Humbled Zach Wilson Meets With Press, Takes Accountability for Past Failures, Positive on Future

On 6/11/2023 at 8:29 AM, Jet Nut said:

Where is the actual proof of him being anti-team and that being his rep?  When he blurted out in a post game that he didn’t feel the O let the D down?  Or when he had WRs fly out to wherever for a week of practice and a good time at a luxury resort.  Or getting teammates together for golf?  
He sucked as the season went on and had to be benched but I don’t remember reading anything about him being anti team.  Everything he said until his stupid post game comments has always been pro team, pro CS etc

He had his issues but being anti team isn’t one I remember.

Saying what he said in the post game can be considered anti-team. It certainly wasn't supportive. The team also went anti-Zach, that is for sure. The remarks by CJ, calling him to make a statement to the team because a lot of guys got angry, the team wearing Mike White T-Shirts, all point to a team that was tired of his act. If this was just a one off, I doubt you get this reaction.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Maxman said:

Him pushing for a trade isn't even in his best interests.

He backs up this year and the Jets pick up his 5th year option.

He looks good in limited spots with no pressure.

Rodgers retires after two seasons and the. Ready or not Zach gets a new contract to be the starting QB here.

Financially this is his best option. So him forcing a trade makes no sense. Besides he also showed that he is happy here now.

Max, the guy is toast in NY. The media and fans will bury him if he plays and looks bad. Zach isn't even Darnold Bad or Baker bad even though those two are close. Zach has been so bad, the team took an anyone except Zach stance going into the season. He was designated a backup even before Rogers was signed. We had no QB and Saleh is telling the media, Zach will not start. Has that even happened before? 

• Upvote 2

I think it's fair to criticize Zack for both his mental lapse play as well as how he handled himself in the media last year. Bottom line is he has a perfect opportunity to reset. Rodger's, who learned a great mental lesson by sitting behind Farve,  and who he says he now has a great relationship with after 3 ego driven frosty competitive years backing him up, seems like the perfect mentor to Zack. 

Looking at the big picture today I have no complaints and see only  one very hopeful great opportunity for this franchise. Zack is secondary but if he matures and corrects by watching greatness.... look out!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Saying what he said in the post game can be considered anti-team. It certainly wasn't supportive. The team also went anti-Zach, that is for sure. The remarks by CJ, calling him to make a statement to the team because a lot of guys got angry, the team wearing Mike White T-Shirts, all point to a team that was tired of his act. If this was just a one off, I doubt you get this reaction.

What he said after the game wasn’t anti team, it was anti admitting he let the team down.  He later apologized to the team, owned up to his poor play.  He F’d up.
The team didn’t go anti Zach, they went all in on MW for sure.  He was playing better than Zach.  Just like the presser last week.  Zach saying he loved Hackett and staff wasn’t a swipe at MLF.   How that becomes the team was “tired of his act” ?  It was a one off and this wasn’t a swipe at anyone.   The headline is Humble Zach Wilson.  As I’ve said, he ducked and has a number of things to work out if he’s going to amount to anything, this presser isn’t one of them or what we should be complaining about

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What he said after the game wasn’t anti team, it was anti admitting he let the team down.  He later apologized to the team, owned up to his poor play.  He F’d up.
The team didn’t go anti Zach, they went all in on MW for sure.  He was playing better than Zach.  Just like the presser last week.  Zach saying he loved Hackett and staff wasn’t a swipe at MLF.   How that becomes the team was “tired of his act” ?  It was a one off and this wasn’t a swipe at anyone.   The headline is Humble Zach Wilson.  As I’ve said, he ducked and has a number of things to work out if he’s going to amount to anything, this presser isn’t one of them or what we should be complaining about

I really don't know how you can say the team wasn't  anti Zach. CJ said it pretty clearly that guys were upset with him and he needed to say something to the team. You can call it what you want but Zach was concerned with how he looked during that post game presser and it upset teammates. He was asked if he felt he let the defense down with his poor play. He could have said we win and lose as a team and probably  nobody says anything but he said No. That isn't  being anti-team but that isn't  exactly one for all and all for one either. This can be construde as Zach being me first which imo, is not a team player or anti-team. Sure this is up for interpretation but I can see how someone draws this conclusion. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't know how you can say the team wasn't  anti Zach. CJ said it pretty clearly that guys were upset with him and he needed to say something to the team. You can call it what you want but Zach was concerned with how he looked during that post game presser and it upset teammates. He was asked if he felt he let the defense down with his poor play. He could have said we win and lose as a team and probably  nobody says anything but he said No. That isn't  being anti-team but that isn't  exactly one for all and all for one either. This can be construde as Zach being me first which imo, is not a team player or anti-team. Sure this is up for interpretation but I can see how someone draws this conclusion. 

And he did say something to the team.  I said he F’d up in that presser.  But he apologized to the team and ate crow in his next presser.  What else do you want?  The only thing I said is it doesn’t mean he’s anti team which you just said. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It’s more than his statement at the press conference.  There must have been stuff going on behind the scenes we didn’t see.  Zach acting like a brat in the locker room and in practices

It’s not his fault he was the second pick in the draft and the idiotic groupthink that got him in that situation.  However, Zach is probably acting like a diva behind closed doors in addition to being a horrible player 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And he did say something to the team.  I said he F’d up in that presser.  But he apologized to the team and ate crow in his next presser.  What else do you want?  The only thing I said is it doesn’t mean he’s anti team which you just said. 

What I said is it is easy to construe what he did as being a me first player which many people would view as anti team. After that Presser, if I recall correctly, Zach did not make a statement to the team until Wed that week. Why did he wait days to make his apology? Imo he was hoping it would just be forgotten. When it wasn't,  he was forced to make a statement. And as far as what do I want? I don't  want anything. Zach is the past as far as I'm concerned. The guy is toast. I look at him as an unrecoverable asset.  The best thing the team could do for him is jist give him his release. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What I said is it is easy to construe what he did as being a me first player which many people would view as anti team. After that Presser, if I recall correctly, Zach did not make a statement to the team until Wed that week. Why did he wait days to make his apology? Imo he was hoping it would just be forgotten. When it wasn't,  he was forced to make a statement. And as far as what do I want? I don't  want anything. Zach is the past as far as I'm concerned. The guy is toast. I look at him as an unrecoverable asset.  The best thing the team could do for him is jist give him his release. 

The problem is the Zach die-hards think he should get another year because Sam Darnold got three full seasons 

But Sam actually had some good to very good games his first 2 seasons in the nfl with no supporting cast.  Zach Wilson has yet to have one good game in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s more than his statement at the press conference.  There must have been stuff going on behind the scenes we didn’t see.  Zach acting like a brat in the locker room and in practices

It’s not his fault he was the second pick in the draft and the idiotic groupthink that got him in that situation.  However, Zach is probably acting like a diva behind closed doors in addition to being a horrible player 

Yeah, there were comments made that he was a bit of an A-hole. That's  what I meant that this probably wasn't a one off. If it was, I doubt it would have garnered the reaction from the team that it did. 

5 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The problem is the Zach die-hards think he should get another year because Sam Darnold got three full seasons 

But Sam actually had some good to very good games his first 2 seasons in the nfl with no supporting cast.  Zach Wilson has yet to have one good game in the NFL.

No one thinks he should get more time because Darnold had 3 years.

Hes sucked overallbut if you haven’t seen it one good game you’re just piling on

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, jgb said:

What a call. 

Michael Jordan Dunk GIF by NBA

If/when I win this bet @Hal N of Provo new sig will be “I fell in love with BYU Zach Wilson but all I got was NFL airbrushed Jimmy Clausen.”

If Steve Young calls for the trade I’ll put it on that day through the end of the season. 

(including  a more gentle mention like saying “it would be best if…)

25 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If Steve Young calls for the trade I’ll put it on that day through the end of the season. 

(including  a more gentle mention like saying “it would be best if…)

Whoa there sticky Willy the bet was for Young to call for Jets to let Wilson go. As in free him “to go somewhere he has a future.” Could be a trade could also be he advocates for him to be cut or put on practice squad to be “available if someone else wants to give the kid a legitimate shot to have a future.” Point is the bet is that Young will advocate for him to be off the Jets before trade deadline.

• Haha 1

Never wanted him, didn’t like the pedigree or thin lower half , loved Justin Fields, that being said, he showed me enough at times, both seasons, to suggest he can be a successful starting NFL QB , I would hve stuck with him and the program, Woody didn’t want to, so we are where we are, maybe it will work out , maybe not but in either event, I expect to see ZW on the field this season in a jets uniform.

14 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Never wanted him, didn’t like the pedigree or thin lower half , loved Justin Fields, that being said, he showed me enough at times, both seasons, to suggest he can be a successful starting NFL QB , I would hve stuck with him and the program, Woody didn’t want to, so we are where we are, maybe it will work out , maybe not but in either event, I expect to see ZW on the field this season in a jets uniform.

This post started so well, then…

trainwreck GIF

• Haha 2

... just back from a business trip ... Let me get caught up ...

Jgb, Thornburgh, Jetsfan80 and Cowbell still disgusted with Zach ... Hal n Provo is still hopeful and supportive ... Tuscany is trying to avoid slipping into the bog of stench ... Maxman is playing the mindful objective mediator ...

Ok phew .. I didn't miss much ... Thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No one thinks he should get more time because Darnold had 3 years.

Hes sucked overallbut if you haven’t seen it one good game you’re just piling on

Name the “good” games Zach Wilson has had so far.  I’m not talking about games he handed off to Breece Hall I’m talking about over 300 yards passing and/or 3 or more passing touchdowns 

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Name the “good” games Zach Wilson has had so far.  I’m not talking about games he handed off to Breece Hall I’m talking about over 300 yards passing and/or 3 or more passing touchdowns 

Tenn, Fins, Steelers?  GB?  Not a lot for sure but certainly not 0.  You don’t have to have 300 yards and 3 TDs to have played well.  Especially as a rookie or 2nd year player who missed time.

Reminds me of when people used to rag Josh Allen, claim he sucked because he didn’t throw for 300 yards through 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

If we took Fields, we probably are still starting him instead of Rogers. 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

None by that standard!

But being super generous I'd call these "good" games:

• Titans (Oct 3, 2021; 27-24 W):  297 yards, 2 TDs/1 INT, 1 Fumble (0 lost), 97.3 QB Rating, 8.7 YPA
  • Dolphins (Oct 9, 2022; 40-17 W):  210 yards, 0 TDs/0 INTs, 1 Rushing TD, 99.3 QB Rating, 10.0 YPA

Borderline good game:

• Lions (Dec 18, 2022; 20-17 L):  317 yards, 2 TDs/1 INT, 89.8 QB Rating, 9.1 YPA

The Lions game doesn't quite make the cut because: 

1. We lost
  2. We lost in large part due to Zach (terrible INT in the 3rd Q; three 3-and-outs including 2 in the 2nd half; took a terrible sack on the final possession)
  3. The Lions defense was godawful so 17 points of offense against them was not good enough.  Yeah, Zuerlein missed a 58-yarder to prevent the game from going to OT.  That's not a reasonable expectation for a Kicker.  And even then, 20 points of offense in regulation also wouldn't have been good enough.

So that's it.  End of list.  2 good games by NFL QB standards.  1 borderline good game.  Out of 22 starts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None by that standard!

But being super generous I'd call these "good" games:

• Titans (Oct 3, 2021; 27-24 W):  297 yards, 2 TDs/1 INT, 1 Fumble (0 lost), 97.3 QB Rating, 8.7 YPA
  • Dolphins (Oct 9, 2022; 40-17 W):  210 yards, 0 TDs/0 INTs, 1 Rushing TD, 99.3 QB Rating, 10.0 YPA

Borderline good game:

• Lions (Dec 18, 2022; 20-17 L):  317 yards, 2 TDs/1 INT, 89.8 QB Rating, 9.1 YPA

The Lions game doesn't quite make the cut because:  1) We lost; 2) We lost in large part due to several crucial terrible drives by Zach late in the game (terrible INT, taking a bad sack to end a lousy 3-and-out, etc); 3) The Lions defense was godawful. 

So that's it.  End of list.  2 good games by NFL QB standards.  1 borderline good game.  Out of 22 starts. 

2.5? More than I thought maybe the good kid has a chance after all.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

2.5? More than I thought maybe the good kid has a chance after all.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ayuda Leo Harlem GIF by Movistar Plus+

Zach looks like a pro QB roughly 12 % of the time.  Sounds about right.  Probably too generous.  That works out to about 2 possessions per game.  lol.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm as interested today in what Zach Wilson has to say as I was in what Brooke Bollinger had to say in 2005.

Just like children, backup QB's should be seen, but not heard.

Amazing how people are sucked in by words. “Oh, look, he’s turned the corner.”

I wish I could select juries from JN posters.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

... just back from a business trip ... Let me get caught up ...

Jgb, Thornburgh, Jetsfan80 and Cowbell still disgusted with Zach ... Hal n Provo is still hopeful and supportive ... Tuscany is trying to avoid slipping into the bog of stench ... Maxman is playing the mindful objective mediator ...

Ok phew .. I didn't miss much ... Thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mostly correct. Except I’m disgusted by Zach’s performance. My feelings on him as a human are irrelevant.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Tenn, Fins, Steelers?  GB?  Not a lot for sure but certainly not 0.  You don’t have to have 300 yards and 3 TDs to have played well.  Especially as a rookie or 2nd year player who missed time.

Reminds me of when people used to rag Josh Allen, claim he sucked because he didn’t thro for 300 yards through 3 seasons.

Yes just as I thought.  You have zero quantitative evidence to support your undying Zach Wilson loyalty