Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with all of this… but we now have a ton of money tied into the QB position. So we won’t be players in FA. And we likely have no 1st next year. So that heightens what we need to get in this draft this week. Bc really that’s our only assets for the next couple off seasons (including this one where I think our FA period was rather meh).

Csnt be a win now team and not go all in. We went all in on this trade… but what else have we done to show we’ve gone all in? Sign Lazard? That’s it so far.

That's why you make this move a year after making two drafts-worth of high picks the year before.

They have plenty of future cap room. Name the player(s) you desperately want to sign, and for how much, and I'll show you how they fit.

FFS even knowing this trade (and Rodgers contract) was coming up they offered more than the $16MM/year Orlando Brown took to go elsewhere. If someone wasn't added it wasn't because of a lack of affordability.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's why you make this move a year after making two drafts-worth of high picks the year before.

They have plenty of future cap room. Name the player you desperately want to sign, and for how much, and I'll show you how they fit.

FFS even knowing this trade (and Rodgers contract) was coming up they offered more than the $16MM/year Orlando Brown took to go elsewhere. If someone wasn't added it wasn't because of a lack of affordability.

We overpaid. Yes we got our guy… but who we could’ve got in FA with Rodgers here could’ve changed things. It’s all hypothetical… so it’s a moot point. But I’d have to think our odds of signing guys like Brown, Cox, Campbell, OBJ, etc would’ve been better if Rodgers was here earlier. We waited until 3 days before the draft to give up a huge package for him? Why not have just done this the day after McAfee and have had the last 5-6 weeks to improve the roster? It made sense to wait to get a decent trade value. But we waited and lost value wise. So you overpaid and lost the chance at some FAs in the process.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I have felt three years is indeed really possible….

If the Jets are good, very good, SB competitive good I think Rogers might stay for three years. Why?

Because while he will never win more SBs than Brady, he knows that winning one or even two with the Jets would catapult him past Manning and into a real discussion as to who was better him or Brady…..

It is called the NY/NJ factor and it is a real thing, winning in New York is just different. 

Him playing 2 years is a big boost. But didn’t us giving up conditions for the pick to be a 1st next year make that boost a wash?

Let’s fast forward to next offseason when we have no money to be players in FA and have no 1st rounder and 1st pick might not be until the 60th pick. Not exactly ideal for a win now team.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Him playing 2 years is a big boost. But didn’t us giving up conditions for the pick to be a 1st next year make that boost a wash?

Let’s fast forward to next offseason when we have no money to be players in FA and have no 1st rounder and 1st pick might not be until the 60th pick. Not exactly ideal for a win now team.

Have they published the salary implications yet?

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Stop it. They have $58 million in cap space in 2024 and $145 million in 2025. The Jets have plenty of flexibility to do whatever they want the next 3 years and that's without adjusting Rodgers contract at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If Rogers plays three years in a Jets uniform cause we won one or two SBs, I am not too concerned about cap hits five years out.  

Your post assumes Rogers is unwilling to rework his deal and that is something no one has said that he is unwilling to do. 

Let’s not prematurely panic. 

• Upvote 4

We overpaid. Yes we got our guy… but who we could’ve got in FA with Rodgers here could’ve changed things. It’s all hypothetical… so it’s a moot point. But I’d have to think our odds of signing guys like Brown, Cox, Campbell, OBJ, etc would’ve been better if Rodgers was here earlier. We waited until 3 days before the draft to give up a huge package for him? Why not have just done this the day after McAfee and have had the last 5-6 weeks to improve the roster? It made sense to wait to get a decent trade value. But we waited and lost value wise. So you overpaid and lost the chance at some FAs in the process.

The reason the jets waited so long is because they wanted for you to have a reason to whine 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

If Rogers plays three years in a Jets uniform cause we won one or two SBs, I am not too concerned about cap hits five years out.  

Your post assumes Rogers is unwilling to rework his deal and that is something no one has said that he is unwilling to do. 

Let’s not prematurely panic. 

We win a SB and what we gave up and all doesn't matter.

But let's not act like winning a SB is easy. Especially being in the AFC where there's 2-3 teams just as good as us, if not better.

He was calling guys and recruiting them to come to the jets. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Stop it. They have $58 million in cap space in 2024 and $145 million in 2025. The Jets have plenty of flexibility to do whatever they want the next 3 years and that's without adjusting Rodgers contract at all.

Are you serious? They have 58mill bc Q isn't on the books for his deal in that and neither is Rodgers. Put those 2 deals in there and we're over the cap. So we have no money in FA next year. Or we're paying Rodgers for years and years spreading his number out.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

drumming mike lookinland GIF by HULU
You keep banging away at that drumbeat…. Bobby.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Larz said:

He was calling guys and recruiting them to come to the jets. 

Without being a Jet.

Let's say you're with Fidelity and a guy who you really respect and think is huge in what can be great for you business wise works at TD Ameritrade asks you to go to Charles Schwab with him. Keep in mind he's not with Charles Schwab yet. So are you taking that risk without anything official? Looks like Lazard was the only one who took that risk.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Without being a Jet.

Let's say you're with Fidelity and a guy who you really respect and think is huge in what can be great for you business wise works at TD Ameritrade asks you to go to Charles Schwab with him. Keep in mind he's not with Charles Schwab yet. So are you taking that risk without anything official? Looks like Lazard was the only one who took that risk.

Of course not. Everyone knows that Schwab has declining trading volume and balance sheet contraction.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We win a SB and what we gave up and all doesn't matter.

But let's not act like winning a SB is easy. Especially being in the AFC where there's 2-3 teams just as good as us, if not better.

Ummmmm being in the discussion for real for a SB is hard, let alone winning one!

IMO…..

This is the first time the Jets are a legitimate SB discussed team since Bill Parcells was on the sidelines and that is a long long long time ago now…

And Parcells is disliked by many out here because he ran from the Jets like a rat jumping off a sinking ship when Leon Hess passed. 

So yea I know how hard it is for the Jets or any team to be discussed for a SB let alone win one and that is why I am happy that the Jets are in the discussion for a SB for once in decades!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmm being in the discussion for real for a SB is hard, let alone winning one!

IMO…..

This is the first time the Jets are a legitimate SB discussed team since Bill Parcells was on the sidelines and that is a long long long time ago now…

And Parcells is disliked by many out here because he ran from the Jets like a rat jumping off a sinking ship when Leon Hess passed. 

So yea I know how hard it is for the Jets or any team to be discussed for a SB let alone win one and that is why I am happy that the Jets are in the discussion for a SB for once in decades!

100% but if we're going all in... go all in. Don't just sign Allen Lazard.

KC, CIN, BUF are teams that drafted their QB and have built up their team. We just paid big for a QB and he's 39. Our window is very small compared to those other teams (KC technically doesn't have a window since they've won 2 SBs in the last few years). So what we need to do in an off season or 2 is WAY bigger for us, then them.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Without being a Jet.

Lazard wanted to be in a big metro area. Ironically I don’t think Rodgers was the #1 reason he’s here. It seems like you are forcing a narrative here. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm very happy we have Rodgers. Not doubt. But I have to see who we draft at 15 and 43 and who goes 13,14 and 42 to really rate this.

Exactly! So before condemning it outright, let’s wait until all the details of the contract come out to adequately evaluate the trade. The Draft picks are important, but only 25% as important as the contract IMO

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lazard wanted to be in a big metro area. Ironically I don’t think Rodgers was the #1 reason he’s here. It seems like you are forcing a narrative here. 

Just like Calais Campbell wanted to stay in the South to continue his community service work. However,SOJ want to blame JD for him not signing here because Rodgers contract wasn’t completed BEFORE he went into the cave.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I have felt three years is indeed really possible….

If the Jets are good, very good, SB competitive good I think Rogers might stay for three years. Why?

Because while he will never win more SBs than Brady, he knows that winning one or even two with the Jets would catapult him past Manning and into a real discussion as to who was better him or Brady…..

It is called the NY/NJ factor and it is a real thing, winning in New York is just different. 

Plus it's not like Manning also writing record books in Denver & then getting a ring there when they were relegated to hiding him like Zach Wilson, running the ball while their D dismantled & humiliated 50-TD league MVP Cam Newton. 

Winning not just in NY/NJ, but specifically with the loser Jets, would be like the Indians winning the pennant in Major League or even Kurt Warner (nearly) winning one on with Arizona. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus it's not like Manning also writing record books in Denver & then getting a ring there when they were relegated to hiding him like Zach Wilson, running the ball while their D dismantled & humiliated 50-TD league MVP Cam Newton. 

Winning not just in NY/NJ, but specifically with the loser Jets, would be like the Indians winning the pennant in Major League or even Kurt Warner (nearly) winning one on with Arizona. 

This Board would be delicious if Jets win it all and the national media talks about how Rodgers carried the moribund sad sack Jets kicking and screaming to a championship.

• Upvote 1