Mike Tomlin comments on Patriots’ sneaky draft move

6 hours ago, jgb said:

If JD made this move we'd be contributing to the GoFundMe for his statue. sh*t happens, GMs job to make lemonade out of lemons. Let's go McD.

Except clearly the Jets had no interest in Jones and wanted McDonald all along.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Except clearly the Jets had no interest in Jones and wanted McDonald all along.  

I know that’s what they said in the press conference but I don’t believe it. Guess I’m not a Real Jets Fan™.

edit: seems flight 23 proves you correct, my bad. The good news then is the trade down cost nothing.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

I know that’s what they said in the press conference but I don’t believe it. Guess I’m not a Real Jets Fan™.

It was on Flight 23. They discussed it during the draft, before the trade. They had McDonald, they Meyer, then Jones. Douglas even predicted the Steelers trade.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

It was on Flight 23. They discussed it during the draft, before the trade. They had McDonald, they Meyer, then Jones. Douglas even predicted the Steelers trade.

Thanks for summarizing! I’ll check it out :)

• Upvote 2

The new narrative is that JD clowned bellichick. He had him so convinced we were taking any of the OT at 15 that bellichick took lesser value for his trade because he thought he was hurting our draft. In reality JD played bellichick and the pats lost out on a better draft pick comp for the trade down...and the Jets still got their guy

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jgb said:

edit: seems flight 23 proves you correct, my bad. The good news then is the trade down cost nothing.

Didn’t say it in a press conference said it on 1JD, filmed in the draft room the night of the draft before the trade and before the pick.  They went around the room calling out their pick for 15 and to a man it was McDonald.  They were afraid someone was taking him before 15.  JD also said that he thought the Pats would trade out and added to Pitt.

Damn, didn’t see you corrected yourself.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:02 AM, jtomm said:
Danny Jaillet
Fri, May 19, 2023 at 5:29 PM EDT

The New England Patriots made a notable move in the draft when trading the 14th overall pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers in exchange for the 17th overall selection.

A fourth-round pick was also included in the deal.

The Patriots got the player they wanted in cornerback Christian Gonzalez. They also managed to make life harder for the AFC East rival New York Jets. With the 14th overall selection, the Steelers selected Broderick Jones from Georgia.Jones was thought to have been a prime selection for New York, as they needed help protecting Aaron Rodgers. After the pick, the Jets ended up taking Iowa State defensive end Will McDonald IV at No. 15.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about this on “The Rich Eisen Show” on Thursday afternoon, and he admitted the Patriots didn’t hesitate in allowing the Steelers to move up on the draft board to get the player projected to the Jets.“I’m not going to delve into the relationship between New England and the Jets. Let’s just say I’m glad we found a partner,” said Tomlin. “…I’ll put it this way: There wasn’t a lot of hesitation on New England’s end.”

New England was able to get their guy in Gonzalez and potentially stopped the Jets from being able to select a priority target. It was a win-win trade for two teams, with the Jets being the ones left in the dust.

>>   https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-tomlin-comments-patriots-sneaky-212935312.html

Which is why JD should have taken Gonzalez to stick it to the Pats.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:04 AM, neckdemon said:

Yeah so the bullsh*t narrative that the Jets panicked after the trade and picked McDonald was false. They wanted McDonald over Jones all along. 

Bullsh*t to the 2nd degree.  JD wanted OT Jones or OT Sko. Think about why it took JD SO LONG, until the final seconds,  to make the pick.  For months they were targeting T Sko and Jones was their fallback guy.   JD was absolutely schooled in this draft.  As good as last years was, this years' draft and what he gave up to get Rodgers was abysmal.  And the primary purpose of this draft was to protect Rodgers and get him more weapons.  Its why Rodgers was sick and tired of the Pack not giving him the assets he needed to win another SB.  SO what does JD do? He drafts yet another DL.  Brilliant. 

11 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Bullsh*t to the 2nd degree.  JD wanted OT Jones or OT Sko. Think about why it took JD SO LONG, until the final seconds,  to make the pick.  For months they were targeting T Sko and Jones was their fallback guy.   JD was absolutely schooled in this draft.  As good as last years was, this years' draft and what he gave up to get Rodgers was abysmal.  And the primary purpose of this draft was to protect Rodgers and get him more weapons.  Its why Rodgers was sick and tired of the Pack not giving him the assets he needed to win another SB.  SO what does JD do? He drafts yet another DL.  Brilliant. 

So you think the Flight 23 war room footage was filmed after the fact?

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

So you think the Flight 23 war room footage was filmed after the fact?

No idea. Probably not. I just think it was all save face type bullsh*t. What are they going to say:  'Oh we effed up and panicked and tried to trade the pick and time was running out and we didn't know who to pick since our primary focus was a blue chip tackle and they were all gone so we were sitting there with our hands on our crotches and just made a senseless pick'.  It would have been more honest. it was an imbecilic pick. There was no need  to take a Huff type clone at 15. Wasn't Huff undrafted? LOL. That just makes it even more absurd.  You take BPA if you lost out on your target and BPA surely wasn't McDuck at 15. 

• Thumb Down 2

On 5/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know about clowning Belichick I just think the whole thing is overblown. The Pats trade down all the time and JD literally saw it coming. 

For me the biggest take away from the whole thing is how incredibly well prepared JD was to be able to predict the Steelers would move up to 14 to take Broderick. I already had a lot of confidence in him but that adds to it quite a bit.

If that's the case then it was stupid for JD to allow it to happen by trading 13 back to 15 AND giving up the 2024 #1 pick when the Pack leaked they weren't insisting on getting a #1 as the drat was getting close.

21 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No idea. Probably not. I just think it was all save face type bullsh*t. What are they going to say:  'Oh we effed up and panicked and tried to trade the pick and time was running out and we didn't know who to pick since our primary focus was a blue chip tackle and they were all gone so we were sitting there with our hands on our crotches and just made a senseless pick'.  It would have been more honest. it was an imbecilic pick. There was no need  to take a Huff type clone at 15. Wasn't Huff undrafted? LOL. That just makes it even more absurd.  You take BPA if you lost out on your target and BPA surely wasn't McDuck at 15. 

IMG_6181.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

If that's the case then it was stupid for JD to allow it to happen by trading 13 back to 15 AND giving up the 2024 #1 pick when the Pack leaked they weren't insisting on getting a #1 as the drat was getting close.

so many things JD had control over and he saw the trade coming. It's almost like he didn't see landing Broderick Jones as high of a priority as people on here insist he did.

35 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Just trying to understand your view here… they panicked so hard they forgot their own rankings and threw a dart at the board?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

so many things JD had control over and he saw the trade coming. It's almost like he didn't see landing Broderick Jones as high of a priority as people on here insist he did.

They have a board and they were comfortable sticking to it.  

When Jones was picked their faces don’t look happy to me and there is 0.00% chance they were going to say they missed who they wanted from the trade back.

If the first pick is a sack master who cares - but I’m not counting on 1JD to put out an accurate story either way.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

They have a board and they were comfortable sticking to it.  

When Jones was picked their faces don’t look happy to me and there is 0.00% chance they were going to say they missed who they wanted from the trade back.

If the first pick is a sack master who cares - but I’m not counting on 1JD to put out an accurate story either way.

them not being happy about missing him, moving to the next guy and panicking and not knowing what to do are two different things though. We know the head of scouting had broderick ranked 3rd of the 3 prospects JD asked him about when pick 13 was about to happen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Big mistake. Had he not traded back, Jones falls into his lap. He took a calculated risk and lost.  There was just no reason to fall back to 15 if he decided to give up a #1 and a #2.

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Big mistake. Had he not traded back, Jones falls into his lap. He took a calculated risk and lost.  There was just no reason to fall back to 15 if he decided to give up a #1 and a #2.

I can buy that JD would have taken Jones over McDonald & Mayer if he were on the board but the scenario you're describing seems just - I'll be nice and say out of the realm of what I see as realistic. IMO he just didn't care about Jones nearly as much as you believe.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I can buy that JD would have taken Jones over McDonald & Mayer if he were on the board but the scenario you're describing seems just - I'll be nice and say out of the realm of what I see as realistic. IMO he just didn't care about Jones nearly as much as you believe.

The major emphasis had to be to protect Rodgers.  Becton, Brown and Mitchell - all coming off injuries. Not to mention Brown is old as stale bread. This was exactly why Rodgers left Green Bay. They didn't support him as well as he felt they should have. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

The major emphasis had to be to protect Rodgers.  Becton, Brown and Mitchell - all coming off injuries. Not to mention Brown is old as stale bread. This was exactly why Rodgers left Green Bay. They didn't support him as well as he felt they should have. 

You can already see Rodgers becoming disgruntled here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

And you’re 100% sure that the Steelers wouldn’t have traded up to 12 if the Jets had stayed at 13?  Because in that scenario, we might have been looking at the same draft outcome (Jones to the Steelers, Jets take McDonald) and an unconsummated Rodgers trade.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

them not being happy about missing him, moving to the next guy and panicking and not knowing what to do are two different things though. We know the head of scouting had broderick ranked 3rd of the 3 prospects JD asked him about when pick 13 was about to happen.

They are pros.  This isn’t a fantasy draft they spent 2 hours on.  

They are comfortable with the board but they don’t want to deal with PR issues.   That’s also part of being a pro.  

In the end they live or die with the draft results and they can be far from perfect and still be very good.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Except he clearly didn’t want Jones.  He didn’t care if he fell into his lap, they weren’t drafting Jones.  

If BB really wanted to stick it to the Jets, he would have stayed at 14 and taken Jones and watch him be his stud LT for 10 years. Instead, he traded down to take a CB. Tells you all you need to know about what he felt about Jones. Seriously doubt he was on JD’s radar either.