Will McDonald film room

maury77

He will be a wildcard in the pass rush. 

He will be set up wide outside of JJ or Lawson.  But also can be utilized inside between the DE and Q.  Because his explosive speed + spin-bend moves would give OG's plenty of problems too.  And his presence inside would take away from the OL focusing double teams on Q.  

Many thought McDonald would be picked in 2nd round.  JD-Saleh think differently.  I'm definitely excited to see how he fits in the DL rotation.  And the impact he'll bring to the DL pass rush.  Could very well be the missing link to a scary potent pass rush.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

He wins at an unreal clip whenever he's not lined up inside the tackle (and sometimes even he is), and he does it in a variety of ways and with the type of explosiveness this team has been missing for over a decade.

I'll have to find the stat I saw, it's probably been posted somewhere on the board already, but not only is his pressure rate elite, he also finishes those pressures with sacks at an extremely high level. Some of that obviously has to do with his bend, but I think his wing span (6'10 I believe) also shouldn't be overlooked. You see it with Lawson where he'll get close to the QB but is unable to convert because of his shorter arms; in a league where tenths of seconds matter a whole lot, having the extra arm length can make a huge difference. And not only does it lead to more sacks, it leads to more strip sacks, another thing we've been crucially missing even in the years we have had good defenses.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Jets were ranked low in pressure to sack rate. Time to change that. 

See above

22 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

He wins at an unreal clip whenever he's not lined up inside the tackle (and sometimes even he is), and he does it in a variety of ways and with the type of explosiveness this team has been missing for over a decade.

I'll have to find the stat I saw, it's probably been posted somewhere on the board already, but not only is his pressure rate elite, he also finishes those pressures with sacks at an extremely high level. Some of that obviously has to do with his bend, but I think his wing span (6'10 I believe) also shouldn't be overlooked. You see it with Lawson where he'll get close to the QB but is unable to convert because of his shorter arms; in a league where tenths of seconds matter a whole lot, having the extra arm length can make a huge difference. And not only does it lead to more sacks, it leads to more strip sacks, another thing we've been crucially missing even in the years we have had good defenses.

• 2 weeks later...