Cimini: How QB Aaron Rodgers is putting his stamp on the Jets

C Mart

32 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

As a Jets fan I love hearing all this but it also makes me cringe a little bit that they’re still flooding these guys with “why is Aaron so great?!”. 

I don't think it's any harm now.

Now, if we get to Week 1, Week 2 and they're still fawning.....I presume that would mean AR is playing great, so again, what's the harm. 

Fawning like a schoolgirl to the media doesn't imply they're not the things they should themselves, does it?

It will be great to see if the fans coalesce around the team and Aaron if we get off on the wrong foot and lose a cpl games early.

But even if the fans (and the media) do a 180 and go south on Aaron, he has the will power to lift a team up by their bootstraps. He never panics, just keeps getting himself and the team better. We saw this last season when the Pack lost a bunch of games and were out of the PO race...Aaron said to just told his teammates to just stay focused, and like that they won a bunch of games late and were one win away of makinig the POs.

I can see him doing something like that around here if he needs to!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As I've said before this season has only to possible outcomes,

1 - Spectacular success where the Jets are really really good , make the playoffs and probably win a game or two at least

or

2 - Colossal failure.

Ain’t that the truth. I think we’ve all seen jet teams paying too much attention to press clippings and not enough to what happens on the field.  The spate of penalties over the past couple of seasons kinda indicates a lack of discipline.  These are those hidden yards that parcells used to harp on.  Hopefully Rodgers will be enough of a leader on the field and in the locker room so players will be held accountable for stupid plays.

im leaning towards some good success this season although the true measure of this team won’t be seen until game four or five.  Hopefully they get there with a couple of wins.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1 - Spectacular success where the Jets are really really good , make the playoffs and probably win a game or two at least

or

2 - Colossal failure.

What’s a colossal failure? Like 5-12? Broncos type season?

I see it being more of a frustrating annoying losing season if it goes that way. Dumb mistakes leading to a 8-9 season. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

or

2 - Colossal failure.

If the season is a failure, it’d be because 1. Rodgers gets hurt, or 2. Sauce gets hurt and the defense falls on its face. Presuming we get ~15 starts out of Rodgers and Saleh holds up his end of the bargain defensively, it’s really difficult to imagine the nightmare Denver scenario. 

• Upvote 4

If the season is a failure, it’d be because 1. Rodgers gets hurt, or 2. Sauce gets hurt and the defense falls on its face. Presuming we get ~15 starts out of Rodgers and Saleh holds up his end of the bargain defensively, it’s really difficult to imagine the nightmare Denver scenario. 
If the team is that reliant on two lynch pin players ... It is not a very good team.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If the team is that reliant on two lynch pin players ... It is not a very good team.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

How reliant are they?  Same team was rolling just great until they lost Breece Hall and AVT. The defense took a huge jump last year and didn't face much adversity.  I get not trusting how good they might be but there is no reason to expect they will fall apart if Sauce misses a few games.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers is more valuable to this team. The Jets would survive Sauce

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Good read but a bit frustrating that AR needs to point all these things out and that Saleh doesnt have positional coaching in place to see many of these same things.   Glad AR is here and being a good teammate and leader. 

Also enjoyed JFM getting frustrated that  AR gets rid of the ball so quick it doesnt give JFM time to even make a late hit on the QB

3 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Good read but a bit frustrating that AR needs to point all these things out and that Saleh doesnt have positional coaching in place to see many of these same things. 

Also enjoyed JFM getting frustrated that  AR gets rid of the ball so quick it doesnt give JFM time to even make a late hit on the QB

Meh. Outside of the ZW stuff it’s mostly the players communicating with each other with what they see and what works and Rodgers demanding the best. 

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

What’s a colossal failure? Like 5-12? Broncos type season?

I see it being more of a frustrating annoying losing season if it goes that way. Dumb mistakes leading to a 8-9 season. 

A Ryan Fitzpatrick type year of 10-6 and miss he playoffs would be a colossal failure.

We have an 'all world' defense, offensive weapons and we just sold out everything on Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

With what the jets have done this off season and the talent they have colossal failure is a wide category.   Missing the playoffs even with like 10 wins would be a colossal failure.

We simply do not know what Rodgers has left in the tank until we actually see reg season games.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A Ryan Fitzpatrick type year of 10-6 and miss he playoffs would be a colossal failure.

We have an 'all world' defense, offensive weapons and we just sold out everything on Rodgers.

That is not even close to a colossal failure. 

plus there is 17 games now. 

8 hours ago, C Mart said:

And via The Athletic:

"Rodgers has also made a valuable impact on third-year quarterback Zach Wilson. The pair have been friends for quite some time, so the Jets knew the chemistry would be fine despite the dynamic of bringing in an established veteran to take over the job of the 2021 No. 2 pick.

Rodgers has helped Wilson improve his command of the offense. For example, if Rodgers is running the two- or four-minute offense in practice, he’ll go through each play afterward with Wilson to detail what he was thinking, why he checked a play at the line of scrimmage, how he saw a route against a specific coverage or even why he let the clock run down to a certain point.

It’s impossible to predict how long Rodgers will be with the Jets or how Wilson’s future with the team will play out. But Wilson has benefited from Rodgers’ tutelage."

Aaron has to toughen Zach up. He can retain all the knowledge from Rodgers, but it won’t do any good if he is still a scared weak little boy back there. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

That is not even close to a colossal failure. 

plus there is 17 games now. 

It was a colossal failure for fitzpatrick that year according to many and it would be for a jets team that has brought in coaches and players galore for rodgers and despite his contract reneg invested money and lots of draft resources to get him.

Yeah, that would be a big fail miss the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It was a colossal failure for fitzpatrick that year according to many and it would be for a jets team that has brought in coaches and players galore for rodgers and despite his contract reneg invested money and lots of draft resources to get him.

Yeah, that would be a big fail miss the playoffs.

Missing the playoffs would be a giant fail they may get everyone fired 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Missing the playoffs would be a giant fail they may get everyone fired 

If miss playoffs JD may be gone. Even if jets don’t go far into playoffs , maybe due to OL. That’s all on JD, and he’s gone. Saleh is safe as long as rodgers is here, because Hackett is here. But it would jetslike to fire HC and GM, keep OC ha.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If miss playoffs JD may be gone. Even if jets don’t go far into playoffs , maybe due to OL. That’s all on JD, and he’s gone. Saleh is safe as long as rodgers is here, because Hackett is here. But it would jetslike to fire HC and GM, keep OC ha.

I’m not sure whether Saleh or JD is safer but the Jets have to make the playoffs this year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think woody will demand more than just making playoffs. Home game or road win is minimum for JD to keep his job. Maybe it’s higher..

You might be right but Woody is a noodge and I don’t see him firing anyone after the first playoff year in 13.

• Upvote 1

Well, Joe Douglas will be due for an extension pretty soon....he's starting his 5th season now, and next year will be his final on the initial 6 yr deal. Most GMs are extended (or fired) before starting their final year.

So....Joe will either be made a multi millionaire (again), or fired. But I can't imagine Joe Douglas on the open market too long. 6 minutes maybe? Tops?

If JD gets canned, which team would you LEAST like to see him go to? What if Kraft fires wild Bill and hires Joe? How crazy would that be.

49 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Well, Joe Douglas will be due for an extension pretty soon....he's starting his 5th season now, and next year will be his final on the initial 6 yr deal. Most GMs are extended (or fired) before starting their final year.

So....Joe will either be made a multi millionaire (again), or fired. But I can't imagine Joe Douglas on the open market too long. 6 minutes maybe? Tops?

If JD gets canned, which team would you LEAST like to see him go to? What if Kraft fires wild Bill and hires Joe? How crazy would that be.

Ha he will be hired as someone’s flunky. For drafting biggest bust in NFL history, and failing to do the number 1 reason why he was brought here to fix, the OLine. 5 yrs is quite a long time to fix something that is your supposed specialty. I think Aaron will bail him out though, and hope this line can just do enough to allow Aaron to be great, take team where it’s been so hungry to go.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha he will be hired as someone’s flunky. For drafting biggest bust in NFL history, and failing to do the number 1 reason why he was brought here to fix, the OLine. 5 yrs is quite a long time to fix something that is your supposed specialty. I think Aaron will bail him out though, and hope this line can just do enough to allow Aaron to be great, take team where it’s been so hungry to go.

For fun I Googled Joe's initial deal. Jets offered him $1.5 million per year, 4 years. Ended up doubling that to $3M per, and 6 years. I'll never need an agent, but if I ever do I want Joe's agent! I wonder how much Gase had to do with Woody opening his purse strings....GM pay comes right out of his checking account, so I give woody some credit. 

And ya, Joe was supposed to be an O-Line Whisperer. I guess we have to wait to see how this season pans out, but yikes so far.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

For fun I Googled Joe's initial deal. Jets offered him $1.5 million per year, 4 years. Ended up doubling that to $3M per, and 6 years. I'll never need an agent, but if I ever do I want Joe's agent! I wonder how much Gase had to do with Woody opening his purse strings....GM pay comes right out of his checking account, so I give woody some credit. 

And ya, Joe was supposed to be an O-Line Whisperer. I guess we have to wait to see how this season pans out, but yikes so far.

do remember that, and I too just refreshed myself on details. He was playing hard to get and nobody else wanted to work with gase lol, so he had woody by the nuts. He is betting a lot on this Oline. I do think it wether it holds or not, will impact if he is back.. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-end-season-with-offensive-line-shambles-joe-douglas