Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i don't follow.

the premise is that GB will get so tired of this endless haggling with the jets that they screw it, we will trade him elsewhere for LESS than the jets are offering?

are you saying a professional GM would willingly accept LESS in a trade just to spite another team?

Spite is the reason GB wants fair value for him.   Assuming GB wants fair value for him they will run the clock down knowing full well the Jets want him working with their offense starting in OTA's.   They are gambling on the high probability the jets will cave.   On the low probability the Jets bail the fall back would be trade him to whoever will take him.   The gamble is worth it if they think the Jets will cave.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

You're knowledge level of how the Packers feel about Love is extremely low...

oh, perhaps. 

But my argument isn't based on knowledge, it's based on reasoning. 

I think it's a dumb idea to pick up a 5th year option on a guy before he proves he can play well as your starter. I said the same thing when the Panthers picked up Darnold's 5th year option. 

• Upvote 2

Of course...   But whatever the Jets are offering this year isn't good enough for the Packers....  You telling the packers they should just "shut up and take ur sucky offer" is no different than the Packers saying "pay two firsts you need him"...

barring some team's starting QB getting seriously hurt and expected to miss the season, do you think it's reasonable to expect at this juncture that (i) any team will offer more than whatever the jets are offering and (ii) aaron rodgers will agree to go to that team?

it's not like rodgers and the packers agreeing to move on just happened today.  this has been in play for months.  why do you think there is another team out there that will give more than the jets are offering and have rodgers accept the trade.  GB's had plenty of time to solicit interest from other teams.

you can throw out your hypotheticals (and yes, rodgers on SF would make them serious SB contenders).  but SF has given no indication it's interested in rodgers, rodgers has given no indication he's interested in SF, and SF is already bereft of draft picks (their earliest picks are at the end of the 3rd round, so i don't see how they will be able to top any jets offer currently on the table)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

here's a reality the Packers have not picked up Jordan Love's 5th year option yet 

it costs 20 mil 

Getting to the initial points from the prior page, I think both posters are correct:

• For the Packers, their CAP COST to either keep or trade Rodgers in 2023 is about the same.
    • If they keep him, his cap hit his is amortized bonus from 2022, plus the amortized option bonus from 2023 (the $16mm that would hit the Jets if they paid it), plus his small salary.
    • If GB trades Rodgers, the DON'T have to pay his option bonus and take that hit, but they do accelerate his bonus from last year.
  • Yes, Jordan Love's 5th year option was not exercised.   That is for 2024.   There is no way that GB can carry that $20mm, plus Rodgers cap cost for 2024 if he is on the Packers.  That cap cost is basically amortizations of the 2022, 2023 and 2024 bonuses-yes I believe the Packers would be stuck with Rodgers for another 2 years-2023 and 2024.  
  • Yes, I think GB outsmarted themselves.  Rodgers still had life in him.  Either you let him walk with dignity early, and ride him until he drops.  The sign and trade thing made no sense.  
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Bingo. 

These GB folks make less and less sense by the day. 

"We aren't getting exactly what we want so let's take even LESS than that!!!! F Aaron and the Jets!!!"

Ur not exactly on the information super highway today

10 minutes ago, ptisme said:

As far as the public knows yes.  But the teams being mentioned that could be in play aren't positioned to draft a top quarterback...   For instance, what good would a rookie qb do for the Niners.  They are ready to win now.   Why would they fvck around with a rookie?   Rodgers would make them instant SB favorites.

You keep bringing up the niners like bringing in Rodgers won’t effect their ability to sign current stars and totally wipe out future cap space when he retires.

This is wishful thinking from packers fans 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Gb would look foolish waiting to trade him until after the draft and then getting 2024 and 2025 compensation.  They’re just waiting until the last possible moment to see if the jets panic and offer up that 13th pick in the deal to get it done now. 

TBH the way this draft looks I'd rather have the two seconds than the 13th if I were the Jets or Packers.

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

He only has leverage as long as the Jets are in play.  If they move on he goes where GB sends him...  Or he retires...  Either way he's off our books.

you do realize that the team acquiring rodgers will then owe rodgers $59.5 million for the 2023 season.  why do you think GB can just trade him wherever they please if the jets deal falls apart.  

and what if rodgers says - F U - i'm not retiring.  now give me my $58.3 million bonus payment

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Ur not exactly on the information super highway today

Why is that? My playful quote ("We aren't getting exactly what we want so let's take even LESS than that!!!! F Aaron and the Jets!!!") is exactly what you are arguing, in simple terms. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Why is that? My playful quote ("We aren't getting exactly what we want so let's take even LESS than that!!!! F Aaron and the Jets!!!") is exactly what you are arguing, in simple terms. 

It really is I don’t know what this guy is on 

GIF by Giphy QA

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

you do realize that the team acquiring rodgers will then owe rodgers $59.5 million for the 2023 season.  why do you think GB can just trade him wherever they please if the jets deal falls apart.  

and what if rodgers says - F U - i'm not retiring.  now give me my $58.3 million bonus payment

Indeed.

All this back and forth and I have yet to hear a decent answer for either of these two questions. 

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If the 49ers wanted Rodgers, they would have reached out weeks ago. The Jets requested permission to speak to Aaron Rodgers well over a month ago. Since then, SF went out and signed Sam Darnold. LOL. SF isn't involved in anything no matter how badly you want them to be. 

And, by the way, even if they were in on him and Rodgers wanted to go there (there is no evidence of either of these things being true), why would the Packers want to trade Aaron Rodgers to an NFC rival that has eliminated them from the playoffs in two of the last four seasons? Also, because the 49ers aren't a viable trade partner until after the draft, we are starting with 2024 assets. Which team is likely to have a better 2024 pick - the Jets or 49ers? 

The SF thing makes no sense. 

I love how I gave you a "for instance/Example" of say the 49ers to make a point and you argue full on why it won't be the niners...   I was just using them as an example.   Could be any team with talent around them.  And BTW I have nothing that says the niners would do this other than the report by ur guy in new york that may/may not be true and the fact that the niners were willing to give the shirt off their back for rodgers last year.

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Spite is the reason GB wants fair value for him.   Assuming GB wants fair value for him they will run the clock down knowing full well the Jets want him working with their offense starting in OTA's.   They are gambling on the high probability the jets will cave.   On the low probability the Jets bail the fall back would be trade him to whoever will take him.   The gamble is worth it if they think the Jets will cave.

no, the fall back is no one else is willing to acquire rodgers and his $58.3 million option bonus and rodgers refuses to retire, and now the packers owe him an additional $58.3 million bonus plus his $1.165 million base salary in 2023, all the while creating a circus at camp with rodgers sitting on the bench as they try to break love in as their QB of the future.

as putrid as they may be, the jets will have more other options at QB than the packers will have in terms of getting out of that contract if the trade falls apart.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, ptisme said:

They probably will… But it won’t be until after the 2023 draft. This gives Douglas a lot more breathing room when surrounding Rogers with talent.

Just now, ptisme said:

I love how I gave you a "for instance/Example" of say the 49ers to make a point and you argue full on why it won't be the niners...   I was just using them as an example.   Could be any team with talent around them.  And BTW I have nothing that says the niners would do this other than the report by ur guy in new york that may/may not be true and the fact that the niners were willing to give the shirt off their back for rodgers last year.

We'll, I'm sorry that I sh*t on your unrealistic example. I just assumed the team used as an example had to be realistic. Otherwise, why not just suggest the Buffalo Sabres? 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You keep bringing up the niners like bringing in Rodgers won’t effect their ability to sign current stars and totally wipe out future cap space when he retires.

This is wishful thinking from packers fans 

My wishful thinking is the jets pay two seconds and we move on to football.  

16 minutes ago, ptisme said:

He only has leverage as long as the Jets are in play.  If they move on he goes where GB sends him...  Or he retires...  Either way he's off our books.

Bro.. just so wrong. Rodgers essentially has a no trade clause. He doesn't just "Go where GB sends him" because no other team will make a trade for Rodgers if he says he doesn't want to play for them. They're not giving up assets for a guy who won't play for them. 

And if he does agree to play for another team, the Packers will be doing the same song and dance over trade capital with that team. 

Packers - we want fair value for a 40 yo QB who is a 1st ballot HOF. 

Team 2 - well that's great, but he might only be a 1 year rental, we're not paying a premium for that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

My wishful thinking is the jets pay two seconds and we move on to football.  

Bro Wtf is up with packer fans??? ???

Top comment: “I hope to God this is how the packers view it. Give us the first or you're not getting him. Pay him his money and let him retire. **** the jets” 

You guys a real petty bunch, I understand your madness now  ?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

OK lets game play this out beyond surface thoughts.   Lets say it's Aug 1st and the jets inform the Packers they are moving on to plan B and are no longer interested in the Packers QB.   The Packers shop him around and some team (Bucs? Commanders? Titans? Niners?  Patriots? Dolphins? Colts? Falcons?) decides they want to take a go at Rodgers.   Rodgers now has three choices: 1. Retire (he doesn't want to do that). 2. sit on the bench for the Packers (he REALLY doesn't want to do that). 3. Start for some other team with decent talent and collect that 60 mil.   What do you think he'll choose?  As far as trade value at that point you're probably looking at the Favre deal that late in the game.

4 minutes ago, ptisme said:

OK lets game play this out beyond surface thoughts.   Lets say it's Aug 1st and the jets inform the Packers they are moving on to plan B and are no longer interested in the Packers.   The Packers shop him around and some team (Bucs? Commanders? Titans? Niners?  Patriots? Dolphins? Colts? Falcons?) decides they want to take a go at Rodgers.   Rodgers now has three choices: 1. Retire (he doesn't want to do that). 2. sit on the bench for the Packers (he REALLY doesn't want to do that). 3. Start for some other team with decent talent and collect that 60 mil.   What do you think he'll choose?

He would retire in a second and not even give any thought into the other ideas. 

OK lets game play this out beyond surface thoughts.   Lets say it's Aug 1st and the jets inform the Packers they are moving on to plan B and are no longer interested in the Packers.   The Packers shop him around and some team (Bucs? Commanders? Titans? Niners?  Patriots? Dolphins? Colts? Falcons?) decides they want to take a go at Rodgers.   Rodgers now has three choices: 1. Retire (he doesn't want to do that). 2. sit on the bench for the Packers (he REALLY doesn't want to do that). 3. Start for some other team with decent talent and collect that 60 mil.   What do you think he'll choose?

sure, we can play the hypothetical game

but why do you think some team will just appear out of thin air, and after thinking it over for months and months, say, sure, let's go get rodgers and pay him $59 million for 2023, while also offering to give the packers more than whatever the best offer from the jets was.

here's another hypothetical for your packers' faithful - draft day comes and the titans move up to the #3 spot and grab whatever QB they are targeting.  now they look to dump tannehill.  the jets, tired of the packers shenanigans say, we get that tannehill isn't rodgers, but he's taken teams constructed similar to our team to the playoffs.  let's throw tenn a 5th and take on his $27 million for the year.  and after that, the packers have no other suitors (see my above paragraph).  rodgers says F U to the packers brass he is pissed at and shows up to training camp, and says, pay me.  do you then pay him the money as an option bonus (spreading the pain over a few more years) and do you just pay it off this year, probably necessitating a lot of cap juggling to fit him in this year?

23 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

no, the fall back is no one else is willing to acquire rodgers and his $58.3 million option bonus and rodgers refuses to retire, and now the packers owe him an additional $58.3 million bonus plus his $1.165 million base salary in 2023, all the while creating a circus at camp with rodgers sitting on the bench as they try to break love in as their QB of the future.

as putrid as they may be, the jets will have more other options at QB than the packers will have in terms of getting out of that contract if the trade falls apart.

Don't you think, given the hardball/long game the packers are playing, that they are aware of other teams that would come into play?   You think their fall back is paying his bonus?   Highly doubtful..

5 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

He would retire in a second and not even give any thought into the other ideas. 

He's the guy who still thinks he can win an MVP...  He's committed to playing this year IMO...  But if he does retire, we don't owe him the bonus so...

Just now, ptisme said:

Don't you think, given the hardball/long game the packers are playing, that they are aware of other teams that would come into play?   You think their fall back is paying his bonus?   Highly doubtful..

They are playing hardball as long as they can.  They are hoping Joe D will cave in which he will not.  

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

sure, we can play the hypothetical game

but why do you think some team will just appear out of thin air, and after thinking it over for months and months, say, sure, let's go get rodgers and pay him $59 million for 2023, while also offering to give the packers more than whatever the best offer from the jets was.

OMG....   So the other team would enter the fray with the understanding that they would get him cheap given the Packers have a deadline approaching.   And once again, his cap WOULDN'T be 59 million this year.   The 59 million is the check they'd cut him, not his cap.

The idea the Packers can just ship Rodgers to any trade partner they find is nothing more than a Packer fan fantasy. All Rodgers has to do is tell the other team he'll retire if they trade for him and they'll immediately be out.

Your options are pay him or trade him to a team that can A) wants to trade for him, B: can take the contract and  C) he agrees to play for

And we know the Packers aren't going to pay him.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Lacking in this discussion right now is Rodgers’ leverage.  Joe D wouldn’t be playing hardball unless he was confident that A Rod is airtight in his decision to play for the Jets.  Rodgers would like nothing more than to: 1) stick it to Gutenkast, and 2) preserve as many resources for a SB run.  

I think the stare down is more between Rodgers and the Packers than the Jets and Packers.  Rodgers has some moves that could make things uncomfortable for the Packers.  Like showing up to OTAs.  There is no surprise team.  Rodgers values trust more than anything.  That’s why everyone is confident this will get done.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

They are playing hardball as long as they can.  They are hoping Joe D will cave in which he will not.  

You don't think Aug 1 comes around and his owner won't put the screws to him?   Would you bet your mortgage on that?

44 minutes ago, ptisme said:

That's an incomplete argument.

No team will trade for Rodgers unless he agrees to play for them. If a team calls GB, they are also going to need to hear from Rodgers that he will accept a trade of there's no deal to be made.

He also does not have any reason to retire when he has $60M reasons not to this year alone.  The leverage is if he decides to show up Week 1 to collect hi paycheck, without having practiced with the team in TC.  Would it be a dick move?  Sure.  But the Packers put themselves in this situation with that contract. 

They have to accept that they need help to fix the situation and right now, the Jets are the only team offering that help.  Burning that olive branch is not a solution for them.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Lacking in this discussion right now is Rodgers’ leverage.  Joe D wouldn’t be playing hardball unless he was confident that A Rod is airtight in his decision to play for the Jets.  Rodgers would like nothing more than to: 1) stick it to Gutenkast, and 2) preserve as many resources for a SB run.  

I think the stare down is more between Rodgers and the Packers than the Jets and Packers.  Rodgers has some moves that could make things uncomfortable for the Packers.  Like showing up to OTAs.  There is no surprise team.  Rodgers values trust more than anything.  That’s why everyone is confident this will get done.

The Packers leverage would be trading him late in the game and the Jets have no off season with Rodgers to get in sync with everyone...   

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

no, i don't think there are other teams.  or else the packers would have been engaged with them this whole time.

and again, while he technically doesn't have a no trade clause, rodgers can effectively control where he goes. 

for your hypothetical to be true, all of the following must be in place:

(i) some mystery team exists that is interested in rodgers

(ii) rodgers must be interested in said mystery team (no one is giving up anything of value unless they know rodgers will come play for them)

(iii) said mystery team has to be willing to pay rodgers the $59 million he is owed for 2023 and take on the rest of the contractual obligations (including the 2024 option bonus)

(iv) said mystery team has to be willing to give up more than whatever the best offer the jets have made thus far, or else GB is screwing itself by taking less from someone else

at the end of the day, unless rodgers decides to retire and forgo his payday, SOMEONE needs to pay aaron rodgers his $58.3 million bonus and his $1.165 million base salary in 2023.  you can't just "trade him anywhere"

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's an incomplete argument.

No team will trade for Rodgers unless he agrees to play for them. If a team calls GB, they are also going to need to hear from Rodgers that he will accept a trade of there's no deal to be made.

He also does not have any reason to retire when he has $60M reasons not to this year alone.  The leverage is if he decides to show up Week 1 to collect hi paycheck, without having practiced with the team in TC.  Would it be a dick move?  Sure.  But the Packers put themselves in this situation with that contract. 

They have to accept that they need help to fix the situation and right now, the Jets are the only team offering that help.  Burning that olive branch is not a solution for them.

I don't think Rodgers would rather sit on the Packers bench and be forever hated by packer nation that to start for a team that wants to trade for him.