Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

8 minutes ago, Hal said:

A 20 minute JT video from 6 plays… 

Circling AntiZaxers…

The season is now officially underway!! 

(And yes I’ll be watching every last minute of the video later lol) 

Is letting him play in the preaseason too much to ask?

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Love this guys analysis. Overall not bad, some Aaron Rodgers teaching showing through, but still a little too worried about the pass rush and rushing things.

A major complaint is that Zach held on the ball too long. Now he is rushing things. He has yet to develop a feel and cadence for the game. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Love this guys analysis. Overall not bad, some Aaron Rodgers teaching showing through, but still a little too worried about the pass rush and rushing things.

Good video.   I love the angles he gets.   The video angles alone make these great.

1) He’s processing faster.  @jgb wasn’t wrong in saying this was too slow the first 2 seasons.   This is big.  

2) play 1.   Fine throw and read.   Decisive and confident.   Nice to see.  

3) The bomb - Strev or Mike White were not making that throw.   That’s the reason he’s getting another shot with the Jets.  

4) fall down play.  I like that he came off the first guy so fast.   I think JT is right about chilling in the pocket in general.  The lane to throw this pass closed off so spinning out was fine on this one though.   There was no way he could see the route once it closed.

Once he spins out I’d like to see him keep engaged in the passing game make the throws in college - including back across the field.  He seems to shut down in the NFL at that point and that’s the huge upside to him.   

5) “The worm burner” that triggered @T0mShane wasn’t that bad.  Not much there but he was decisive and took a shot.  WR was held so it might have been a fine location as well. 

6) the one that hurts - the deflected ball was the rep that JT should have harped on about not being more patient - it’s the rep the complaints about the fall down play belonged on.  

Dropping back and making the reads is going better.  I think it’s slowing down but not where it needs to be yet.  That could have been another splash play and Zach can make that throw if he saw it.  

I think there is progress.   Zach is a good QB2 option this season.  Keep working with him coaches and AR!  It’s starting to pay off.  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If he is smart he is going to want to stay here.  He is developing in this system under hackett.  To put in 2 to 3 years of mastering it only to be traded to the Cardinals would be stupid on his part.

Zach's best chance of being a star qb and making a ton of money in the long term is replacing Rodgers and flourishing under hackett.

I believe him and his family know this.  There is a long game being played here with Zac Wilson.  I believe everyone understands this.

Even though the Jets dropped the ball his rookie season and didn't put him in a position to succeed, they have now.  If they truly haven't given up on him, hopefully he won't give up on them.  Hopefully, they can come up with an incentive-laden deal with escalators if he reaches certain goals.

I don't know if it's his best chance, as there could be a team out there with a quality HC and OC who run a system or will adapt a system that is more conducive to Zach's talents.  The WCO may never be the right or best system for Zach.

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No it’s Hackett’s fault.  Next year it will be Brian Schottenheimer

"Hackett was so stubborn and wedded to his system he refused to adapt when Zach came in for a quarter in week 11 and threw 2 picks to lose the game."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hal said:

I think there is progress.   Zach is a good QB2 option this season.  Keep working with him coaches and AR!  It’s starting to pay off.  

This is like something you’d write about a guy you drafted in the fifth round last year. The Raiders are currently talking about Aidan O’Connell in these terms

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s a different standard for the #2 overall pick in his third training camp whose had 22 starts in the NFL. 

Have you seen the Raiders fan who posts here?  People say lots of stuff.

You have feelings about Zach you need to process.  I’ll help.  

***Free Help From Hal***

Hug yourself and pat yourself on the back and say “there there” to yourself while you type about your feelings about Zach.  That’s from me.

Don’t say I never sent the RS good vibes your way!! 

*** End of Free Help From Hal***

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s a different standard for the #2 overall pick in his third training camp whose had 22 starts in the NFL. 

Your suggestion is now to not play him as the back up because he was drafted too high?

He was drafted three years ago he now is what he is. A project.  
honestly not sure if your point here. 

19 minutes ago, Hal said:

Have you seen the Raiders fan who posts here?  People say lots of stuff.

You have feelings about Zach you need to process.  I’ll help.  

***Free Help From Hal***

Hug yourself and pat yourself on the back and say “there there” to yourself while you type about your feelings about Zach.  That’s from me.

Don’t say I never sent the RS good vibes your way!! 

*** End of Free Help From Hal***

It was ALBERT BREER NOT SOME RAIDERS HONK

IMG_4206.jpeg

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Your suggestion is now to not play him as the back up because he was drafted too high?

They should try to find a better #2, but that’s not the point. I was responding to Hal, who’s talking about Zach Wilson like he’s a baby deer who was run over by a cement mixer and is re-learning how to walk on his new prosthetic deer legs.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They should try to find a better #2, but that’s not the point. I was responding to Hal, who’s talking about Zach Wilson like he’s a baby deer who was run over by a cement mixer and is re-learning how to walk on his new prosthetic deer legs.

One of the deers rare traits will allow him recover from a cement mixer.  Once it learns to use the little prosthetic deer legs look out! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Obviously Matt LaFleur was driving the truck 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That is maybe his point. As you say Zach is a “ project. “ A major project. Kid has all the tools, from all we hear has intelligence, gets it in practice. Yet had multiple consecutive games as worst qb in history of nfl. With 2 years left on contract, shouldn’t give up yet no matter how much of a longshot he is to be a NFL starter. But a team with s small window as a real contender to win it all with a HOF qb, team deserves better than a major project as Backup qb. He should be in the 3 hole. 

37 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets shouldn’t carry three QBs, and I strongly doubt that they will. 

They are putting all their chips on rodgers, Easy to understand why. They don’t even want to consider Aaron missing any time. But to not buy insurance in case rodgers missed a few games just so Zach feelings/confidence is not hurt, is a bit counterproductive for the new mission. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They are putting all their chips on rodgers, Easy to understand why. They don’t even want to consider Aaron missing any time. But to not buy insurance in case rodgers missed a few games just so Zach feelings/confidence is not hurt, is a bit counterproductive for the new mission. 

Nothing to do with Zach so much as the roster spot. Rodgers hasn’t missed a start in five years, so that’s a big part of what they hope he brings to the table, and also there’s no backup QB out there who’s gonna fill the gap if Rodgers misses a significant amount of time. They are all in on Aaron and it’s far more important to have backup weapons, OL, or even edge rushers than it is to add another QB who the team hopes never sees the field. It’s just a poor use of cap or roster space, and -like I said- I don’t expect them to do that. 

As much as Zach is the worst person to ever impersonate a QB in public, the team opened 5-2 with him as the starter last year. They demonstrated they could win with him, as ugly as it may’ve been. That’s all you need from a backup. 

On 8/6/2023 at 1:55 PM, JKlecko said:

2. JD allowing Saleh to hire MLF as the OC and Rob Calabrese as the QB Coach. Great, so you have a rookie HC with a defensive background who has never worked with a QB before, and he hires one of his best friend's little brother who has had zero experience as an OC, calling plays or working with/developing QBs, and he hires a rookie QB Coach. If they had the attitude that I've heard quoted that they'd all grow up together, then they're delusional and stupid.

I don't agree with the whole post but this part isn't even debatable.

I harped on it last year as well, the arrogance of a first time HC hiring all these first time coaches & coordinators, while installing new systems on both sides of the ball, while the team was lacking talent at a bunch of positions, and oh yeah breaking in a rookie QB who - for all the wows he was capable of doing with his arm - was clearly not ready to start, and who merely had to not perform worse in camp than the two other camp arms, neither of whom had taken an official NFL snap themselves.

Whether Wilson ever would be, in the right situation allowing him to be eased along, is certainly debatable, but that'll eventually be shown in time anyway (I'm not a subscriber to the "permanently ruined" idea unless injuries are involved). What's clear is he shouldn't have been out there week 1 as a rookie with the coach/player version of blind leading the blind.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Btw teams can now dress a third QB during the course of a game and not count them against the Gameday  roster but can activate them if both QBs injured during game. https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2023/5/22/23733380/nfl-rule-changes-2023-emergency-third-quarterback-rule-approved

that’s huge. Thanks for pointing that out I was unaware. 

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Nothing to do with Zach so much as the roster spot. Rodgers hasn’t missed a start in five years, so that’s a big part of what they hope he brings to the table, and also there’s no backup QB out there who’s gonna fill the gap if Rodgers misses a significant amount of time. They are all in on Aaron and it’s far more important to have backup weapons, OL, or even edge rushers than it is to add another QB who the team hopes never sees the field. It’s just a poor use of cap or roster space, and -like I said- I don’t expect them to do that. 

As much as Zach is the worst person to ever impersonate a QB in public, the team opened 5-2 with him as the starter last year. They demonstrated they could win with him, as ugly as it may’ve been. That’s all you need from a backup. 

Agree it likely would cost $ or draft capital. But if say Rodgers really did hurt his pinky toe and it would affect him, I think they would pivot to make sure had a dependable qb to hold down games until rodgers came back. I understand team somehow won early with Zach. But he definitely steadily declined a great deal as season went, and finished at his lowest. He lost the entire team, and they were saying “ please anyone but him .” Rodgers has played through a lot of injuries in past. Last yr the broken thumb on throwing hand. Remember the 65% of snaps fine print. If Aaron has an ailment that is effecting his play ( like last yr) and resting him a few games could improve his effectiveness, don’t be surprised if that played a minor part in how they rested him if it’s going to be close. JD fought pretty hard to keep that in trade deal it was said. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Agree it likely would cost $ or draft capital. But if say Rodgers really did hurt his pinky toe and it would affect him, I think they would pivot to make sure had a dependable qb to hold down games until rodgers came back. I understand team somehow won early with Zach. But he definitely steadily declined a great deal as season went, and finished at his lowest. He lost the entire team, and they were saying “ please anyone but him .” Rodgers has played through a lot of injuries in past. Last yr the broken thumb on throwing hand. Remember the 65% of snaps fine print. If Aaron has an ailment that is effecting his play ( like last yr) and resting him a few games could improve his effectiveness, don’t be surprised if that played a minor part in how they rested him if it’s going to be close. JD fought pretty hard to keep that in trade deal it was said. 

Honestly, that’s all well and good, but who are you signing? Carson Wentz? Matt Ryan? They can probably wait and see if such an emergency actually takes place first, and those guys will probably still be available.