Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

American Football GIF by Seattle Seahawks

For all the 'know it alls' who guarantee things. ZW may not be here much longer, but haven't any of you learned anything, or do you just ignore all your misses as though you bat 1.000? It's like ZW broke your heart, and now there's nothing but hate for him as though you're some stage five clinger female who has to take shots at her ex whenever possible. Fact is the Jets, as they usually do, drafted a QB in the first, and then ****ed it up. Maybe the player can redeem himself with the right system/staff, and some time to be coached up. We'll see how things go either way. Chances are his time here is done, but maybe his time isn't done here, and those of you claiming to know absolutes should start being honest with yourself about how many times you've been wrong and right. We've all been wrong on this board often regardless of what your ego tells you. For the record once ZW is off the team I won't give a sh*t about him as I root for his Jets jersey. However, until then I'll hope for the best knowing that it's in the Jets interest for him to succeed, even if in limited duty so he can be traded for something instead of just cut, as opposed to those here who have actively or passively rooted for him to fail at every step often for petty reasons like wanting to have drafted someone else. Geno isn't amazing but he showed he wasn't dog sh*t either, and can win at this level. Maybe if his initial coach here at the time wasn't a blatant clown Geno would have learned a little about maturity and discipline earlier, but even then there were people rooting against him even before he took a snap for the Jets.     

Following your logic, Geno never should’ve been a Jet because we would’ve been waiting at least 8 years to double-triple check that we weren’t giving up on Sanchez too soon.

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

It's certainly possible that the Jets decline Zach's 5th year option in 2024, then sign him to a Sam Darnold-esque 1 year $4.5m extension to back up Rodgers for his 3rd and final season with the Jets in 2025.

We'll need to see how the next couple of years go.  The odds of Zach needing to step in for Rodgers at some point are pretty high.  He'll have a chance to either prove himself or sh*t the bed.  This is the Jets after all.  We'll have a much clearer picture at that point.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

If the Jets win the Super Bowl before that moment, he can easily survive that. 

I don't know if you have been keeping up with current events, but JD has constructed a Super Bowl caliber roster. Forced his HC hands by firing his best friends brother and hiring an established OC. JD has been nothing short of great and people like yourself, think he should be fired because of drafting misses. Serenity Now!

i think you got it all wrong pal. i am one of JD biggest supporters. i dont even want him fired if we miss the playoffs this year as i think he put together a real good team. thats all you can ask of a GM. its the HC who has to as Parcells said, cook the meal. 

what im saying has nothing to do with him drafting Zach, it is if in 2025 he 

1. resigns Zach for 2025 and makes him the 2025 starter. and Zach fails as he has the last 2 years , can he survive that? 

how many times can he let the same player fail. 

i dont know if you read some of the posts in this thread but there are some who think Zach should get 2025 to see if he learned something from watching Rodgers for 2 years. 

Brain Cashman has had the Yankees in the playoffs more times than any other team during his years here by far. if they miss the playoffs for only the 5th time in the 26 years he will be fired most likely.

Buck Showalter was Manager of the year last year with 101 wins and will probably be fired at the end of the year. 

Mike Tannebaum who built the 2009 and 2010 Jets to back to back AFCCGs was fired 2 years later.

good will for winning doesnt last long in sports. 

55 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Not possible that Zach shows he deserves a shot, the jets decline his 5th year option, and give him a 2 year contract that pays him mike white type money? I’m not holding my breath for Zach but there have been some late bloomers in the NFL before. 

Highly, highly unlikely. I cannot think of many (any, actually) first round QBs that signed 2nd contracts to be a backup on their drafted team. The bust wants a fresh start, and some other team thinks they can salvage him and thus values the player more than the team who knows first-hand that he stinks.

• En Fuego 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Has anyone noticed that the same folks now resting on "we'll see if Zach develops while being the backup" are in many cases the same folks who insisted Zach must start right away without any competition, because QB's don't develop while backing up, they only learn by playing.....

same people who were the last to jump off Zachs Ship. 

actually, now i see they never did get off. there writing us from the bottom of the Atlantic. shocked they get WI-FI down there.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Not possible that Zach shows he deserves a shot, the jets decline his 5th year option, and give him a 2 year contract that pays him mike white type money? I’m not holding my breath for Zach but there have been some late bloomers in the NFL before. 

Pretty much not possible if history is any guide.  

And since there’s a not insignificant chance Rodgers is still the starter here in 2025 it makes it even less so.  

Even in the unlikely scenario of Zach being a “late bloomer” as you say, it’s pretty much a lock that his 2nd or 3rd team would be the beneficiaries of that, not the Jets. 

Douglas can, and should, look to reset the QB contract clock with a drafted QB rather than running it back with Wilson.  A midround QB in the ‘24 draft is the right call.  

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

same people who were the last to jump off Zachs Ship. 

actually, now i see they never did get off. there writing us from the bottom of the Atlantic. shocked they get WI-FI down there.

They’ll never get off. People were rooting for Darnold last year even though each Panther win reduced the value of the draft pick Jets would receive in that trade. Something just activates a dormant maternal part of the fan brain when it comes to young QBs.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's certainly possible that the Jets decline Zach's 5th year option in 2024, then sign him to a Sam Darnold-esque 1 year $4.5m extension to back up Rodgers for his 3rd and final season with the Jets in 2025.

Why would Wilson and his agent accept such an offer?

• Post of the Week 2

59 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

American Football GIF by Seattle Seahawks

For all the 'know it alls' who guarantee things. ZW may not be here much longer, but haven't any of you learned anything, or do you just ignore all your misses as though you bat 1.000? It's like ZW broke your heart, and now there's nothing but hate for him as though you're some stage five clinger female who has to take shots at her ex whenever possible. Fact is the Jets, as they usually do, drafted a QB in the first, and then ****ed it up. Maybe the player can redeem himself with the right system/staff, and some time to be coached up. We'll see how things go either way. Chances are his time here is done, but maybe his time isn't done here, and those of you claiming to know absolutes should start being honest with yourself about how many times you've been wrong and right. We've all been wrong on this board often regardless of what your ego tells you. For the record once ZW is off the team I won't give a sh*t about him as I root for his Jets jersey. However, until then I'll hope for the best knowing that it's in the Jets interest for him to succeed, even if in limited duty so he can be traded for something instead of just cut, as opposed to those here who have actively or passively rooted for him to fail at every step often for petty reasons like wanting to have drafted someone else. Geno isn't amazing but he showed he wasn't dog sh*t either, and can win at this level. Maybe if his initial coach here at the time wasn't a blatant clown Geno would have learned a little about maturity and discipline earlier, but even then there were people rooting against him even before he took a snap for the Jets.     

There’s like 3-5 Jets in franchise history who went on to success elsewhere.  Riggins, Farrior, Demario Davis….that’s about it.  

Meanwhile there’s thousands who sucked here and saw their careers end or failed elsewhere.

Seems to me YOU are the one that has “learned nothing”.

• Upvote 2
  • En Fuego 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone noticed that the same folks now resting on "we'll see if Zach develops while being the backup" are in many cases the same folks who insisted Zach must start right away without any competition, because QB's don't develop while backing up, they only learn by playing.....

Yes and they’re virulently opposed to making him earn the QB2 spot but I’d bet my mortgage that if Rodgers misses time and Zach (predictably) stinks, they’ll be howling how the Jets sabotaged Zach’s rebuild by not having a veteran QB who could man the fort so Zach could have a red shirt year.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

The second biggest reason the Jets wanted Arod was so he could teach Zach and turn him into a starter so they could go from one to the other when Arod hangs em' up.  I thought this was completely obvious, but I guess not to everyone.

your kidding right?

you get AR because he is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. 

it will be interesting to see how Jordan Love does this year. after being under Rodgers "Tutelage" for 4 years. if he sucks i wonder if some people will change there minds about Zach learning anything.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

your kidding right?

you get AR because he is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. 

it will be interesting to see how Jordan Love does this year. after being under Rodgers "Tutelage" for 4 years. if he sucks i wonder if some people will change there minds about Zach learning anything.

It’s incredible how people can honestly believe — and I think they actually do — that replacing a bust with an expensive 39 year old replacement is because the team feels good about the bust’s future.

Honestly, it is so self-disproving that I really hesitate to even swat it away, but I have very little impulse control when I detect stupidity..,

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

It hasn’t happened in league history that I can recall. 

Neither has trading for a future HOF quarterback who won MVP in two of the last three seasons.  And then it happens.

I'm just going to bow out of this one.  I've stated plenty of times that Zach's chances of turning into something are slim to none leaning heavily toward none.  I just don't like the definitive "I know exactly what the future holds" stances that many seem to be taking lately while talking down to others.  It's possible, however unlikely, that Zach ends up with a backup level contract with the Jets at some point.  It's possible, however unlikely, that Zach develops into a player the Jets view as Rodgers' replacement in a few years.  Neither I nor anyone else knows what events will transpire over the next two years.  I'll just leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

For all the 'know it alls' who guarantee things. ZW may not be here much longer, but haven't any of you learned anything, or do you just ignore all your misses as though you bat 1.000?

Haven't missed on a Jets QB prediction in well over two decades+. 

*cough* Patrick Ramsey *cough*

It's like ZW broke your heart, and now there's nothing but hate for him as though you're some stage five clinger female who has to take shots at her ex whenever possible.

Might want to look in a mirror mate, that post of yours reads like peak "leave Brittney alone" emo, lol.

Fact is the Jets, as they usually do, drafted a QB in the first, and then ****ed it up.

Why do you hate the Jets? Maybe you need therapy? I thought you embraced the suck?

We'll see how things go either way.

No sh*t, really?  We will?  Who knew!  LOL.

Chances are his time here is done

So you hate Zach Wilson too, eh?

, but maybe his time isn't done here

Don't let that fencepost you're sitting on hurt your butthole.

For the record once ZW is off the team I won't give a sh*t about him as I root for his Jets jersey.

Oh of course, the usual folks will have someone shiny and new to write posts like this about after Zachy is gone. 

Any Zach talk will be "beating a dead horse" then.  Homers are never wrong, they just move on and avoid any talk of their previous wrongness.

However, until then I'll hope for the best knowing that it's in the Jets interest for him to succeed, even if in limited duty so he can be traded for something instead of just cut, as opposed to those here who have actively or passively rooted for him to fail at every step often for petty reasons like wanting to have drafted someone else.

Why do homers feel the need to flog this "rooting for success" idea, as if anyone here WASN'T rooting for every Jet player and the Jets team  to succeed, lol.

Is the difference between opinion and fandom that hard to grasp?

I root for the Jets to succeed.

I predict Zach Wilson will not become a great starting QB.

These are not mutual exclusive ideas the way some homers seem to think they are. 

Thinking the second does not invalidate the first.

Geno isn't amazing but he showed he wasn't dog sh*t either, and can win at this level. Maybe if his initial coach here at the time wasn't a blatant clown Geno would have learned a little about maturity and discipline earlier, but even then there were people rooting against him even before he took a snap for the Jets.     

So, were you an advocate for retaining Geno Smith for as long as it took him for to "get it"?  Were you willing to start Geno Smith all those many season, skip on Danrold, skip on Wilson, stick with Geno and only Geno, because you were sure he'd become the Geno of 2022?

Or is Geno exactly the example of the (very rare) guys who sucks, takes several years and one or several other teams, before he gets it?  

Not sure "but, but, but Geno Smith!" is the exemplar you want to use for Zach Wilson. 

• Post of the Week 3

11 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Because it's in the ball park of the best offer on the table?

Wildly unlikely. If he sits behind Rodgers for 2 years, someone is throwing him a lifeline far better than what you outlined

you can root for ZW here to develop and believe in his potential. Contractually however you need to update your reality. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Haven't missed on a Jets QB prediction in well over two decades+. 

*cough* Patrick Ramsey *cough*

Might want to look in a mirror mate, that post of yours reads like peak "leave Brittney alone" emo, lol.

Why do you hate the Jets? Maybe you need therapy? I thought you embraced the suck?

No sh*t, really?  We will?  Who knew!  LOL.

So you hate Zach Wilson too, eh?

Don't let that fencepost you're sitting on hurt your butthole.

Oh of course, the usual folks will have someone shiny and new to write posts like this about after Zachy is gone. 

Any Zach talk will be "beating a dead horse" then.  Homers are never wrong, they just move on and avoid any talk of their previous wrongness.

Why do homers feel the need to flog this "rooting for success" idea, as if anyone here WASN'T rooting for every Jet player and the Jets team  to succeed, lol.

Is the difference between opinion and fandom that hard to grasp?

I root for the Jets to succeed.

I predict Zach Wilson will not become a great starting QB.

These are not mutual exclusive ideas the way some homers seem to think they are. 

Thinking the second does not invalidate the first.

So, were you an advocate for retaining Geno Smith for as long as it took him for to "get it"?  Were you willing to start Geno Smith all those many season, skip on Danrold, skip on Wilson, stick with Geno and only Geno, because you were sure he'd become the Geno of 2022?

Or is Geno exactly the example of the (very rare) guys who sucks, takes several years and one or several other teams, before he gets it?  

Not sure "but, but, but Geno Smith!" is the exemplar you want to use for Zach Wilson. 

You’re in my mind. It tickles.

• Haha 2

Or that the guys who keep complaining about Zach have never once denied killing Jimmy Hoffa? 

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s incredible how people can honestly believe — and I think they actually do — that replacing a bust with an expensive 39 year old replacement is because they feel good about the bust’s future.

Honestly, it is so self disproving that I really hesitate to even swat it away, but I have very little impulse control when I detect stupidity..,

funny thing is these guys came out of there hole after a PRESEASON game. 

yeah he put up good numbers but they all came on dump offs. i think the ball traveled an avg of 3 yds?? 

ohh i see a little improvement, he didnt move backwards.... yeah cause the starting defense wasnt out there blitzing the sh*t out of him. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Neither has trading for a future HOF quarterback who won MVP in two of the last three seasons.  And then it happens.

Neither has a waxing gibbous appeared through a cloud break over the Samoan Islands at exactly 19:25 Greenwich Mean Time at the same moment that Zach Wilson was eating a ham sandwich in New Jersey.

Therefore, we know nothing and can make no informed extrapolations about Zach’s future.

17 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Unprecedented suckage leads to unprecedented solutions.  This isn’t helping your case.  Wilson sucked so much the Jets did something that’s never been done before to fix things.  

Why then would they do anything other than move on from Wilson following 2024? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hal said:

Or that the guys who keep complaining about Zach have never once denied killing Jimmy Hoffa? 

I’m not complaining about Zach. I’m explaining reality patiently and slowly to people who are either arguing in bad faith or are hopelessly deluded. What can I say, I’m a philanthropist and I don’t like to see minds slip through the cracks.

And even if it were complaining, at least he’s on the team. Fans complaining about fans complaining about the Jets… that’s the one that’s going to need to be explained before you can claim any high ground — moral, logical, or otherwise — that people shouldn’t criticize Zach.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

They don’t have to pick up his option to re-sign him. 

No they don’t. As well as Zach and his rep team don’t have to resign here either. Nor will they want to. You’d have to be certifiable to be Zach Wilson and want come back here after being benched and replaced.