for Favre and work your way up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

No these are terrible numbers from a young mismanaged QB

your point?

Yea it's never Zachie's fault with you guys is it? LeFleur was the one who caused him to throw for 44 yards against the Patriots with the playoffs on the line. Hopefully he has a re-birth on an NFC team like Geno Smith has had-8 years later. Even Geno showed some signs of potential in his first 22 games. All Wilson has shown us is that he's right up there among the list of the biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Don't need to over complicate things .. look what we gave up for Favre and work your way up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Again you got a great deal on Favre because it was the Eve of training camp and GB wanted this PR nightmare out of town ASAP.   Also there were no other suitors.    Given how Favre played two years later with the Vikings a first rounder would have been nothing to give up in hindsight