Humbled Zach Wilson Meets With Press, Takes Accountability for Past Failures, Positive on Future

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Now explain how he’s not a team guy.  Because of one guy saying he’s not the most likable guy.  Especially when he says he could see how he could rub people the wrong way and that he likes Zach 

"I like Zach Wilson, but I can see comments about how he carries himself, a sense of arrogance. I could see how it could rub people the wrong way. 

3 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Don’t care.

Zach’s football mind is likely already fried, similar to Darnold.  I don’t see him coming back.  As time passes we may be forgetting just how abysmal he has performed.  He’s been so bad you’d be hard pressed to even call it quarterbacking.  In a better functioning world he’d be off the team or out of the league because of it.

The best thing for him would be to not touch a football field for two years, but at that point he’ll essentially be a rookie again when he’ll be due a 2nd contract.

Maybe.  But maybe Darnold is just getting started after all of the craziness in his career.  And maybe Zach needs time to figure things out.

Who could've ever predicted Geno Smith would do what he's done.  QB is extremely hard to play and to predict.

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s just it, there is no evidence that he’s not a team guy.  If there was evidence it would be easy to find, yet nothing.  As you said it’s your opinion.  
I assume you’re talking faith by the CS that he can turn it around because I’ve never said I have faith that he will.  I do think they see he’s athletic enough, has the above average arm, can make all the throws but needs to learn the game and get his confidence to where it has to be to play his position.  Jamarcus was a lazy pig who let himself go and did nothing to improve while all acknowledge that Zach is a tireless worker who wants to improve. 

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:
7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Now explain how he’s not a team guy.  Because of one guy saying he’s not the most likable guy.  Especially when he says he could see how he could rub people the wrong way and that he likes Zach 

"I like Zach Wilson, but I can see comments about how he carries himself, a sense of arrogance. I could see how it could rub people the wrong way. 

I wouldn't be surprised if teammates saw him as "not the most likable guy".  It was pretty obvious how much they loved Mike White.  

But I bet if ZW fights through adversity and plays well that they'll suddenly like and respect him a whole lot more.  

17 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The most condensed sig line of pain is all we are going for here.  Something not mean but that will make you throw up in your mouth every time you see it.  

Bring it, Hiram. 😉 

• Haha 2

I read a tweet from Sabo evaluating him and he said he still had some of the traits he displayed last year... indecisive, high throws, etc.  Personally, if , and that is a big if in my mind, he makes it we will have a good QB... if not just another bust in a long line of QB busts that had all the potential, arm talent, etc. that sucked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if teammates saw him as "not the most likable guy".  It was pretty obvious how much they loved Mike White.  

But I bet if ZW fights through adversity and plays well that they'll suddenly like and respect him a whole lot more.  

Teammates always love the QB who they think can win.  When MW stepped in as starter it was a forgone conclusion that Zach couldn’t win, lost confidence.  If Zach gets another chance and stops the dumb mistakes, stops being a big reason for losses his teammates will love him.  Teammates over a long period of time loved Tom Brady, the poster boy for arrogant dueshes 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We’ll find out a lot about Wilson this preseason, where he should be getting a lions share of the work in games.  We’ll see how his apparent tireless work ethic paid off this off-season when he gets to play against some backups.

• Upvote 1

I don't see it as a disaster if Zach plays in 2023. When they had a decent running game with Breece last year he was able and willing to be a game manager. The team had a winning record. Can he fix key problems he had last season esp ineffectiveness in the short passing game. It seems to be something fixable. He was drafted high because of big arm something he still has. He's a good athlete and can run something most NFL offenses do a lot. Plus he's being tutored by Rodgers you'd think that would help a lot if he has to play. But last year he was tutored by Flacco and regressed. And couldn't figure out complicated defenses like NEP. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We’ll find out a lot about Wilson this preseason, where he should be getting a lions share of the work in games.  We’ll see how his apparent tireless work ethic paid off this off-season when he gets to play against some backups.

I don’t know what we’ll see.  If the defenses don’t make him go through the reads he might look great and it’s not showing anything.   

Or he might be breaking things down and rebuilding and look really bad and have it be great progress.  I’ve coached kids in football basketball and baseball.   The summer kids go from a kid shot to a real shot is an example of that.  Bad habits sneak through with muscle memory and quick reactions for a while.  It often looks it’s worst right before you get it right.  The parents in the stands think jr sucks when he has a perfect shot with the guide hand in the the wrong spot  and it airballs by 2 feet lol.  

Im going to have fun watching the Jets this year though.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t know what we’ll see.  If the defenses don’t make him go through the reads he might look great and it’s not showing anything.   

Or he might be breaking things down and rebuilding and look really bad and have it be great progress.  I’ve coached kids in football basketball and baseball.   The summer kids go from a kid shot to a real shot is an example of that.  Bad habits sneak through with muscle memory and quick reactions for a while.  

Im going to have fun watching the Jets this year though.  

We’ll see how much work he’s put in this off-season pretty quickly. 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Teammates always love the QB who they think can win.  When MW stepped in as starter it was a forgone conclusion that Zach couldn’t win, lost confidence.  If Zach gets another chance and stops the dumb mistakes, stops being a big reason for losses his teammates will love him.  Teammates over a long period of time loved Tom Brady, the poster boy for arrogant dueshes 

Yes no one cares ultimately if a guy “is a good kid.” It’s utterly irrelevant. Is he a player, or not? That’s all that matters.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Zach needs a complete rebuild. He's been in the NFL for 2 seasons and has 22 starts. He can throw deep and those plays will be open at times esp if there is protection. The big challenge for him is managing the short passing game which is the main stay of the offense. If he constantly over throws receivers under 20 yards he'll be in a lot of trouble. You'd think Zach in practice will need a world of repetition to improve accuracy. I'm not sure how the BYU offense operated with him but over the years they've been a big play offense. He can manage the running game effectively he did it last year. Plus can he read defenses and consistently move an offense. His probs weren't really picks and turnovers it was the above. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think Zach needs a complete rebuild. He's been in the NFL for 2 seasons and has 22 starts. He can throw deep and those plays will be open at times esp if there is protection. The big challenge for him is managing the short passing game which is the main stay of the offense. If he constantly over throws receivers under 20 yards he'll be in a lot of trouble. You'd think Zach in practice will need a world of repetition to improve accuracy. I'm not sure how the BYU offense operated with him but over the years they've been a big play offense. He can manage the running game effectively he did it last year. Plus can he read defenses and consistently move an offense. His probs weren't really picks and turnovers it was the above. 

In college it seemed he would dirt a short throw or screen every game.   But he was flirting with NCAA accuracy records.  This got worse.  

In college he’d play his best on critical moments.   This is still a trait.  

I think he’s seeing his first read is open and throwing it right when it’s there.  When it’s not there sometimes he waits on it too long and gets unsure.  

In college he was a tape junky and he knew the defense to a level I don’t think is possible at the NFL level.  He’s had really bad coaching - MiLF went from trying to throw everything at him to cheating and not running a real system.

So now it is a rebuild and Zach has someone who in a few small comments a week can give him what he needs.  

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

For as long as Rodgers stay healthy, absolutely.

Rodgers is a durable guy who seems to relish playing through pain.  

Part of having a FQB is accepting there is a huge drop off if they go down.  It’s not a plug and play position.  I’d rather see Zach in week 9 than Teddy Bridgewater.   I believe in coaching players up and I’d take the higher ceiling all day.  

• Upvote 1

I went to a BYU game vs Utah Tech this past Nov and most of the offense for both teams was long passes I think 4 or 5 for TDS in the first half. Jaren Hall was the BYU Qb he was drafted by the Vikings but I can see Zach flourishing in that kind of offense but not sure how it works in the NFL. Btw Provo is a real nice town esp the downtown area with all the restaurants etc. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I went to a BYU game vs Utah Tech this past Nov and most of the offense for both teams was long passes I think 4 or 5 for TDS at least in the first half. Jared Hall was the BYU Qb he was drafted by the Vikings but I can see Zach flourishing in that kind of offense but not sure how it works in the NFL. Btw Provo is a real nice town esp the downtown area with all the restaurants etc. 

Provo a real nice town?  

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

In a great location close to some elite outdoors stuff sure.  

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Part of having a FQB is accepting there is a huge drop off if they go down.  It’s not a plug and play position.  I’d rather see Zach in week 9 than Teddy Bridgewater.   I believe in coaching players up and I’d take the higher ceiling all day.  

Unsurprisingly I disagree completely. This is an all-in year. I’d feel a lot better about Teddy. No time for rehabilitation exercises on the field IMHO.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:37 PM, jgb said:

Said for months he has no choice but to play good soldier because of the anti-team rep he’s built up. Just wait for his proxy warriors to take his case to the press once the season approaches.

Not this year.  Maybe next year they start talking to the press. 

13 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The most condensed sig line of pain is all we are going for here.  Something not mean but that will make you throw up in your mouth every time you see it.  

Something that makes people think I love Zach would achieve that effect 

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

We’ll see how much work he’s put in this off-season pretty quickly. 

I would like to see one report of the off season training Zach Wilson put in-where it was, who it was with, who was he throwing to.  All I saw was wakeboarding. 

15 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

109D338C-7CD4-4896-9716-0308807BAA89.thumb.jpeg.e0fd4a6f14447aa1295a933740e1c6ee.jpeg

57 minutes ago, varjet said:

I would like to see one report of the off season training Zach Wilson put in-where it was, who it was with, who was he throwing to.  All I saw was wakeboarding. 

He works harder than anyone find a new slant