Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

3 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

And none of that matters because they can fit both under the cap. 

Again the succession plan simply moves back a year. 

And the Packers have to make a determination on Love's option and decide on an extension beyond that. So pushing it back isn't simple. Plus, with all that cap sitting on that roster, they can't do a whole lot to help Love. 

I get it. It's better for the Bills if this blows up for the Jets. But you can't just construct facts to suit that conclusion.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

The last thing you’ll ever see is me panicking on a football message board.
I’m just trying to look at this from both sides, not just as a Jets fan.

If the packers were as utterly f'cked as most fans seem to think the deal would be done already for like a 3rd and conditional 4th next year, because "The jets have all the leverage".

that sure as hell is not happening.

The jets have handled this just brutally and have given the packers some small leeway and as you say the jets will end up playing more than what they should have.  All self inflicted.

But people don't want to hear it.

It will get done, but the narrative will change and the jets will be geniuses for only giving up two 2nd round picks or something like that.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

And the Packers have to make a determination on Love's option and decide on an extension beyond that. So pushing it back isn't simple. Plus, with all that cap sitting on that roster, they can't do a whole lot to help Love. 

I get it. It's better for the Bills if this blows up for the Jets. But you can't just construct facts to suit that conclusion.

It's actually very simple. They would extend Love....

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the packers were as utterly f'cked as most fans seem to think the deal would be done already for like a 3rd and conditional 4th next year, because "The jets have all the leverage".

The jets have handled this just brutally and have given the packers some small leeway and as you say the jets will end up playing more than what they should have.  All self inflicted.

It will get done, but the narrative will change and the jets will be geniuses for only giving up two 2nd round picks or something like that.

They've only handled it brutally if Douglas has no plans but going to guttenkurst after the draft with Zach Wilson as plan b. 

That is a disaster 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What are our choices?

Wait patiently until the Packers inevitably trade Aaron Rodgers to us.

The Packers hands are tied. They are trading Aaron Rodgers one way or another. They cannot afford not to. It's a financial certainty.

The Jets can go into the season with a below average quarterback and/or a rookie like they have for the past 15 years or so. Obviously not great, but it is technically an option.

Not to mention, the Jets can still try to trade for another quarterback such as Jackson and Tannehill. Other options can always emerge if a surprise team drafts a QB high.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The Packers hands are tied. They are trading Aaron Rodgers one way or another. They cannot afford not to. It's a financial certainty.

The Jets can go into the season with a below average quarterback and/or a rookie like they have for the past 15 years or so. Obviously not great, but it is technically an option.

Not to mention, the Jets can still try to trade for other quarterbacks such as Jackson and Tannehill. Another option can always emerge if a surprise team drafts a QB high.

Nobody is trading for Lamar dude. One of the most overrated players in NFL history. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Which was the deal and has been the deal all along. Just not announced until draft day. 

31 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Without knowing if he is worth extending.

They already have decided he's the future. If Rodgers plays one more year in green bay, nothing changes. If Rodgers decided to play two more years in green bay, nothing changes, if Rodgers decided to play 3 more years in green bay, they could hypothetically just franchise love or give him a 3 year deal.

There's no situation where green bay must move on

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

They already have decided he's the future. If Rodgers plays one more year in green bay, nothing changes. If Rodgers decided to play two more years in green bay, nothing changes, if Rodgers decided to play 3 more years in green bay, they could hypothetically just franchise love or give him a 3 year deal.

Green Bay is not paying Rodgers 60 million this year.  No way, no how.  They ain’t gonna eat $60 million out of pride.  And so long as Rodgers refuses to play for another team, no other team is gonna trade for him.  It’s a one way ticket to NY, end of story.  The sooner the Packers accept that, the better for them.  Time to move on. 

My take is it’s better to let Zach get as many reps with Hackett and Downing tutoring him in camp.  The Jets should have no problem waiting til Sept 1 to execute this deal.  Even if it costs them a couple of weeks of Rodgers as QB1.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Green Bay is not paying Rodgers 60 million this year.  No way, no how.  They ain’t gonna eat $60 million out of pride.  And so long as Rodgers refuses to play for another team, no other team is gonna trade for him.  It’s a one way ticket to NY, end of story.  The sooner the Packers accept that, the better for them.  Time to move on. 

My take is it’s better to let Zach get as many reps with Hackett and Downing tutoring him in camp.  The Jets should have no problem waiting til Sept 1 to execute this deal.  Even if it costs them a couple of weeks of Rodgers as QB1.  

I hope you are right

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Zero logic

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

The Packers already have a QB. The picks in the future are all that matter. Whether it's multiple picks now or next year, it still helps Love. Not sure what's so hard to understand here. 

They are picking up his 5th year option in May. They like to really assess him before signing him to a mega qb contract so they need to surround him with more pieces NOW. You want a many years of positive evidence/ play before you hand this kid 50M per year. We're talking about a qb, not a punter. He may start demanding an extension after next year, before his 5th year, and he be well within his rights to do so. GB may say F off, we need to see more to which love can respond is not my fault you guys screwed me with Rodgers and dragged your feet on the trade. 

Point is there is risk for gb. The risk is not putting everything you possibly can around love to get a good assessment before you pay him mega qb bucks and also the risk of pissing him off, which is already rumored to be happening. We complained about this issue for 3 years with darnold. This is also exactly why they cannot have Rodgers back. He won't backup anybody and they need to see love now. Why is this so hard to understand?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

This is the dumbest statement I've read on this message board and that's saying a lot. 

You can't decide a QB is the future. Jets had decided sam darnold and zach wilson were the future, how did that work out? A qb needs to prove he's the future. We're not talking punters here. You gonna have to give these guys 50M per year on any new contract. For Christmas sake, Dan Jones just got 40+ for throwing like 12 TDs. QBs also don't love franchise tags all the time, see Lamar. 

I need to be clear here. There is no scenario that Rodgers is back with greenbay. They need to assess love now and decide whether to pay him the mega contract it would take. You, me, nobody has any clue what love will become. This isn't madden/ fantasy football. You can't assume he's gonna be great now because he has a 90 man rating. Wake up and join reality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’m not addressing anything about Saleh, JD, or the facts of what is actually going on.  I’m well informed regarding all of that.  Yes, their job security depending on this getting done will make sure that it, likely, gets done.  Just like Gutenkunst’s needs to rid himself of the contract he gave Aaron, to prove that Love was the right pick, and build around him so that he can properly be evaluated will, likely, push it over the finish line.

I’m just addressing the absolutely arrogant, laughable, and ridiculous belief that Packers fans hold, which is that we, as Jets fans, give 2 sh*ts about having to watch someone other than Rodgers if we don’t give them a gazillion picks, one of which being a guaranteed 1st round pick.

“Let the Boyle era begin…” - lmfao.  My guy, I have sat through some of the worst QB play pro football fans have ever seen for the better part of the last 12 years.  Do you seriously think I give a flying you-know-what about waiting if it means not overpaying for a QB who is a, potentially, 1 year rental?

Or, maybe they just want the jets to keep to the terms of the deal that we’re agreed upon ahead of time

• Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Not to mention, the Jets can still try to trade for another quarterback such as Jackson and Tannehill. Other options can always emerge if a surprise team drafts a QB high.

Wow, if those are our only options we are totally screwed here. ?

12 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

My thing is, it cant be an unconditional 1st. If it's a 1st in mid to late 20s, I wouldn't be thrilled but ultimately I could swallow it.

That's beyond compromise. Demanding an unprotected 1st and dragging this out when you know how it's gonna end is just being a petty baby.

Couple things: 1. We don't know what GB wants or what the Jets are offering.

2. IF (notice I said if) the report is true that the agreement was a 3rd this year and 1st next year then do you blame GB for wanting the Jets to stick to the handshake?

3. If you and I were negotiating and you offered me 42 this year and a second next year, I'd shake ur hand and we'd go have a beer.

10 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Or, maybe they just want the jets to keep to the terms of the deal that we’re agreed upon ahead of time

Original terms, lol. Like anyone knows. According to packers fans, the original terms a month ago were 2x 1sts and sauce. The jets promised us!

Terms can change when new facts come to light. If you gonna buy a business today for 10M and then find out they went into bankruptcy after you started negotiating, are you still obligated to pay 10M?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Zach Wilson is not a long term plan. If the jets get Rodgers, who's the QB in 24 and beyond? How will you aquire the equivalent prospect of a Levis or Stroud? With Rodgers the jets will challenge for the division and a deep playoff run. You're picking in the late 20s. ( It's possible Douglas trades down to aquire a first next year who knows)

Saying they're not a sure thing and silly comments like " only watching highlights" is not a real answer 

I just don't think it's a given that Rodgers plays one more year.   I mean it's possible but most of these guys you have to drag away from the game.   Rodgers can still sling it and there's no reason to think he couldn't eventually be a pocket quarterback that can still be an effective game manager in 3-4 years.  He still has his legs and the arm is always the last to go.   Marino once said in his 50's he could still throw the ball effectively he just had no legs left.

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Couple things: 1. We don't know what GB wants or what the Jets are offering.

2. IF (notice I said if) the report is true that the agreement was a 3rd this year and 1st next year then do you blame GB for wanting the Jets to stick to the handshake?

3. If you and I were negotiating and you offered me 42 this year and a second next year, I'd shake ur hand and we'd go have a beer.

#1: correct

#2: yes gb can be upset if that's the case. But ask yourself why they're upset. They're upset because there are no other suitors cause if there were, they would tell the jets to take a hike a month ago. That's why all this won't amount to anything at the end of the day. Their only pay is to delay in hopes anyone else steps forward with a better offer. Its been 2 months. That hasn't happened. 

#3. Agreed

12 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Just for giggles:

You know AR well. What would happen if the trade isn't done by the draft and the jets select a QB at 13. What do you think AR reaction would be?

Disowned...  He'd sit down for 10 seconds and think of the worst thing he could do to you and then he'd get on the phone and engineer a trade to NE.

11 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Why do you think guttenkurst is waiting....? 

I'm going to put this out there: Next years draft is supposed to be way more talented than this years.   Maybe Gute wouldn't be all too upset about assets next year.

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

The longer the Packers keep Rodgers, the more desperate they will be. They miss out on 2023 draft picks and its all downhill from there. They dont want Rodgers, He doesnt want them. Its an ugly situation and a lot of money. They need to start Love. No other team is coming to the rescue for Rodgers and they arent going to accept less from another team, just to spite the Jets. That is a clown narrative by the Packers media. Rodgers is playing for the Jets or retiring. And thats bad news for the Packers, whatever way it turns out. 

1. The Packers are desperate but the jets clock expires before the Packers clock.

2. As far as you know no other team will enter the fray.

3. "they aren't going to accept less from another team, just to spite the Jets."  If the report is true that they had an agreement and Woody reneged on it this certainly could be true.   If I had a deal and someone reneged on me my response would be: "I'll sell to someone else cheaper because I sure as hell am not doing this transaction with you after what you tried to pull".

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 2

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Rodgers will be joining an offense where he was the MVP for two straight seasons and his #1 receiver, who he is already working out with and the backup QB, who knows the offense as well. I am pretty confident, he will be fine.

He's already working out with Wilson?   He was the MVP of a team that had worked with him forever.   Adams and Rodgers shared some kind of supernatural mind link.   Adams said they knew each other so well all it would take was a glance at the line.   The offensive line knew Rodgers.   The center knew to snap the ball early to catch 12 men etc...   Rodgers needs time with this team and even more than just training camp.  He is OCD when it comes to everyone being where he wants them and he gets frustrated into bad play when people aren't where they belong.   It only takes one player each snap to turn a play into a negative and that's what GB suffered last year with the new receivers Rodgers didn't work with until training camp.

41 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Packers fans when the rumor was GB changed the terms: “good, the dumb Jets have no leverage!”

Packers fans when the rumor is the Jets did the changing: “omg how could the Jets do this, this is IMMORAL AND EVIL”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

1. The Packers are desperate but the jets clock expires before the Packers clock.

2. As far as you know no other team will enter the fray.

3. "they aren't going to accept less from another team, just to spite the Jets."  If the report is true that they had an agreement and Woody reneged on it this certainly could be true.   If I had a deal and someone reneged on me my response would be: "I'll sell to someone else cheaper because I sure as hell am not doing this transaction with you after what you tried to pull".

Regarding point #1, I actually think the clock/final drop dead date for both teams is end of July just before training camp. GB cannot have him show up to camp and Jets just realistically can't go into camp without a qb. Jets waiting until September is stupid. Jets clock/pressure accelerates ahead of GB if another suitor emergeswhich AR actually agrees to play for (<1% chance). If that happens, this trade would be wrapped in a day.

Regarding point #3, I get the emotional aspect. But we're not trading Pokémon here. This is a 100M player in a multi billion business. There isn't an unlimited market for him. I'm sure there are sour grapes on both sides but the only option, as of today, appears to be these teams coming together. The draft is coming, if emotions are truly taking over negotiations, then GB would refuse to move him for any 2023 picks from NY. Will certainly be an interesting watch. 

I'm with @Mogglez, just don't care. I want AR, but getting AR also means 2024 and beyond we will stink. That cap hit is brutal. I'm not giving up a potential high 1st in 2024 when that may be my only chance to get a new, good, cheap qb. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

They literally can pay Rodgers 60 million and he would be the starter.  Rodgers and guttenkurst hating each other doesn't preclude Rodgers playing for green bay. It doesn't move love anywhere. The Packers succession plan just gets pushed back 

I can't find one thing you said in that paragraph that's reality.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

They are picking up his 5th year option in May. They like to really assess him before signing him to a mega qb contract so they need to surround him with more pieces NOW. You want a many years of positive evidence/ play before you hand this kid 50M per year. We're talking about a qb, not a punter. He may start demanding an extension after next year, before his 5th year, and he be well within his rights to do so. GB may say F off, we need to see more to which love can respond is not my fault you guys screwed me with Rodgers and dragged your feet on the trade. 

Point is there is risk for gb. The risk is not putting everything you possibly can around love to get a good assessment before you pay him mega qb bucks and also the risk of pissing him off, which is already rumored to be happening. We complained about this issue for 3 years with darnold. This is also exactly why they cannot have Rodgers back. He won't backup anybody and they need to see love now. Why is this so hard to understand?

They don't have to make a decision on love for 3 more years. 

4th year 

5th year option 

Franchise tag....

Even after if Rodgers plays for 5 more years, they can convert his contract to a roster bonus and just sign love to a 3 year extension with two years guaranteed. 

The Packers don't have to do anything man

4 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

They don't have to make a decision on love for 3 more years. 

4th year 

5th year option 

Franchise tag....

Even after if Rodgers plays for 5 more years, they can convert his contract to a roster bonus and just sign love to a 3 year extension with two years guaranteed. 

The Packers don't have to do anything man

Dude you live in fantasy land. They do have to make a decision on Love. That decision has to be based on evidence, not hopes and dreams. They are gonna have to pay him 50M a year. You're not doing that with being absolutely sure he's the man. We have seen nothing from love yet that proves he's the man. You're delusional, even the packers fan disagree with you.

Just think for a second. If all you saw from Josh Allen was his rookie year, would you give him 50M?

I'm done arguing this point. It's dumb and wrong. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, ptisme said:

. IF (notice I said if) the report is true that the agreement was a 3rd this year and 1st next year then do you blame GB for wanting the Jets to stick to the handshake?

The Jets were unable to speak with Rodgers until the “framework “ of a deal was agreed upon. In that meeting, AR might have mentioned that ‘23 could be his last year…. Similar to the “90% retired” line he stated on Macafee podcast.

Why would Jets keep to a deal predicated on AR being “all-in” for the next 2 years? Wouldn’t the deal be contingent upon the information gathered? 

13 minutes ago, AVM said:

Packers fans when the rumor was GB changed the terms: “good, the dumb Jets have no leverage!”

Packers fans when the rumor is the Jets did the changing: “omg how could the Jets do this, this is IMMORAL AND EVIL”

Thanks, you gave me a good laugh with this post. It’s funny, because it’s so true.

We would NEVER behave like that though, would we? ?