Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Sounds like a deal was in place and Woody  stopped it from going forward bc both teams were operating under the understanding that Rodgers would be here 2 years. Rodgers comments on McAfee gave the Jets doubts he'd be here more than 1 year and they backed offthe original trade parameters. 

So just to be sure, it wasn't those evil packers that "moved the goal post" (it was said a bunch on here) after an agreement was made?  None of us are stupid enough to believe him when he said he was 90 percent retired going in and then woody got scared.   It was collusion between him and the jets.   A guy who says he can still win an MVP weeks earlier isn't in retirement mode..

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I'm pretty sure if the report sends like it's coming out of NY, it's not true. I think reports that seem to be coming out of GB are true. They're trying to shed responsibility bc this is not a good look for them to treat one of their all time greats like this. 

Except fans are just as tired of his schtick and support the team on this.   Just like we supported moving on to AROD from BF.   And nobody wants to see us get bent again like we did in the favre trade.

Is there any way Rodgers can help us in negotiations?  Can he publicly say that he won't accept a trade to any team other than the Jets?  So it's either Packers or Jets for him?  And that would screw over GB in terms of leverage?

I wonder if it's gotten to that point between him and GB management.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Honest question if they say you know what we're keeping arod would the Jets have any interest in Jordan love?

Another random thought if Tennessee drafts a qb high maybe tannehill shakes loose 

Zero chance Love gets traded.   He's a lottery ticket and they want to see what they have in him.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is there any way Rodgers can help us in negotiations?  Can he publicly say that he won't accept a trade to any team other than the Jets?  So it's either Packers or Jets for him?  And that would screw over GB in terms of leverage?

If that conversation was going to happen, it already has. GB already knows which teams are on Rodgers’ list. Maybe it’s only the jets, maybe there were several, GB talked to all of them and now it’s just us remaining.

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

I would be surprised if the Titans want to move from Tannehill so strongly that they would trade him for "very little" to a competing team unless their agenda is to move up in the draft. Their alternative on the bench is a third round pick who went 1-4 last season.

If they draft a QB the smart move would be to let him sit behind Tannehill for a year.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Feels like Murphy and Gutenkunst are just searching for a way to save face before the inevitable occurs. They don’t have another bidder, they absolutely cannot afford to take Rodgers back into the fold, and time is running out. On the other end, the Jets are literally bidding against themselves and the offer they put together is only as high as it is to deter the Irsays of the world from trying to jump in on a lark. These rumors about the impasse have become increasingly desperate, which suggests it’s the Packers doing some expectation-setting for their weird little blog community who’s already grieving over the end of the Favre-Rodgers Era. 

LOL fans grieving the end of the era are a very small minority.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Seriously?   IMO He knew he was going to be traded to the jets the minute you hired hack.    He waited to break this until FA so there'd be no other bidders and assured it by saying he wanted to play for the jets.   Then, in collusion with the Jets he drops the 90 percent bullsh*t that nobody believes and suddenly the Jets want to "move the goal post" on the agreed upon trade.  Now he "sends signals" to the jets they should not be in a hurry because he's not showing up right away...    How much more should he help???

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

If they draft a QB the smart move would be to let him sit behind Tannehill for a year.

If Rodgers does not work out the Jets are looking at Wentz, who along with Wilson will wing it.

Either that or tank 2023 and pick a QB in 2024.

I think the latter is smarter. 

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Rodgers does not work out the Jets are looking at Wentz, who along with Wilson will wing it.

I could do you one better.   Let Zach sit behind Tim Boyle and learn the ropes for a year:).  Seriously though you are too good to tank enough to get a QB at the top of the draft next year.  If you miss out on Rodgers and the playoffs everyone will get fired.

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Seriously?   IMO He knew he was going to be traded to the jets the minute you hired hack.    He waited to break this until FA so there'd be no other bidders and assured it by saying he wanted to play for the jets.   Then, in collusion with the Jets he drops the 90 percent bullsh*t that nobody believes and suddenly the Jets want to "move the goal post" on the agreed upon trade.  Now he "sends signals" to the jets they should not be in a hurry because he's not showing up right away...    How much more should he help???

In terms of his short-term/win-now aspirations, it's in his best interest to help the Jets preserve as many draft picks as he possibly can.

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No team is interested. Not after hearing the price gb wants. Teams would have been in sooner.. Packers front office may not be the brightest, but their only leverage is eating rodgers contract and sending him home, just out of spite. JD should trade 1 of the 2nds for a future 1st. Say 2025. Jets can give them a second next yr, and that first in 25. If they don’t call while we are on clock on day 2.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

**** tanking. Seriously?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ptisme said:

Spite is the reason GB wants fair value for him.   Assuming GB wants fair value for him they will run the clock down knowing full well the Jets want him working with their offense starting in OTA's.   They are gambling on the high probability the jets will cave.   On the low probability the Jets bail the fall back would be trade him to whoever will take him.   The gamble is worth it if they think the Jets will cave.

People actually believe Rodgers will attend OTAs? Even if we get him now, I highly doubt he attends anything that is voluntary.

• Upvote 1

Here's my random prediction.  I think there are two trades that has been agreed upon for draft day.  The issue being, I think the Packers are picking a QB (Will Levis being the target) in the first round if he falls.  If Levis drops, the deal will be centered around a pick swap in the first, and then a 2nd round pick next year and whatever.  If Levis doesn't drop, the pick swap is off the table, and we move to a 2nd round pick this year, and again a conditional second round pick next year (to a first if we win SB) and whatever.  

My reasons:

- GB historically seems to have the philosophy of sitting their QB picks for a couple of years to develop them, but want high quality traits, such as arm talent.   Levis fits the term, big time arm, needs help with the mental aspect of the game in terms of post snap recognition.  If he sits for a year or two, he could develop into something very good.  

- They haven't done the 5th year option for Love yet, and the deadline is right after the draft.  The only reason you don't pick it up is if you plan on having a viable guy behind him developing this year.  If they get the QB, you decline the option and you go year to year.  If Love breaks out like a stud, you try to sign him to a long term extension or franchise tag him.  If they don't get the QB, you pick up the option, and then try to amass as much draft picks as possible for next year, in case Love doesn't work out.  

- Both sides are acting as if the trade is basically done, but the deal hasn't gone through.  I think the only possible thing it can hinge on is the right player being available in the draft.  

Anyway, my prediction.  If Will Levis falls in the draft, the Packers trade up with the Jets and take him.  

If I'm wrong, I'll pretend like I was drunk.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I'm not sure where you're going with that.

You said Rodgers and the Jets colluded from the start. That is not true. Rodgers being ok with going to Vegas disproves that. The Jets just happen to be the only team interested. That’s not collusion. It’s just a small market. A market of 1 team.

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

People actually believe Rodgers will attend OTAs? Even if we get him now, I highly doubt he attends anything that is voluntary.

Boy he took a lot of heat for doing that last year.   I would think he'd want to attend everything he could to:

1. Give himself the best chance to be successful and prove his doubters wrong

2. To show what a good little soldier he is.

29 minutes ago, ptisme said:

It wouldn't hurt to fly a plane towing a banner that reads 'trade Rodgers now' over the Packers facility.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Here's my random prediction.  I think there are two trades that has been agreed upon for draft day.  The issue being, I think the Packers are picking a QB (Will Levis being the target) in the first round if he falls.  If Levis drops, the deal will be centered around a pick swap in the first, and then a 2nd round pick next year and whatever.  If Levis doesn't drop, the pick swap is off the table, and we move to a 2nd round pick this year, and again a conditional second round pick next year (to a first if we win SB) and whatever.  

My reasons:

- GB historically seems to have the philosophy of sitting their QB picks for a couple of years to develop them, but want high quality traits, such as arm talent.   Levis fits the term, big time arm, needs help with the mental aspect of the game in terms of post snap recognition.  If he sits for a year or two, he could develop into something very good.  

- They haven't done the 5th year option for Love yet, and the deadline is right after the draft.  The only reason you don't pick it up is if you plan on having a viable guy behind him developing this year.  If they get the QB, you decline the option and you go year to year.  If Love breaks out like a stud, you try to sign him to a long term extension or franchise tag him.  If they don't get the QB, you pick up the option, and then try to amass as much draft picks as possible for next year, in case Love doesn't work out.  

- Both sides are acting as if the trade is basically done, but the deal hasn't gone through.  I think the only possible thing it can hinge on is the right player being available in the draft.  

Anyway, my prediction.  If Will Levis falls in the draft, the Packers trade up with the Jets and take him.  

If I'm wrong, I'll pretend like I was drunk.  

You lost me on the highlighted.  They want him to succeed and show the world the GM knew what he was doing.   It's going to be someone who catches passes or blocks.  Look at it this way: If Love is good Packers win.   If Love is bad they are set up for a QB next year.

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

You said Rodgers and the Jets colluded from the start. That is not true. Rodgers being ok with going to Vegas disproves that. The Jets just happen to be the only team interested. That’s not collusion. It’s just a small market. A market of 1 team.

I think by the time the Jets hired Hackett they knew Rodgers would choose to play for them.   The raiders were never serious contenders for Rodgers because the owner is cash strapped.

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

You lost me on the highlighted.  They want him to succeed and show the world the GM knew what he was doing.   It's going to be someone who catches passes or blocks.  Look at it this way: If Love is good Packers win.   If Love is bad they are set up for a QB next year.

If Love is bad, and they pick a QB next year, they have to trot him out there next year.  Maybe Caleb Williams and Maye, but those are two very highly thought of guys, so unless they are sure they will get a top 2 pick, they would have to pay through the nose to get them.  Even then I doubt it because of how well they are regarded right now, to the point teams would trade out of those picks.  I think the Packers prefer to pick a guy with potential, and let him sit for a year, if not two because they can let him develop.  If Love is good, Packers do the same thing they expected when picking Love as the backup in the first.  If Love is bad, they have a developing guy as the backup who sat for the year, and has relatively cheap contract to step in.  

15 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If Love is bad, and they pick a QB next year, they have to trot him out there next year.  Maybe Caleb Williams and Maye, but those are two very highly thought of guys, so unless they are sure they will get a top 2 pick, they would have to pay through the nose to get them.  Even then I doubt it because of how well they are regarded right now, to the point teams would trade out of those picks.  I think the Packers prefer to pick a guy with potential, and let him sit for a year, if not two because they can let him develop.  If Love is good, Packers do the same thing they expected when picking Love as the backup in the first.  If Love is bad, they have a developing guy as the backup who sat for the year, and has relatively cheap contract to step in.  

That all makes sense.  Except Love won't be good if he doesn't have talent to throw to.   They currently have zero tight ends and 2-3 receivers that are NFL caliber players.   Drafting a QB rd one would literally result in 70 thousand packers fans with preverbal torches and pitch forks to march down Lombardi avenue on draft night.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ptisme said:

That all makes sense.  Except Love won't be good if he doesn't have talent to throw to.   They currently have zero tight ends and 2-3 receivers that are NFL caliber players.   Drafting a QB rd one would literally result in 70 thousand packers fans with preverbal torches and pitch forks to march down Lombardi avenue on draft night.

I don't think they care about the fan reactions as much, because the pitchforks were out when Love got picked, or when they didn't pick offensive players for Rodgers.  

Again, just my feeling, could be way wrong lol. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I don't think they care about the fan reactions as much, because the pitchforks were out when Love got picked, or when they didn't pick offensive players for Rodgers.  

Again, just my feeling, could be way wrong lol. 

The only pitchforks that will out are the ones outside florham park when douglas outsmarts himself out of a HOF QB and they have to somehow sell to the fanbase that zach wilson is starting week 1 again and nobody shows up to metlife

1 hour ago, jgb said:

**** tanking. Seriously?

Yeah, this team went 5-4 with Utah’s version of Ryan Leaf under center.  It’s too talented a roster to tank and no one should want that.  People seriously want to throw a season away with Sauce, Garrett Wilson, Breece, QW, Reed, etc around, several of those on rookie deals?  Come on.

Rodgers falls through you get the best alternative vet QB you can (like Tannehill) and go to work.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, varjet said:

i would give 13 for Love.  

I would trade for Tannehill and forget Rodgers.  Tannehill will play longer and his wife will be in the NY Post.

I think the key point, which I tried to make before, is that JD and Saleh started this adventure with the "sustainable, competitive, winner" model of the Steelers, Ravens and ...the Packers.   JD could not get it done fast enough, and now he is trying to win now.

The issue is...win now is VERY expensive.  Woody does not want to pay...that. 

13 for Love? Wtf lol

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

It’s truly sad and it’s making me not like them at all if I’m being honest 

I am like you and they, Green Bay, may not realize it but this is impacting their national brand.  It is…

They are literally holding a player hostage whom they don’t want anymore.  Compare this to how JD recently handled Moore and his move to the Browns and it is like night and day IMO..

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1