Shane Steichen Hired As Indianapolis Colts Head Coach

jetsons

Colts hire Eagles' Shane Steichen as head coach after Super Bowl (nypost.com)

Colts hire Shane Steichen as head coach after Eagles’ Super Bowl run

February 14, 2023 9:31am 

Subtitles E
Mike Francesa crushes NFover Super B
nj2lugv73xchfgew2kw7nlwid0cesojk.jpg
colts-hire-eagles-shane-steichen-as-head-coach-after-super-bowlPelissero: Colts view Eagles OC Shane Steichen as a strong candidate for their head coaching vacancy
NFL |

0:39
fjjpp7qghmt3cmyuvjoy6k9gitwcust5.jpg
colts-hire-eagles-shane-steichen-as-head-coach-after-super-bowlColts Hire Eagles OC Shane Steichen as New Head Coach

The Colts are following a similar playbook to their previous head coaching hire.

Indianapolis announced on Tuesday that they have hired Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen to be their head coach. Steichen was the mind behind an Eagles offense that made a significant jump this year with Jalen Hurts, ending in a 38-35 Super Bowl loss to the Chiefs on Sunday.

It comes five years after the Colts hired Frank Reich as head coach after he helped the Eagles win a Super Bowl as offensive coordinator.

Reich was fired midseason as the Colts went a disappointing 4-12-1. He was bizarrely replaced by Jeff Saturday, who had no previous coaching experience on the college or NFL level.

Now, the 37-year-old Steichen takes over a franchise that is in search of a quarterback after a failed year with veteran Matt Ryan.

The Colts have hired Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen as their new head coach. The Colts have hired Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen as their new head coach. Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Good move.  Sitting at #4, they have to be a little nervous if a QB will fall to them or if they will need to trade up.  Chicago is sitting pretty to trade back to 4, 5, or 6 and get a haul.  Arizona at #3 could also be in a good trade back spot, unless they are done with Murray and want to take a QB of their own

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if a team like the Colts instead of drafting a QB thought about making a deal with the Jets for Zach. The Colts new HC has successfully worked with QBs and might feel they could turn him around and instead of going with a new guy day 1 and suffering through a learning curve of a season or more and go with a young player with 22 starts. You’d think the Jets who have committed to signing a veteran would like to trade Zach despite what they’re saying they’ve kind of given up on him. Plus they save money and get back compensation. 

• WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a team like the Colts instead of drafting a QB thought about making a deal with the Jets for Zach. The Colts new HC has successfully worked with QBs and might feel they could turn him around and instead of going with a new guy day 1 and suffering through a learning curve of a season or more and go with a young player with 22 starts. You’d think the Jets who have committed to signing a veteran would like to trade Zach despite what they’re saying they’ve kind of given up on him. Plus they save money and get back compensation. 

Sam Darnold was seeing ghosts. Zach Wilson IS a ghost. And your idea doesn't have a ghost of a chance. :)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Bored Over It GIF

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Sam Darnold was seeing ghosts. Zach Wilson IS a ghost. And your idea doesn't have a ghost of a chance. :)

Many Jets fans went a 180 on Zach this year they mostly didn’t feel this way after last year. I’m surprised at the ferocity of fans against him. I watched the same games this year and don’t believe he’s washed with no hope. Look he shouldn’t have started from day one even though Saleh claims he won the job in training camp as a rookie. I don’t believe it and I was at the Patriots opening home game his first season and he wasn’t ready to start. He sat out the first 3 games in 2022 with injury and then played well enough to manage 5 Ws until he had two terrible games. He also came close to leading the team to a comeback vs Detroit. Maybe another CS would have more success with Zach. I don’t think he’s done and he has the two key intangibles of a franchise QB: a big arm and mobility. 

56 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Many Jets fans went a 180 on Zach this year they mostly didn’t feel this way after last year. I’m surprised at the ferocity of fans against him. I watched the same games this year and don’t believe he’s washed with no hope. Look he shouldn’t have started from day one even though Saleh claims he won the job in training camp as a rookie. I don’t believe it and I was at the Patriots opening home game his first season and he wasn’t ready to start. He sat out the first 3 games in 2022 with injury and then played well enough to manage 5 Ws until he had two terrible games. He also came close to leading the team to a comeback vs Detroit. Maybe another CS would have more success with Zach. I don’t think he’s done and he has the two key intangibles of a franchise QB: a big arm and mobility. 

I admit I had high hopes for ZW. Not sure whether it was his lack of something or unwillingness to whatever, but after two seasons of opportunity being given to him because of his draft status, at this point, he needs to EARN every snap. In practice, then in a game. EARN IT.

I would at this point rather have Carr or Tannehill. Better to give up near nothing instead of weakening the team in terms of cap and draft resources to get downside Rogers for one maybe two years - the team is decent QB play from a playoff berth, but further than that from a Super Bowl run. Rogers won't be around for that by the time the rest of the team is there.