JN Goes Fishing (Catch a Fish, Post a Pic Thread)

I do a terrible job of taking pictures of fish we catch.   I also knock the heads off and clean them as soon as they come off the stringer, so the pictures of our fish are all crap.  I’ll try and get better pictures for the thread - unless I forget.  We usually fish in the Gulf.   Black drum, red drum, and sea trout mostly.  

From freshwater, here are some rainbow trout me and my sons caught.   We all just keep 1.   The guy in the middle is the biggest trout I’ve caught - but I don’t remember how big he was lol.   3295F418-FD99-4935-8ED8-5B7F03D37890.thumb.jpeg.454f64bf19faa66078dba92ef13bafa6.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hal said:

I do a terrible job of taking pictures of fish we catch.   I also knock the heads off and clean them as soon as they come off the stringer, so the pictures of our fish are all crap.  I’ll try and get better pictures for the thread - unless I forget.  We usually fish in the Gulf.   Black drum, red drum, and sea trout mostly.  

From freshwater, here are some rainbow trout me and my sons caught.   We all just keep 1.   The guy in the middle is the biggest trout I’ve caught - but I don’t remember how big he was lol.   3295F418-FD99-4935-8ED8-5B7F03D37890.thumb.jpeg.454f64bf19faa66078dba92ef13bafa6.jpeg

Love trout 

• Upvote 2

Cool to see all the fish everyone has caught.

I used to go fishing all the time with my dad when I was a kid (mostly small/large mouth bass in lakes and sandsharks off the pier at the beach).

One year I was, I dunno somewhere between 10 and 14 I was with my uncle and we were camping somewhere in southern Oregon I think. We woke up and got our fishing poles and started to walk down to the lake that we were at when my hook got loose from the loop it was hooked on. I tried to catch it to put it back but I ended up hooking my thumb. My uncle tried for what felt like hours to just pull it out with some pliers but eventually gave up and drove me over a hundred miles to the nearest hospital where they numbed my hand and cut the hook out. Not gonna lie the whole experience was a little traumatizing and I haven't fished since even though I really miss it.

I think I might have a picture of me as a kid with a fish somewhere lol. If I can find it I'll take a picture of the picture and upload it later.

• Upvote 3

Rough go at Surf City NC, weather was just too damn hot for daytime fishing.

Only catch was this rather sizeable Pinfish.  Bait, really, but bigger than most Pinfish I've seen before, so at least there was that.

(Lagodon is a genus of saltwater fish in the family Sparidae, the breams and porgies. It is monotypic, being represented by the single species Lagodon rhomboides, commonly known as pinfish. The pinfish is a small fish, growing only to about 4.5 in (11.4 cm). - Wikipedia)

2023-07-28SurfCityPierNC-Pinfish.thumb.jpg.6b3c9da2f3be7426fa9e3c5fd304cf5c.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 7/31/2023 at 8:00 PM, Warfish said:

Rough go at Surf City NC, weather was just too damn hot for daytime fishing.

Only catch was this rather sizeable Pinfish.  Bait, really, but bigger than most Pinfish I've seen before, so at least there was that.

(Lagodon is a genus of saltwater fish in the family Sparidae, the breams and porgies. It is monotypic, being represented by the single species Lagodon rhomboides, commonly known as pinfish. The pinfish is a small fish, growing only to about 4.5 in (11.4 cm). - Wikipedia)

2023-07-28SurfCityPierNC-Pinfish.thumb.jpg.6b3c9da2f3be7426fa9e3c5fd304cf5c.jpg

I catch pins all the time. Your right that ones a wee bigger than usual. I have fried them and eaten them as well. Taste good, but lots of sharp bones

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 4:30 PM, JiF said:

Thanks, I was goin to share the Flounder I caught.  Never mind. 

I’ll fish 2 hours tonight and post my best catch.   It will probably be a 1.5inch pin fish below @Warfish Frankenstein Pin above and you can use the laughter as a screen to post yours lol.  

8B81375D-3304-4EEB-AEDF-21C44DF56A30.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Tight lines my friend, good luck.

Plenty of croaker right away.  I was hoping for some reds, but there was no traveling up the food chain today.

Dog fish are weird.   I still like seeing them lol.

I’ll bring a crab trap next time I fish there.   I tried to fish the croaker cut at the end, but it felt like a crab disco broke out down there as soon as I tried lol.

98D1643B-70ED-43CA-8629-B04948D64C6B.jpeg

26BDF9CC-431E-4B33-94B2-2E359332CCC4.jpeg

• Upvote 3

On 8/20/2023 at 5:30 PM, JiF said:

Thanks, I was goin to share the Flounder I caught.  Never mind. 

Here, I'll make you feel better, then you can share (cause I'd love for you to share!):

I present, the worlds smallest Flounder taken on rod and reel......(OBX, 2008)

2008-08-22-OuterBanksPier-WoldsSmallestFlounder.thumb.jpg.c9efa707d648450eda8bb58f45a4e66a.jpg

• Haha 3

10704.thumb.jpeg.1911894eb80bb8674cff0d170181fb06.jpeg

2014…. free lining a live bluerunner on a 4500 Penn Spinfisher in about 800 feet of water out of Sebastian, FL.   We were actually bottom fishing for Golden Tilefish with an electric reel.  I just threw it out there, because what the hell…

Bonus fish!

(btw, if you aren’t familiar with Golden Tilefish, their color is stunningly beautiful.  And delicious.)

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Today was both the best of days (weather, vibe, just a great day to be out of doors in DC) and not the best of days (way too many lost rigs to snags, usually after huge bites!)....

2023-10-27JonesPointPark-ChannelCatfish.thumb.jpg.a9537f3f96ffee60a60814cc305b8a96.jpg

One small Catfish (within the first ten minutes, turned out to be the only landed Kitty of the day).

2023-10-27JonesPointPark-GreenSunfish1.thumb.jpg.dace47bdfaa1dd019dcc7ca261e16233.jpg

And a mehly ok Green Sunfish (I think, the Sunfishes are always hard for me to tell apart tbh) while fishing for catfish bait, lol.

But man was it a nice day to be outside.  

• Upvote 1