Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This list is meant to say what?  Guys like Osweiller didn’t get benched, kept as the backup to be groomed.  He was gone after 2 seasons.  Pretty much the opposite of what I asked.

Leinart started, was benched, backed up and was dumped for Anthony Wright, McNair wasn’t a HOF QB who was brought in at the end of his career to win and mentor Boller.  

Druckenmiller made 1 start in year one, was benched and never started in year 2 then was dumped

I gave up there

You are groping for irrelevant differences -- or at best non-determinative ones -- to impugn the best data set we have.

None of those guys were named "Zach," either so no predictions can be made!

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

You are groping for irrelevant differences -- or at best non-determinative ones -- to impugn the best data set we have.

None of those guys were named "Zach," either so no predictions can be made!

Unprecedented name + unprecedented elite special snowflake talent + unprecedented failure + unprecedented replacement and benching by HOF QB = unpresented resigning & future success!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Unprecedented name + unprecedented elite special snowflake talent + unprecedented failure + unprecedented replacement and benching by HOF QB = unpresented resigning & future success!

Math has many enemies on JN.

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. The team is stuck (financially) with Zach Wilson in 2023.  He could not be moved.

2. The need for a legit backup is minimal, Rodgers is an iron man who plays hurt and doesn't miss time.  And we're all-in on him.  Both mitigating the need for a "legit" backup.

3. Presumably we want to spend most of our post-AR cap dollars on supporting AR, not signing a backup (in addition to AR and in addition to Wilson) as insurance for AR and insurance in case Wilson sucks still.

4. Boyle brings system knowledge and player-coach type guidance for the offense on the sideline.

5. Zach Wilson is a non-entity in terms of pressure behind Rodgers should Rodgers play badly, get hurt and need to play hurt, or in any other way.  A different backup might create more pressure to go with that backup in certain specific situations than Wilson could.

6. None of the reasons above are evidence that "the teams feels Wilson is an adequate #2", although they MAY in fact feel that way.  I've said all along (to much criticism) that I believe JD still believes in Wilson, or at the least is putting it out there that he does for whatever reason ( I have reasons I believe he is doing so, but it is speculation).

Now, if this isn't clear enough as to my view on the topic, or if you feel this isn't a serious answer, then such is life.  I'm annoyed at myself I even replied with this tbqh.  

#1 isn't a disputed point; no one except a few angry online fans thought Wilson ever would have been cut. I said they chose QB2-Wilson/QB3-Boyle over QB2-Bridgewater/QB3-Wilson, not Wilson/Boyle over Bridgewater/Boyle.

#2 and #3 don't adequately answer why Boyle over Bridgewater, as they're approximately the same cost.

#4 is not a reason to have Boyle over a different veteran backup for the season imo; if they want him to be a coach they can hire him as an assistant coach. He had/has no value as an in-season rostered player once Rodgers was signed, and even as a camp arm to work with the roster bubble camp fodder he could've done so as the QB4 instead of Streveler, not as the QB3 instead of a Wilson/Bridgewater competition loser.

#5 is the one that I found the most strained logic of all (in terms of trying to rationalize anything other than being ok with Wilson as the QB2) more preposterous as a serious argument: whether it's Zach, Boyle, Bridgewater or ANY other QB signed, none are "pressure behind Rodgers" even if he as a string of bad games any more than Mariota - and Minschew before him - is a threat to (and a threat felt by) Jalen Hurts. The team has made an obvious and unequivocal commitment to Rodgers for the next two seasons; signing a $3MM QB2 for 2023 instead of a $1MM QB3 - obviously out of concern for Wilson taking the field - is not a challenge to the QB1.

#6 isn't a separate reason; it's a combo reiterating your prior ones before just agreeing with me again. My point was that - again, rightly or wrongly - the team believes in Wilson as being good enough for the QB2 job should he be needed for a series, a game, or some string of games; that was my entire point.

That, if a QB was needed for longer than that - e.g. Rodgers going on season-ending IR - and Wilson looked shaky in his first action this year, they'd probably call up Matt Ryan off his couch anyway. But for shorter-term QB2 duties their actions (not just their words) say they're ok with Wilson.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your life, your choice -- you want to be the before or after Becton picture?

Tolstoy wasn't Tolstoy because he wrote a 5-sentence summary of his thoughts and stopped there.

Tolstoy was also insightful

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

• En Fuego 1

You missed the point.  None of these QBs were handed the starting job for 2 years, lost their jobs to a HOF QB, had the FO believing he could be salvaged.  Rodgers sat from day, as did Young and Brady. 
Ah I disagree with your premise completely then ... You can't judge a guy that should not have started until he was coached up .. until he's been been ... You know .. coached up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Ok so 90% chance he sucks forever with nothing in between.
I think you need to hand off to someone else who advances arguments that support your position.
Right so it's HOF or bust in your book .. copy that.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Ah I disagree with your premise completely then ... You can't judge a guy that should not have started until he was coached up .. until he's been been ... You know .. coached up.

You can judge anyone at any time. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. The team is stuck (financially) with Zach Wilson in 2023.  He could not be moved.

2. The need for a legit backup is minimal, Rodgers is an iron man who plays hurt and doesn't miss time.  And we're all-in on him.  Both mitigating the need for a "legit" backup.

3. Presumably we want to spend most of our post-AR cap dollars on supporting AR, not signing a backup (in addition to AR and in addition to Wilson) as insurance for AR and insurance in case Wilson sucks still.

4. Boyle brings system knowledge and player-coach type guidance for the offense on the sideline.

5. Zach Wilson is a non-entity in terms of pressure behind Rodgers should Rodgers play badly, get hurt and need to play hurt, or in any other way.  A different backup might create more pressure to go with that backup in certain specific situations than Wilson could.

6. None of the reasons above are evidence that "the teams feels Wilson is an adequate #2", although they MAY in fact feel that way.  I've said all along (to much criticism) that I believe JD still believes in Wilson, or at the least is putting it out there that he does for whatever reason ( I have reasons I believe he is doing so, but it is speculation).

Now, if this isn't clear enough as to my view on the topic, or if you feel this isn't a serious answer, then such is life.  I'm annoyed at myself I even replied with this tbqh.  

Would seem to me anyone watching yesterday's hard knocks would realize the Jets right or wrong are still heavily invested in Zach

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Would seem to me anyone watching yesterday's hard knocks would realize the Jets right or wrong are still heavily invested in Zach

Yes it’s called $20M guaranteed still remaining in his contract 

Yes it’s called $20M guaranteed still remaining in his contract 
If that were the sole reason, they would be paying him to sit home and not be a distraction.

It's clear, if he continues to progress, ... he is the future ... And heir apparent.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

If that were the sole reason, they would be paying him to sit home and not be a distraction.

When has that ever happened in league history?

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

It's clear, if he continues to progress, ... he is the future ... And heir apparent.

And if I win powerball, I’ll bang two chicks at the same time.

It’s very interesting that, if there were one player that has had the most surprising camp of anyone on the team, it’s been Zach Wilson. He seems relaxed, happy with his role, and he has made huge leaps, in nearly every way, from last year. Yet this thread was necessary. Pretty pathetic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Until Zach does anything in a regular season game you guys will continue to have a gigantic omelette on your face

It’s fine to flap incessantly about Zach’s upcoming greatness but cut and paste some of Zach’s stats from the last two years and get accused of beating a dead horse. 

7 hours ago, JETS SB said:

It’s very interesting that, if there were one player that has had the most surprising camp of anyone on the team, it’s been Zach Wilson. He seems relaxed, happy with his role, and he has made huge leaps, in nearly every way, from last year. Yet this thread was necessary. Pretty pathetic. 

he should, he has not a worry in the world. he comes to work every day knowing he doesnt have to start and they cant cut him.

it was like "Play Now" with George Costanza. they couldn't fire him because he had a contract and George came to work every day to do nothing and get paid.

he is no longer the #1. there is no pressure on him. 

its not surprising he is playing well since he does this every year when its not for real. i posted earlier how he has almost the exact same numbers as he did his rookie preseason. 

and thats the Funny thing, your comparing preseason to regular season. real NFL players, Real NFL defenses in meaningful games vs half of the players without a job in 2 weeks, vanilla defense and games that mean nothing.

yeah he better have made huge leaps and bounds over that

• Upvote 2

Wilson keeps firing these no-look passes like he thinks he’s Mahomes.

He threw another one in joint practice vs Bucs.

It looks good when it works, but it’s not the sort of habit you want to encourage for an actual game situation.

It’s only going to mess with his footwork even more.

It’s like master the basics first bro. 

Save the trick shots for after-practice QB H-O-R-S-E.

17 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

i didnt see it but what did you expect they would do to Zach, lock him in a closet? take away his parking pass? change the locks on the QB room? 

Saleh is the definition of the "rah rah" super positive guy. he has been saying nice things to Zach for 2 years now. plus with the world watching they dont want any stories coming out that there not invested in Zach.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

he should, he has not a worry in the world. he comes to work every day knowing he doesnt have to start and they cant cut him.

it was like "Play Now" with George Costanza. they couldn't fire him because he had a contract and George came to work every day to do nothing and get paid.

he is no longer the #1. there is no pressure on him. 

its not surprising he is playing well since he does this every year when its not for real. i posted earlier how he has almost the exact same numbers as he did his rookie preseason. 

and thats the Funny thing, your comparing preseason to regular season. real NFL players, Real NFL defenses in meaningful games vs half of the players without a job in 2 weeks, vanilla defense and games that mean nothing.

yeah he better have made huge leaps and bounds over that

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions