RB Depth Chart

On 5/5/2023 at 12:23 PM, Beerfish said:

Carter and knight both fell off a cliff when we needed them the most.  They better be ready for camp.  I can see the rookie taking job one until breece is fully ready to go or at least splitting carries.

Disingenuous

OL injuries stacked up, QB play fell off of a cliff, defenses keyed in on the limitations of the offense...

We have talent and depth at RB we haven't had in a long time, and with Rodgers at QB, it changes everything on offense and forces teams to play off the LOS.

Just once, take your doom and gloom glasses off and make sense!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Disingenuous

OL injuries stacked up, QB play fell off of a cliff, defenses keyed in on the limitations of the offense...

We have talent and depth at RB we haven't had in a long time, and with Rodgers at QB, it changes everything on offense and forces teams to play off the LOS.

Good points but I do think Carter didn't look good all year.  Hall looked so much better in the same situation and Carter just seemed too slow and small.

Abanikanda was likely taken as a future Carter replacement. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

Disingenuous

Doom and gloom = reality.

If these guys need all pro oline play and all pro QB play they are jags.  I comment on what i see on the field, poor non effective Rb play later in the year.

If this is your take you should be very upset that the jets drafted a RB this past draft, I mean why?  We have breece coming back and the great duo of carter and knight.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Doom and gloom = reality.

If these guys need all pro oline play and all pro QB play they are jags.  I comment on what i see on the field, poor non effective Rb play later in the year.

If this is your take you should be very upset that the jets drafted a RB this past draft, I mean why?  We have breece coming back and the great duo of carter and knight.

No, your view is ignorant.

They don't need all pro O line play and all pro QB, that isn't what I said, I said our RB's were faced with abysmal O line play due to multiple and extensive injuries. We were playing our #4,5, and 6 OT's by end of the year. To not acknowledge this is simply ignorant.

After Mike White got hurt, and Zach lost his confidence, QB play was abysmal.

Just solid QB play that presents a threat of a balanced offense will open things up for the RB's, this is football 101!

• Upvote 2

Hall shouldn't play until is 100%.  I hate hearing he'll have a lighter load while he gets to 100%.

He's too good to F around with.  If he can't go 100% he shouldn't be on the field.  

As many have said - there's a good chance he'll never be the same, but we need to do everything possible to allow him to get there.  

• Post of the Week 1

The RB's are solid.  I dont think they needed to add Izzy but he's a one touch home run hitter and you want those type of players in your backfield.  He's got a knack for the endzone too, so I think Hackett will have a ton of options at RB.  The issue last year wasnt MC or Bam when Hall went down, it was the offensive line was terrible and couldnt run block.  Throw in the lack of a passing threat because the QB play was abysmal and then some very very predictable play calling, and the RB's just werent as effective.  The talent is there, for sure.  Wouldnt be shocked to see Bam lead the charge while Hall is getting healthy.  He's a banger and probably a little more reliable down to down.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

The RB's are solid.  I dont think they needed to add Izzy but he's a one touch home run hitter and you want those type of players in your backfield.  He's got a knack for the endzone too, so I think Hackett will have a ton of options at RB.  The issue last year wasnt MC or Bam when Hall went down, it was the offensive line was terrible and couldnt run block.  Throw in the lack of a passing threat because the QB play was abysmal and then some very very predictable play calling, and the RB's just werent as effective.  The talent is there, for sure.  Wouldnt be shocked to see Bam lead the charge while Hall is getting healthy.  He's a banger and probably a little more reliable down to down.

I was surprised by the RB pick. I think his speed and return skills sealed the deal. I could see him being the Jet sweep guy along with Hardman. I expect that he’ll be a guy they create packages for as long as they feel he is ready. He has a real opportunity here with the new staff and some questions (fair or not) around MC1. 

Also think the concern over Breece is likely overboard. Players come back from ACLs better and faster than ever before and, by all accounts, Hall’s either on or ahead of schedule. I’ll happily let the doctors decide what his workload can be. I do think MC1 and Bam battle for the #2 job, with the loser left looking for scraps behind Abanikanda. 

Do agree with the level heads here. Horrendous QB play and a decimated OL left the running game nowhere. Everyone just focused on stopping the Jets’ running attack and letting the QB stop himself. We can’t be that unlucky with the OL again, can we? We have new turf! 

I kind of hope their cautious with him and put him on the PUP list to start the season. Then let him work his way back with 10-12 touches a game with the hope he is close to 100% for December and January. I think the backs we have are capable of being effective those first 6 weeks with a better passing game to help them out.

I am a big fan of the Abanikanda pick.  Maybe I am biased because every year I sift through the RBs looking for THE guy that I think will be a great bargain and this year he was my choice.  Or maybe I am right!  I feel like Carter is more of a 3rd down or change of pace back.  I am not sure what happened to him last year, but I was not impressed after a pretty nice rookie season.  I am hopeful Carter will suck up a ton of catches from Rodgers out of the backfield.  I think Bam is a JAG, but I don't see that as super insulting.  He is a replacement level player.  A fringe guy, but he is not completely undeserving of snaps. 

I would expect to work Hall in slowly.  Let him find his way and I would try to keep his reps down so that he is fresh and ready to hammer down the stretch.  I probably feel like this is possible because I feel that Abanikanda can carry a fairly heavy load.  After somebody gets hurt, general suckage, or if we need to ride Hall for W's this all goes out the window.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I was surprised by the RB pick. I think his speed and return skills sealed the deal. I could see him being the Jet sweep guy along with Hardman. I expect that he’ll be a guy they create packages for as long as they feel he is ready. He has a real opportunity here with the new staff and some questions (fair or not) around MC1. 

Also think the concern over Breece is likely overboard. Players come back from ACLs better and faster than ever before and, by all accounts, Hall’s either on or ahead of schedule. I’ll happily let the doctors decide what his workload can be. I do think MC1 and Bam battle for the #2 job, with the loser left looking for scraps behind Abanikanda. 

Do agree with the level heads here. Horrendous QB play and a decimated OL left the running game nowhere. Everyone just focused on stopping the Jets’ running attack and letting the QB stop himself. We can’t be that unlucky with the OL again, can we? We have new turf! 

It wasnt a surprising pick to me, just simply because I think MC1 and Hall leave some unanswered questions.  The obvious injury question and then w/ MC1, why the regression?  Yes, as I mentioned, the OL play struggled but Bam still had some flashes during the same time MC1 was horrific any time he touched the ball, so the pick, wasnt a surprise per say.

Injuries along the OL seems like a league wide thing and not exclusive to the Jets but I do think they did a great job of adding depth this offseason.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Hall shouldn't play until is 100%.  I hate hearing he'll have a lighter load while he gets to 100%.

He's too good to F around with.  If he can't go 100% he shouldn't be on the field.  

As many have said - there's a good chance he'll never be the same, but we need to do everything possible to allow him to get there.  

I totally agree.  What is the shortest IR, 6 weeks?  What ever it is if they bring him back before that it's hubris and a major & unforgivable mistake.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:23 AM, Beerfish said:

Carter and knight both fell off a cliff when we needed them the most.  They better be ready for camp.  I can see the rookie taking job one until breece is fully ready to go or at least splitting carries.

And which version of our O line was making those huge gaps after Hall went out? If I'm not mistaken, Barry Sanders woulda struggled behind our line from week 8 on.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Izzy, where we got him, might well the the steal of the entire draft.  I would have loved Gibbs at 15 btw but this might be even better.  

On 5/5/2023 at 9:13 AM, Bobby816 said:

Very interested to see how this plays out

Now the question becomes who's our #2 RB.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, slimjasi said:
On 5/5/2023 at 9:23 AM, Beerfish said:

I still expect Breece/MC to be RB1/RB2, but Breece’s recovery is a big X factor 

Its Abanikanda, I'd wager

MC will be fighting for a job this summer (he blew it last year when asked to carry the mail IMO) -- and Z Knight showed that he's a COP back at best, and struggled to provide week to week production in something resembling a featured role.

It's the Hall & Izzy show, as it should be. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paradis said:

Its Abanikanda like by mile, I'd wager

MC will be fighting for a job this summer (he blew it last year when asked to carry the mail IMO) -- and Z Knight showed that he's a COP back at best, and struggled to provide week to week production in something featured role.

It's the Hall & Izzy show, as it should be. 

Do both Carter and Bam make the team?

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Possibly.  Remember they let Ty Johnson go.  They activated Bam when Hall went down, but they carried four with James Robinson for much of the season.  X-factor IMO will be the extra TE and if they want to carry/use a FB.  I am guessing Bam to the practice squad, but don't forget that Travis Dye is a pretty nice prospect too.  He might bump Bam for the fringe spot

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Possibly.  Remember they let Ty Johnson go.  They activated Bam when Hall went down, but they carried four with James Robinson for much of the season.  X-factor IMO will be the extra TE and if they want to carry/use a FB.  I am guessing Bam to the practice squad, but don't forget that Travis Dye is a pretty nice prospect too.  He might bump Bam for the fringe spot

good points, but MC might be the one on the outside looking in if others can provide decent passpro... really disappointed with him down the stretch last year. I'd sooner run it back with Z & Dye if MC doesn't pop this summer