Humbled Zach Wilson Meets With Press, Takes Accountability for Past Failures, Positive on Future

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Said for months he has no choice but to play good soldier because of the anti-team rep he’s built up. Just wait for his proxy warriors to take his case to the press once the season approaches.

Where is the actual proof of him being anti-team and that being his rep?  When he blurted out in a post game that he didn’t feel the O let the D down?  Or when he had WRs fly out to wherever for a week of practice and a good time at a luxury resort.  Or getting teammates together for golf?  
He sucked as the season went on and had to be benched but I don’t remember reading anything about him being anti team.  Everything he said until his stupid post game comments has always been pro team, pro CS etc

He had his issues but being anti team isn’t one I remember.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where is the actual proof of him being anti-team and that being his rep?  When he blurted out in a post game that he didn’t feel the O let the D down?  Or when he had WRs fly out to wherever for a week of practice and a good time at a luxury resort.  Or getting teammates together for golf?  
He sucked as the season went on and had to be benched but I don’t remember reading anything about him being anti team.  Everything he said until his stupid post game comments has always been pro team, pro CS etc

He had his issues but being anti team isn’t one I remember.

I don’t have to prove an opinion—supported as it is. We will see if his proxies start chirping as the season approaches and if my prediction is correct.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think he’s shot, at least in New York. I forget whether is was Greg Cosell or the QB school guy, but they broke down the Pats and Lions game and pointed out that Zach had simply stopped running the plays altogether and tried turning everything into a scramble drill, which is part of why he became unplayable at the end of the year—they couldn’t even count on him to execute the most basic, fundamental parts of the game. I’m sure Rodgers likes him because Rodgers likes to have non-threatening sycophants backing him up, and getting $10 million to cheerlead for Rodgers ain’t that bad a deal for a year. Next year, he’ll be 24 years old, on another team, with some dimwit OC who’ll think that they found a diamond in the rough who just spent a season learning from Rodgers. 

If JD could get something — anything — back for the pleasure of unloading the last year of his contract, would be a welcomed miracle. I hope they design the pre-season offense specifically to puff him up.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don’t have to prove an opinion—supported as it is. We will see if his proxies start chirping as the season approaches and if my prediction is correct.

Oh, so it’s just your opinion, that’s fine.  

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

If JD could get something — anything — back for the pleasure of unloading the last year of his contract, would be a welcomed miracle. I hope they design the pre-season offense specifically to puff him up.

I think that horse has left the barn because it’s unlikely anyone would pay anything of value for him, Douglas wants to protect his draftees, and Rodgers has taken Zach under his wing. Also, the backup QB market is dry as a bone. My surprise is that Team Wilson hasn’t pushed harder to exfiltrate him out of New Jersey. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that horse has left the barn because it’s unlikely anyone would pay anything of value for him, Douglas wants to protect his draftees, and Rodgers has taken Zach under his wing. Also, the backup QB market is dry as a bone. My surprise is that Team Wilson hasn’t pushed harder to exfiltrate him out of New Jersey. 

They will start as season nears, especially if there is a QB injury somewhere…

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Oh, so it’s just your opinion, that’s fine.  

I didn’t pull it out of the ether, either, but the basis for it is known by all and if you don’t find that sufficiently persuasive, me repeating it won’t change your mind. :) 

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’ll take a 25 dollar American Red Cross on that one?  Before Week 1 kick proxies will/ or will not start chirping to get Zach out is the bet? 

If we both both agree one way or the other it gets paid or if not it’s push.  Tough to define.  

The proxies were clearly going full force last season - so I think it will be obvious if it happens, but no pressure to conform for either of us if we don’t see it the same way.  

I think Zach is happy to learn from Rodgers.  He had 2 rough seasons with laughable coaching.  This is a chance to learn from the guy he modeled his game after.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Alex G said:

The entire league would be mocking Zach if he took that approach. Sure, he could’ve technically skipped OTAs but outside of Quinnen (contract situation), Corey Davis (wife had a baby), and Mims (who knows), everybody up and down the roster attended OTAs so that would’ve been an awful look. The reality is he has next to no trade value now and therefore unless he wanted to step away from the game and in turn give back all his remaining guaranteed money, his only choice was to accept any role.

I think he has trade value but obviously at it's lowest so far in his career. There's a shortage of NFL caliber Qbs and he has 22 starts and not all of them were bad games. Look maybe Zach is telling the truth in that he sees this as a learning experience with Rodgers similar to what AR had with Favre at the beginning of his career. On the other hand it's not easy for a starter to lose his job and become a backup. I'm still not sure how long Zach will be on the Jets there are cap ramifications but would the Jets trade him if they got the opp? 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Who, pray tell, are these proxies you speak of?  Posters on this site?  His parents?  Who?  Sounds like a paranoid delusion to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Him pushing for a trade isn't even in his best interests.

He backs up this year and the Jets pick up his 5th year option.

He looks good in limited spots with no pressure.

Rodgers retires after two seasons and the. Ready or not Zach gets a new contract to be the starting QB here.

Financially this is his best option. So him forcing a trade makes no sense. Besides he also showed that he is happy here now.

• More Ugh 1

He’s just running out the clock at this point. No one is happier to not be playing football right now than Zach Wilson. All he has to do is sit back, cash checks, and wait until he can quietly Josh Rosen his way onto the Niners.

I think he’s shot, at least in New York. I forget whether is was Greg Cosell or the QB school guy, but they broke down the Pats and Lions game and pointed out that Zach had simply stopped running the plays altogether and tried turning everything into a scramble drill, which is part of why he became unplayable at the end of the year—they couldn’t even count on him to execute the most basic, fundamental parts of the game. I’m sure Rodgers likes him because Rodgers likes to have non-threatening sycophants backing him up, and getting $10 million to cheerlead for Rodgers ain’t that bad a deal for a year. Next year, he’ll be 24 years old, on another team, with some dimwit OC who’ll think that they found a diamond in the rough who just spent a season learning from Rodgers. 

All of Zach’s “highlights” are basically scramble bombs where the corner falls down or gets tripped up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Don’t care.

Zach’s football mind is likely already fried, similar to Darnold.  I don’t see him coming back.  As time passes we may be forgetting just how abysmal he has performed.  He’s been so bad you’d be hard pressed to even call it quarterbacking.  In a better functioning world he’d be off the team or out of the league because of it.

The best thing for him would be to not touch a football field for two years, but at that point he’ll essentially be a rookie again when he’ll be due a 2nd contract.

• Upvote 2

I would think team Wilson is extremely happy with the Rodgers scenario at least their kid gets to play with his child hood idol. If he learns anything it’s a win either way. I think that’s the best they can hope for, unless he fails under AR, then it’s time to hide in the caves of Utah. 

• Haha 1

If he was truly humbled he would be on a journey for true self awareness.  This would include spending years in a budhist monastary,  cognative therapy, psychotherapy, humanistic psychology and last but not least a couple of years on a comune tripping his ass off on LSD.  

Saying all the right things is simply a ploy, which may include "Tanya Harding" Rodgers to get back his starting job. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I didn’t pull it out of the ether, either, but the basis for it is known by all and if you don’t find that sufficiently persuasive, me repeating it won’t change your mind. :) 

Exactly.  I don’t find it persuasive or known by all.  But that’s just me just needing actual proof

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I’ll take a 25 dollar American Red Cross on that one?  Before Week 1 kick proxies will/ or will not start chirping to get Zach out is the bet? 

If we both both agree one way or the other it gets paid or if not it’s push.  Tough to define.  

The proxies were clearly going full force last season - so I think it will be obvious if it happens, but no pressure to conform for either of us if we don’t see it the same way.  

I think Zach is happy to learn from Rodgers.  He had 2 rough seasons with laughable coaching.  This is a chance to learn from the guy he modeled his game after.

Very tough to define. Don’t want to get in a game whether someone who opines Jets should free Zach is a “proxy,” or not. Because some will voice the opinion sure as rain on a camping trip.

2 hours ago, GandWFan said:

Who, pray tell, are these proxies you speak of?  Posters on this site?  His parents?  Who?  Sounds like a paranoid delusion to me.

No. Not anyone on this site. Steve Young is the major one. There are others.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  I don’t find it persuasive or known by all.  But that’s just me just needing actual proof

Don’t confuse discounting the evidence—which is your right—from it not existing.

But since we are talking about evidence, sure would love to see your evidence for continued faith in Zach, who has put up Jamarcus Russell’s numbers his first two seasons.

7 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Fair 

How about a signature bet that Steve Young will opine Jets should send Zach elsewhere before the trade deadline?

Null bet if Rodgers misses serious time and Zach becomes starter.

Honor system.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

How about a signature bet that Steve Young will opine Jets should send Zach elsewhere before the trade deadline?

Honor system.

I don’t know. I think everyone is satisfied with Wilson being a backup right now. Gets paid the same. I’m sure he’ll end up back west permanently after this season. There are a lot of flaws with Wislon as a player, but he seems like the guy that isn’t bothered by being a backup. 

• More Ugh 1

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Honor system.

That’s tougher lol.  Week 1 seemed safe. 

I think once Zach feels like he’s fixed the issues it might change the game.  95% of guys would shoot their way out in that position.  

John Beck said last year he didn’t think Zach could force his way off the team during the season - this year it would be easy.  Just be a distraction and he’s gone.  

Zach hated MiLF but might hate Saleh too.  Jerseys etc… he seems to like everyone left though…

I don’t think he’ll shoot his way out over playing time this year but If he decides he doesn’t like the Jets org he might.

@jgb

I still don’t think he’ll try to shoot his way out although I think the large majority of players would.  

“The NFL trade deadline for 2023 is yet to be announced. However, the league trade deadline is typically on the Tuesday after Week 8 of the season, and that has been the case since 2012.”

In.  

A 1 line sig from the trade deadline to the end of the season.  Steve Young advocating trading Zach by the trade deadline.  

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don’t confuse discounting the evidence—which is your right—from it not existing.

But since we are talking about evidence, sure would love to see your evidence for continued faith in Zach, who has put up Jamarcus Russell’s numbers his first two seasons.

That’s just it, there is no evidence that he’s not a team guy.  If there was evidence it would be easy to find, yet nothing.  As you said it’s your opinion.  
I assume you’re talking faith by the CS that he can turn it around because I’ve never said I have faith that he will.  I do think they see he’s athletic enough, has the above average arm, can make all the throws but needs to learn the game and get his confidence to where it has to be to play his position.  Jamarcus was a lazy pig who let himself go and did nothing to improve while all acknowledge that Zach is a tireless worker who wants to improve. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s just it, there is no evidence that he’s not a team guy.  If there was evidence it would be easy to find, yet nothing.  As you said it’s your opinion.  
I assume you’re talking faith by the CS that he can turn it around because I’ve never said I have faith that he will.  I do think they see he’s athletic enough, has the above average arm, can make all the throws but needs to learn the game and get his confidence to where it has to be to play his position.  Jamarcus was a lazy pig who let himself go and did nothing to improve while all acknowledge that Zach is a tireless worker who wants to improve. 

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-teammate-zach-wilson-likable-lamar-jackson

16 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

@jgb

I still don’t think he’ll try to shoot his way out although I think the large majority of players would.  

“The NFL trade deadline for 2023 is yet to be announced. However, the league trade deadline is typically on the Tuesday after Week 8 of the season, and that has been the case since 2012.”

In.  

A 1 line sig from the trade deadline to the end of the season.  Steve Young advocating trading Zach by the trade deadline.  

Ok deal :) again if Rodgers goes down and Zach is starting, push.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like I said a recitation of the obvious (to me, at least) won’t sway you so it’s wasted effort for both of us.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t know. I think everyone is satisfied with Wilson being a backup right now. Gets paid the same. I’m sure he’ll end up back west permanently after this season. There are a lot of flaws with Wislon as a player, but he seems like the guy that isn’t bothered by being a backup. 

He has no choice right now. His brand has taken a major hit. I’d actually think even lower of him than I do now if he’s satisfied being a backup.

9 hours ago, jgb said:

, it’s time to give the kid his freedom by trading him for whatever they can get and let him have a fair shake somewhere else.”

Be careful calling him a kid, there is a poster on this site that may be looking to thunderstomp you. Oh wait 🤔

• Haha 1