Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

no, i don't think there are other teams.  or else the packers would have been engaged with them this whole time.

and again, while he technically doesn't have a no trade clause, rodgers can effectively control where he goes. 

for your hypothetical to be true, all of the following must be in place:

(i) some mystery team exists that is interested in rodgers

(ii) rodgers must be interested in said mystery team (no one is giving up anything of value unless they know rodgers will come play for them)

(iii) said mystery team has to be willing to pay rodgers the $59 million he is owed for 2023 and take on the rest of the contractual obligations (including the 2024 option bonus)

(iv) said mystery team has to be willing to give up more than whatever the best offer the jets have made thus far, or else GB is screwing itself by taking less from someone else

at the end of the day, unless rodgers decides to retire and forgo his payday, SOMEONE needs to pay aaron rodgers his $58.3 million bonus and his $1.165 million base salary in 2023.  you can't just "trade him anywhere"

I've answered all this nine times in the last 30 min.

10 minutes ago, ptisme said:

OMG....   So the other team would enter the fray with the understanding that they would get him cheap given the Packers have a deadline approaching.   And once again, his cap WOULDN'T be 59 million this year.   The 59 million is the check they'd cut him, not his cap.

i understand the $59 million isn't the cap hit this year.

but do you think there are many teams that are just willing to pay him $59 million, even if this amount hits the cap over the next 2 or 3 years?

50 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Spite is the reason GB wants fair value for him.   Assuming GB wants fair value for him they will run the clock down knowing full well the Jets want him working with their offense starting in OTA's.   They are gambling on the high probability the jets will cave.   On the low probability the Jets bail the fall back would be trade him to whoever will take him.   The gamble is worth it if they think the Jets will cave.

It’s a simple disagreement on the compensation valuation. That’s it. There are 25 million reasons to wait until June 2nd. All this talk about leverage etc is just talking heads with 4 news cycles a day trying to think of something to say 

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I've answered all this nine times in the last 30 min.

no you haven't

you just assume that some team will come to the packers rescue and trade for rodgers and assume his contract.  but this is based on hopes and wishes, and not reality.

do you really think at this juncture there are other suitors will to pay aaron rodgers $59 million for perhaps 1 year.  whether this $59 million (or $100 million for 2 years) hits the cap in 1, 2, or 3 years is irrelevant.  the team still needs to actually pay him and take the cap charges over time.

there is no basis to think some knight in shining armor shows up now, unless something crazy happens like josh allen gets in a serious car accident and can't play anymore and the bills suddenly need a QB.

you think the falcons, colts, commanders are willing to write this check and take this type of cap hit?  

• Upvote 2

Spite is a reason they don't say thanks for the memories just go ala Tom Brady.   Surely the Packers don't want to trade him for a song.   But it may be a fall back option while they gamble on the excellent chance the Jets eventually cave.   Trading him for a song is much less devastating to GB than not getting Rodgers is to the Jets at this point in the game.
You keep saying that....trade him for a song. Does that mean GB eating most of his salary? Because that's would it would take at the very least to get another team interested.

13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i understand the $59 million isn't the cap hit this year.

but do you think there are many teams that are just willing to pay him $59 million, even if this amount hits the cap over the next 2 or 3 years?

I don't.  I have no idea.   But it's possible and we're sitting here playing hypotheticals.   I mean it's possible GB is holding an ace if they're going all in...   IF you are correct and Gute ends up eating his contract this year and Rodgers is on this team then Gute will be firmly on the hot seat.   I don't naturally assume he's an idiot based off what I've seen of him.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm personally not ready to say this will happen. I do believe the deal gets done before the draft, but if it doesn't, it's mainly because of the cash and conditions which has been a trouble spot for both parties. Some are suggesting the Packers want to wait until June 1 to trade him they would be in a more favorable cap position this year, but that would mean they take a hit next year. They're using this as a rebuilding year so that doesn't make much sense for GB, who should want to be free-and-clear of the contract by next year. However, they could also rationalize that this isn't a great draft, and they can probably get more "future" compensation (i.e. a guaranteed 1st rounder) if they let this drag out post-draft. Again, I'm not sure what the Packers are thinking I'm just speculating. Worst case scenario for both sides would be to wait deep into August/just before the season. The option must be picked up by September 10, and if the Packers pick up his option they are on the hook for the full $59 million. This also would mean Rodgers misses the entire offseason with his new team. Naturally neither side will let it come to that. 

From the Jets side, I don't think there's significant urgency. if no deal were struck, their negotiations would basically start over from scratch with 2024-25 draft capital headlining the return compensation, so all previous frameworks would be blown to smithereens. I think they would absolutely try to move down from one of #42/#43 in effort to collect future draft capital. For instance, if a team towards the end of round 2/early round 3 wanted to jump up, the Jets could ask for a 2023 2nd/3rd + a future 2024 2nd/3rd in return to move down. A deal post-draft would likely be far less lucrative for the Packers, but it would likely have to include our 2024 first-round pick... my guess it would more closely resemble the Sam Bradford deal (2024 first-round pick + conditional 2025 fourth-round pick) than what they're going over now (2023 second-round pick + conditional 2024 second-round pick). Honestly not the worst thing in the world, but potential for disaster if he were to get injured/underperform/retired early. I think they understand the value of getting him in early, but they also don't think it would be detrimental if he were to miss OTAs. If it dragged past minicamp it would be a problem. 

Even OTAs/minicamp is bad but not end of the world. If he misses any part of training camp it’s a huge failure for JD. You can’t let this drag on that long.

23 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

no you haven't

you just assume that some team will come to the packers rescue and trade for rodgers and assume his contract.  but this is based on hopes and wishes, and not reality.

do you really think at this juncture there are other suitors will to pay aaron rodgers $59 million for perhaps 1 year.  whether this $59 million (or $100 million for 2 years) hits the cap in 1, 2, or 3 years is irrelevant.  the team still needs to actually pay him and take the cap charges over time.

there is no basis to think some knight in shining armor shows up now, unless something crazy happens like josh allen gets in a serious car accident and can't play anymore and the bills suddenly need a QB.

you think the falcons, colts, commanders are willing to write this check and take this type of cap hit?  

If there was a mystery suitor, we wouldn't have a 400 page thread. Nobody wants the contract, much less be willing to give up significant assets for it. We're the idiots that are willing to take it. And instead of being grateful, GB is pouting and playing some weird spite game.

The idea that GB is holding off making a superior deal with a dozen other mystery suitors because of their undying love and respect for the NY Jets organization is pathetically laughable. Or they're being so generous as to afford the jets some deadline to accept a deal before they "open it up". If a dude landed from Mars tomorrow with 2x first rd picks, theyd ask no questions, take it, and not even waste their time calling the jets to tell them to F off.

THEY HAVE NO ONE ELSE. Holy sh*t, we need to at least establish the facts here.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Pretty sure the Packers are thinking…we have a QB with Love. You guys do not. So give us what we want. No? Ok, cool, enjoy Zach Wilson again!

While not making a deal at all is stupid for both teams, Jets are def the more desperate ones. 

I'm not sure you understand how crippling financially keeping Rodgers on their roster would be for the next 2 seasons at least. 

For instance, if they keep Rodgers and give him his $60 million and he retires after the season while also picking up Love's 5th yr option they will begin the 2024 season $40 million OVER the cap with only 33 players on the roster. 

They can not "just keep him" like their fans would like you to think.  That is why they have zero leverage in this situation and why the longer they wait the worse their return would be. It's also why I think all of the proposed deals that have been rumored are probably on the high end of what will actually happen.  

They are trading him one way or another regardless of the trade comp going back. As long as Rodgers holds strong to the idea that he'll only play for the Jets the Packers have no choice but to accept what the Jets are offering. Let's hope Rodgers shows up to their offseason program next Monday and puts a little bit more pressure on them. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Adding this to see if we can get this to 800 pages by April 27

Jets are absolutely right to balk at that. If rodgers gets hurt week 1 and we end up with a top 5 pick next year when there are great qbs coming out and we desperately need a qb, it's a disaster.

A 2nd that may escalate to a 1 if the Jets make the divisional rd or afccg is THE most generous I would go. Otherwise enjoy your spite tour GB and feel free to keep him.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Jets are absolutely right to balk at that. If rodgers gets hurt week 1 and we end up with a top 5 pick next year when there are great qbs coming out and we desperately need a qb, it's a disaster.

A 2nd that may escalate to a 1 if the Jets make the divisional rd or afccg is THE most generous I would go. Otherwise enjoy your spite tour GB and feel free to keep him.

more generous than Joe. He is offered a condition 3rd next year lol. and no higher than a 3 this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Rodgers going back to Green Bay is not happening. That ship has sailed and sunk. He'll retire first. Jordon love is likely sh*t though, this we can agree on. 

You think a spiteful Aaron Rodgers is going to retire instead of collecting $60 million agree the way they've give about this situation? He anyway hates the GM there for drafting Love and never drafting anybody early on offense to help him. I think you're underestimating the amount of spite and hurt feelings Rodgers has now and how much more there will be if this trade falls through. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I'll reiterate my very very unpopular opinion on this.  The Jets have played the 'get a vet QB for this year' scenario about as bad as you can play it and are now reaping their stupidity.

I think you can make this statement July 31st, still a bit early. 

But yes, I would have just gotten Derek Carr. 

• Upvote 2

Rodgers can end this by showing up to GB next week for offseason workouts. If I was his agent I would tell him to do that.  Then when questioned by the media let them know you will either play for the Jets or Packers. You won't retire and you won't accept a trade anywhere else. He'll be traded in 24 hours. If I'm the Jets I'm pushing the agent to make that happen. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

The Packers leverage would be trading him late in the game and the Jets have no off season with Rodgers to get in sync with everyone...   

Then enjoy the 2024 7th rd pick theyll be offering at that point. You act like the Packers will get the same return for him no matter when they trade him. The closer the season gets the less comp the Packers will get back. 

• Upvote 3

The more I read the more mind boggling it is that JD let woody fire up his personal Jet and fly out to meet Rodgers without a firm agreement in place. If it was just an ambiguous, vague understanding then he got played by the Packers because they knew that after meeting Rodgers Woody would be all in.  I think that’s the big W factor here, when does Woody just call JD and tell him to just effing do it. 

there are some optics involved with Rodgers going into the HOF as a packer and all that how messy they will allow the divorce to get. 

if it isn’t the 2023 first involved, only a second, the packers can wait until September if they really want to. They won’t, but technically they can bluff the bejeezus out of JD.  
They can pivot to a player this year and the first next year easily.
There is no bumper, no deadline after June 2 for them. Every day after June 2 Rodgers value this year to the Jets is diluted a little because of lost preparation time, and the pressure goes up on the jets.  

if it goes beyond June 17 look out  things could get crazy lol

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

If there was a mystery suitor, we wouldn't have a 400 page thread. Nobody wants the contract, much less be willing to give up significant assets for it. We're the idiots that are willing to take it. And instead of being grateful, GB is pouting and playing some weird spite game.

The idea that GB is holding off making a superior deal with a dozen other mystery suitors because of their undying love and respect for the NY Jets organization is pathetically laughable. Or they're being so generous as to afford the jets some deadline to accept a deal before they "open it up". If a dude landed from Mars tomorrow with 2x first rd picks, theyd ask no questions, take it, and not even waste their time calling the jets to tell them to F off.

THEY HAVE NO ONE ELSE. Holy sh*t, we need to at least establish the facts here.

To quote the rest of the board: I believe ur forgetting Rodgers intent to play for the Jets...

43 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Please show me the link to who said that

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Bro Wtf is up with packer fans??? ???

Top comment: “I hope to God this is how the packers view it. Give us the first or you're not getting him. Pay him his money and let him retire. **** the jets” 

You guys a real petty bunch, I understand your madness now  ?

I didn't pay attention to Green Bay fans but it is insane how entitled they seem to me!

Amazing they would for "spite" literally allow a player, THEY DON'T WANT ANYMORE, to collect over $100 Million dollars to do nothing and not improve their team so that the player and another team will be hurt!

• Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm not sure you understand how crippling financially keeping Rodgers on their roster would be for the next 2 seasons at least. 

For instance, if they keep Rodgers and give him his $60 million and he retires after the season while also picking up Love's 5th yr option they will begin the 2024 season $40 million OVER the cap with only 33 players on the roster. 

They can not "just keep him" like their fans would like you to think.  That is why they have zero leverage in this situation and why the longer they wait the worse their return would be. It's also why I think all of the proposed deals that have been rumored are probably on the high end of what will actually happen.  

They are trading him one way or another regardless of the trade comp going back. As long as Rodgers holds strong to the idea that he'll only play for the Jets the Packers have no choice but to accept what the Jets are offering. Let's hope Rodgers shows up to their offseason program next Monday and puts a little bit more pressure on them. 

Are there a large collection of Packer fans that think this?   Certainly not on this board that i've seen..

32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You think a spiteful Aaron Rodgers is going to retire instead of collecting $60 million agree the way they've give about this situation? He anyway hates the GM there for drafting Love and never drafting anybody early on offense to help him. I think you're underestimating the amount of spite and hurt feelings Rodgers has now and how much more there will be if this trade falls through. 

I think there's equal spite and hurt feelings on both sides TBH...

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

The more I read the more mind boggling it is that JD let woody fire up his personal Jet and fly out to meet Rodgers without a firm agreement in place. If it was just an ambiguous, vague understanding then he got played by the Packers because they knew that after meeting Rodgers Woody would be all in.  I think that’s the big W factor here, when does Woody just call JD and tell him to just effing do it. 

there are some optics involved with Rodgers going into the HOF as a packer and all that how messy they will allow the divorce to get. 

if it isn’t the 2023 first involved, only a second, the packers can wait until September if they really want to. They won’t, but technically they can bluff the bejeezus out of JD.  
They can pivot to a player this year and the first next year easily.
There is no bumper, no deadline after June 2 for them. Every day after June 2 Rodgers value this year to the Jets is diluted a little because of lost preparation time, and the pressure goes up on the jets.  

if it goes beyond June 17 look out  things could get crazy lol

I'm guessing everything was on track until someone had to go on PM and run his mouth during negotiations.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I'm no board.   Lets write up the papers.

But here's the issue. I think the jets would cave and do that. But if gb has their arms crossed and is refusing anything but a straight 1st, they're being unreasonable. So this gets done when gb wakes up, not the other way around

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I'm guessing everything was on track until someone had to go on PM and run his mouth during negotiations.

Nah. I’m not worried about the noise and speculation and hot takes. The NFL makes a wolf pack attack seem chill. This is old fashioned pressure cooker tactics, waiting for the other guy to blink.