Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

23 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Why would he not say this now?

get what he can out of rodgers.  Then decide in 2 years what to do. 

Zach has no choice but to play good soldier now after his team player cred took a hit last year. He could mean it, he could not, but in either scenario he would act the same way because it’s in his interest to do so.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He has handled things as good as he could have. He messed up with the I didn't let the defense down interview. Other than that he is trying to do and say all the right things.

I always felt the impact of that after game gotcha quote was overstated.  It's not like things were peachy if he kept his mouth shut.  The team was done with Zach at that time.  All he did was light the fuse to make what was already known inside the locker room turn into internet fodder that drove clicks and eyeballs for the Jets beat reporters...

On 8/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, they do have to decide on the 5th year option by May of 2024….

Thats just 9 months away.  

Not if he wants to stay. 
He likes it here.  The Jets still believe in him.  Pretty sure he’s marrying our niece, she lives here, her family lives here. 
Funny reading all the 99%+ chance he’s living posts, as if people have any clue what he’ll do.  Guess the thinking is he’s going to get lots of offers?  

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets and Aaron Rodgers have outright come out and said it several times lol… some of you on here really just can’t comprehend what goes on outside the jetnation message board lol

In fairness, there is a long list of "things they said" they went back on, changed their minds on, or outright immediately did something different, over time.  Simply "saying something" doesn't mean very much.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny, that’s never a comment that follows he’ll never amount to anything.  

I can't speak for others, but I generally say thing like this all the time.  Despite what some have said, I'm rarely a "this WILL happen, there is no other possabillity" kinda guy.

I believe strongly Zach is a bust.  Belived that well before we picked him, while he played those first two seasons, and still believe it now.  Of course there is a possibility he turns it around, turn our great, and does so as a Jet, despite not having his 5th year taken, in some kind of extension.  It would be unprecedented in the history of the NFL if all that happened, but it's possible I suppose.  Just very, very unlikely.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There’s like 3-5 Jets in franchise history who went on to success elsewhere.  Riggins, Farrior, Demario Davis….that’s about it.  

Meanwhile there’s thousands who sucked here and saw their careers end or failed elsewhere.

Seems to me YOU are the one that has “learned nothing”.

More than that. Vilma and Hugh Douglas immediately come to mind. Plenty more

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

I can't speak for others, but I generally say thing like this all the time.  Despite what some have said, I'm rarely a "this WILL happen, there is no other possabillity" kinda guy.

I believe strongly Zach is a bust.  Belived that well before we picked him, while he played those first two seasons, and still believe it now.  Of course there is a possibility he turns it around, turn our great, and does so as a Jet, despite not having his 5th year taken, in some kind of extension.  It would be unprecedented in the history of the NFL if all that happened, but it's possible I suppose.  Just very, very unlikely.  

Problem is he isn’t a 5 year pro.  He hasn’t played 2 full seasons.  Trevor Lawrence wasn’t much better than ZW after his rookie season and didn’t turn it around to become the next big thing until mid season of year 2.  Pretty much the same 20 or so games Zach is at.  Think the Jets look at Zach as a developmental project, not a bust who’s career is over like fans who forgot when QBs took 3+ seasons to develop.

Lots of QBs in the history of the NFL start off slow, take years to develop.  Will he?  Have no idea but do know all the posters who state as fact he never will are as funny as all those who claimed Q would never amount to anything, was a dumb lazy pick and should be traded for a 3rd round, if we’re lucky.  

He likes it here, Zach and his family trust the organization to now do right by him.  He idolizes AR and wants to learn from him, believes it’s the best scenario for his development.  I’ve said it before but he’s dating my wife’s niece, she lives in NJ, the families are close, I’m betting they get married.  There’s plenty of reason to believe he’d want to stay.  He’s not getting a better offer elsewhere 

• Upvote 4

I think it’s all about that third year. The Jets are not picking up Zach’s fifth year option. If Rodgers retires after year 2, I can see them giving Zach a 2 year contract and Zach would probably stay because he’d start. If Rodgers stays for a third year , there is zero chance Zach re signs  

• Sympathy 1

There’s like 3-5 Jets in franchise history who went on to success elsewhere.  Riggins, Farrior, Demario Davis….that’s about it.  

Meanwhile there’s thousands who sucked here and saw their careers end or failed elsewhere.

Seems to me YOU are the one that has “learned nothing”.

John Abraham, H Douglas, Moss, Terrence Mathis?

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fish ... I know you have not altered view ... Respect.

Zach will improve and be a starter either for this team or another.

I'm thinking a contract next summer or a trade.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Zach has no choice but to play good soldier now after his team player cred took a hit last year. He could mean it, he could not, but in either scenario he would act the same way because it’s in his interest to do so.

Watch Hard Knocks.  Or Zach play.   

I called it a long time ago.  He does not GAF and could not hide it if he wasn’t a good soldier.  He’s loving this time to learn.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I think it’s all about that third year. The Jets are not picking up Zach’s fifth year option. If Rodgers retires after year 2, I can see them giving Zach a 2 year contract and Zach would probably stay because he’d start. If Rodgers stays for a third year , there is zero chance Zach re signs  

I think Zach would resign for a chance to compete to start on a prove it deal.  Also, not worth worrying about.   It will probably work itself out.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he retires after 2024 we’re currently on the hook for over $80M of it in the form of dead cap, so it’s a lot riskier than Jones’.  

You are wrong on this. It’s 49mm dead cap hit. 

in fraction if jones is gone after 2024 his dead cap is over 60mm

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

He’s not sitting for 3 full years. 

He going to XFL I guess lol. He has to prove he can be a dependable backup, before someone gives him a real shot to start again. Hopefully he can show that in practice, garbage time, etc. As opposed to Aaron getting hurt. Right now there is a lot of question as to wether he can be a number 2 in the league. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He definitely did but I'm willing to write it off to him being a young QB who maybe was trying to defend his teammates on offense.  I don't think he's "entitled" or a jerk or anything like that.  And I agree that he's absolutely handled things the right way ever since.

Yeah he messed up and didn't realize it. But he said his Dad called him so he then realized it a few seconds later for sure. Tough place to play, more so when you struggle.

The league churns these kids in and out. In the old days kids sat for years. The new CBA makes that an impossibility. But I think what they are trying is worth a shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Disagree. Rodgers contract is very reasonable. 

It’s only “reasonable” if we expect him to be here a while.  He could retire after this year and screw us.  I think he’ll be here 3 years myself but still.  It’s a big contract that came with risk, and the Jets wouldn’t have made the move if they believed in Wilson.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s only “reasonable” if we expect him to be here a while.  He could retire after this year and screw us.  I think he’ll be here 3 years myself but still.  It’s a big contract that came with risk, and the Jets wouldn’t have made the move if they believed in Wilson.  

Jets wouldn’t allow the time spent on Zach if they didn’t believe 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

The Jets and Zach’s team have made it abundantly clear both publically and privately- you’re the one being naive, choosing to resist the facts because it doesn’t jibe with what you personally believe should happen.

I’m not saying anyone should agree or disagree with the Jets play here; they are a unique brain trust who don’t look at past precedent, they don’t believe in groupthink. They don’t care if it hasn’t happened before, nor do they care if the “accepted way” is to send the player somewhere else so they can get a “fresh start”. They think he can have a fresh start inside their own locker room and are committed to it 

do they care about there jobs? 

even though they said other wise they knew they could not bring back Sam Darnold for another year and have him suck. the backlash from the fans and media would kill them.

they also knew they couldnt bring back Zach this year thats why we were all in on a QB, any QB. again a 3rd year of sucking by Zach would sink them, thats why they were in danger of being fired this year if they dont win.

now your telling me their plan is to start Zach in 2025. ? he is not on the roster anymore so that means they will look at him and other FAs and chose him when this year they would have took ANYBODY to replace him? again the backlash would be real bad. whatever they do these next 2 years to save their jobs would be thrown out the window if Zach fails. i cant see them taking that chance.

self-preservation, everyone has it. they have to know there better off finding another QB, any QB to start in 2025 instead of Zach. 

2 years of Zach being the worst QB in the NFL and then 2 years of not being able to identify that Zach hasn't improved while backup would be too much incompetence to survive. how does Woody keep them to draft another QB in 2026 after that.

your sources are wrong or there not getting told the truth. you have been wrong before like last year when you kept saying they want Zach to finish out the year. but he only can back after White got hurt in the Buffalo game. then they brought back an obviously still injured Mike White for Seattle over a healthy Zach who wasnt even active for the game.

since were so far away from any discission being made it makes sense to just say they believe in him even in private. the last thing they need is a leak saying they dont trust Zach. we know they dont trust him, thats why we were all in on a QB this year. 

• WTF? 2

12 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

American Football GIF by Seattle Seahawks

For all the 'know it alls' who guarantee things. ZW may not be here much longer, but haven't any of you learned anything, or do you just ignore all your misses as though you bat 1.000? It's like ZW broke your heart, and now there's nothing but hate for him as though you're some stage five clinger female who has to take shots at her ex whenever possible. Fact is the Jets, as they usually do, drafted a QB in the first, and then ****ed it up. Maybe the player can redeem himself with the right system/staff, and some time to be coached up. We'll see how things go either way. Chances are his time here is done, but maybe his time isn't done here, and those of you claiming to know absolutes should start being honest with yourself about how many times you've been wrong and right. We've all been wrong on this board often regardless of what your ego tells you. For the record once ZW is off the team I won't give a sh*t about him as I root for his Jets jersey. However, until then I'll hope for the best knowing that it's in the Jets interest for him to succeed, even if in limited duty so he can be traded for something instead of just cut, as opposed to those here who have actively or passively rooted for him to fail at every step often for petty reasons like wanting to have drafted someone else. Geno isn't amazing but he showed he wasn't dog sh*t either, and can win at this level. Maybe if his initial coach here at the time wasn't a blatant clown Geno would have learned a little about maturity and discipline earlier, but even then there were people rooting against him even before he took a snap for the Jets.     

Zach will never amount to s

• Haha 2

On 8/14/2023 at 2:45 PM, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  I've only been here a few weeks, and that was the most egregious example of someone posting like their opinion was fact.  No other post I've seen has been even close.  I post on another site where I see that kind of post all the time, and I've been posting on Jets fan sites for over 20 years and have seen that frequently from a few posters, but not the majority of posters.  That's why I decided to give this site a shot.

369F4034-A307-4357-BB93-321EECD4D6E8.gif.1ca32873c2a9e1719d6a069b6b0099f2.gif😂 

• Haha 1

.... All the while Zach stands ... Stacking solid practice after solid practice ... Playing better each outing ... Quietly honing the edge of his skills.... Improving under the tutelage of The Master .... To one day be unleashed upon all doubters ... and thus vanquishing them to the bowels of oblivion from the Emerald Throne of Greatness ...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, sackdance said:

We Wilson truthers are like those cicadas that bury themselves and reappear every 17 years. Except our cycle will be up in, oh, about 2 years time. That's when we'll pop out of the ground and start talkin' arm angles and throw velocities.  

Funny how quickly one can go from “you’re beating a dead horse” to “see! I was right!” if the player in question has a decent game seven years later.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Oh I’m sure if it ends up exactly like jgb, 80 and others and I think it will, you’ll still tell us we were wrong. Or to stop beating the dead horse. Nothing ever changes really.

TBH this entire debate is dumb as long as AR is healthy.

It’s only beating a dead horse to point out elements that support one side, of course. If he hits a screen pass in a pre-season game it’s perfectly fine to re-open the topic to declare him “fixed.”

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lots of QBs in the history of the NFL start off slow, take years to develop.  Will he?  Have no idea but do know all the posters who state as fact he never will are as funny as all those who claimed Q would never amount to anything, was a dumb lazy pick and should be traded for a 3rd round, if we’re lucky. 

I don’t know anyone — certainly not among the most vocal anti-Zachians — who believe it is a “fact” that he will never develop into a FQB. Sure, when posting on the Internet, each post cannot be expected to contain the entire thesis of one’s beliefs with attendant caveats and sometimes we may post “he sucks and will always suck,” or something. But we have been very clear by posting data and precedent from league history to conclude that “it is very unlikely that he ever becomes a FQB.” But yeah, I’m sure you can iso some posts and ignore the vast body of others to say “See! You made an absolute statement about his future!” 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He likes it here, Zach and his family trust the organization to now do right by him.  He idolizes AR and wants to learn from him, believes it’s the best scenario for his development.  I’ve said it before but he’s dating my wife’s niece, she lives in NJ, the families are close, I’m betting they get married.  There’s plenty of reason to believe he’d want to stay.  He’s not getting a better offer elsewhere 

It’s never happened in league history that a busted first round QB was replaced by the team that drafted him and was then either extended for a second contract to be a backup and/or became a FQB for his drafted team.

5 hours ago, Hal said:

Jets wouldn’t allow the time spent on Zach if they didn’t believe 

If they didn’t believe what would they do? Lock him under the stairs like Harry Potter and send his guaranteed paycheck via owl?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s never happened in league history that a busted first round QB was replaced by the team that drafted him and was then either extended for a second contract to be a backup and/or became a FQB for his drafted team.

How many young struggling QBs played on a team that had the luxury of replacing him with a HOF QB?  
On a team that still believed in the young QB’s talent and fully intend on trying to develop the young guy? 

None? 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

.... All the while Zach stands ... Stacking solid practice after solid practice ... Playing better each outing ... Quietly honing the edge of his skills.... Improving under the tutelage of The Master .... To one day be unleashed upon all doubters ... and thus vanquishing them to the bowels of oblivion from the Emerald Throne of Greatness ...

i cant wait to see how the tutelage of the "master" works on Jordan Love this year. 4 years of tutelage.

how is 2 years 75MM a big risk from the money side?  it's a middle of the pack QB contract.

if he retires in a year, then it was a bad trade - although from a contract side still the same.

of course the Jets don't believe in Wilson, but that's not what we were discussing

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How many young struggling QBs played on a team that had the luxury of replacing him with a HOF QB?  
On a team that still believed in the young QB’s talent and fully intend on trying to develop the young guy? 

None? 

Too innumerable to list all the QBs that failed to develop behind HOFers.

• Upvote 1