Christian Hackenberg...

Hack over Zach

Ha ...comic gold ... Never heard that one before .. ... Your a regular Rodney Dangerfield, a virtual Bill Burr ... I can't believe how ingenious your post is ... Someone pinch me ... I think I must be dreaming .... No one can possibly be this clever

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Hackenberg admitted that he was a broken player coming out of Penn State and that he wasn't in the proper mindset to be an NFL QB. His junior year was a mess, and his accuracy and footwork were all over the place. His confidence, as he admitted, was broken -- and the NFL scouts were well aware of this.

For this reason, Hackenberg was nothing more than a third day developmental prospect going into the draft. But Mike Maccagnan, being the smartest man in the room, decided to blow a high 2nd rounder on him. It's not Hackenberg's fault that he was over-drafted. Had Maccagnan not drafted him, he probably would have been a late 4th rounder.

WIth all of that being said, Hackenberg was never going to become an NFL QB. He was not a good enough athlete to overcome for the fact that he didn't have the drive, mindset, or obsession with football that is required to be great. The dude wants to be out hunting with buddies and drinking beer -- not grinding away working on the nuances of throwing a football.

Hackenberg's red flags were all over the place -- Maccagnan just chose to ignore them just like he did with every other draft pick (see: Jachai Polite). 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

WIth all of that being said, Hackenberg was never going to become an NFL QB. He was not a good enough athlete to overcome for the fact that he didn't have the drive, mindset, or obsession with football that is required to be great

I don't if you can say that... i think he's a good example of why the intangibles of training, coaches and development are not only essential, but necessary -- you can't make up for lost time in most cases. 

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Yet another qb the jets had zero plan oh how to help be successful. 

also what a sh*t show Bowles was as a coach.  

He threw passes into the stands dude.  In practice.  

Not every highly drafted QB is secretly good provided you get the right surrounding pieces to “unlock” them.  Some QBs just suck.  

On 3/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, dbatesman said:

remember when Maccagnan passed on Patrick Mahomes because we already had Haxkenberg

Yeah if only we had a Mahomes, or when I was younger a Marino instead of O’Brien (who I would take any day over Zach), maybe we wouldn’t be in our current situation of desperately trying to find a lifeline for our QB situation. Now that I’m old guy with grandkids I realize looking back on being a Jets fan for 50+ years, and for that matter life in general, you can only make so many really bad decisions before you really f*ck up your whole life. Of course I made some bad ones in my life but fortunately not too many, but I have friends & relatives who unfortunately have made way too many and have suffered the consequences.

Whatever happens I know one thing to be true, we need a good QB and a good OL to protect him if we ever are going to get back to the Super Bowl again one day in the future.

Yes, we need lots of other positions filled too, but unless we get QB & OL right by making it the priority with every draft & trade decision nothing is ever gonna change for our team.