RB Depth Chart

Very interested to see how this plays out.

In Rodgers' MVP years of 2020 and 2021, the RBs of those teams still ran for... 1,851yds in 2020 and 1,602yds in 2021. And in 2021 the RBs had 704yds REC and in 2020 612yds REC. So RBs will get work. I know Hackett wasn't OC in that time, but he was the gold zone guy and had a hand in the offense. So I expect similar RB usage.

In 2021 GB threw the ball 593 times compared to 446 times they rushed.

Breece Hall is a DAWG. How healthy he is come Week 1 will be the question. He was on pace to easily to win OROY before his injury IMO, so let's not forget that. All indications seem to point to that he will be ready to go Week 1. I'm sure given his age and how valuable he is to us, nothing will be rushed to move his timeline back. He will have had pretty much 10 full months to recover from his ACL tear, so I think he should be good to go Week 1. I think if he can play the whole season and get a steady amount of touches... he's a top10 lock possibly even top 5 RB this season.

Now the question becomes who's our #2 RB. We drafted Carter in Round 4 a couple years ago, got Bam as an UDFA last year and now drafted Izzy in the 5th round last week. So there's a lot of young talent to battle it out for snaps and touches. I will state that I think we saw as good of a version as we likely would this year with Carter and Knight given how banged up our OL was when they were splitting carries. So while I think neither was impressive... I am judging that with a curve and would like to assume they'd be better with a better OL in front of them. Even after all of that... I still think I want to see Izzy as our RB2. Has a game nearly identical to that of Breece (just not as good). So it would be nice to give Breece a break and really not have to change a thing for the next man up going in. Both have the size, elusiveness and speed that scares defenses. And with Hall likely missing off season workouts and such. These RBs should get plenty of work with starters to prove themselves. I think the bigger battle should be who gets just a few touches a game as the 3rd guy between Carter and Bam. I can see that battle going either way tbh. I also really like Dye as an UDFA. Nice stash if injuries happen.

The not so good part of this is if Breece isn't healthy come Week 1, what do we do. I imagine we kind or just mix in and out the hot hand between the 3 guys with likely Izzy getting a bit more than the others. But hopefully we don't have to go down this path.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Hackett was the OC? he just didn’t call the plays. 

I still expect Breece/MC to be RB1/RB2, but Breece’s recovery is a big X factor 

ACL tear for RB is usually pretty devastating.  Only 2 guys have had one and not suffered a career setback, Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles. 

I honestly think because his injury was a week 7 injury he starts the year on pup and they sign a veteran street free agent.  

praying I’m wrong but Barkley is a good example of playing the following year but not being himself. 

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

ACL tear for RB is usually pretty devastating.  Only 2 guys have had one and not suffered a career setback, Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles. 

I honestly think because his injury was a week 7 injury he starts the year on pup and they sign a veteran street free agent.  

praying I’m wrong but Barkley is a good example of playing the following year but not being himself. 

The thing with ACLs is the time to recover from surgery (physically) is about 6-9 months (give or take). The rest is mental for the player to trust the knee to make the cuts they did pre-injury. Running straight is easy. You can even continue to do that with the ACL torn. It's the planting and cutting that the athlete needs to be confident in.

Timelines may vary

While it usually takes around 9 months to heal postsurgery, some people may be approved to return to their sport earlier. On the other hand, some people may need closer to 12 months before returning to their sport.

Your timeline largely depends on how well your injury is healing, your strength levels, and your movement function, which can all vary between individuals.

Your physical therapist and surgeon can perform various tests to determine if you’re ready to return to your normal activities, such as an isokinetic quadriceps strength test and hop test.

• Upvote 1

Izzy isn’t a pass catching back. At least he wasn’t in college. He also is not a good pass blocker. I suppose they can work with him but I believe it only makes sense to use him as a change of pace guy, with Michael Carter getting the majority of the RB2 snaps, if Breece is playing. Carter makes the most sense as RB1 if Breece is not ready. Izzy is dynamic but pretty much one dimensional and should return kicks. 

47 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

The thing with ACLs is the time to recover from surgery (physically) is about 6-9 months (give or take). The rest is mental for the player to trust the knee to make the cuts they did pre-injury. Running straight is easy. You can even continue to do that with the ACL torn. It's the planting and cutting that the athlete needs to be confident in.

Timelines may vary

While it usually takes around 9 months to heal postsurgery, some people may be approved to return to their sport earlier. On the other hand, some people may need closer to 12 months before returning to their sport.

Your timeline largely depends on how well your injury is healing, your strength levels, and your movement function, which can all vary between individuals.

Your physical therapist and surgeon can perform various tests to determine if you’re ready to return to your normal activities, such as an isokinetic quadriceps strength test and hop test.

There have been studies done. Even the fantasy football guys are into it. Majority of guys are never the same 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Dalvin Cook also comes to mind, he's been just as dominant since his repair. I agree, probably not best to count on Breece being Breece the first year though.

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I am kind of expecting at this point that Carter isn’t on the opening day roster, either by trade or surprise release. Get the sense the team has soured on him and vice versa.

Not sure how that is possible unless we pick up someone else. He is the only one of the 3 backups that can catch a ball out of the backfield. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Carter and knight both fell off a cliff when we needed them the most.  They better be ready for camp.  I can see the rookie taking job one until breece is fully ready to go or at least splitting carries.

Breece got hurt in the same game as AVT.   After that, the offensive live went from pretty bad to awful.  When we weren't peeling QB;s off the turf, we had running backs getting hit 3 yards behind the line.  Backs never do well when they need to break 2 tackles to get back to the line. The opponents constantly went 8 in the box and our QB's, especially Zach, never made them pay.  

If a back is constantly hit behind the line, you will not have a running game.   There were times when 2 or even 3 were on our side of the ball when the ball was handed off.  Carter is a weapon in space. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Breece Hall is a DAWG. How healthy he is come Week 1 will be the question.

He won't be.  Don't expect him on the field probably for the first six weeks.  That is why we have Zonovan Knight, Michael Carter, and our new back Israel Abanikanda.

Carter and knight both fell off a cliff when we needed them the most.  They better be ready for camp.  I can see the rookie taking job one until breece is fully ready to go or at least splitting carries.

True: It might also have had something to do with being on our 2nd LT, our 4th RG, and our 4th (or 5th) RT. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if there is any correlation between the number of RB's a team has and the overall effectiveness of the offense. Does more=better, or not necessarily? I always seem to remember the 49ers and Chiefs having a truckful of RBs.

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

True: It might also have had something to do with being on our 2nd LT, our 4th RG, and our 4th (or 5th) RT. 

If you are going to make excuses for some players regarding the oline you better include every one including zac wilson.  Both of those players had a chance to step up when needed and neither did a thing.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The OL contributed to their fall offs

Rookie RBs need to prove they can block, can pick up a blitz.  Few come out ready to do so. 

If you are going to make excuses for some players regarding the oline you better include every one including zac wilson.  Both of those players had a chance to step up when needed and neither did a thing.

Dude....COME ON.  You can't possibly expect any backs to do much when we went through about 15 O-linemen last year, not to mention we lost our #1 RB.  Some guys just aren't all-pro's.  That's the way it works.  Too bad we couldn't have all-pro's at every position.  

Carter is a solid RB.  He proved behind a decent line he can be a contributor.  But between 15 o-linemen and a ridiculously large regression of Zach Wilson....O.J. Simpson or Barry Sanders wouldn't have been themselves behind that line.  

And yes, I give Zach some slack for the O-line play.  BUT.....his regression is not entirely on them.  Even when Zach was given time, he couldn't see open receivers.  And when he did, he overthrew them half the time.  

Knight, the last three games of the season, averaged 4.2 / 6.0 / 4.9 in the last three games.  Pretty good considering.  Carter's average slipped considerably.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What does Wilson throwing a screen pass where OL doesn’t matter into the dirt several times fall in this line of thinking?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

He won't be.  Don't expect him on the field probably for the first six weeks.  That is why we have Zonovan Knight, Michael Carter, and our new back Israel Abanikanda.

Where are you getting this from?  All signs point to him being the week 1 starter barring a setback.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I am kind of expecting at this point that Carter isn’t on the opening day roster, either by trade or surprise release. Get the sense the team has soured on him and vice versa.

I think there’s a battle for #2 between MC1 and Bam, and the loser is fourth on the depth chart behind Abanikanda, who they will have packages for. I also think they carry four RBs, regardless of Hall’s recovery schedule. So if he were to not be on the roster, I would guess it meant he lost that battle and they found a RB on the waiver wire they liked better than him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Where are you getting this from?  All signs point to him being the week 1 starter barring a setback.

Hall didn't have his surgery until November.  Recover time is, at least, 8-9 months.  If you go on the high side, that puts him until August.  He will probably need a conditioning stint.  There is no reason to rush him.  We have Carter, Knight, and newly drafted Abanikanda to take the load early.  

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Hall didn't have his surgery until November.  Recover time is, at least, 8-9 months.  If you go on the high side, that puts him until August.  He will probably need a conditioning stint.  There is no reason to rush him.  We have Carter, Knight, and newly drafted Abanikanda to take the load early.  

We will see but according to Breece and the team, he is good to go.  Holding him out the 1st 6 weeks would be dumb if hes ready to go.  There is no way they will do that.

The docs sauly hes good and breece feels good, hes playing.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Very interested to see how this plays out.

In Rodgers' MVP years of 2020 and 2021, the RBs of those teams still ran for... 1,851yds in 2020 and 1,602yds in 2021. And in 2021 the RBs had 704yds REC and in 2020 612yds REC. So RBs will get work. I know Hackett wasn't OC in that time, but he was the gold zone guy and had a hand in the offense. So I expect similar RB usage.

In 2021 GB threw the ball 593 times compared to 446 times they rushed.

Breece Hall is a DAWG. How healthy he is come Week 1 will be the question. He was on pace to easily to win OROY before his injury IMO, so let's not forget that. All indications seem to point to that he will be ready to go Week 1. I'm sure given his age and how valuable he is to us, nothing will be rushed to move his timeline back. He will have had pretty much 10 full months to recover from his ACL tear, so I think he should be good to go Week 1. I think if he can play the whole season and get a steady amount of touches... he's a top10 lock possibly even top 5 RB this season.

Now the question becomes who's our #2 RB. We drafted Carter in Round 4 a couple years ago, got Bam as an UDFA last year and now drafted Izzy in the 5th round last week. So there's a lot of young talent to battle it out for snaps and touches. I will state that I think we saw as good of a version as we likely would this year with Carter and Knight given how banged up our OL was when they were splitting carries. So while I think neither was impressive... I am judging that with a curve and would like to assume they'd be better with a better OL in front of them. Even after all of that... I still think I want to see Izzy as our RB2. Has a game nearly identical to that of Breece (just not as good). So it would be nice to give Breece a break and really not have to change a thing for the next man up going in. Both have the size, elusiveness and speed that scares defenses. And with Hall likely missing off season workouts and such. These RBs should get plenty of work with starters to prove themselves. I think the bigger battle should be who gets just a few touches a game as the 3rd guy between Carter and Bam. I can see that battle going either way tbh. I also really like Dye as an UDFA. Nice stash if injuries happen.

The not so good part of this is if Breece isn't healthy come Week 1, what do we do. I imagine we kind or just mix in and out the hot hand between the 3 guys with likely Izzy getting a bit more than the others. But hopefully we don't have to go down this path.

Personally I think we have to temper out expectations for Hall coming off an ACL injury. Some athletes do not make it back. It’s not only a physical hurdle but a psychological one as well particularly for a running back who has to rely on cutting and taking hits. 

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Im going to pretend Carter’s issues last year was injury related. Had a high ankle sprain which is tough to get back from as a RB.  His year 1 makes little sense otherwise 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will see but according to Breece and the team, he is good to go.  Holding him out the 1st 6 weeks would be dumb if hes ready to go.  There is no way they will do that.

There's degrees of damage, and also it depends on other damage in the knee other than the acl. Don't know but sounds like Breece's wasn't as bad as others. Sounds like his recovery is going really well too. Surely hope so. However if they're cautious it would be understandable.

I'm just hoping that he came out of it all well and that the original injury wasn't as bad as say a more catastrophic injury could be. I guess we'll find out soon enough

Once they lost him and AVT it was over

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

To be fare, only remarkable RBs can overcome a stacked box.  Let's see how things shake out with improved QB play.     

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In the end, even if the doc clears him, it will be up to the coaches. My guess is with all the depth on the team, the Jets will carry 4RBs and ease Hall in. So maybe not IR but I could def imagine cutting down the workload early.

I also think the Jets will run the ball a ton this year. So hopefully as he ramps up we will see Hall take over. 

• Sympathy 1

Have to agree about how defense’s stacked the box with Zack under center. They had no fear of him what so ever. If they try that with AR ,he is going exact a very high price against them. Which of course in turn with finally allow our running game to get going.
It’s my belief that just with MC,Bam and Izzy the difference between this year and last, will be like night and day.
If and when Hall is totally healthy and at full speed our offense is going to be downright scary.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Breece update...Fwiw

Sure would be nice to see Breece come out of that injury cleanly

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/jets-injury-tracker-breece-hall-171951324.html

Jets Injury Tracker: Breece Hall on track to be ready for Week 1

Tue, May 9, 2023 at 1:25 PM EDT·1 min read

May 9, 1:00 p.m.

Breece Hall continues to make great progress as he works his way back from a torn ACL he suffered last season.

While speaking on the Rich Eisen Show on Monday afternoon, Jets head coach Robert Saleh remained optimistic about the star running back’s status for the regular season.

Hall, who has been working out at the team's facility, remains on track to be ready for Week 1.

"He looks good," Saleh said. "It’s almost like we have to slow him down because you want to make sure you pace those things. But he looks powerful, he looks good. He’s putting up good numbers when he’s running, he’s in a really good headspace."

Getting Hall back healthy would be a huge boost for the revamped Jets offense.

He was a big piece for this unit during a strong rookie season. The Iowa State product had begun to break out in the weeks prior to his injury.

Hall had scored a touchdown in four consecutive weeks and was coming off a 20-carry, 116-yard performance in a win over the Green Bay Packers. He finished the year with 80 carries for 463 yards (5.8 yards per attempt) and four touchdowns.

When healthy, he'll join a running back room that now consists of Michael Carter, Zonovan Knight, and fourth-round pick Israel Abanikanda.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:07 PM, Larz said:

Some players tore their ACL in college and went on to have great careers - such as Frank Gore.  Hall has a good chance to recover, but not sure when he will be 100%.  With Carter, Abanikanda, and Knight, I don't see the need for a veteran.  It's a young man's position.