Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

2 minutes ago, Hal said:

zach-wilson-gif.gif

36wv8R.gif

jY8Mrv.gif

vQZ505.gif

I could keep going, but he’s not afraid of getting hit. 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Which of these clips shows him not being afraid of getting hit? I’m not saying he’s an outright coward, but I do think he has that Madden-player mentality where getting touched by a defender is the end of the play. And for him, because of his size, it is the end of the play.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s been over-used quite a bit by many over the years on JN.  All to protect the psyche of those who emotionally invested in sh*tty young QBs. 

Probably more to protect the community from boring, repetitive, no-new-information, sh*tty posts dropped hundreds of times into dozens of threads everyday, but I digress…

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Probably more to protect the community from boring, repetitive, no-new-information, sh*tty posts dropped hundreds of times into dozens of threads everyday, but I digress…

I mean, we watched Zach Wilson play football for the Jets less than 72 hours ago. It’s a germane topic! 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, we watched Zach Wilson play football for the Jets less than 72 hours ago. It’s a germane topic! 

These guys are lucky to have you back. You work at your craft. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, doitny said:

after 2 very good years with Rodgers (hopefully) he retires and in 2025 we go with Zach Wilson? 

after all that good success that will give Saleh and JD new life and probably new contracts there going to risk that with the worst QB in NFL history with 20 or more starts.? they would be really stupid to do that. so stupid it could cost them their jobs because we already seen this movie, and nobody will give them a pass for this.

NO

they will get a QB either in the draft or FA or both. no way they take the risk of give Zach the team in 2025.

Zach Wilson is done as a Jet. he is only on this roster cause nobody wants him and it would cost us more to cut him than keep him.

Its possible what you're saying is true but Im starting to think that Douglas and Saleh believe in his underlying physical abilities, and think he still could be great with some time learning and watching Rodgers.   His contract and salary cap have some impact on the decision to keep him, but they could have brought in a better back up than Boyle if they were concerned.

The kid is young and if he ends being an upper tier QB in 2-3 yrs, who cares if we missed out on playing him during the “cheap” yrs of his contract.  If he is looking like he is figuring it out and maturing, they will keep him till Rodgers hangs em up.  If he doesnt seem to be getting it, then I could see them pivoting to a FA or draft pick when Rodgers quits.  They know how important the position is to their future and will make sure that its covered one way or another.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Its possible what you're saying is true but Im starting to think that Douglas and Saleh believe in his underlying physical abilities, and think he still could be great with some time learning and watching Rodgers.   His contract and salary cap have some impact on the decision to keep him, but they could have brought in a better back up than Boyle if they were concerned.

The kid is young and if he ends being an upper tier QB in 2-3 yrs, who cares if we missed out on playing him during the “cheap” yrs of his contract.  If he is looking like he is figuring it out and maturing, they will keep him till Rodgers hangs em up.  If he doesnt seem to be getting it, then I could see them pivoting to a FA or draft pick when Rodgers quits.  They know how important the position is to their future and will make sure that its covered one way or another.

dont drink the kool aid cause he had an "ok" game at best vs the backups to the backups. i guess if he continues to be "ok" at best in preseason more people will think we might keep him after Rodgers. we cant make that mistake again based off of preseason games.

imagine we do to Rodgers what GB did to him. in 2 years Rodgers says he wants to play another year or 2 and we say, no sorry but we are giving Zach his 5th year extension cause he played "ok" in preseason and this is our last chance to see him. 

you might be right and he does end up being an upper tier QB in 2-3 years but we cant take that chance on preseason games. 

if you remember Zach looked real good in his 1st year during the preseason. we all thought he was the FQB we hoped for. that didnt turn out to well for us.

as @slats pointed out to me in another thread, we cant send Zach to the PS cause that means we cut him and guaranteed his whole contract. Boyle or anyone else was never going to be the backup.

10 minutes ago, doitny said:

dont drink the kool aid cause he had an "ok" game at best vs the backups to the backups. i guess if he continues to be "ok" at best in preseason more people will think we might keep him after Rodgers. we cant make that mistake again based off of preseason games.

imagine we do to Rodgers what GB did to him. in 2 years Rodgers says he wants to play another year or 2 and we say, no sorry but we are giving Zach his 5th year extension cause he played "ok" in preseason and this is our last chance to see him. 

you might be right and he does end up being an upper tier QB in 2-3 years but we cant take that chance on preseason games. 

if you remember Zach looked real good in his 1st year during the preseason. we all thought he was the FQB we hoped for. that didnt turn out to well for us.

as @slats pointed out to me in another thread, we cant send Zach to the PS cause that means we cut him and guaranteed his whole contract. Boyle or anyone else was never going to be the backup.

Zach was better his first games in the NFL.  Bad bad coaching.  

His footwork is improving.  He’s throwing with touch again.   He’s sliding around in the pocket not going backwards.  He’s going through progressions.  (It’s sad to look and see all of this was good for him in college btw) 

And that’s all background stuff.  Not a worry one way or the other this season.

The Jets have on of the top QBs in history.  Like 15 months ago he was given his last MVP.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hal said:

He’s sliding around in the pocket not going backwards.

he would be going backwards if Miles Garrett had played.

i need to see him vs real NFL players who are not playing a vanilla defense before i change my mind on him. and if that happens were all screwed cause that means Rodgers got hurt.

3 hours ago, slats said:

He says in a thread that’s currently 15 pages long.

But sure it’s just us!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, doitny said:

he would be going backwards if Miles Garrett had played.

i need to see him vs real NFL players who are not playing a vanilla defense before i change my mind on him. and if that happens were all screwed cause that means Rodgers got hurt.

Ok.

He’s got to keep working either way.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hal said:

Zach was better his first games in the NFL.  Bad bad coaching.  

His first six games: 58% passing, 4 TDs,  9 INTs, sacked 18 times, gets injured on a wild scramble near his own sideline. I know we were all excited by the two deep shots vs the Titans, but that was the last time anyone bothered playing cover two against Zach Wilson. Bad bad QB.

IMG_4204.jpeg

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His first six games: 58% passing, 4 TDs,  9 INTs, sacked 18 times, gets injured on a wild scramble near his own sideline. I know we were all excited by the two deep shots vs the Titans, but that was the last time anyone bothered playing cover two against Zach Wilson. Bad bad QB.

IMG_4204.jpeg

Upon further review, Hal is not wrong. That was as good as Zach ever played. Touche, sir.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

Im not drinking anything and Im not saying that Wilson will end up the long term answer.  

im saying that I think the Jets are still thinking Wilson can be molded into a top flight QB with more time and ARods mentoring.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not going to go point by point with you because you can make the “[Bust QB] would have been better if he went to the right environment” about literally every QB who’s busted. It’s all academic at this point, especially now that Rodgers is here for, hopefully, multiple seasons. The major problem for Zach Wilson—and all the metrics bear this out—is that he can’t function under the pressure of a pass rush, and that’s a do or die skill in the NFL. It’s fun that he’s making some throws in practice this season, but it’s meaningless to call it “improvement” until there’s a threat of Zach getting hit. We know he played in a mush college offense where he was almost never pressured, and the few times he was, he sh*t his pants. We know that he sh*ts his pants under pressure now. There is no coaching technique that turns a guy who hates contact into a guy that can handle contact. You can put a fork in this tiny dudebro from the Utah burbs. 

Tom, you are wrong  I saw every game that Zach played at BYU, and your statement that every time he was pressured he sh*t his pants is not true.  Your statement that he hates contact is also wrong.  If you had seen only the Coastal Carolina game you'd know that was BS. On one run he hurdled players knowing that he as going to take a hit and hit the ground hard.  When the two Coastal Carolina players hit him after he had thrown the ball and took him to the ground, he didn't flinch, and he got back up and continued playing hard.  I saw his poise and toughness in many other games too.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Barton said:

Zach Wilson had the game winning penalty kick for Sweden today. 

It’s unfortunate but the US choked.

With all the pressure on Sweden after their misses, you have to at least put it on target and make the keeper do something.

More takers should go right down the middle.  Keepers dive one way or another over 90% of the time.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All I see is that @Dunnie has 30 more posts than me 

But only the “negative” ones get his ire. It’s not the quantity, it’s the content. As it always is with this particular mod going on 20 years. Just continue on. He’s not going to ban us for saying Zach sucks a lot. All bark, no bite.

Philosophical question: is harping about others harping about something, harping?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Tom, you are wrong  I saw every game that Zach played at BYU, and your statement that every time he was pressured he sh*t his pants is not true.  Your statement that he hates contact is also wrong.  If you had seen only the Coastal Carolina game you'd know that was BS. On one run he hurdled players knowing that he as going to take a hit and hit the ground hard.  When the two Coastal Carolina players hit him after he had thrown the ball and took him to the ground, he didn't flinch, and he got back up and continued playing hard.  I saw his poise and toughness in many other games too.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Im not drinking anything and Im not saying that Wilson will end up the long term answer.  

im saying that I think the Jets are still thinking Wilson can be molded into a top flight QB with more time and ARods mentoring.

I think Saleh and Douglas saw the team completely melt down last year in large part because of Zach's play and lack of team leadership.   They gave up the farm to get Rodgers.  Even with the double check discount they spent a fortune on him.  Zach is sunk cost but he's already been paid.  If Rodgers arm explodes and the Jets don't make the playoffs a new HC and possibly GM will not be putting their future on Zach Wilson's football IQ.  

The story that Zach is in a reset and is the long term answer is a fairy tale for little children.  He doesn't need coaching or a mentor, he needs the Wizard of Oz to give him a brain.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Upon further review, Hal is not wrong. That was as good as Zach ever played. Touche, sir.

I've stayed out of this thread because I had long assumed that the Zach conversation was over, but to read some of the posters in here still defending him is ...... mind blowing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

JaMarcus might have worked out if he actually cared about being a professional and wasn't getting high on Purple Drank. I think Zach put the work in and doesn't have any substance abuse problems .... yet he was still as atrocious as JaMarcus. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

JaMarcus might have worked out if he actually cared about being a professional and wasn't getting high on Purple Drank. I think Zach put the work in and doesn't have any substance abuse problems .... yet he was still as atrocious as JaMarcus. 

Some guys have it and some don’t. It’s an extremely niche skill set to effectively run a modern NFL offense. Most high draft picks don’t fail for talent reasons (it’s why they were drafted high) by for the mental game / slow processing. A minority fail because of personal demons / failings. Jamarcus is in the latter category, Zach the former. 

• Upvote 1